Many constructions are left half finished since Russians left . very sad.

swissmaninthailand

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I've been renting places I couldn't have afforded to buy

You're doing the right thing tropo. Don't fight it.If you are happy renting , it's all good.

Actually renting gives you the flexibility of changing  the neighborhood, the city and even the country in case of political instability, change of heart, change of mind etc.

During the last several years renting became more attractive and cost effective with the help of various  online marketplace and hospitality services that offer short-mid-long term leases of hotel rooms,apartments, houses and even mansions(for those who can afford) and I for one use these services every time I visit South American countries for example.

I highly recommend them.

Don't buy if you don't have to

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tropo said:

Here's another point not usually considered in the rent or buy debate...

Would you be able to afford a place that you would be very happy living in? For example, all the places I've rented so far have been worth over 6 million on the market. I wouldn't be happy living in a cheap place. I've been renting places I couldn't have afforded to buy. Even if I could afford a place I would like to live in, would I want to invest that much money in Thailand?

If I had bought a cheap place, and lived in it, my standard of living would have been lower, therefore my rent payments have not been totally wasted. Lifestyle counts for something. How much it counts depends on the individual.

I did consider buying a cheap place a few years back but decided I wouldn't be happy living in it.

Excellent. Perfectly rational view w/o resort to seer posturings and lame excuses like fears over Will probate.

I totally agree. It just depends on a lot of factors unique to the individual. We pay for happiness one way or the other and needn't have regrets about doing so, unless we've just been foolish. I can't really wear the T-shirt with the "I spent most of my money on beer & women; the rest I just wasted!"

Many of our assets are non-appreciating, like automobiles, but we just enjoy having them anyway and regard the money paid as worth it. Period. :)

Happened to ride by Terminal 21, that latest white elephant destined to join CentralFestival in inevitable bankruptcy, and saw that it's coming along nicely. Sign's up, portal being diligently worked on. Looking forward to the opening amid all the bleached & crumbling ruins of Dying Pattaya. ;) And hoping the traffic's not too bad during the week anyway.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, tropo said:

Would you be able to afford a place that you would be very happy living in? For example, all the places I've rented so far have been worth over 6 million on the market. I wouldn't be happy living in a cheap place. I've been renting places I couldn't have afforded to buy. Even if I could afford a place I would like to live in, would I want to invest that much money in Thailand?

If I had bought a cheap place, and lived in it, my standard of living would have been lower, therefore my rent payments have not been totally wasted. Lifestyle counts for something. How much it counts depends on the individual.

I did consider buying a cheap place a few years back but decided I wouldn't be happy living in it.

Yes, very very good point.  I live in The Base 20,000 b a month.  Sounds high I know but the Chinese lady who owns it wants over 5 million b to sell.  New place, nicely furnished,  high floor,  (2) 46" TV's, cable and wireless in the room, view of the bay.  I literally brought my toothbrush and some clothes. Keeping my cash working for me in other investments and just renewed for another year love it here in Central.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Excellent. Perfectly rational view w/o resort to seer posturings and lame excuses like fears over Will probate.

I totally agree. It just depends on a lot of factors unique to the individual. We pay for happiness one way or the other and needn't have regrets about doing so, unless we've just been foolish. I can't really wear the T-shirt with the "I spent most of my money on beer & women; the rest I just wasted!"

Many of our assets are non-appreciating, like automobiles, but we just enjoy having them anyway and regard the money paid as worth it. Period. :)

Happened to ride by Terminal 21, that latest white elephant destined to join CentralFestival in inevitable bankruptcy, and saw that it's coming along nicely. Sign's up, portal being diligently worked on. Looking forward to the opening amid all the bleached & crumbling ruins of Dying Pattaya. ;) And hoping the traffic's not too bad during the week anyway.

Unless you don't care about your family or significant others, I hope anyone with property or assets here has a will in their home country, and here also from a good attorney.  If not, the government here takes your assets and does what they want with them. Don't be fool about this.

21 hours ago, galt67 said:

Simple 'oversupply' is NOT the answer in Pattaya where the majority (most?) of the residential properties are owned 'mortgage/debt' free.

Really?

In Pattaya the majority of residential properties is owned by Thais, and i doubt those are mortgage free, unlike the places owned by foreigners.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Unless you don't care about your family or significant others, I hope anyone with property or assets here has a will in their home country, and here also from a good attorney.  If not, the government here takes your assets and does what they want with them. Don't be fool about this.

23 hours ago, galt67 said:

Why? will this supposed 'crash' happen...?

Simple 'oversupply' is NOT the answer in Pattaya where the majority (most?) of the residential properties are owned 'mortgage/debt' free.

