Protester hangs self near Dhammakaya Temple

rooster59

Protester hangs self near Dhammakaya Temple

By The Nation

e5975f41d0a51caec261ea636774bd83.jpeg

A middle-aged man hanged himself from a 100-metre-high radio antenna on Saturday night in an apparent protest against the ongoing siege of the controversial Dhammakaya Temple.

The man, wearing black, started climbing the structure at a community radio station located behind the vast temple complex in Pathum Thani at about 6 pm. He also displayed a placard with a message giving authorities a 9 pm deadline for a junta order against Dhammakaya to be revoked.

“Please revoke the Article 44 order before 9 pm or you can collect my body,” his message read.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30307286

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-26

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Stupid bugger what did that achieve?

... a dangerous retrieval exercise for the poor buggers who had the job of getting him down. Maybe should left him there as a warning to others. 

9 minutes ago, Artisi said:

... a dangerous retrieval exercise for the poor buggers who had the job of getting him down. Maybe should left him there as a warning to others. 

Perhaps not a warning, but an example for others.

One wonders whether this man considered the consequences on others before throwing away his life for such an arguably unworthy cause.

Like the suicide bombers of a rival faith, the brief pain of his parting was as nothing compared to the legacy of grief inflicted upon the loved ones he left behind.

As the late and great contrarian Christopher Hitchens famously remarked,  "Religion poisons everything". 

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

As the late and great contrarian Christopher Hitchens famously remarked,  "Religion poisons everything". 

True.

As well as: "there is no eastern solution" where he explains how corrupted the socalled eastern religions including buddhism are FOS. Thats. Full. Of. Shjt...

16 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Does Buddhism recognize martyrs? 

They have done, in Vietnam and Tibet, but I very much doubt they will see this one as a martyr seeing as it is not Buddhism being persecuted this time, just a corrupt monk being investigated.

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

What Hitchens didn't understand (and Dawkins too come to that) is that religion only poisons everything from an intellectual atheistic perspective - and being an intellectual atheist, his observation was therefore more egocentric than it was dispassionate and objective.

I'm also an intellectual atheist, but not an egocentric one, and I can recognise that religion is necessary for the simple-minded masses. Without it they will run amok. There's no question of 'eradicating' religion - at least not until we have evolved into a different species (we have entered the post-human era, but there are centuries to go) - so even railing about religion intellectually is ignorant.

Regarding Dhammakaya, if the establishment tries to eradicate it, they will only give the entire movement the cachet of martyrdom.

Edited by ddavidovsky

23 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

What Hitchens didn't understand (and Dawkins too come to that) is that religion only poisons everything from an intellectual atheistic perspective - and being an intellectual atheist, his observation was therefore more egocentric than it was dispassionate and objective.

I'm also an intellectual atheist, but not an egocentric one, and I can recognise that religion is necessary for the simple-minded masses. Without it they will run amok. There's no question of 'eradicating' religion - at least not until we have evolved into a different species (we have entered the post-human era, but there are centuries to go) - so even railing about religion intellectually is ignorant.

Regarding Dhammakaya, if the establishment tries to eradicate it, they will only give the entire movement the cachet of martyrdom.

In what way are we in a post-human era and how exactly are we to evolve collectively into anything more advanced when our breeding is in no way controlled by nature?

Leave those people in LOS and Buddhism alone if you never read or learn what Buddha 's teachings are.

By three Years I learned a lot from my Thai partner about those teachings and to be honest ...as I hate religions of this world Buddha teaching could make this world much much better ...