Best locations for applying for Tourist Visas?

2 hours ago, blorg said:

@JB300 - the thing is, Thailand has a combination of factors that make it very pleasant, particularly for retirement. And one key one is the price, so if you are comparing with Switzerland as a possible retirement destination then you probably aren't very price concious, but many people here are.

Thailand is very cheap, I don't think you will really get much cheaper. It's a peculiarity, but neighbouring countries like Myanmar or Laos are not actually any cheaper to live in for a foreigner. I don't think anywhere is, in any appreciable amount, that "for X amount of money" you will have a much better lifestyle somewhere other than Thailand. Unless X amount of money is some enormous figure, say in the tens or thousands of dollars per month. For any sum between (say) $200 and $10,000 your money is probably going to go further in Thailand.

And then besides the cost, you have things like (1) weather, (2) infrastructure- the roads are pretty good, the electricity works most of the time, cell service is ubiquitous and cheap, internet is readily available, etc, (3) really beautiful scenery, (4) genuinely friendly people, (5) great food, (6) very good healthcare for a developing country, (7) very low crime rates- petty crime is almost non-existent here.

Cambodia for example has poor, dusty roads, is much less beautiful geographically than Thailand and has absolutely TERRIBLE healthcare- if you get sick there, they will probably kill you. A concern for many retirees. Crime is much higher- people will steal stuff. Good internet though. I actually like Cambodia and have spent a lot of time there, but on balance, Thailand probably has more positives.

Laos has terrible infrastructure, getting from one part to another takes forever. I'd also suspect the medical system there is terrible although I don't have direct experience of it like I do in Cambodia, Thailand and Malaysia, I was fortunate enough not to need it while there.

Vietnam I like a lot and is probably where I will go next. It is also a very beautiful country and inexpensive. But there are downsides such as the constant grind of having to negotiate the price of absolutely everything, everywhere, every day, all the time. If you think double pricing is a problem in Thailand, if that annoys you even in the slightest, Vietnam will drive you mad in that regard.

Southern Europe is much more expensive. There is the obvious benefit for Europeans that they can stay there indefinitely by right. Maybe not for British citizens. Eastern Europe is cheaper but doesn't have the year-round nice weather you get here.

South America has much higher crime rates, is in general more expensive and is both more difficult to get to (unless American) and to get around.

So sure, Thailand is not the only option, but it does have a pretty good mix of positive factors for someone looking to retire and I'm just not sure that there are really "(nowadays) there are far better places to retire for less money"... if there are, I'd be very interested in where you are thinking of.

I agree with the plus factors of Thailand that you outline. It's the immigration/visa issues that concern me most. Quite frankly I can see a time in the not too distant future when retiring or long term stays in Thailand will become out of reach for most. I think it's fairly safe to say that the authorities don't like farang and no longer want them staying in the country. Tourists are kind of OK - provided they come, spend as much as they can, then F off back where they came from.

As for those living here long term on retirement & marriage visas, would a doubling of financial requirements + full medical cover be within your means? If not then perhaps it's time to start looking around for alternatives. As for coming here fresh and starting from scratch....no way, it's over. The best days are gone. 

• Like 2

I agree a great blog very well said if things get out of hand in Thailand roll into Vietnam and hope for the best . I'm located in Chiang Mai life is good ATM machines on the side of the road . Where I come from they would all be stolen the same night .

I don't know what the deal is in China and Korea but they need to learn how to cross the street they would be killed in Bangkok. We should get together form some type of group or committee and present to the Thai Government a Grandfather clause for keeping the same price and regulations for the regular retired foreigners who have been in the country for a period of time .

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

No the first line is untrue. "Why retire to Thailand" was a question "other places are cheaper and have hotter women" was a statement. But if you are in a relationship and considering an Elite Visa why would those points concern you at all. 

