rooster59

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, LannaGuy said:

"Thai's hate him"  say's who?  your next door neighbor?  most Thais are unaware of him or the BBC or do you mean the Junta because of his fair and consistent reporting?  great journalist, ex president of foreign correspondents club and respected WIDELY. 

The corrupt and wanna be mafia types hate him

Just now, LannaGuy said:

"Thai's hate him"  say's who?  your next door neighbor?  most Thais are unaware of him or the BBC or do you mean the Junta because of his fair and consistent reporting?  great journalist, ex president of foreign correspondents club and respected WIDELY. 

Not by me - he is biased and adores Yingluck and Thaksin. Should have been booted from Thailand ages ago.

1 minute ago, LannaGuy said:

My experience (though this does not prove much, as I have not done a nationwide survey) is that the Thais who hate Jonathan Head are those who adore the junta, think the bulk of the Thai population has no right to a vote (because they are uneducated buffaloes who do not know what is good or bad for their country), and those Jonathan Head-haters also happen to be earning a very nice salary themselves, thank you very much. It's the 'I'm all right, Jack' syndrome, Thai-style!

5 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

Not by me - he is biased and adores Yingluck and Thaksin. Should have been booted from Thailand ages ago.

He reported FAIRLY and the BBC is known for it

what you are saying is that his fair reporting did not agree with YOUR bias against Yingluck or Thaksin but let us NOT turn this thread into a but, but, but Thaksin thread Plzzzzzzzzzzzz  I just can't bear it   :post-4641-1156693976:

2 minutes ago, Eligius said:

My experience (though this does not prove much, as I have not done a nationwide survey) is that the Thais who hate Jonathan Head are those who adore the junta, think the bulk of the Thai population has no right to a vote (because they are uneducated buffaloes who do not know what is good or bad for their country), and those Jonathan Head-haters also happen to be earning a very nice salary themselves, thank you very much. It's the 'I'm all right, Jack' syndrome, Thai-style!

Biased journalists who support fugitives and irresponsible politicians that have done untold damage to Thailand and it's economy should be barred from reporting - fake news doesn't have a place in society (ask Mr. Trump). 

Anyone has the right to file a defamation case against another - agree with this?

1 minute ago, lucky11 said:

Biased journalists who support fugitives and irresponsible politicians that have done untold damage to Thailand and it's economy should be barred from reporting - fake news doesn't have a place in society (ask Mr. Trump). 

Anyone has the right to file a defamation case against another - agree with this?

don't derail the thread with this nonsense PLZZZZ  this is about Jonathan Head not Thaksin nor your obvious bias

thank you

Head's reporting of the Army takeover has been wrong headed and lacking in understanding of Thailand from the start. He continues to apply western values to a situation in which they simply don't work. Instead of explaining Thailand he has spent his efforts throwing bricks and misrepresenting what the authorities have been trying to achieve.

Sure, there are occasions where that IS a good idea.... But overall, a reporter's first responsibilty is to facts. Their second is then to context and understanding. On those scores he's a disgrace to the profession.

I'm shocked it has taken Thialand this long to do something about him.

The particular crime he's accused of is a neat fix for this situation. The issues are neatly distant from anything of consequence. Yet have the potential to do him serious damage.

I don't expect to read too many more of his reports from Thailand.

2 minutes ago, chrisyork said:

Head's reporting of the Army takeover has been wrong headed and lacking in understanding of Thailand from the start. He continues to apply western values to a situation in which they simply don't work. Instead of explaining Thailand he has spent his efforts throwing bricks and misrepresenting what the authorities have been trying to achieve.

Sure, there are occasions where that IS a good idea.... But overall, a reporter's first responsibilty is to facts. Their second is then to context and understanding. On those scores he's a disgrace to the profession.

The particular crime he's accused of is a neat fix for this situation. The issues are neatly distant from anything of consequence. Yet have the potential to do him serious damage.

Spot on!!

The full extent if what's going on and what has been going on in Phuket over the years has never been reported in the media least of all by the BBC. Lets suffice to say that the most interesting and shocking aspects of the BBC documentary ended up on the cutting room floor.

I do agree with that, Nip.

Westerners, property and Thailand have been a scandalous combination for deacades.