Having lived in cities with (and read about) other 'property crashes' going back to the 1920s the common element is 'leverage' (mortgages/debt) which is NOT the case in Pattaya.

Bottom line: What's going to 'force' multitudes of property owners to 'suddenly' sell?

You say you have lived in cities that have experienced property crashes. Were those cities commercial  centres with a sizeable foreign working population who can afford the higher rents or were they just a holiday resort like Pattaya?if so can you actually name them?

And when you ask “What's going to 'force' multitudes of property owners to 'suddenly' sell? “

Here is one example of that scenario in a city which has considerably better rental demographics than Pattaya from young working foreigners

A condo oversupply red flag for investors exists when unit sales prices are growing faster than the money flows and returns on investment that underpin those units’ values. This uncertainty around secondary markets for the large new supply of condos set for release is worrying some investors.

Many condo developments are offering a guaranteed rental return for a period of time. The lower end of these returns represents 6-7% per year, and some are as high as 20%. These returns are generally guaranteed for 3 years by the developer – meaning, regardless of whether or not the property is rented, the developer is obliged to pay the returns to the buyer.

When the guaranteed rental yields for the incoming glut of condos expire, owners might decide to sell, having found that tenants are in-fact unavailable given the huge supply at the time available in the market. This lack of rental income could lead to buyers forfeiting mortgage repayments with no option but to sell the units.

The concern is that if too many of these guaranteed rental periods expire in the same period of time, as they appear ( given that the majority of units will be released into the market between 2018-2020 ), this could result in a fall in condo prices as the market is flooded with resales.  

http://realestate.com.kh/news/condo-oversupply-concerns-what-investors-need-to-know/

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I think it likely that Thailand has laws of inheritance that will apply in absence of a will, so that in fact the gov't doesn't seize assets from the next of kin. (Feel free to cite examples to the contrary.) Most Thais, far as I know, don't have wills partly because they have no such fear. But then the family members all get to squabble over the assets. :)

Edited by JSixpack

11 hours ago, tropo said:

also, the whole property investment angle is based a lot on getting loans which enable you to keep other money invested.

without the loan you are just robbing peter to pay paul. coming out even at best.

i dont think foreigners can get home loans for overseas property, or at least it would be limited to the very wealthy.

i dont require anything over 20k baht a month anywhere in thailand. is having to stay in the same unit for years worth 20k? not for me

is remting it out an option? not for me in thailand due to lack of rights and erratic renters market.

Edited by JimCrane
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2017 at 9:51 AM, bkk6060 said:

Buying here can make some sense I guess if you are younger.  I don't understand the 65 year olds buying. I know several recently who have. They say, "I have something to leave to my family".  Really?  So, your daughters who have never been here want to inherit a condo in Pattaya?

Financially, it makes much more sense to invest that money and rent.  I bet they would rather have the liquid assets, not a condo in Pattaya. 

I think the plan would be to sell the property after death and give the proceeds to the children.

Anyway, children should have no expectation that parents will leave them anything.

On 4/21/2017 at 5:03 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I haven't met one guy over 80 yet. When the discussion comes up most expats say they plan to go back to their home country when they get to a certain age, mainly for healthcare reasons.

Over 70, so I understand, Thai insurance is either unaffordable or unobtainable. Fine if prepared to die from a simple illness, or suffer from injury, but not if not.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think the plan would be to sell the property after death and give the proceeds to the children.

Anyway, children should have no expectation that parents will leave them anything.

??  Yeah sure sell it.  But you are 6 feet under I hope some arrangements are made on who is going to sell it and transferring the proceeds.

Most people here do not even think about this.  In fact, many in their home countries do not even have wills or trusts.

If one wants the Thai government to take over and have control, that's a shame really but up to you.

On 4/23/2017 at 7:00 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Crashes do happen, remember in 1997 baht went from 37 to 90 to the pound.

My feeling about property in Pattaya is its on the way down if people want to sell. If you want to sit on it for years don't drop the price. I doubt people are buying for an investment anymore

It actually went over 100 baht to the pound at one point. Unfortunately I had already bought baht with my spare cash at the start of the baht fall, so missed out. I just didn't think it would fall so low. Had I waited I could have bought several condos by now :sad:.

On 4/23/2017 at 7:53 PM, JSixpack said:

Or there might not be a sudden uptick in values, if that is someone's definition of boom. Instead prices might increase slowly over a long period of time so that the benefit owning any asset under those conditions would be unquantifiable as there would be no way of knowing where is the top.

My own opposition to buying Thai property has never been related to financial trends. My reason to never buy property is the "karaoke" factor, when one is faced with an all night Karaoke place starting up next door, or any of a hundred scenarios that make continued occupancy impossible, but because of that scenario one can't sell the place.

