The Bangkok Mall

paulinbkk111

Supposedly the biggest mall in Asia (bangna trad opposite BITEC). Was meant to start years ago, now just a vacant block.

Surprised as it was the plan from one of the largest mall developers/owners in Thailand.  Anyone know whats going on? Will it happen or is it all over?

I was wondering the same thing.  Since the project was announced, several new malls have been built.  One, The Quartier has high end shops and on my walk through seems empty.  They probably cannot get enough tenants in the new project.  There is an office at the front with people inside, whatever they are doing??? 

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I was wondering the same thing.  Since the project was announced, several new malls have been built.  One, The Quartier has high end shops and on my walk through seems empty.  They probably cannot get enough tenants in the new project.  There is an office at the front with people inside, whatever they are doing??? 

Same with every high end mall in Bangkok. Very few, if any, customers. I'm convinced they can only be there as part of a money laundering scheme. They most certainly aren't there to make money. I'd be surprised if they get more than one or two customers a week.

Too many malls now , in Bangkok certainly, also Pattaya. Not sure how they pay their rent, most shops seem quiet.The big chain shops, Zara, Mango, Bâta, Uniqlo, H+M seem to be busy, so it's the cheap shops that have taken over the whole world.

restaurants , fast-food chains and food halls are the winners I think. 

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Same with every high end mall in Bangkok. Very few, if any, customers. I'm convinced they can only be there as part of a money laundering scheme. They most certainly aren't there to make money. I'd be surprised if they get more than one or two customers a week.

Well you obviously do not get to BKK much. Siam Paragon, EmQuartier, Emporium, J Avenue packed every weekend, Mega Bangna are expanding they are doing so well. Which malls are you talking about?

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Well you obviously do not get to BKK much. Siam Paragon, EmQuartier, Emporium, J Avenue packed every weekend, Mega Bangna are expanding they are doing so well. Which malls are you talking about?

I lived in Bangkok for over 20 years, thanks, and still visit every month. And I rarely see anyone in the Rolex, Mont Blanc any designer clothing stores. Are you trying to tell me those stores are packed with people spending 50,000+ baht on a dress or 200,000+ on a watch?

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I lived in Bangkok for over 20 years, thanks, and still visit every month. And I rarely see anyone in the Rolex, Mont Blanc any designer clothing stores. Are you trying to tell me those stores are packed with people spending 50,000+ baht on a dress or 200,000+ on a watch?

I cannot speak for individual shops, but i presume if they don't make money they would shut. But the centres themselves when i go in are packed with people.

46 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I cannot speak for individual shops, but i presume if they don't make money they would shut. But the centres themselves when i go in are packed with people.

Sightseeing and keeping out the heat, mostly. My point was that the high-end shops cannot possibly be there to make money as they never seem to have any customers. There must be an ulterior motive.

On 2/25/2017 at 0:41 PM, smutcakes said:

Was going to say the same thing. Emquartier is always busy. Same with Mega. As far as them purchasing anything well thats a different story

On 2/25/2017 at 3:09 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Sightseeing and keeping out the heat, mostly. My point was that the high-end shops cannot possibly be there to make money as they never seem to have any customers. There must be an ulterior motive.

No. High end shops are not there to sell.. They are there to make an impression. It's not ulterior motive, but it's how they operate. 

They are there to steal air con.

• 6 months later...

I live right next to the Bangkok Mall- property in my home at the new condominium The Sky Sukhumvit I have a birds eye view to the plot. Nothing is going on there except soi dogs having a ball. The huge signage facing Bangna Trat Highway is still there and has just been renewed. No news from The Mall Group about what's going on. What I heard from Hiso Thais in my area is that the The Mall Group are waiting for an upswing in the Thai economy and saying it's sluggish right now. There are a couple of videos on youtube about the Bangkok Mall for anyone interested.

19 hours ago, MartinBangkok said:

I live right next to the Bangkok Mall- property in my home at the new condominium The Sky Sukhumvit I have a birds eye view to the plot. Nothing is going on there except soi dogs having a ball. The huge signage facing Bangna Trat Highway is still there and has just been renewed. No news from The Mall Group about what's going on. What I heard from Hiso Thais in my area is that the The Mall Group are waiting for an upswing in the Thai economy and saying it's sluggish right now. There are a couple of videos on youtube about the Bangkok Mall for anyone interested.

Photos taken from my balcony 18.09.17: (the vacant plot with Bangna Trat and Bitec exhibition complex in the background)

20170919_082149.jpg

20170919_082136.jpg

Edited by MartinBangkok

19 hours ago, MartinBangkok said:

Which means it will most likely never happen as the Thai stock market is at about all time highs, interest rates are low, and the GDP is decent.

It ain't China and never will be if that is what they are waiting for.

I would like to see that mall but think, no way Jose.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2017 at 12:51 AM, geisha said:

Too many malls now , in Bangkok certainly, also Pattaya. Not sure how they pay their rent, most shops seem quiet.The big chain shops, Zara, Mango, Bâta, Uniqlo, H+M seem to be busy, so it's the cheap shops that have taken over the whole world.

restaurants , fast-food chains and food halls are the winners I think. 

Too many malls in Pattaya ?  Care to name me 5 ?

Central Festival, Center Marina, Royal Garden Plaza, Mike Shopping Mall

25 minutes ago, thairookie said:

Too many malls in Pattaya ?  Care to name me 5 ?

Central Festival, Center Marina, Royal Garden Plaza, Mike Shopping Mall

Geez dude, what are you?

This is a Bangkok mall has nothing to do with Pattaya..........