I'm afraid I've always taken the view that the victims tend to be the ones who've brought their assumptions, culture and wealth with them and not modified any of it in the light of the society they find themselves in.....

But I don't see any particular relevance to what is happening to JH....

I read the facts.....

But I also "get" the context.......

5 minutes ago, chrisyork said:

I do agree with that, Nip.

Westerners, property and Thailand have been a scandalous combination for deacades.

I'm afraid I've always taken the view that the victims tend to be the ones who've brought their assumptions, culture and wealth with them and not modified any of it in the light of the society they find themselves in.....

But I don't see any particular relevance to what is happening to JH....

I read the facts.....

But I also "get" the context.......

My understanding is the BBC were advised to remove the meat from the Jonathan Head story and left the veggies thinking well what can happen if the lawyer has admitted to his crime?  They were wrong of course. I know of another even more shocking story about to break that will drive nails even deeper into the system. 

Edited by Nip

1 minute ago, MorristheRunt said:

Thailand needs to be very careful, I am 100% certain the BBC has evidence about what the Thai "elite" get up to in their spare time, which if released to the masses would cause untold damage.

What a ridiculous statement!!

Just now, MorristheRunt said:

Thailand needs to be very careful, I am 100% certain the BBC has evidence about what the Thai "elite" get up to in their spare time, which if released to the masses would cause untold damage.

Indeed......

I think that's why the chosen battleground is so far away from Bangkok.....

Phuket seems to have been causing distress to the authorities (in BKK) for some time....

Perhaps this is a "two birds with one stone" exercise...??

Found this posted a year ago.

The BBC will look after it's own!
Six stories from the last few months that have painted Thailand in a poor light..
Thailand beach murders: A flawed and muddled ... - BBC
Thailand beach murders: A flawed and muddled investigation - BBC News
Thailand beach murders: A flawed and muddled investigation. By Jonathan Head BBC South East Asia correspondent. 24 December 2015. From the section UK.
Thai park exposes corruption claims and murky politics - BBC
Thai park exposes corruption claims and murky politics - BBC News
11 Dec 2015 - By Jonathan Head South East Asia correspondent ... Media captionJonathan Head reports from Bangkok: ''The lese majeste is now being ...
Sold for ransom: On the trail of Thailand's human ... - BBC
Sold for ransom: On the trail of Thailand's human traffickers - BBC News
22 May 2015 - By Jonathan Head South East Asia correspondent ... Media captionJonathan Head has been investigating Thailand's human trafficking trade ...
Bangkok bomb: Has the case been solved? - BBC News
Bangkok bomb: Has the case been solved? - BBC News
By Jonathan Head South East Asia correspondent. 5 October 2015. From the section Asia. Thai soldiers stand guard outside Erawan Shrine before a key ...
Time running out for witnesses of Indonesia's darkest ... - BBC
Time running out for witnesses of Indonesia's darkest hour - BBC News
30 Sep 2015 - By Jonathan Head South East Asia correspondent ... The three captured generals were taken to the main airbase in south Jakarta and killed, ...
Defaming a dog: The ways to get arrested for lese ... - BBC
Defaming a dog: The ways to get arrested for lese-majeste in Thailand - BBC News
16 Dec 2015 - The BBC's Jonathan Head considers the unexpected ways people have fallen ... By Jonathan Head South East Asia correspondent, BBC News.

6 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

What a ridiculous statement!!

Why ridiculous?

The action taken against Mr head is a total joke.

This administration is a joke, but a sad and serious one, it won't take a lot for the people of this nation to turn against it, and when they do the doo, doo will hit the fan.

51 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I wonder what ever happened to that Thai guy who criticized the police for setting up an illegal road block.  He put it up on social media and the police sued him for defamation!  It's just crazy when those who have broken the law can go after those who've exposed them.

It is but it's all about the way in which things are done.

The defamation laws, I suspect, were envisioned as a way to stop people making untrue comments about people, or making true ones but with malicious intent. The fact defamation is a criminal not just a civil offense adds wait to this. As does lack of presumption of innocence.

Here, there is a liking for settling things out of site, away from the public gaze and opinion, and in such a way that face isn't lost or at least seen to be lost by many. 

That in itself, whilst perhaps understandable given the penchant for keeping quiet and minding your own business here, has been twisted and used to prevent people exposing corruption, illegal acts, wrong doers etc etc.

