Is my friend entitled to a British Passport and a UK State pension?

Mobi

The OP's friend would probably find what Centrelink giveth, it also taketh away. His Australian pension would be reduced in proportion to the "foreign" pension he gets.

There is no reason I can think of that the friend cannot have double passports. In fact, a former Australian Prime Minister (Tony Abbott ) has dual British and Australian nationality. There are some people who fervently wish he would resume his birth nationality and place of residence.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 01/03/2017 at 9:23 PM, shunter said:

I fear that if he has no record(s) on contribution for N.I (National Insurance) contributions he will not be eligible for a U K state pension. 

The DWP will have any records.

3 hours ago, Bannoi said:

I renounced my British citizenship and still claim my state pension though I did have 48 full years tax & NI contributions,

I don't believe citizenship has anything to do with the pension it is purely down to how many years NI contributions you have paid.

Citizenship however is another matter if he is a British citizen he would be entitled to live in the UK though why he would want to is beyond me especially with the evil witch they have in charge now and all the problems Brexit is going to bring.

Would you care to expand on the problems Brexit will bring. To my knowledge no one knows what problems will arrise, as Article 50 has not been invoked as yet. Therefore no negotiations have started.

3 hours ago, Mobi said:

Thank you for all your replies.

It is now clear that he will be able to obtain a British passport and he will apply for this in Australia.

As far as the UK pension is concerned, he will contact the Pensions Office and find out what – if anything – he is entitled to. The conflicting advice on this thread is confusing, and the only way to know for sure is to ask, so may I respectfully suggest that further speculation on this subject is pointless.

I have to say I have been quite taken aback by the automatic assumption that my friend is in a state of penury. Nothing is further from the truth, and despite his advanced age, he is also in excellent health and still very active.

He simply wants to spend the remaining years in England with his sister, and understand perfectly well about the changes in the country since he lived there.

I am also surprised by the negative opinions expressed about living in the UK. I have traveled to the UK  nearly every year since I first left in 2000, and later this year I will be relocating back there myself to spend my remaining years near my family. I know exactly what is before me and it holds absolutely no horrors or qualms for me.

You only ever hear about the bad aspects and never the good. In spite of everything, the UK still has much to commend it. So 10% of patients had to wait over 4 hours to be attended to at A&E. But 90% did receive attention. A couple years ago I had occasion to visit A & E in Nuneaton and I was attended to in 5 minutes and I have nothing but praise for the dedicated care and follow up.

I would much rather spend my dotage in a country where I can be guaranteed medical attention and a roof over my head, free bus travel throughout the country - and much more besides - rather than suffer the vagaries of the Thai medical scene where no doctor or hospital can be really trusted and any major operation could leave me bankrupt.

And who knows when they may decide to change the visa rules again and send you all packing back to your home countries? You are only ever sure of being legally entitled to remain here for no more than a year at a time, and that is a heck of thing to be hanging over your head as you reach your 70s or 80s...

Just my take… and I know that most of you will think otherwise… or you wouldn’t be here…

Nuff said…

A friend of mine applied for the pension while in Thailand all online.Hadn't been there for over 20 years and he is barely literate on a computer.Your friend could have everything organized before he even sets foot in Ordinary Britian.Would have to use Aust bank book to start but can change when he gets there.

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

I think if they were to perform this operation, the surgeons would also have to restore the whinging cells before he could become a Brit again.

No, they couldn't remove that,they found it was too deeply inbedded as evidenced by expat Poms all over the world.If they removed that gene the ability to speak and think at all would be gone.

3 hours ago, Mobi said:

Thank you for all your replies.

It is now clear that he will be able to obtain a British passport and he will apply for this in Australia.

As far as the UK pension is concerned, he will contact the Pensions Office and find out what – if anything – he is entitled to. The conflicting advice on this thread is confusing, and the only way to know for sure is to ask, so may I respectfully suggest that further speculation on this subject is pointless.

I have to say I have been quite taken aback by the automatic assumption that my friend is in a state of penury. Nothing is further from the truth, and despite his advanced age, he is also in excellent health and still very active.

He simply wants to spend the remaining years in England with his sister, and understand perfectly well about the changes in the country since he lived there.

I am also surprised by the negative opinions expressed about living in the UK. I have traveled to the UK  nearly every year since I first left in 2000, and later this year I will be relocating back there myself to spend my remaining years near my family. I know exactly what is before me and it holds absolutely no horrors or qualms for me.

You only ever hear about the bad aspects and never the good. In spite of everything, the UK still has much to commend it. So 10% of patients had to wait over 4 hours to be attended to at A&E. But 90% did receive attention. A couple years ago I had occasion to visit A & E in Nuneaton and I was attended to in 5 minutes and I have nothing but praise for the dedicated care and follow up.

I would much rather spend my dotage in a country where I can be guaranteed medical attention and a roof over my head, free bus travel throughout the country - and much more besides - rather than suffer the vagaries of the Thai medical scene where no doctor or hospital can be really trusted and any major operation could leave me bankrupt.

