foreigners who save on aircon bills

cheapskatesam

1 minute ago, cheapskatesam said:

Nice idea! Any tips on recipes that went down well?

cooking spaghetti sauce for a few hours always worked. I put a few chunks of pork in the sauce and let cook for 3-4 hours on low. The smell from the pork and sauce is so good. when done the pork fall apart.  Girls show up you tell them oh not done yet another 30 minutes and offer a drink while we wait.  

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, ericthai said:

cooking spaghetti sauce for a few hours always worked. I put a few chunks of pork in the sauce and let cook for 3-4 hours on low. The smell from the pork and sauce is so good. when done the pork fall apart.  Girls show up you tell them oh not done yet another 30 minutes and offer a drink while we wait.  

I'm not much of a cook.. but i suppose i could get those jars of Dolmio sauce and use them instead.. i would of course hide the jaw and scatter vegetables and herbs around the place to make it look like i made it from scratch

5 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

This place makes me laugh..

Topics involving saving money get people very hot under the collar.. lots of abuse and snide remarks from lots of extravagant sukhumvit farangs that do not save money at all... 

What is also interesting is that these types of threads always get the highest view counts. No doubt this thread will get 6 or 7 pages of replies from people not interested in saving money (of course!) and thousands of views.

I save my old scrap paper to keep the door ajar.

Wouldn't want someone stealing my shoes. 

20170220_091456.jpg

Actually I some times leave the door wedged open for exactly the opposite reason. I only get

good cross ventilation when I open the sliding outside door and my front condo door. I will

do this when I arrive to flush the condos hot air out and then start the air conditioner. :thumbsup:.

4 hours ago, Hedghog said:

I save my old scrap paper to keep the door ajar.

Wouldn't want someone stealing my shoes. 

20170220_091456.jpg

Gee, It was your door I walked past and seeing what I thought were old worthless Aussie pound notes I kept on walking. I didn't peep in either. 

(Just adding another comment so we get to 7 pages :-)

230217_084728.jpg

Maybe the OP shouldn't poke his nose into other people's business. 

Maybe the people just want to air the apartmwnt. 

I don't run the air con in my condo in BKK and I don't have air con here in the house in Korat, not because I'm trying to save, but because I moved to the TROPICS for exactly this reason - the heat! I love it! 

Yer I agree the Cheapskate is merely advising us that he goes to girls apartments hoping that we will be envious without mentioning his own air con arrangements which may not be as flash. I used to notice things in girls apartments, like when I climbed out the window in Patong once only to realise that I had a 60 foot drop to negotiate. Luckily a spent drunk can still manouvre.

I have both AC and fun in the room. I leave the AC on for couple of hours and when it is cool enough I switch it off and the room is nice and cool with fun for few hours. I do not like too much of Air Con and it is just enough to have it few hours a day and all the night.

On 22/02/2017 at 2:49 PM, Thakkar said:

Oh, it's a money-saving scheme on many levels. Not only do I save on air con, but all the neighbors' rats can enter and get trapped in *my* rat traps. I grill them up and serve on a bed of lettuce I grow on my balcony garden fertilized by my own doodoo that I save water on by not flushing away.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel, "How to become a billionaire by living like Howard Hughes"

T

Tried rat about a month ago. Awful but I tried it.

On 2/22/2017 at 10:58 AM, Rob13 said:

I do it sometimes, to get some air flow. has nothing to do with saving money, I don't like AC  that much.

buy a 8 inch fan  with a clip on it , clip on your left ear ..........

On 22/02/2017 at 8:46 PM, Suradit69 said:

Why would someone not want to enjoy the breeze. Why would someone want to miss that by closing everything up and running expensive air conditioning?

I cant speak for anyone else but I dont like the humidity or the particulates in the air here. The thin layer of black dust that accumulates on my balcony most days does not encourage me to open my windows, though I do some mornings in what passes for winter here. I dont like the outside noise either.

Running my aircon all the time must cost me around 1200B a month and keeps me fresh and cool and dry. So I consider it a bargain. If it cost a lot more I would still pay it, or leave the country.

