Thailand scraps plans to track foreign tourists with SIM cards

webfact

Thailand scraps plans to track foreign tourists with SIM cards

BY STAFF WRITER 

prepaid-sim-cards-700x336.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commision has scrapped a controversial plan that would require foreign tourists to use a special SIM card that would enable the authorities to easily monitor their whereabouts.

The plans, which were first announced last August, would have required all mobile operators to add location tracking software to SIM cards, which would enable the authorities to access all user call data, private messages and location information.

Mobile operators would then be forced to sell the special SIM cards to any foreigner who wanted to access local mobile services.

The authorities originally touted the move as being in the interest of national security and said a person would only be tracked should he or she overstay their visa or become a criminal suspect.

Full story: http://tech.thaivisa.com/thailand-scraps-plans-to-track-foreign-tourists-with-sim-cards/19977/

tt.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Tech 2017-02-22

" There were also concerns from the Tourism and Sports Ministry that the scheme could severely damage the tourism industry. "

Common sense finally prevailing. It was a pointless exercise anyway. Any person intending to do something dodgy would simply get a Thai to buy a SIM for them, so easily circumvented.

Very little gain for much expense and inconvenience.

I was a little surprised such a dumb idea got off the ground in the first place.

34 minutes ago, paulinbkk111 said:

wow maybe common sense prevailed. Or the Telcos told them to shove it. Me thinks the latter.

Neither. It was probably just too expensive and impractical to do such an absurdity...

37 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

" There were also concerns from the Tourism and Sports Ministry that the scheme could severely damage the tourism industry. "

Common sense finally prevailing. It was a pointless exercise anyway. Any person intending to do something dodgy would simply get a Thai to buy a SIM for them, so easily circumvented.

Very little gain for much expense and inconvenience.

I was a little surprised such a dumb idea got off the ground in the first place.

I wasn't surprised at all...

I have a suspicion that they just found a way of  doing it without having to issue new SIM cards

like an over the air update ( except silently and no chance to decline )

so probably everyones SIM now has "the tracker applet" installed

it could easily record the signal strength and locations of  the latest cell towers nearby

or be "pinged' on demand for latest info.

coupled together with the mandatory SIM card registration which they finally enforced I think they have everything they need.

https://www.defcon.org/images/defcon-21/dc-21-presentations/Koscher-Butler/DEFCON-21-Koscher-Butler-The-Secret-Life-of-SIM-Cards-Updated.pdf

1 hour ago, paulinbkk111 said:

wow maybe common sense prevailed. Or the Telcos told them to shove it. Me thinks the latter.

common sense as you describe it is not dreaming up these stupid non-workable ideas in the first place - whoever thought this one up is not fit to be employed - I'd be investigating their credentials and education level

7 minutes ago, smedly said:

common sense as you describe it is not dreaming up these stupid non-workable ideas in the first place - whoever thought this one up is not fit to be employed - I'd be investigating their credentials and education level

That would be Mr. Sum Ah Sol.

What education?

29 minutes ago, johng said:

I have a suspicion that they just found a way of  doing it without having to issue new SIM cards

like an over the air update ( except silently and no chance to decline )

so probably everyones SIM now has "the tracker applet" installed

it could easily record the signal strength and locations of  the latest cell towers nearby

or be "pinged' on demand for latest info.

coupled together with the mandatory SIM card registration which they finally enforced I think they have everything they need.

https://www.defcon.org/images/defcon-21/dc-21-presentations/Koscher-Butler/DEFCON-21-Koscher-Butler-The-Secret-Life-of-SIM-Cards-Updated.pdf

I don't think they ever had a special SIM. The SIM was the same as any other but they would be registered specifically as being bought by a foreigner. They already make you register a SIM but here they would have put the foreign SIM registrations into a short list making it easier to manage them. They can already track cell phones by triangulating them and that is nothing new. 

Maybe somebody can correct me if I am wrong but I think they were normal SIM and this "tracking" capability was vaporware. 

18 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

I don't think they ever had a special SIM. The SIM was the same as any other but they would be registered specifically as being bought by a foreigner. They already make you register a SIM but here they would have put the foreign SIM registrations into a short list making it easier to manage them. They can already track cell phones by triangulating them and that is nothing new. 

Maybe somebody can correct me if I am wrong but I think they were normal SIM and this "tracking" capability was vaporware. 

I'm sure what they were looking into was running a massive database built on existing triangulation technology that records and stores location coordinates and meta data over time.

Once they got a quotation from contractors they understood what mega endeavour such a project would be: in terms of financial, logistical, legal, and reputation challenges...

Edited by Morakot

Just now, Morakot said:

I'm sure what they were looking into was a massive database built on existing triangulation technology that records and stores location coordinates and meta data over time.

Once they got a quotation from contractors they understood what mega endeavour such a project would be: in terms of financial, logical, legal, and reputation challenges...

Yeah I pretty much figured that. There were never any special SIM with unique tracking abilities. If they had those and it was easy they would have done it in a heartbeat. They found out it would actually take a bit of discipline and basic organizational skills to pull this off. 

Edited by anotheruser

6 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

special SIM

Special only in the sense of that this SIM would be recorded...

which aggravates any existing financial, logistical, legal, and reputation challenges.

Edited by Morakot