And who knows when they may decide to change the visa rules again and send you all packing back to your home countries? You are only ever sure of being legally entitled to remain here for no more than a year at a time, and that is a heck of thing to be hanging over your head as you reach your 70s or9 80s...

Just my take… and I know that most of you will think otherwise… or you wouldn’t be here…

Nuff said…

Well said !

I dont understand why some expats constantly bash Britain , its not as if Thailand is paradise. I enjoy staying in both countries , each has its plus points , some of the bitterness displayed astounds me sometimes. I guess some people see rampant criticism as a means of self justification , strange really.

On 3/1/2017 at 9:32 PM, robertthebruce said:

for sure you need to have 35 Years Contributions to get any kind of Pension...

Wrong. 35 years of contributions will get you the full pension. Less contributions than that will get you a part pension. I am about to claim mine having 16 years of NIC and will get 16/35 of the NEW pension. There is a minimum years of contributions to get any pension. I think it is 10. Don't take my word on that, go check.

This man is a lot older and the pension for him , if applicable, is based on only 30 years of NIC but the OLD pension is a lot lower than the NEW pension. Simply put there is OLD and NEW pensions depending on date of birth and gender. OLD & NEW pensions are quite different.

The UK pensions website is very detailed and should be the first port of call.

5 hours ago, Bannoi said:

It was factual I am no longer a British citizen but still entitled to the pension so if he had renounced his citizenship it would make no difference - FACT

Entitlement to the State Pension is dependent on how many full years NI contributions have been paid - FACT

If he is still a British Citizen he is entitled to live in the UK - FACT

Perhaps I touched a nerve and you cream your pants every time you see TM but to me she is an evil witch.

Brexit is going to bring a lot of problems - FACT

not problems, but solutions that will be good for the UK in the long run. 

On 26 February 2017 at 0:28 PM, Mobi said:

Thanks for that.

He has no recollection of renouncing British citizenship, so as you say the best way to check is to apply for a British Passport in Australia.

He can also contact the Pensions office and check whether he can get anything.

Another source told me that the pensions office will only backdate a pension one-year from the date of application, but even a year's pension is worth having.

A friend of mine is 77 and has lived in Australia for around 50 years and is an Australian citizen with an Aussie passport and he gets an Aussie state pension.

He was born and raised in England and worked there for about 10 years before emigrating to Australia.

He is now seriously considering spending his remaining years back in England.

Fed up with freeloaders coming to uk after paying sod all in 

we've got way more than our share already thanks 

but no thanks 

I left the UK in 1974 and worked under 10 years but it appeared that the contributions I made entitled me to a small State Pension which surprised me 

I applied online from Thailand and found the Pensions Dept very helpful I had no NHS number but was able to supply the two addresses where I lived and the two places where I worked which together with my date of birth was enough

I also hold Australian citizenship but cannot get the Australian Pension as I fail the  assets test ( too rich it seems)

Your friend needs to have a look at the criteria for the assets test as depending on what other financial means he has the amount he receives from the U.K. Pension could reduce the Australian pension

Of more importance he needs to check his entitlement to medical treatment under the NHS as I seem to recall when I looked recently that having a British passport does not automatically entitle you to unlimited free treatment if you have not lived there for x number of years the U.K. Government seems to have tightened up in recent years

It seems that asylum seekers have more rights than Some British citizens

Visiting on an Australian passport gives you free emergency treatment( whatever that means) as there is a reciprocal agreement with Australia

Maybe get in touch with some of the charities/advise centres, send them a email, guess they would give the best advise

http://heathrowtravelcare.co.uk/what-we-do/returning-to-the-uk-from-abroad/

https://www.independentage.org/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Maybe more but have these in my Bookmarks, one just never knows.. my plan is to stay here and die here, been retired here 14 years this month, with no plan or wish to move or return to UK

15 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Of more importance he needs to check his entitlement to medical treatment under the NHS as I seem to recall when I looked recently that having a British passport does not automatically entitle you to unlimited free treatment if you have not lived there for x number of years the U.K. Government seems to have tightened up in recent years

To be entitled to full NHS treatment, one must be Ordinarily Resident in the UK. Which basically means entitled to live in the UK without time restriction.

Obviously, British citizens do not have any time restriction on their stay in the UK; but will not be classed as Ordinarily Resident if they live abroad and are visiting the UK temporarily. So they will not be entitled to NHS treatment except for initial treatment in A&E and a few other exceptions; the same as visitors of other nationalities.

A British citizen who has been living abroad and is now returning to the UK to take up residence, and can show this, is classed as Ordinarily Resident and so entitled to NHS treatment from day one.

See Guidance on overseas visitors hospital charging regulations

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, Jip99 said:

Another one who has forgotten that UK pensions are an 'entitlement'  (where contributions have been made).

Fortunately, British citizenship means that you never burn your bridges and your Brexit reference is redundant.

Returning British expats should not be the target of your criticism. Everyone knows exactly where misuse of the NHS lies.