The Computer Crime act is another law that unfortunately lends itself to similar uses that might not have been the original intention.

These laws are useful to the powerful, wealthy, hiso, elite well connected members of society as they prevent comments, or provide an effective punishment and deterrent, that they don't like or don't want public. Authorities can use them in such a way too. So there is no real desire to reform them. In fact, many politicians regularly use them. 

The defense, AFAIK, is that the defendant must show the comments were truthful and that communicating them was in the public interest. The downside is that its a lengthy process, costly and even if you win, AFAIK, there are no award of costs.  And of course the verdict can be appealed, to the court of appeal and supreme court. More expense and years and years. All of which, should as designed, make people very careful about what they say publicly.

1 minute ago, MorristheRunt said:

Why ridiculous?

The action taken against Mr head is a total joke.

This administration is a joke, but a sad and serious one, it won't take a lot for the people of this nation to turn against it, and when they do the doo, doo will hit the fan.

It's the law. It has been the law for a long time. The action taken is instigated by the plaintiff, a lawyer. 

The laws have been like this for a long time. Nothing to do with the current government or recent previous ones. 

It's not a joke. Countries have different laws, different procedures. Like it or not, they aren't funny or a joke to be on the receiving end.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

I wonder what ever happened to that Thai guy who criticized the police for setting up an illegal road block.  He put it up on social media and the police sued him for defamation!  It's just crazy when those who have broken the law can go after those who've exposed them.

What, you mean like Snowden??

The problem as I see it is the defamation and computer crime laws. 

Even if the person being defamed is guilty, obvious in this case, they will still win! Absurd! 

Also because he reported the truth he will be charged with computer crime due to the arse backwards defamation law.

The defamation law should only be applied if the defamed is innocent! Not the case here. 

JH has had a particular thing going about Lese Majeste. And about the shortcomings - as he sees it - of Thailand's approach to democracy.

He has failed to report effectively - ie in increasing the understanding of his readers - on the dynamics of how Thai society and governance has worked and evolved for generations.

He could definitely be accused of a pro Shinawatra take on everything. Whether or not readers here think that is a good or bad thing, it shouldn't be what foreign correspondent level journalism is about. The BBC, above anyone, ought to be even handedly explaining......

It would be a huge surprise to me if the authorities did NOT depreciate that.....

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

I don't think the U.K. Embassy is in the habit of issuing new passports to anyone who has had their passport seized by the authorities whilst awaiting trial. As for being "spirited out of the country", that's the realms of Ian Flemming.

Possibly so, but one rather hopes that in this case they are doing rather more than being "aware of the situation, and prepared to offer consular advice if it is required."

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

In case you missed it, Mr. Drummond fled for  the sake of the safety of his family. I recall his speaking out against several corrupt people in Pattaya, only to  be harassed, threatened  and persecuted by these people and their corrupt friends  One chap was even elected President of a local "charity" (which  isn't reputed to be too charitable).

Mr. Head has received multiple death threats and threats pf physical harm. And yet, no one really is speaking out on his behalf. What we have is groveling and enabling of his persecutors. 

It is shameful  that none of the free world's  governments and their journalist associations has been more vocal in the defense of Mr. Head.

You're quite right....and that no journalist organisation has stood up in his defense is quite alarming.....certainly the British Govt. won't want anything to do with this "hot potato" as it were.......I really think JH is alone in this!

7 minutes ago, JAG said:

Possibly so, but one rather hopes that in this case they are doing rather more than being "aware of the situation, and prepared to offer consular advice if it is required."

I doubt it. He's being sued by an individual for defamation. The Computer crime law kicks in automatically because of the way the defamation was communicated. Charges brought by police and prosecutors because of a complaint filed by a citizen.

I suspect that's how they'll look at it. That he works for the BBC is irrelevant. There is no case, AFAIK, been brought against the BBC as an organization. Embassy / consular services won't want to get involved.

If the defense can show the report was truthful and in the public interest to communicate it then he should be ok. If not he might have a problem.  It's the time, cost, inconvenience and annoyance that you never get back, especially if verdicts are appealed to the supreme court.

But who his employers are, and what his job his shouldn't come into it - in any legal system, not just Thailand. 

Edited by Baerboxer

38 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

fake news  and  the  thai govt................same  same