• 1 month later...
I use the shoe and chain method for cross ventilation. No air con in hall. 6" crack enough, still have privacy. I may run a little air con at night (29 setting), but day time cross ventilation with fan boost is fine. I don't do this because I am cheap. I do it because I don't want to be a prisoner of air conditioning, scurrying from one freezer box to the next.

LOL> 29 is not a freezer box.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

just buy a good air con, we recently replaced our old one in our bedroom with a Daikin, our bills have halved even though we added 2 more air cons in the house, makes a huge difference 

Maybe just airing out his small condo from cooking and other smells. I saw this in my condo few times but usually you can also smell something they trying to get rid off :)

They put a stop to that thank God In our condo. The few thais that could afford to live there loved frying fish.. Stunk out the whole floor

i do this on occasion, but not much since i dont like people walking by and looking in the room.

the only way to get a breeze is to have outlets on both sides, one in one out. its much nicer having a natural air flow through a room then to sit closed in with air con, even on a hot day. its called fresh air. i actually prefer it to a cold air conned room.

most condos in thailand only have windows one one side. they dont get this simple air flow principal when building here when constructing most of these cheap buildings.

for those addicted to air con, do you just hang out inside or at malls all the time? i know some people can be happy living indoors but i would question if the cojntry is the right location for them.

i need to be outside most of the time and be comfortable with it, or with a fan. i hate being inside to long!

Edited by JimCrane

4 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Personally, I spend plenty of time outdoors, but, during hot season, usually prefer air conditioning when eating in restaurants and definitely for sleeping. The best of both worlds.

I find the solution is quite simple. If it's too hot, I put the air conditioner on. I'm not going to sweat if I don't need to. I can live without air conditioning and have endured the tropical heat for months at a time without it. It's a matter of comfort, not a necessity. My electric bill increases by 1000 - 2000 in the hottest months, compared to the cooler months. That's 30  - 60 baht a day to live in comfort. I'll find other ways to save money.

6 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Personally, I spend plenty of time outdoors, but, during hot season, usually prefer air conditioning when eating in restaurants and definitely for sleeping. The best of both worlds.

you spend plenty of time outdoors en route to an air con restaurant or back to your air con room. 

Edited by JimCrane

On 22 February, 2017 at 3:18 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Who has told them MY! trick :cheesy:

I do this regularly when in "my" court hotel in Pattaya.

Combined with upper floor, door to the corridor, balcony to the other side it often gives a nice breeze.

And that is not saving AC cost (incl. in the room rate).

I often get sick from AC.

But the AC less times will soon come to and end.

36 C outside.

You and me both on the AC sickness thing. I can't sleep without the cold, but last week in Kanchanburi oh  my how I had such a raw throat.  Dryness combined with high ambient particulate  including dust and pollen and it was  nasty. Hotel had sealed corridors that baked and it was so dry and hot.

Let's just skip what the person inside the unit prefers. It's obvious they don't mind people being able to see into their dwelling (which myself I find quite insane, call me crazy). But, people don't want to see into your apartments or condos as they walk by. Why would they? It sounds like more of a kao SAN road thing to me, if you want to err on the side of common dwelling areas there's a ton of cheap rooms there for you. You can get rooms separated by only beads or a dirty sheet, whatever you'd prefer. In condos keep your door closed, there's people who don't want to be constantly exposed to the visuals, audio and smells of your unit. 

Edited by utalkin2me

3 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Let's just skip what the person inside the unit prefers. It's obvious they don't mind people being able to see into their dwelling (which myself I find quite insane, call me crazy). But, people don't want to see into your apartments or condos as they walk by. Why would they? It sounds like more of a kao SAN road thing to me, if you want to err on the side of common dwelling areas there's a ton of cheap rooms there for you. You can get rooms separated by only beads or a dirty sheet, whatever you'd prefer. In condos keep your door closed, there's people who don't want to be constantly exposed to the visuals, audio and smells of your unit. 

usually boxers sans shirt as well in the heat spread eagle on the bed

I'm not trying to be all high class and pretentious but if people did this in my place of residence quite honestly I'd just figure I need to pay a bit more and live among people with a little better manners. It's super low class, you just don't leave your door open out to the common area with people walking by.