ezzra

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, kamahele said:

For the naysayers, you should read the CNN article as to why they have chosen Isaan. It makes sense for those people who don't want the same old same old tourist experience. As I make my home there part time, I kind of hope not many people read the article and spoil my special place...

The Thai Tourism Authority has visitors numbers going up and pictures and comments about delays at airport Immigration would seem to support this. Now there's not a lot of these tourists visiting Pattaya and I am pretty sure that Bangkok, Phuket, Krabi, Samui (and that other place up north that's mostly up itself all the time) are similarly bereft of wide-eyed, first-timers soaking up the culture and sub-culture.

So I reckon the tourists must be already be in Isaan but the place is so big, you can't spot them so easily but if you need a clue, just follow the buses.

21 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Most men on TV sleep with women from Isaan so be careful what you write here she may take revenge. The western side of Loei province is in actual fact very beautiful with high mountains and cooler weather. 

I enjoyed a visit to Loie late last year.. I was impressed.. beautiful scenery and the place was much cleaner and tidier that many places that I have visited.. it looks a lot more prosperous than I expected..  They grow an amazing variety of crops on well tended farms.. accommodation and food weren't expensive.. Chiang Khan by the river was enjoyable...although it seems to be ramping up with lots of new construction..  Definitely a good destination for someone wanting to get off the beaten track.. 

Fish Monger is correct, partially. The recent series they ran...Made in Thailand...was obviously paid advertising...However, he is wrong in that it is not fake news.

It's not news...if it was news the Thai Gubbmit would have blocked it. It is paid advertising and as such, is not news. Any news story regarding Thailand that CNN has aired in the last month or two has been blocked.

CNN Is also running a commercial that extols the benefits of doing business in Thailand, paid for by some ministry that I can't remember. That is also NOT blocked. They funny part about that commercial is that a farang guys says..."Maybe that's why everyone wants to move to Thailand." When I hear that I usually spit my coffee across the room.

On 22/02/2017 at 4:26 PM, Godang said:

I believe Buriram comes in the Isaan area.

Never knew that. I was refering to the fact that Buriram is often looked down as a lesser place within the region not only by Thais but by some westerners as well when infact the city is actually booming at the moment. 

On 2/22/2017 at 5:39 PM, Stray said:

Note to international tourists:  Nothing to see up here and, in any case, Isaan is closed to tourists until further notice.

You forgot the part where, since it's closed, they offer to take you to a great gem shop instead, where you can get the family and friends' discount.

Never knew that. I was refering to the fact that Buriram is often looked down as a lesser place within the region not only by Thais but by some westerners as well when infact the city is actually booming at the moment. 

A lot of building and a lot if investment in new roads throughout Issan

Sent from my Grand using Tapatalk

Unless they live in Buriram, then it's Cambodia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Unless they live in Buriram, then it's Cambodia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprising number of Cambodians working down here. Wife's brother in law employed one during our house extension. He was married to a Thai. Good worker as well.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:29 PM, impulse said:

You forgot the part where, since it's closed, they offer to take you to a great gem shop instead, where you can get the family and friends' discount.

Yes, impulse, good point.

Just as long as those gem shops are no further north than Bangkok's inner suburbia, well within the mustard yellow cloud of smog and well within a Tuktuk's half tank of gas.

Should point out that, not only is Isaan closed but so are all the gas/petrol/diesel filling stations.  All international tourists have been warned to stay away . . . please . . .

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:33 PM, Laza 45 said:

I enjoyed a visit to Loie late last year.. I was impressed.. beautiful scenery and the place was much cleaner and tidier that many places that I have visited.. it looks a lot more prosperous than I expected..  They grow an amazing variety of crops on well tended farms.. accommodation and food weren't expensive.. Chiang Khan by the river was enjoyable...although it seems to be ramping up with lots of new construction..  Definitely a good destination for someone wanting to get off the beaten track.. 

No, no, no Laza 45, you are clearly mistaken.  There's nothing to see or do ANYWHERE in Isaan!  It's terribly, terribly overcrowded, smells and is very, very boring.  The 'naysayers' are correct in every negative comment they have . . . X 1000!

If you've ever seen the movie 'Soylent Green' (Charlton Heston), it was filmed in Isaan.  They didn't even need any props.  That was what it was like back in the '70's.  It's only gotten worse!

If only I'd stayed in Bangkok.  Now, it's too late to leave.  I'm trapped!!!  Trapped, I tell you!!!

14 hours ago, Stray said:

No, no, no Laza 45, you are clearly mistaken.  There's nothing to see or do ANYWHERE in Isaan!  It's terribly, terribly overcrowded, smells and is very, very boring.  The 'naysayers' are correct in every negative comment they have . . . X 1000!

If you've ever seen the movie 'Soylent Green' (Charlton Heston), it was filmed in Isaan.  They didn't even need any props.  That was what it was like back in the '70's.  It's only gotten worse!