With renting one can move if necessary, without losing a large sum of money. TiT.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2017 at 1:33 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

If you want to live here long term and have a family here (I do) I see no other option than buying.

We bought our current house in 2009 for just under 8mill and have perhaps spend another 1 mill on it (incl some furniture) and are pretty good set now.

I read in another topic about one that was so careful/scared living in Thailand that he had a suitcase packed and ready to head to the airport with 1 hour notice and fly out, never to come back. Almost living like a criminal, always looking over your shoulder. 

I don't want to live like that, I been here permanently since 2004 and this is my home now and I live accordingly.  

That being said, my pension fond(s) sits outside Thailand, still growing (I am still working) and I could theoretically also leave quickly if I had to and survive. 

If you read Tropo's post; he wrote that he spend +3mill on rent in 11 years, okay giving him a roof over his head but not much else.

I would say it's okay to spend app 25% of your amassed fortune to buy a place here if you plan to stay longer than 10 years here but you have to plan extremely careful before buying anything and ask yourself some questions first: Is this area of my choice a nice place also in 10 years time?  Can I rent my place out if I can't sell it? Can I survive if I loose my place in case of natural disasters/war?   

Don't buy a house here unless you got kids or have a wife you really really love, a 30 year lease is; well a lease (long term rent in other words). My wife & son will get my place when I go 6 feet under, I am very likely the first of the 3 of us to check out permanently(well I sure as hell hope so), he-he.

My 2 cents.   

Is this area of my choice a nice place also in 10 years time? 

IMO that should be shortened to "tomorrow". Many hard luck stories been around about people had karaokes start up next door, wives kicking the husband out ( I know all about that one ), etc etc.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tropo said:

Fair points.

If I didn't have a family here but lived alone, I doubt I would had bought anything and certainly not a house but something I can just lock-up and leave for 2 month when I go working. Now with my family living in our current house for quite some years, we have bought so much stuff over the years that it would be a nightmare to move to another place. 1 big advantage; the house is paid for, nobody will raise the rent or tell us to leave, comforting when I am gone app 6 month per year for overseas work. 

Yes it all depends on the person what suits one best.

If one is buying a house/condo; the trick is to get something unique that many wants, should be easy to sell at a good price but not easy to find, if even possible. Those below 30M2 condo's are certainly nothing to write home about, hell "my office" next to the living room in the house is over 16M2 and I am overlooking parts of the garden, very green, nice.

JSixpack: you never said if you are renting or owning? Well none of my business anyway if you want to keep that private.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, JimCrane said:

also, the whole property investment angle is based a lot on getting loans which enable you to keep other money invested.

I think most owners aren't primarily real estate investors or primarily concerned with the investment angle, though it's of course considered. A true real estate investor knows the business and is able to get loans one way or the other.

Nor does a loan necessarily guarantee bliss. In fact the value of your property may go down so that you owe far more than the property's worth. Seen that happen and it wasn't pretty. :shock1: Or your other investments go sour and that house/condo is all that's keeping you & the family off the street. Much has to do with time frames and where the clock is at the moment.

Moreover, as has been stated, you keep the Thai real estate purchase down to some modest percentage of your assets. Most of our renters are so virulent in their FOOLS BUY REAL ESTATE threads because they know they can't afford to get in without excessive risk even if it were possible. Hence the  bewilderment, foreboding, sour grapes, and scaremongering to make virtue of necessity. 

So again it just all depends. We're desperate to find and cling to simple little rules here but there aren't any. BTW, a Thai broker will let you buy shares on margin. :smile:

is remting it out an option? not for me in thailand due to lack of rights and erratic renters market.

Thank you for sharing; we'll keep that mind. Next.

Edited by JSixpack

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Over 70, so I understand, Thai insurance is either unaffordable or unobtainable. Fine if prepared to die from a simple illness, or suffer from injury, but not if not.

Fine if you've worked in a Thai company and have Thai social insurance. Fine if you have the money to self-insure, as many do. Not fine if you're an impecunious old pensioner renting in a flophouse on Soi Buakhao, perhaps one who had his UK pension frozen years ago.:smile:

Edited by JSixpack

10 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Nothing "fallacy" about wives kicking husbands out, etc, and there was that long thread about a Phuket guy that was taken by the lawyer, and thought he could use the "law" to regain his property.

The only way to be 100% certain a Thai wife will not one day decide to take the husband's money, property etc is never to get married, and if determined to marry, to not "invest" more than one can walk away from.

As for karaokes, we had one over the swamp that went on and on and on. Luckily the bedroom was on the other side of the house.

