Bangkok police say their "fancy cameras" project a great success as 30,000 tickets issued in 20 days

webfact

Bangkok police say their "fancy cameras" project a great success as 30,000 tickets issued in 20 days

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- Police in Bangkok have called their campaign to issue stations with fancy cameras to catch motorists breaking the law "a great success".

Deputy metropolitan chief in charge of traffic Jiraphat Phumijit was giving the stats after the first twenty days of the campaign from February 1st to 20th, Daily News reported.

Jiraphat said that 31,264 tickets had been issued through the post and motorists were going to police stations or using bank transfer to pay the fines.

Some 88 police stations in the capital were given a budget to buy the fancy cameras that would take good pictures.

The top three offences caught by the cameras were as follows:

1. Not observing road signs or road markings 24,619 cases

2. Speeding 2,966 cases

3. Going through red lights 772 cases.

Some 492 people were also caught going the wrong way or ignoring police instructions. There were also a variety of other infractions.

Jiraphat said: "We set no targets for officers to aim for and we are delighted with the start made and hope it will have a benefit in improving driving behavior. It is a great success so far".

Jiraphat also responded to suggestions from an anti drink driving foundation that all motorists should equip their cars with dash cams. He deemed this a very good idea that will help in many ways such as the gathering of evidence in accidents.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-23

I wonder if the ticket is challenged in court to the accuracy and calibration

of the machine and the credentials of the operator to be certified to operate

and handle such delicate instrument, would it be possible to argue the above

as you can in other countries?.....

6 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I read a while back that there was an issue between the police the the land transport department.  If you don't pay your fine, they LTD can not revoke your car license.  I'd be interested to know if anybody else has read about this.

Fixed speed cameras are a great idea.  I'd love to see some here in Pattaya on the Sukhumvit raceway! LOL

Ahhh! The rivers of gold that were promised are starting to flow without the officer having to sully themselves by actually confronting a hostile public.

Next step will be collection of the fines. That could prove the challenge. How many of those caught still live at the address on their paperwork for the vehicle they were piloting? If in fact the owner was the person in charge of the vehicle at the time. The rivers of gold may slow to a trickle if these issues are not resolved unless the police decide to just play the numbers game.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that "fancy camera" looks like a bog standard digital SLR?  Where's the speed measuring device?  Or are the cops just taking photos of vehicles they "suspect" of breaking the law and sending out summonses?  This isn't progress....at least you can argue (negotiate?) with a cop who stops you at the side of the road.  These guys will just take photos of 50 random vehicles in an hour and then knock off for lunch!

There will eventually be a public backlash as in the United States and eventually the cameras will be shelved. The more tickets, the higher the insurance rates that people can't afford. It's better to have the police pull people over the old fashion way as it is more acceptable.  In the United States it was discovered that the speed cams were actually paid for by the insurance companies. Which is pretty disgraceful. 

3 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Ahhh! The rivers of gold that were promised are starting to flow without the officer having to sully themselves by actually confronting a hostile public.

Next step will be collection of the fines. That could prove the challenge. How many of those caught still live at the address on their paperwork for the vehicle they were piloting? If in fact the owner was the person in charge of the vehicle at the time. The rivers of gold may slow to a trickle if these issues are not resolved unless the police decide to just play the numbers game.

If you dont pay the fine they wont renew the road tax on your car. The bill will be presented when turning up one way or the other.

26 minutes ago, Kabula said:

There will eventually be a public backlash as in the United States and eventually the cameras will be shelved. The more tickets, the higher the insurance rates that people can't afford. It's better to have the police pull people over the old fashion way as it is more acceptable.  In the United States it was discovered that the speed cams were actually paid for by the insurance companies. Which is pretty disgraceful. 

The United States is a large country. Each state has different traffic laws, and indeed many counties and cities within those states have additional codes as well. I can only speak from my experience as a Peace Officer in California. In my area, insurance companies did not purchase stationary traffic cameras that captured "red light runners". The various cities who opted to have them installed, contracted with a commercial company who paid for the installation and maintenance of those devices.

Fines collected from violators were divided between the city and the commercial company.  The company also appeared in court to defend the reliability and accuracy of the devices if the citation was challenged by the person cited. Again, some cities and counties opted out of using such devices and rely on Peace Officers to monitor, educate and/or cite traffic violators.

As for hand held "speed cameras", LIDAR was used in my area. They were not  pad for by insurance companies, but by state and federal grants aimed at improving traffic safety.  I try to refrain from using blanket statements about most things, particularly when I have limited knowledge of the topic.

Its simple if people receive continuous monthly traffic tickets for speeding red light, riding pavements ,overtake wrong lane, bumper tailing etc.Then after some years it will make the roads more safe.so pls roll out the cams nationwide.It also will be a great tax income maker.

9 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I read a while back that there was an issue between the police the the land transport department.  If you don't pay your fine, they LTD can not revoke your car license.  I'd be interested to know if anybody else has read about this.

