Daughter looking after sick father at hospital goes to the roof and jumps to her death

webfact

Daughter looking after sick father at hospital goes to the roof and jumps to her death

4am.jpg

Picture: Sanook

YASOTHON: -- A Thai woman who had spent four days at her sick father's bedside then decided to kill herself, reported sanook.com.

Sasikarn Saengsuk, 42, went to the roof at the Yasothorn Hospital in the north east of Thailand and jumped.

She crashed through the tin roof of a walkway between hospitalbuildings and hit the concrete, dying instantly.

Doctors said that Sasikarn had been the only relative at her father's bedside for the last four days. They surmised this may have caused her considerable stress and led to her committing suicide.

Police said that CCTV showed Sasikarn going in the lift to the tenth floor. She exited the lift and paid her respects to an image of King Rama V before disappearing from CCTV view via the fire exit.

She is then thought to have gone to the roof and quickly jumped.

Police will be interviewing relatives to try and find out what caused her to end her life.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-23

I was in a "community" hospital one day  for observation after getting a CAG test, and I can say it was a mess! even though there were nurses there, the hospital required a "relative" to be there to bring you food other than the water rice provided, when I requested a private room i was told that me wife or a member of my family had to be there 24 hours!  as the hospital did not have the staff to "look" in on me!  

fed 

captspectre: yes that's how it works in the public health care system (outside the major regional hospitals next to a university or in a large city maybe).  if you are lucky. 

now for a bigger shock, and entirely apropro to this story as well.  the schools are also "different".  but they are full of young people.. i.e. not middle aged. i.e. not old. and aside from flagpoles, classrooms and a very big sign out front that says "school"..... nothing that happens there has to do with it being a school. nothing. 

so...  that's how you look at the bright side of things.  join the crowd.

Edited by maewang99

Sad but frequenting the public hospital system it's clear to see it is certainly a strain on the family and the patients, with nurses doing very little in the wards and patients on beds throughout the hallways or outside waiting for medical attention !

13 minutes ago, tracker1 said:

Sad but frequenting the public hospital system it's clear to see it is certainly a strain on the family and the patients, with nurses doing very little in the wards and patients on beds throughout the hallways or outside waiting for medical attention !

Tracker--I haven't had to visit a public hospital for over 3 years--but their thinking is much align to most Asian & African Hospitals..... we train our nurses for x amount of  Years, to give injections/take blood /change dressings /administer medications etc etc ...not to empty patients bed pans , help them eat their food and make cups of tea for them . Their loved ones can do that---& yes I am sure it is a strain on some families--the other side of the coin would be to have a strain on the health system, as in the UK.

If you do not have any relations--well there certainly is a problem..................:coffee1:

Edited by oxo1947
Bad-Spealingg

I've been an inpatient in a public hospital, public ward with five other people in with me, it was fine, and the food was fine also. "Water rice" = congee, it's quite tasty actually and easy to eat for sick people. Hawkers come in selling more food if you want it but frankly the food the hospital provided was enough given you are lying on your ass all day, you don't exactly need a massive post workout meal do you.

You are all too sensitive with your private rooms, I felt safer in a public ward where there would be other people there if I conked out. And everyone was very nice and social and helpful to each other. I care about the standard of medical care, not if I have a private room, and the standard of medical care was good which is the important bit.

Maybe this poor woman was just concerned about her father's health? An overwhelming sense of responsibility to parents? I see no indication it was down to some failing of the public health system which frankly is very good here for a developing country. Go get sick in Cambodia and see how you do if you think the hospitals here are bad.

Edited by blorg

5 minutes ago, blorg said:

I've been an inpatient in a public hospital, public ward with five other people in with me, it was fine, and the food was fine also. "Water rice" = congee, it's quite tasty actually and easy to eat for sick people. Hawkers come in selling more food if you want it but frankly the food the hospital provided was enough given you are lying on your ass all day, you don't exactly need a massive post workout meal do you.

You are all too sensitive with your private rooms, I felt safer in a public ward where there would be other people there if I conked out. And everyone was very nice and social and helpful to each other. I care about the standard of medical care, not if I have a private room, and the standard of medical care was good which is the important bit.

Maybe this poor woman was just concerned about her father's health? An overwhelming sense of responsibility to parents? I see no indication it was down to some failing of the public health system which frankly is very good here for a developing country. Go get sick in Cambodia and see how you do if you think the hospitals here are bad.

Yeah, sure, everything is hunky dory...

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Yeah, sure, everything is hunky dory...

For a developing country, the public health system here is actually pretty stellar. This isn't Western Europe, it doesn't have the same tax base, they do very well with what they have. Honestly, I have experience with the health systems in a lot of developing countries and Thailand is one of the best. I have been to hospital here quite a lot and usually go public because it's cheaper and the the care is just as good as the private hospitals where you are paying for the lobby wallpaper.

You are all just a bunch of whingers. Why are you even here?