I broadly agree with blorg, having experience of neighbouring states and Southern Europe. I was thinking of giving South America a try at one time but reports of the high crime rate brought me here instead. Beer here is not the best but I doubt that it is the worst and it is certainly not the most expensive. Presumably these SML's are cheap from a retailer not a bar, so how much for a bottle of 250ml or 330ml? And how much from an "average" bar. Compared with say 70 baht in a Pattaya bar and 100/120 in downtown Bangkok.

Like others on TVF I have been here on and off for pushing 20 years and have always kept an eye out for somewhere better/cheaper but not found a place suitable. Vietnam does come very close though.

Beer is typically cheaper in Philippines (ex Manila / AC), bottle of SML would usually cost 100-110php (70-75 THB ) in a decent bar with live music or a restaurant, cheaper than that elsewhere, but despite it's many charms (beautiful beaches) I just don't fancy moving there.

Blorg above sums up a lot of what I was originally thinking since deciding I wanted to retire to Thailand in 2008, TSFsums up my more recent thinking.

Nb I love Thailand, always have a massive smile on my face when flying into Bangkok, but can't help feeling it's quickly becoming much less Farang Immigrant friendly (malarkey with TM30s being the latest), maybe it will swing back but if you were retiring soon would you choose Thailand again?

Oh, can I add Malaysia (Langkawi, Penang, Mallacca not KL) to my list :)

• Like 2

Our reasoning for choosing Thailand is as simple as we fell in love with the place many many years ago. We have friends there. We speak basic Thai. The infrastructure is better than some other regions in SE Asia. It feels,like home every time we land there. :)

Financially we're fortunate that living costs aren't the epitome of concern. That said, no one finds pleasure in paying 3x what you otherwise could be. It's a balancing act. Hence why we're dipping a toe in, so to speak.

HK will be our first 'run'. Thank you for the advice guys.

Out of interest, with all things considered, where would you seriously consider as a less costly but semi-equal in terms of ex-pat life in the region on a 1-3 scale?

Our reasoning for choosing Thailand is as simple as we fell in love with the place many many years ago. We have friends there. We speak basic Thai. The infrastructure is better than some other regions in SE Asia. It feels,like home every time we land there. :)
Financially we're fortunate that living costs aren't the epitome of concern. That said, no one finds pleasure in paying 3x what you otherwise could be. It's a balancing act. Hence why we're dipping a toe in, so to speak.

HK will be our first 'run'. Thank you for the advice guys.

Out of interest, with all things considered, where would you seriously consider as a less costly but semi-equal in terms of ex-pat life in the region on a 1-3 scale?

Even though I said there were many places that were much cheaper than Thailand, in SEA, the fact is that the ones which are (e.g. Cambodia & Philippines) require you to compromise on things like infrastructure.

A serious contender would be Malaysia (MM2H is a great retirement program that includes being able to buy & own a house) & Vietnam seems to be up & coming (one to keep an eye on I think).

And despite my protestations, I really do love Thailand so will most probably bite the bullet & move there when I leave Singapore next year.

Enjoy HK & do get out to see the giant Buddha (IIRC Lantra island) worth it for the cable car ride alone :)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JB300 said:

Beer is typically cheaper in Philippines (ex Manila / AC), bottle of SML would usually cost 100-110php (70-75 THB ) in a decent bar with live music or a restaurant, cheaper than that elsewhere, but despite it's many charms (beautiful beaches) I just don't fancy moving there.

Blorg above sums up a lot of what I was originally thinking since deciding I wanted to retire to Thailand in 2008, TSFsums up my more recent thinking.

Nb I love Thailand, always have a massive smile on my face when flying into Bangkok, but can't help feeling it's quickly becoming much less Farang Immigrant friendly (malarkey with TM30s being the latest), maybe it will swing back but if you were retiring soon would you choose Thailand again?

Er :crazy: you said Davos not Davao, I was thinking why does this git with a lady with a big house in Switzerland want to come here. :shock1:

And no I would be looking at other places, it definitely is not as welcoming and easy-going as it used to be. A 90 day tourist visa followed by two 30 day extensions, and no limit on the times you could do this, that was the way when I first came.

