Speeding British rider kills Phuket local

webfact

Minor fact: the bike is a Yamaha MT-07 and *does* have ABS.

Also I *think* it was not a rental bike simply because I haven't seen that model in this color being offered at the usual rental shops. I could be wrong of course.

Damage like this does not necessarily mean that high speed was involved. The forks seem to have broken off but the rest of the bike seems not bent or ripped off like it can easily happen at higher speeds when the bike flips over several times upon crashing. The rider probably was wearing at least half-way decent gear because he walked away without severe injuries while the local probably had no gear at all (judging from experience).

BTW: does the front tire look fairly new to others as well? The edge seems to have a large un-scrubbed area.

Speed may have been involved or not. CCTV might shed some light on this. The most likely situation is that both parties carry shared responsibility for this incident.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Flustered said:

I only quote out of personal experience about locals supporting locals. That is not half cocked.

How many serious accidents have you been involved in here in Thailand?

How many times can you honestly say you've had first hand experience in Thailand where locals sided with locals and blamed an innocent foreigner?

If you claim more than once, then you are either very unlucky or.......  

Edited by seancbk

Read my posts before asking questions. Post 58 4th paragraph.

I have only had one (1) side swipe scam and that is reason for my experience.

If however you have had many more scams/accidents, I bow to your inferior driving/riding

11 hours ago, Flustered said:

Read my posts before asking questions. Post 58 4th paragraph.

I have only had one (1) side swipe scam and that is reason for my experience.

If however you have had many more scams/accidents, I bow to your inferior driving/riding

You said in an earlier post "Witnesses mean Thai locals who will always blame the farang"

Which is just untrue.

Thais will not 'always' blame the Farang, the Police do not always blame the Farang either.

Maybe in your one case they did, but it doesn't mean they always do.   

FYI, I drove in Hong Kong but don't drive here because there is no need to have a car in Bangkok.   Even if I had one I'd only use it to go from one part of Sukhumvit to another, which would be pretty pointless given the BTS runs along that road and taxi's are available 24 hours a day.

Yet again I state.....It is my "personal" experience. I am not stating a fact but unlike several FMs who just want to start an argument, I am quoting from something that happened to me personally.

Perhaps it would help if these FMs had something to offer like an example of how they have been involved in an accident and had the police attend. How they were treated when confronted by a gang (about 10 or so) of teenage school kids. How they were treated when they asked the street side stall seller to explain to the police what really happened. ........She took one look at the kids and agreed with them.

My experience, my opinion based on real life

Edited by Sheryl
insult removed from last paragraph by moderator

On 2/22/2017 at 7:19 PM, NCC1701A said:

............ Or they use too much throttle and release the clutch to fast and then they have a real problem. 

Had a chuckle at that one, because that exactly describes my first (and last) attempt to ride an overpowered scooter- 40 years ago this year.

Dave Murray was stupid enough to let me try his old beater Honda (it was an old beater, but the love of his life that summer).  I'd ridden minibikes with centrifugal clutches, but never a real scooter.  Dumped the clutch, and you can guess what happened next.  Thank God Dave and I worked together at a gas station (back when they actually repaired vehicles).  After laughing his ass off, our boss Bill helped us pull off the brake pedal, bend it back into shape and put it back on....on company time, no less.

Ah, the good ol' days....young, stupid and bulletproof.  It wasn't until years later some of the hot chicks from our high school told us they would have loved to date us nerds. Good thing, because that would have ruined everything- we wouldn't have had time to hang out and play with our toys.

Edited by impulse

A number of posts have been removed for bickering/flaming and others edited for same reason.

The 3 party flamefest is officially over. You know who you are. Any further and all involved may find themselves with a posting holiday.

:post-4641-1156693976:

• 1 month later...
On February 21, 2560 BE at 3:18 PM, Canceraid said:

I hope that they lock up the farang for a very long time please. I simply despise foreigners who ride bikes in thailand. Its already bad enough with the thai bike riders but these foreigners are like on a suicide mission. And worst when they kill others.

I happens all too often.

I am sure all you bikers commenting here are responsible riders and understand the dangers on the roads , but as we have seen too many times , foreigners renting a big bike without experience and fatal accidents happens.  I think you're brave , I do not ride bikes in Thailand , only a car .

This was probably another accident that could have been avoided .  

On 2/24/2017 at 10:09 PM, eisfeld said:

The most likely situation is that both parties carry shared responsibility for this incident.

Most likely ? We don't know anything without facts . All we know is that the big bike was speeding and a Thai man is dead. 

Edited by balo

10 hours ago, balo said:

I am sure all you bikers commenting here are responsible riders and understand the dangers on the roads , but as we have seen too many times , foreigners renting a big bike without experience and fatal accidents happens.  I think you're brave , I do not ride bikes in Thailand , only a car .

This was probably another accident that could have been avoided .  

The fact is a man is dead, and he was hit by a SPEEDING Brit on a powerful bike. 

Some posters are very defensive. If you don't want to speed, why buy a powerful bike.

1 hour ago, Philthyphil said:

The fact is a man is dead, and he was hit by a SPEEDING Brit on a powerful bike. 

Some posters are very defensive. If you don't want to speed, why buy a powerful bike.

Many cruisers have very "powerful" engines and yet you hardly see them speeding. I guess you are not a big bike rider or you'd understand that speed is not the only thing that can be fun on a powerful bike.

22 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Many cruisers have very "powerful" engines and yet you hardly see them speeding. I guess you are not a big bike rider or you'd understand that speed is not the only thing that can be fun on a powerful bike.

You are correct.

i don't even own a little bike.

i am guilty of being a tourist many years ago who despite having no experience or even a license,  hired a bike and smashed it. It is people like me who shouldn't be on the roads, much like the Brit in the OP.

i did have a push bike for a while, but dogs kept going for my ankles.

On February 24, 2560 BE at 10:09 PM, eisfeld said:

Minor fact: the bike is a Yamaha MT-07 and *does* have ABS.

Also I *think* it was not a rental bike simply because I haven't seen that model in this color being offered at the usual rental shops. I could be wrong of course.

Damage like this does not necessarily mean that high speed was involved. The forks seem to have broken off but the rest of the bike seems not bent or ripped off like it can easily happen at higher speeds when the bike flips over several times upon crashing. The rider probably was wearing at least half-way decent gear because he walked away without severe injuries while the local probably had no gear at all (judging from experience).

BTW: does the front tire look fairly new to others as well? The edge seems to have a large un-scrubbed area.

Speed may have been involved or not. CCTV might shed some light on this. The most likely situation is that both parties carry shared responsibility for this incident.

So you are saying it isn't a tourist on a rental, but an experienced rider on his own bike?