Incoming ambassador to U.S. calls treatment of Mexico 'unacceptable'

webfact

Incoming ambassador to U.S. calls treatment of Mexico 'unacceptable'

REUTERS

r12.jpg

Geronimo Gutierrez, Mexico's incoming ambassador to the United States, speaks at a hearing in Mexico's Senate in Mexico City, Mexico February 21, 2017. REUTERS/Jose Luis Gonzalez

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico's incoming ambassador to the United States on Tuesday slammed U.S. President Donald Trump's treatment of its southern neighbour as "unacceptable" and called for a migration mechanism to avoid illegal crossings by Mexicans to the United States.

Geronimo Gutierrez, who will be Mexico's third ambassador to the United States in less than a year, was speaking at a hearing in Mexico's Senate.

"The treatment received by our country is unacceptable and clearly not favourable," he said. "Trump and his government deserve respect and they will get it in so far as its reciprocal."

Gutierrez did not provide further details about the migration mechanism.

The U.S. government released guidelines on Tuesday showing almost all undocumented migrants will be subject to deportation, but protections will be left in place for "dreamers" who entered the country illegally as children.

Gutierrez, who is expected to be ratified by the Mexican Senate this week, held senior posts in the two previous administrations headed by the opposition centre-right National Action Party (PAN).

(Reporting by Anahi Rama; Writing by Christine Murray; Editing by Richard Chang)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-22

"Trump and his government deserve respect and they will get it in so far as its reciprocal."

Hmm...let me try to figure this out. What Trump is trying to do is to get reciprocal with its southern neighbor. Mexico has a wall in its south border and very stringent immigration laws against illegal aliens that try to penetrate its border. What Trump is trying to do is the same. Reciprocal enough?

7 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

A lot of money is sent to Mexico from the USA, much by illegals. A lot of families in Mexico have food on their table courtesy of the bad evil Americans.

Estimates are about 50% of remittances to Mexico are from undocumented workers.  A lot of money.  But could be dealt with if the US had better immigration policies.  Allow workers in, but tax their earnings.

There are more Chinese illegals/overstayers in the US, than Mexicans. 

4 hours ago, huanga said:

"Trump and his government deserve respect and they will get it in so far as its reciprocal."

Hmm...let me try to figure this out. What Trump is trying to do is to get reciprocal with its southern neighbor. Mexico has a wall in its south border and very stringent immigration laws against illegal aliens that try to penetrate its border. What Trump is trying to do is the same. Reciprocal enough?

I think the Ambassador's thoughts were a bit garbled and/or mis-translated.  I think he meant to say:  "If Mr. Trump wants respect, he should act respectful."

I haven't seen a wall on Mexico's southern border.  Granted, it's been awhile since I went across the border (about 7 times) between Mexico and Belize, but back then it was a porous border, with people going back and forth to shop and whatever other reasons, without hassles.

9 hours ago, huanga said:

What wall on Mexico's southern border are you talking about? :stoner:No fake news sources por favor.

3 hours ago, Grubster said:

How can one get respect from a screwed up country like Mexico?

By being even a bigger screw up judging by Trump's so-called Mexican diplomacy?

Mexican respect might be a good thing for Trump. Apparently part of Trump's new undocumented enforcement program is to send undocumented immigrants who crossed the Mexican-US border having no other criminal record back to Mexico while US Customs vets their qualifications to legally enter the US. The US can't force Mexico to accept non-Mexican immigrants and Mexico can control the pace to which it would accept back Mexican immigrants.

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

By being even a bigger screw up judging by Trump's so-called Mexican diplomacy?

Mexican respect might be a good thing for Trump. Apparently part of Trump's new undocumented enforcement program is to send undocumented immigrants who crossed the Mexican-US border having no other criminal record back to Mexico while US Customs vets their qualifications to legally enter the US. The US can't force Mexico to accept non-Mexican immigrants and Mexico can control the pace to which it would accept back Mexican immigrants.

Mexico has started cracking down on illegal immigration from Central America.  CA makes up about 1/2 of the people that cross the border into the US.  Years ago, I saw some road checkpoints and even asked if my wife was from CA!  I quickly told her to speak Thai.  They never heard of Thailand so I told them she was from China. LOL  Sadly, corruption is rampant and with a bit of money, like here, you can continue on.

We should work with Mexico on this problem.  Not fight them.  Sadly, many of these poor people are trying to escape violence.  True refugees.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/immigration-border-crisis/illegal-immigration-changing-border-security-still-catching-n667916

Instead, what authorities later found was that the vast majority of the detained families passed the first of many tests on their asylum applications — more than 86 percent of immigrants held in family detention showed a "credible fear" of returning to their home countries, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. It meant they could remain in the United States to follow their applications to the end.

And according to Brané, the new border statistics only confirm that Central Americans will continue to find a way to the United States, no matter what stands before then.

"If you're in a burning house, you're going to find a way out no matter how many obstacles are put in your way," Brané said.

13 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

A lot of money is sent to Mexico from the USA, much by illegals. A lot of families in Mexico have food on their table courtesy of the bad evil Americans.

The money sent home to Mexico and other countries is usually from back breaking work that Americans won't perform. If we had a more liberal policy in regards to allowing legal foreign labor into the country, there would be a lot less undocumented aliens in the US. Bipartisan plan was in the works but the Republicans backed out when Obama took office in 2009.

17 hours ago, huanga said:

Mexico does not have a continuous wall on its southern border but there are walls in certain areas. Much of the immigration into the US these days is actually from Central America. The Central American immigrants cross illegally into Mexico and make their way to the US / Mexico border. They are not only those fleeing economic hardship but for safety for their families due to drug wars etc.