Edited by rott
  • Like 1

Er :crazy: you said Davos not Davao, I was thinking why does this git with a Swiss lady with a big house want to come here. :shock1:

Lol... Sorry mate, slip of the fingers... I was wondering how Switzerland came up...

Davao (or Dabao as the gf says), Kapalong (approx 2 hrs drive north) to be precise...

Lol.. Davos!!! I'm no where near rich enough to retire there, besides, it's far too cold..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

The Thai authorities are well aware of the significant numbers of digital nomads in the country, and of the co-working spaces they typically use. In Bangkok and other areas of the country, these have been sprouting like mushrooms. A couple of years ago, one of them (up in Chiang Mai) was raided. However, this was an isolated event, and no one eventually was charged, although several people were found to be (technically) working illegally. It is widely assumed the raid was a mistake, and there have been no others anywhere. If the authorities were not turning a blind eye, it would be the easiest thing in the world for them to launch a series of raids and pick up hundreds, probably thousands, of digital nomads in a matter of hours.

Hey, not to be thick or troublesome, but thinking of someone who only needs an internet connection to work, no co-working space, I was wondering how such a person might fit under the rubric for "DN" as the Thai authorities see it.

32 minutes ago, PaPiPuPePo said:

Hey, not to be thick or troublesome, but thinking of someone who only needs an internet connection to work, no co-working space, I was wondering how such a person might fit under the rubric for "DN" as the Thai authorities see it.

You would be breaking the law, but at least not flaunting it in their faces like the people using the co-working spaces, writing about it on blogs, etc.  I hypothesize this is currently tolerated (not prosecuted), because there is no visa-category or work-permit existing for this type of work, and those doing it are not taking jobs in Thailand.  The only change which enforcement would bring, would be that these foreigner's incomes would be spent in other countries, instead of in Thailand.

Even if you do not work in Thailand, so do not need a work-permit, and live from overseas income, your visa/extension choices are: marriage, retirement (over 50 only), investment (10M Baht), Elite (500K+ Baht depending on how many years are purchased), or serial tourist-visas.  Note that retirement, marriage, and investment-based extensions can be renewed in-perpetuity.  When the rules for these have been changed in the past, those currently in the system have been 'grandfathered' in.

14 hours ago, JB300 said:

Even though I said there were many places that were much cheaper than Thailand, in SEA, the fact is that the ones which are (e.g. Cambodia & Philippines) require you to compromise on things like infrastructure.

A serious contender would be Malaysia (MM2H is a great retirement program that includes being able to buy & own a house) & Vietnam seems to be up & coming (one to keep an eye on I think).

And despite my protestations, I really do love Thailand so will most probably bite the bullet & move there when I leave Singapore next year.

Enjoy HK & do get out to see the giant Buddha (IIRC Lantra island) worth it for the cable car ride alone :)

I don't know where you get the idea that Cambodia is cheaper than Thailand.  It is tricky to compare Cambodia to Thailand, because the comfortable living price range is much greater in the Thai cities of BK and CM than PP (CR has a narrower range but is flat out cheaper at similar quality).  Some things like bread, cigarettes, alcohol and some international dining options are cheaper in PP, but comparing like for like,  housing is more expensive in PP and if you decide to purchase a condo, or even rent, you will be in for a surprise when you need to buy furnishings and housewares.  Add the poor infrastructure, petty crime, poverty and general third world feel and IMO anyway, PP is no bargain for permanent living.  Siem Reap seems to be a much better option for quality of life, but since I haven't actually lived there I cannot comment.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JB300 said:

Absolutely not. But hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'm sort of cemented in here now. Have a Thai wife, have many belongings, so I have to go with the flow and put up with their BS like the TM28/TM30 malarkey. But no way would I start all over again in Thailand. The writing is on the wall, and quite frankly I think anybody rolling up here today to set up life in Thailand is a bit daft. Alternatives? The obvious one is Cambodia. I was recently in Siem Reap and very much impressed. I haven't been to PIs for many years but have fond memories of several trips there. So both countries would be on my list of alternatives.