6 minutes ago, blorg said:

For a developing country, the public health system here is actually pretty stellar. This isn't Western Europe, it doesn't have the same tax base, they do very well with what they have. Honestly, I have experience with the health systems in a lot of developing countries and Thailand is one of the best. I have been to hospital here quite a lot and usually go public because it's cheaper and the the care is just as good as the private hospitals where you are paying for the lobby wallpaper.

Ah, and you were doing so well until that final, apologist "go home" line.

Apologists are no better than those who are constantly negative.

Ah, and you were doing so well until that final, apologist "go home" line.

Apologists are no better than those who are constantly negative.

He was actually making a very valid point, well worth considering - yes until that final comment.

3 minutes ago, JAG said:

He was actually making a very valid point, well worth considering - yes until that final comment.

I agree and would have said so, until I read that final line.

Up to that point, I thought they were making a well reasoned argument.

Edited by Bluespunk

@JAG & @Bluespunk it's in reaction to people who in response to a tragic story about a woman killing herself have the immediate reaction to start shitting on the Thai medical system, as if it was the thought of having to eat congee or not having a nurse make them a nice cup of tea drove this poor woman to suicide.

Do you have NO sense of perspective here whatsoever? 

There is absolutely NOTHING in the story that indicates there was anything whatsoever wrong with the hospital but these people have their first reaction to find something Thailand related to shit on. And so for that, yes, I do have to wonder, why on earth are they here if that is their first reaction?

I'm by no means all rosy eyed about the place, Thailand has many issues, but this is a tragic story about a suicide apparently related to the health of a parent which is hardly unknown anywhere in the world and if this happened in the UK I doubt you'd all be out trying to pin it on the nurse who provided a plain rather than chocolate digestive at tea time.

18 minutes ago, blorg said:

@JAG & @Bluespunk it's in reaction to people who in response to a tragic story about a woman killing herself have the immediate reaction to start shitting on the Thai medical system, as if it was the thought of having to eat congee or not having a nurse make them a nice cup of tea drove this poor woman to suicide.

Do you have NO sense of perspective here whatsoever? 

There is absolutely NOTHING in the story that indicates there was anything whatsoever wrong with the hospital but these people have their first reaction to find something Thailand related to shit on. And so for that, yes, I do have to wonder, why on earth are they here if that is their first reaction?

I'm by no means all rosy eyed about the place, Thailand has many issues, but this is a tragic story about a suicide apparently related to the health of a parent which is hardly unknown anywhere in the world and if this happened in the UK I doubt you'd all be out trying to pin it on the nurse who provided a plain rather than chocolate digestive at tea time.

I wasn't blaming it on anyone, you made some good points

I wouldn't have bothered saying anything but for your "if you don't like it, go home" apologist ending.

It made your post no better than those being overly negative.

10 hours ago, oldgent said:

so sad suicide is a terrible disease that,s enough to kill her poor Papa

most likely no money to pay the hospital bill

10 hours ago, oldgent said:

so sad suicide is a terrible disease that,s enough to kill her poor Papa

most likely no money to pay the hospital bill

Suicide a disease? <deleted>?

6 hours ago, blorg said:

Got to agree, try working in Cambodia or Africa and see what you think of public hospitals in most developing nations.

I don't even trust the Lab Results from private hospitals in Nigeria, let alone treatment.... fly to BKK and get them done.

As a foreigner I have insurance and hence use private hospitals. My partner still has the Taksin 30B per visit card - check up or inpatient or anything inbetween he pays only 30B. He is happy with the public hospitals and having visited him during a stay in one it seems he get the same standard of medicine (most important) but has to stay in a ward without 5 star food. OK so I took food to him, not a big deal.

But this thread is about a tragic suicide and we can only guess at the reasons behind it. But don't blame the system

Edited by oceanyachting

13 hours ago, captspectre said:

I was in a "community" hospital one day  for observation after getting a CAG test, and I can say it was a mess! even though there were nurses there, the hospital required a "relative" to be there to bring you food other than the water rice provided, when I requested a private room i was told that me wife or a member of my family had to be there 24 hours!  as the hospital did not have the staff to "look" in on me!  

fed 

Normal in govt. hospitals

12 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

Tracker--I haven't had to visit a public hospital for over 3 years--but their thinking is much align to most Asian & African Hospitals..... we train our nurses for x amount of  Years, to give injections/take blood /change dressings /administer medications etc etc ...not to empty patients bed pans , help them eat their food and make cups of tea for them . Their loved ones can do that---& yes I am sure it is a strain on some families--the other side of the coin would be to have a strain on the health system, as in the UK.

If you do not have any relations--well there certainly is a problem..................:coffee1:

If you have a bit of spare coin and no relatives or friends, you can hire a carer to look after your needs, some even do as a means of reducing the load even if they have family there most of the time. 

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions about what was in this woman's head that drove her to suicide.

Losing face ,  comes to mind ,  no  finances to take care papa .

Nothing new in  LOS , happens all the time . Thai health care .

Edited by elliss