If only I'd stayed in Bangkok.  Now, it's too late to leave.  I'm trapped!!!  Trapped, I tell you!!!

Haha!.. I'm trapped too!  ..and nobody would be able to find Kalasin.. I guess I'll just have to stay.. 

29 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

I can Smell the Cows so it's Kalasin.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

..the neighbors keep 4 in the paddock across the road from me.. times are changing though.. there used to be a herd of water buffalo too... I miss them.. that is progress for you...

10439495003_8b15894101_o.jpg

Edited by Laza 45

Wife's aunts property is just to the rear of our bedroom and she keeps about half a dozen cows there. No smell but sometimes a bit of smoke from the anti-mozzie smudge fire. Rural life in Issan. Got to be better than choking on car fumes all day.

My wife has 60 or 70 range chickens. They were all raised from just a few hens. The neighbor's rooster would fly across the wall to service her hens. Of course there were a lot of young roosters. One of them was at the top of the pecking order and would beat the hell out of the other roosters. The only way to have some peace was to give away the other roosters. The one remaining is the king.

Our neighbor has a fighting rooster that I think he loves more than his wife. That rooster made the mistake of coming into our rooster's territory. We have two and a half rai surrounded by a two meter high wall. I really didn't see the fight but I saw the neighbor come rushing in and he chased our rooster away. He carried his beaten rooster back home trailing blood all the way. My wife was telling me about the rooster fight and she thought it was very funny. It appears that our rooster is still the king. There was a blood trail from our yard and across the road to the neighbors.

We had one other rooster that could almost hold his own with the king, but he would finally run away with the king in hot pursuit. One of my wife's nephews bought that losing rooster from my wife. Her nephew said that it was a very good fighting rooster. And you city fellows think that we have no excitement up here.

7 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Haha!.. I'm trapped too!  ..and nobody would be able to find Kalasin.. I guess I'll just have to stay.. 

If this was a private conversation I would say that you are in a wonderful part of the world.  However, some potential tourists may be reading so I will say that Kalasin is the pit of the pits!

Development of AH16 (Asia Highway) has put you guys in the cross-hairs for some serious 'soi dog' relocation to Vietnam.

2 hours ago, Gary A said:

My wife has 60 or 70 range chickens. They were all raised from just a few hens. The neighbor's rooster would fly across the wall to service her hens. Of course there were a lot of young roosters. One of them was at the top of the pecking order and would beat the hell out of the other roosters. The only way to have some peace was to give away the other roosters. The one remaining is the king.

Our neighbor has a fighting rooster that I think he loves more than his wife. That rooster made the mistake of coming into our rooster's territory. We have two and a half rai surrounded by a two meter high wall. I really didn't see the fight but I saw the neighbor come rushing in and he chased our rooster away. He carried his beaten rooster back home trailing blood all the way. My wife was telling me about the rooster fight and she thought it was very funny. It appears that our rooster is still the king. There was a blood trail from our yard and across the road to the neighbors.

We had one other rooster that could almost hold his own with the king, but he would finally run away with the king in hot pursuit. One of my wife's nephews bought that losing rooster from my wife. Her nephew said that it was a very good fighting rooster. And you city fellows think that we have no excitement up here.

This would be the lead on the front page of the local newspaper.

We have it all!!!  Trespass, breaking and entering (during the hours of daylight), gang fights, rape.  Maybe even some theft.  And those guys down in Patts think they have a monopoly on crime.  Pales into comparison with what goes down in the seedier parts of Isaan.

I hope those pesky tourists are paying attention.  Please stay away as it's very dangerous up here.

On another note; electricity, mobile phone and internet connections are occasionally very patchy.  No good coming here as you can't constantly update everyone on Fakebook every time you eat, crap or see a cute, cuddly animal.

8 hours ago, Stray said:

If this was a private conversation I would say that you are in a wonderful part of the world.  However, some potential tourists may be reading so I will say that Kalasin is the pit of the pits!

Development of AH16 (Asia Highway) has put you guys in the cross-hairs for some serious 'soi dog' relocation to Vietnam.

You are right that road goes right through Kalasin.. they are working on the Mukdahan Kalasin link at the moment.. pretty well finished from Khon Kaen to Mae Sot now..  there has already been a lot of development on this route .  ... I don't know what is happening with the bit across Laos ... I haven't seen any news on that section apart from an article awhile back saying 'they' are planning bus connection to Vietnam..  express route for the poor old mangy soi dogs.. 

12 hours ago, agudbuk said:

Wife's aunts property is just to the rear of our bedroom and she keeps about half a dozen cows there. No smell but sometimes a bit of smoke from the anti-mozzie smudge fire. Rural life in Issan. Got to be better than choking on car fumes all day.

Certainly better for you than Bangkok smog..