Two motorists face charges for road rage incident in Phuket

rooster59

Two motorists face charges for road rage incident in Phuket 

Eakkapop Thongtub

1487997029_1.jpg

Picture: Facebook.com/youlikededded

PHUKET: Police summoned two men to be charged with reckless driving following a road rage incident in Kamala yesterday (Feb 24).

The incident was recorded by a witness and posted online on YouLike Facebook page. The video went viral and reached over 24,000 views and 110 shares in just one day.

The video shows a conflict between two teenagers on a Honda Scoopi motorbike and a driver of a blue Honda Jazz hatchback. First the drivers exchange gestures and words, then the car forces the bike to move into an opposing lane, and in the culmination the biker hits the car several times with his hands and feet.

According to the witness the incident took place while both vehicles were heading from Bang Tao (where the conflict allegedly started) to Kamala, but the initial phase of the conflict was not filmed and it is yet to be found what sparked the argument.

Commenting on the video, the witness several time said “farang”, presuming that the car driver could be a foreigner. However Col Sermphan Sirikong of Phuket Provincial Police later informed The Phuket News that this guess was wrong and all the involved motorists were Thai. The car driver filed a police report following the incident, Col Sermphan added.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/two-motorists-face-charges-for-road-rage-incident-in-phuket-61163.php#OxuOwXZvftmDdkMj.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-02-25

Interesting that the witness apparently suggested several times that the car driver was a farang. That would explain everything would it?

Happily it turns out a farang was not involved at all, only Thais.

However, it concerns me that it could be assumed that the mere sight of poor behaviour, could so readily be attributed to us.

I regularly see comments on here, when people are commenting about something stupid, that we are just "Thai bashing."

Seems on this occasion, the shoe is on the other foot.

43 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I know it's very wrong, but, if a dick on a bike decided to kick my car like that I don't know if I could resist the shunt.

And that's why I would call it a lucky survival for the .... on the bike.

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I know it's very wrong, but, if a dick on a bike decided to kick my car like that I don't know if I could resist the shunt.

If I was forced into the opposing lane on my motorbike, I think a few kicks and stumps are very much justified.

Back in the days when motorcycles were not the standard vehicle for travel (real world) The few of us who rode them were taught to obey the same rules of the road as the other vehicles (cars/trucks) You did not pass on shoulder, cut others off at traffic lights, drive down middle of the road, etc. you drove the cycle just like you would drive a auto, in respect to other traffic on the public roads.  Many of the motorcycles here are driven like they own the entire road, footpath, and anyone or living animal that gets in their way.

The majority probably should  still be following the arse of a buffalo going around a 5 rai  plot of farm land and use public transport to any place the can not get to in a couple hour walk.

Gazette has a slightly different version, where the bike under or overtook and dangerously cut in front of the Jazz driver who responded by beeping the horn - that was the trigger for this - according to the Phuket gazette report at least.

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I think it would have to depend on who did what to whom first; wouldn't it?  I have been run-off the road on purpose by car drivers--not just once, but many times. The worst cases are oncoming passing; they will pull into my lane to pass a car and just expect me to get out of their way.  Others like to ride right up on your butt when there is a car in front of you. It seems too many of them feel bike riders ought to get off the road to let them pass. 

9 hours ago, slapout said:

Back in the days when motorcycles were not the standard vehicle for travel (real world) The few of us who rode them were taught to obey the same rules of the road as the other vehicles (cars/trucks) You did not pass on shoulder, cut others off at traffic lights, drive down middle of the road, etc. you drove the cycle just like you would drive a auto, in respect to other traffic on the public roads.  Many of the motorcycles here are driven like they own the entire road, footpath, and anyone or living animal that gets in their way.

The majority probably should  still be following the arse of a buffalo going around a 5 rai  plot of farm land and use public transport to any place the can not get to in a couple hour walk.

You need to get with the times. Lane filtering is legal in a lot of places now. As for travel time envy, that's your problem.

9 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

And of course no mention that the morons on the scooter had no hemet.  If I was the Jazz driver I would not have shown so much restraint.  They actually deserved to be side swerved into an oncoming truck.

Yup. Let's just kill someone because they annoy us.

20 hours ago, stevenl said:
22 hours ago, Old Croc said:

If I was forced into the opposing lane on my motorbike, I think a few kicks and stumps are very much justified.

I've looked at that video several times now, and I don't believe the car forced the bike wide after it was alongside. I think the car moved out to the centre line to try to stop the biker coming from behind to remonstrate. The biker could have stayed behind the car and remained on the correct side of the road. He was obviously enraged and determined to vent.

The safety of himself and his female passenger was not part of his agenda.

A pity the video doesn't show the initial incident, but I tend to believe the reports that the bike cut in front of the car and he didn't like being honked at. The Thai anger gene took hold!

I'll amend my former statement. I would have resisted the shunt, because of the heavy traffic and the fact that he had a passenger (who should have been clouting the fool around his unhelmeted head!) 

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I've looked at that video several times now, and I don't believe the car forced the bike wide after it was alongside. I think the car moved out to the centre line to try to stop the biker coming from behind to remonstrate. The biker could have stayed behind the car and remained on the correct side of the road. He was obviously enraged and determined to vent.

The safety of himself and his female passenger was not part of his agenda.

A pity the video doesn't show the initial incident, but I tend to believe the reports that the bike cut in front of the car and he didn't like being honked at. The Thai anger gene took hold!

I'll amend my former statement. I would have resisted the shunt, because of the heavy traffic and the fact that he had a passenger (who should have been clouting the fool around his unhelmeted head!) 

We don't know exactly what happened since there is no video available. According to the OP the main altercation happened before the video started.

But according to the story first there was the shunt, after that the kicking of the car. And in that case, yes, I understand the kicking of the car. Nothing justifies forcing a motorbike into the opposite lane

I perhaps use my horn more often than is good for my health and safety but only when it's justified, like this morning when a gold sedan taxi was driving on the bendy Kata hills overtaking a queue of traffic on the wrong side of the road. Had there been a car or bike on my left I'd have been forced into an accident. It's at times like these I consider buying a dash cam.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

We don't know exactly what happened since there is no video available. According to the OP the main altercation happened before the video started.

But according to the story first there was the shunt, after that the kicking of the car. And in that case, yes, I understand the kicking of the car. Nothing justifies forcing a motorbike into the opposite lane

Nothing justifies the pr1ck from acting as he did either

At what point was there a 'shunt'- this all started over a 'beep' - I guess that's OK is it?

No one forced the motorbike to come alongside- both were committing an offence by crossing the solid line. When the car pulled across he could have fallen back but that's not 'Thai youth style' is it? 

This thuglet shout be taken round the back of the monkeyhouse and given a good slap.   As it is both drivers are being charged but the mb driver should be done for the kicking the car  or intimidation as well.  

20 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Nothing justifies the pr1ck from acting as he did either

At what point was there a 'shunt'- this all started over a 'beep' - I guess that's OK is it?

No one forced the motorbike to come alongside- both were committing an offence by crossing the solid line. When the car pulled across he could have fallen back but that's not 'Thai youth style' is it? 

This thuglet shout be taken round the back of the monkeyhouse and given a good slap.   As it is both drivers are being charged but the mb driver should be done for the kicking the car  or intimidation as well.  

According to the OP the motorbike was forced into the lane for oncoming traffic. That justifies a few kicks IMO.