I fully agree with the PS..............

Well said!

The "drain" on the benefits and NHS is not from expats returning and needing some help, it is from the "Sewer" just across the Med. where scum with no links, no entitlement come from to expect a free handout.

6 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Well said!

The "drain" on the benefits and NHS is not from expats returning and needing some help, it is from the "Sewer" just across the Med. where scum with no links, no entitlement come from to expect a free handout.

What 'scum' would that be, then?

You can't mean the refugees/migrants crossing the Med to Europe from North Africa as very few, if any, of these make it into the UK.

Even those who do make it to the UK do not get a cushy life living off the state: Asylum Support; What you'll get.

He can get a uk passport and he can get a part british pension but the bulk of his pension will still come from Aust pro rated on time spent in each country.

Oz pension will be reduced by the the any amount he may be entitled to receive from the UK

Edited by ozzydom
spelling
11 hours ago, Griff4114 said:

Does he remember his national insurance number that will help him a lot.

You funny .

I am a ex sex tourist,, 20 years active service ,  soon to be  returning home to nanny state.

cause , i cant find my ?? ..     every dog has his day .555

OP ,   keep us informed  about your  friend , good luck 

Edited by elliss

I am not sure how does it work in UK but working 10 years in UK, I feel he won't get much pension. May be minimal. The question is what will happen to his pension from Australia if he leave his Ausi nationality. I know some countries have treaty with other countries and if you work in one of those countries and move to the other country then your work time will be counted in other country as well. Talk to your Embassy or a lawyer to get the right answer.

On 3/2/2017 at 1:37 PM, Mobi said:

Thank you for the information, and no thanks to those offering opinions on whether or not he should be returning after 50 years away.

I was only asking for factual information - not opinions or advice on whether or not he should be burdening himself on the Uk State.

But since you have raised these issues, my friend was born and bred in the UK, paid tax and  NHI contributions for 10 years before emigrating. So for the past 50 years has not made a single claim on the Uk welfare system or used the free health system. And yes, he still has family in the UK.

IMHO  he is more entitled to get what he is legally due from the Uk government than many thousands who have never paid a penny to the state in tax and are living at the state's expense.

But there again... that's just my opinion....

Quite simply he should apply! No need then to worry about "opinions and advice".

On 26/02/2017 at 4:28 PM, Mobi said:

Thanks for that.

He has no recollection of renouncing British citizenship, so as you say the best way to check is to apply for a British Passport in Australia.

He can also contact the Pensions office and check whether he can get anything.

Another source told me that the pensions office will only backdate a pension one-year from the date of application, but even a year's pension is worth having.

A year's pension based on only 10 years NI contributions would be petty minimal

12 hours ago, 7by7 said:

You can't mean the refugees/migrants crossing the Med to Europe from North Africa as very few, if any, of these make it into the UK.

Even those who do make it to the UK do not get a cushy life living off the state: Asylum Support; What you'll get.

no mention of 'scum' in the previous few posts

Edited by steve187
On 3/2/2017 at 10:37 AM, Mobi said:

Thank you for the information, and no thanks to those offering opinions on whether or not he should be returning after 50 years away.

I was only asking for factual information - not opinions or advice on whether or not he should be burdening himself on the Uk State.

But since you have raised these issues, my friend was born and bred in the UK, paid tax and  NHI contributions for 10 years before emigrating. So for the past 50 years has not made a single claim on the Uk welfare system or used the free health system. And yes, he still has family in the UK.

IMHO  he is more entitled to get what he is legally due from the Uk government than many thousands who have never paid a penny to the state in tax and are living at the state's expense.

But there again... that's just my opinion....

So your friend pissed off for a better life..now wants to milk the system he has paid <deleted> A into for 50 yrs..we have 2 many doing this..tell him to stay where he is...he is just a liability on our system

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:28 AM, steve187 said:
On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:16 PM, 7by7 said:

no mention of 'scum' in the previous few posts

Did you read the post I quoted and was responding to? The one immediately above mine?

It seems not!

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:00 PM, Formaleins said:

Well said!

(7by7 emphasis)

22 hours ago, superdome said:

So your friend pissed off for a better life..now wants to milk the system he has paid <deleted> A into for 50 yrs..we have 2 many doing this..tell him to stay where he is...he is just a liability on our system

Err , Economic migrants / Health tourists ,  more politically correct . 555

Love  you Nanny .

On 3/3/2017 at 10:52 AM, Mobi said:

Quite right, pension entitlement is personal and only the pension office can say what it would be.

To claim you need a minimum of 10 years contributions from the 35 required for full pension, its pro rata so if for example you had 12 years contributions you would get about a third of a full pension.

How long you worked for is not definitive, credits are a bit of an unknown and this is why you must ask. I have 48 years and one incomplete year of NI contributions which means they were taken from the April following my 16th birthday. I did nearly 14 years in the RAF and received credits for that period of service. I also received credits from the age of 60 to 65 after I had retired.