Tourists blamed for pirate goods problems as ministry heeds PM's call

webfact

Tourists blamed for pirate goods problems as ministry heeds PM's call

5pm.jpg

Picture: Thai News Agency

BANGKOK: -- Tourists have been singled out as a major cause for problems with pirated goods.

Now the Ministry of Tourism and Sports has called in tour operators to get tough and stop tourists from visiting shops selling fake goods.

The move comes after PM Prayut Chan-ocha has ordered authorities in the country to stop the trade. In turn the general himself has been under pressure from foreign manufacturers to do something.

Now much of the blame is being laid at the tourists' door. Thai News Agency reported that 90% of all pirated goods on sale are being offered in tourist areas such as Patpong in Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket.

Items such as watches, bags and fake brand name clothing are everywhere and when tourists buy them and take them home the image of Thailand as a hub for such items only gets worse, said TNA.

So now a campaign has been launched entitled "Tourism and the War on Piracy".

The Tourism and Sports Ministry have met with tour groups' representatives to request that tourists are not taken to places where pirated goods are on sale.

And the tour group operators are further being asked to tell tourists not to buy fake goods and why they shouldn't.

Yesterday a large group of operators, embassy officials, guides, revenue department officials and tourist police met in Bangkok to launch the campaign.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-22

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh! This is too funny.

So the tourists are to blame for all the knock off goods? Thai people don't buy them, is that what he is trying to say?

I can really see your average taxi driver saying to his customer ,"Ooo! Don't go in there mister. Let me take you somewhere where you can pay ten times more!"

Especially given that all the "labels" are often made in Asia, so the knock off price is actually the fair one.

Edited by darksidedog

Just now, darksidedog said:

Oh! This is too funny.

So the tourists are to blame for all the knock off goods? Thai people don't buy them, is that what he is trying to say?

I can really see your average taxi driver saying to his customer ,"Ooo! Don't go in there mister. Let me take you somewhere where you can pay ten times more!"

The taxis already do this but they do it in places that sell pirated goods. 

Who come's to Thailand as part of a tour group? And why everyweek has the Tourism minister a new idea that she has to share with the nation?
A friend back in England kept telling us his great ideas and plans every week down the pub. We later found out he was smoking waki baki.
Is this the case here as well. Is the tourism minister on the 'green tea'?

There will always be a demand. If you stop the supply, the demand can't happen. The supply is always smaller and easier to stop. 

A little bit of advice to a country who relies so heavily on tourism and trade; try not to blame your customers. It's not good for business. 

36 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

The mentality of these people bewilders me.......people in these positions can't be this stupid........can they?

It seems to be a prerequisite for employment in senior positions.

Edited by Chicog

Just now, anotheruser said:

They are all genuine items purchased at Paragon.

Ah my mistake, seems everyone  on the BTS has them, guess theyve all been shopping there then and their chauffeurs must have been   ill that day hence the need to get on the BTS or Baht Bus

43 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

The mentality of these people bewilders me.......people in these positions can't be this stupid........can they?

Just look at all of the fools in the photo. Whatever the Fuhrer says it must be correct. Just like the Thai language replacing English as the global language. And "a Thai person could never do this............", The problem is with the foreigner women wearing bikini's here, etc, etc.

48 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Oh! This is too funny.

Especially given that all the "labels" are often made in Asia, so the knock off price is actually the fair one.

Good read, I like it!