Fixed speed cameras are a great idea.  I'd love to see some here in Pattaya on the Sukhumvit raceway! LOL

Yes this happens, not pay the fine and the car can not be payed for the next year. Smart system :-).

Why do they need the cameras for this now? They issued me a ticket and insisted that I pay there on the spot...never did get the ticket. Wonder if that was included in the statistics? Never was told what the violation was. I just assumed that this was proof I was now officially welcomed into the neighborhood. 

15 hours ago, Benmart said:

The United States is a large country. Each state has different traffic laws, and indeed many counties and cities within those states have additional codes as well. I can only speak from my experience as a Peace Officer in California. In my area, insurance companies did not purchase stationary traffic cameras that captured "red light runners". The various cities who opted to have them installed, contracted with a commercial company who paid for the installation and maintenance of those devices.

Fines collected from violators were divided between the city and the commercial company.  The company also appeared in court to defend the reliability and accuracy of the devices if the citation was challenged by the person cited. Again, some cities and counties opted out of using such devices and rely on Peace Officers to monitor, educate and/or cite traffic violators.

As for hand held "speed cameras", LIDAR was used in my area. They were not  pad for by insurance companies, but by state and federal grants aimed at improving traffic safety.  I try to refrain from using blanket statements about most things, particularly when I have limited knowledge of the topic.

You are correct you do have limited knowledge on the subject.  I owned an Insurance Adjustment Co for 30 years and was recommended by the A.M. Best Co. for all lines for 13 years.  I worked for over 325 Insurance Companies and self insurers.  This subject was discussed with CEO's and Manager for many years.  My best friend is a Judge.  I menored his best friend for many years an he became a Judge.For many years many Judges  dismissed all speed cameras tickets in their courts.  When entire populations get so many tickets they can no longer afford insurance  the cameras got to go.  Many depend on driving for their livelyhood.

Edited by Kabula

6 minutes ago, Kabula said:

When entire populations get so many tickets they can no longer afford insurance  the cameras got to go.  Many depend on driving for their livelyhood.

How about these people obey the law and slow down.  Speed cameras work.  You get a fine for $100 or more, you're going to think the next time you speed.  I sure do. 

I was just in Eastern Europe where these cameras are quite common.  Amazing at how everybody obeys the speed limits there.  LOL

11 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Why its called a succes if somany drivers do not follow the traffic laws?och wait its a succes because lots of traffic tickets means lots of money.

Quite! It's only a success if their 'fancy cameras' make drivers drive more carefully and within the law.

19 hours ago, KamnanT said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that "fancy camera" looks like a bog standard digital SLR?  Where's the speed measuring device?  Or are the cops just taking photos of vehicles they "suspect" of breaking the law and sending out summonses?  This isn't progress....at least you can argue (negotiate?) with a cop who stops you at the side of the road.  These guys will just take photos of 50 random vehicles in an hour and then knock off for lunch!

this is old standard practice , the policemen estimates the speed of the vehicle

23 hours ago, ezzra said:

I would be happy if the Police of koh Samui do the same where the bloody bastards on the bikes, cars and trucks race around the clock, especially on the new parts of the main roads free of any humps speed breaks

6 hours ago, Kabula said:

You are correct you do have limited knowledge on the subject.  I owned an Insurance Adjustment Co for 30 years and was recommended by the A.M. Best Co. for all lines for 13 years.  I worked for over 325 Insurance Companies and self insurers.  This subject was discussed with CEO's and Manager for many years.  My best friend is a Judge.  I menored his best friend for many years an he became a Judge.For many years many Judges  dismissed all speed cameras tickets in their courts.  When entire populations get so many tickets they can no longer afford insurance  the cameras got to go.  Many depend on driving for their livelyhood.

They have had them in Europe for years and they work. 

As for people needing their license for work, they of all people should know better. 

In my neck of the woods in the US it is not the insurance companies behind the traffic cams but the municipalities and the great funder of the companies that run these camera operations, Goldman Sachs. It only cost about $10,000 to install a camera and, to simplify matters, let's say the fine is $100.  The municipality splits the money with the operator. So the operator received $50 per incident and pays for the install after only 200 tickets. At only one ticket per day the operator pays for the original investment of hardware after only six months.  Where I am at,the average camera tickets 10 incidents per day and the fine is $125. Goldman-Sachs knows a goldmine when they see one.

Insurance companies here are only marginally impacted here as they are usually not able to raise rates as it is not registered as a "moving violation". 

But here in the US most tickets are issued to very good law abiding drivers for trivial offenses such as going 25mph in a 20mph school zone when no children are present or not coming to a complete stop, AKA California stop, at a red light; trivial in the sense that there are trivial numbers of accidents resulting from such "offenses". In Thailand there are far greater numbers of drivers who are just bad drivers combined with a police force that is loath to stop cars so perhaps using these cameras is a good thing.