I have just discovered that Langkawi is duty free (or tax free or something) which translates to non-overpriced alcohol. Accommodation does not seem to be overpriced either. Added to Malaysia's relatively superior infrastructure and being a nice place could put it on the list for some. Bit small though.

To Mr Freedomnow, sorry about this, posted before i checked the OP. No wonder you get grumpy.

Edited by rott

On 28/02/2017 at 10:53 AM, rott said:

I have just discovered that Langkawi is duty free (or tax free or something) which translates to non-overpriced alcohol. Accommodation does not seem to be overpriced either. Added to Malaysia's relatively superior infrastructure and being a nice place could put it on the list for some. Bit small though.

To Mr Freedomnow, sorry about this, posted before i checked the OP. No wonder you get grumpy.

Langkawi has cheap booze (cheaper than Thailand never mind Malaysia), if your main purpose in life is booze then yes it is good for that. You'll get imported actual good beers from Belgium and Germany there cheap too.

Accommodation is definitely more expensive than Thailand, at least for hotels/guesthouses, never looked at long term. Substantially more, figure around double for the equivalent level.

Food is cheap and the food in Malaysia is fantastic.

There's not really that much there though and frankly the whole place just has a commerical, tourist-rip-off not very friendly, indeed in places rather menacing atmosphere... I really didn't like the overall feel of the place. Thailand is MUCH better in that regard, even in it's own "tourist rip-off" ghettos.

I also got robbed there, which has never happened in Thailand and which maybe soured me a bit. But Malaysia in general has just a different vibe to it that I really didn't like. I've spent maybe about a year there in total, it has its plus points but I MUCH prefer just the general atmosphere in Thailand, at the end of the day Malaysia is a Muslim country and there is that general oppressive feel with much less public life... much more family oriented and keep to themselves and stay in. Lovely people, really nice, and so hospitable, as are Muslims everywhere, I had my dinner bought for me all the time, but just not the sort of public vibe I really like.

Also, if you think Thailand is bad for visa runs, Malaysia is much much worse, I got the third degree coming back there having been out of the country over a month (in Singapore twice, and Indonesia). Needed a formal interview to argue my case I wasn't working there.

Maybe if you go the formal long stay visa route with MM2M or whatever it is but that is expensive but Malaysia will flag you doing visa runs a hell of a lot quicker than Thailand will, IMO.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
I think the best advice anyone could give you is to seriously rethink the whole idea of coming to live in Thailand and investing in property here. There are many indications that the Thai authorities no longer want foreigners living in the country. Immigration regulations have become much tougher recently, there are penalties for not reporting your movements within 24 hours. In all likelihood the long-term visas and extensions are going to become tougher to obtain and more expensive.

The best days of Thailand are over. If I were in your shoes I'd be considering other countries.

Thailand is still OK to live even if ant as good as it used to be. But just don't have anything you can't walk away from if you have to. Like a wife or Husband kids or property.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, lisatr12 said:

The best location to apply for a tourist visa is definetely Nepal. It will be definitely worth it. If you want adventure, you can go on a hiking on Himalayas trails, and if you want a picturesque view, you can go to Pokhara. 

May I ask if you have successfully applied for a Thai tourist visa in Kathmandu? If so, when was this, what is your nationality, and what supporting documents were you asked to provide? I am quite interested in a visit to Nepal, but would prefer to be able to get a visa while there. I have been a little deterred by this on the embassy website:

To prevent the security issue that may occur, the Embassy has reserved full rights to refuse the visa for the foreigner who are non-residence in Nepal and travel into Nepal for the tourist purpose.

• Like 1