How to get a Thai driving license? - 2017

alexlm

23 hours ago, giddyup said:

Look at the top of the page, you see "Thai Drivers Licence Checklist", click on that.

All that says is how to renew a 1 year license and how to go from a year license to a 5 year

..unless I clicked on the wrong link

1 minute ago, starky said:

All that says is how to renew a 1 year license and how to go from a year license to a 5 year

..unless I clicked on the wrong link

Perhaps you need to be a bit more clear as to what you actually want. The checklist tells you what paperwork you need to obtain a Thai drivers licence, what else do you need to know?

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Perhaps you need to be a bit more clear as to what you actually want. The checklist tells you what paperwork you need to obtain a Thai drivers licence, what else do you need to know?

Well I don't but the OP wants a Thai Drivers license all that links shows is what to do if you already have one does it not?

Basically you will need:

Your passport with departure card tm6
IDP ( if you have one)
Doctors certificate ( basic checks from hospital or clinic usually 50 - 80 baht)
Residence certificate from immigration.

Photocopies:
Passport photo page, visa page, entry stamp.
Tm 6
IDP title, photo and endorsement page.
Driving license front and back.
Residence certificate
Medical certificate

On some lists I have seen that you need photos as well, at my immigration they took a photo and used theirs.

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm [emoji4]

If you have a driving license in English or an IDP then just present the docs and do 3 tests:
Colour blindness
Reaction
Depth of perception

All very easy.

If you don't have license in English or IDP then you will have to do the practical ( driving) and watch a video, I think. I'm not 100% sure about this as it didn't apply to me.

The license costs 305 baht and is good for 2 years ( was 1 year ) and then you renew for 5 year license.

All my posts are from my experience only and from 1 month ago , if I forgot something or misquoted something I'm sorry, I'm sure my TV colleagues will correct me. !

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm [emoji4]

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

If you have a driving license in English or an IDP then just present the docs and do 3 tests:
Colour blindness
Reaction
Depth of perception

All very easy.

If you don't have license in English or IDP then you will have to do the practical ( driving) and watch a video, I think. I'm not 100% sure about this as it didn't apply to me.

The license costs 305 baht and is good for 2 years ( was 1 year ) and then you renew for 5 year license.

All my posts are from my experience only and from 1 month ago , if I forgot something or misquoted something I'm sorry, I'm sure my TV colleagues will correct me. !

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm emoji4.png

Wrong. If you have the IDP you breeze through skipping the exam and practical. If you just have a regular DL you must do everything.

Just now, Denim said:

Depends how color blind.  There are degrees to color blindness. 

Well I can generally tell the difference between red and green and certainly can at traffic lights from 100 yards away but their faded cardboard dotted picture I failed. Guy said no can do and said come back tomorrow !!!

Yeah a nights sleep will fix my eyes im sure !! :shock1:

1 minute ago, ronaldo0 said:

Well I can generally tell the difference between red and green and certainly can at traffic lights from 100 yards away but their faded cardboard dotted picture I failed. Guy said no can do and said come back tomorrow !!!

If you are a bit color blind those cards with the dots can be trouble.

If you search the net you can find this color blind test and get a bit of practice in.

Just now, Denim said:

If you are a bit color blind those cards with the dots can be trouble.

If you search the net you can find this color blind test and get a bit of practice in.

Yeah I have done the official card tests you get all around the world and pass most off it in reds and greens. Enchroma glasses were an option but are 6-800 gbp and don't work for everyone.

Never had an accident in 15 years and have a uk license and had my 5 year Thai one to get renewed . Not driven since although there is a company in Phuket who can get either a license or a international driving permit  that I may look into.

I haven't had one issued yet, just keep using my international booklet. Went through police checks a couple of times on our Phuket-Savannakhet-Phuket visa road trip with wife, but no issues at all. Super nice policemen, but had to contribute 300 baht for family (or gig :) dinner for speeding once.

I have colour deficiency by the way: the coloured beans book is all Chinese to me haha

1 hour ago, ronaldo0 said:

Some resting offices use three random  lights. May be easier for you

9 minutes ago, agudbuk said:

Can you renew a 5 year licence in another province? I have trouble with the colour test in Pattaya because of colour blindness, but can distinguish traffic lights easily enough, the trick is to know what Transport offices use the 3 random lights.

8 minutes ago, agudbuk said:

Am in samui and there is only one office. They shipped out all the staff from before as they reckoned people were cheating or getting the license without doing the tests required.

Just now, giddyup said:

Can you renew a 5 year licence in another province? I have trouble with the colour test in Pattaya because of colour blindness, but can distinguish traffic lights easily enough, the trick is to know what Transport offices use the 3 random lights.

There is also a bit about this from few months ago on thai visa and a lot off the people said they ask the same order off colours everytime for 6 or so questions. Not checked this statement out myself yet and in no hurry to be humiliated again .

2 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Wrong. If you have the IDP you breeze through skipping the exam and practical. If you just have a regular DL you must do everything.

You are 100% correct-

Also, if you let your Thai licence expire more than 3 years you will have to do everything from scratch, video, colour, depth perception, computer theory and the practical driving test.

Alternatively, you can pay 2-3000 Baht and have a licence under the table.

Edited by Formaleins

4 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

There is also a bit about this from few months ago on thai visa and a lot off the people said they ask the same order off colours everytime for 6 or so questions. Not checked this statement out myself yet and in no hurry to be humiliated again .

I admit I had some help both times for the 1 year and then the 5 year licence, but in Pattaya now they test people alone, before every man and his dog could accompany you.

5 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

You are 100% correct-

Also, if you let your Thai licence expire more than 3 years you will have to do everything from scratch, video, colour, depth perception, computer theory and the practical driving test.

Alternatively, you can pay 2-3000 Baht and have a licence under the table.

I think paying money for a licence may happen in some of the smaller rural areas, but I doubt if that would happen in Pattaya, too many eyes watching.

44 minutes ago, giddyup said:

My wife says Phuket does the traffic lights simulation.