• Like 2

My own opposition to buying Thai property has never been related to financial trends. My reason to never buy property is the "karaoke" factor, when one is faced with an all night Karaoke place starting up next door, or any of a hundred scenarios that make continued occupancy impossible, but because of that scenario one can't sell the place.

With renting one can move if necessary, without losing a large sum of money. TiT.

Great post I know many guys that are stuck and hate it.  Another is after they move into their lovely condo and soon a 2 to 3 years construction project starts next door.  Pratumnak and Wongamat are famous for this scenario. Cannot sell, cannot move, cannot even rent it.  Sad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Fair points.

If I didn't have a family here but lived alone, I doubt I would had bought anything and certainly not a house but something I can just lock-up and leave for 2 month when I go working. Now with my family living in our current house for quite some years, we have bought so much stuff over the years that it would be a nightmare to move to another place. 1 big advantage; the house is paid for, nobody will raise the rent or tell us to leave, comforting when I am gone app 6 month per year for overseas work. 

Yes it all depends on the person what suits one best.

If one is buying a house/condo; the trick is to get something unique that many wants, should be easy to sell at a good price but not easy to find, if even possible. Those below 30M2 condo's are certainly nothing to write home about, hell "my office" next to the living room in the house is over 16M2 and I am overlooking parts of the garden, very green, nice.

JSixpack: you never said if you are renting or owning? Well none of my business anyway if you want to keep that private.

Another rational post! :) My experience with ownership has been positive. I rented a couple of years in my building before I bought. Got all my stuff here, got it fixed up as I like it. Very quiet & safe w/ double-glazed balcony windows & airtight bombproof security door (highly recommend http://www.scorpiondoors.com/). And, contrary our Glutters' predictions, my place has doubled in value since I bought it; I've even have had an unsolicited offer to sell. But I bought to live in long-term, not as an investment, and have no desire to move or leave our beloved cesspool. Ownership is never perfect but guess I'm man enough to deal with problems and overcome or work around them.

I don't talk up real estate here but would be in fact be glad of a CONDO CRASH as I'd buy another unit or two. My issue w/ the Glutters & doomsters is simply all the hot air, fallacious and tendentious arguments, silliness, ignorance, BS, and rationalizations. Makes for much amusement. Remember, it was I who codified the shrewd, street-smart TVF Poster Three Primal Laws Of Survival In Thailand. :)

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nothing "fallacy" about wives kicking husbands out, etc, and there was that long thread about a Phuket guy that was taken by the lawyer, and thought he could use the "law" to regain his property.

The only way to be 100% certain a Thai wife will not one day decide to take the husband's money, property etc is never to get married, and if determined to marry, to not "invest" more than one can walk away from.

As for karaokes, we had one over the swamp that went on and on and on. Luckily the bedroom was on the other side of the house.

You've merely been unable to understand what the fallacy is. :) I should have known better.

OK, so you got kicked out, which we probably could have seen coming; and you've cited a Phuket guy and a karaoke.

Piling up anecdotes doesn't help your case, though you and the peanut gallery believe it does, and is just part of the whinging and bashing typical of any CONDO GLUT and FOOLS BUY REAL ESTATE threads we've enjoyed for more than a decade, while the market has been busy expanding. ;)

Shit happens, true. Yet I feel sorry for our forum Chicken Littles. Don't dare buy a condo--maybe can't profit from it. Karaoke next door! Can't drive a car or ride a bike--accidents. Can't invest in shares--shares prices might fall or a company fail. Can't put their money in a bank--bank might steal their funds. Can't use a credit card--might get cloned. Can't ride in a plane--planes crash. Can't have sex--might get AIDS. Can't even be comfortable renting--building might burn down.

What you need are the stats. Real numbers breaking down all the percentages. Problem is, out of the many thousands of owners in PTY, we find very few coming here w/ a complaint. It's the renters who are doing the complaining about ownership. ;) So, and considering the growth and the sales, if you found any real stats, you'd merely find that most owners are happy enough.

No one cares if you're happy staying in a flophouse over a restaurant in the quiet, peaceful Soi Buakhao and dispense financial wisdom therefrom. However, it might burn down, you know. When I first came to Pattaya I lived in such places and worse as I got my bearings. Even learned a lot living in Thai-only buildings w/ lots of bargirls. But knowing both lifestyles, I much prefer the one I have now, thank you, as I'm sure most owners will prefer theirs. Cheers! :smile:

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What's wrong with being an old pensioner living in a cheap room on Soi Buakhao?

I know a very nice place on Soi B. that rents for 5,000 a month, and is over the best restaurant on Soi B. Not everyone needs a palace to live in.

Nice place for 5,000 Baht a month, are you joking. I could never see the point of living in Thailand in a shoe box apartment, feeling I have to get out everyday.

Everyone is different, many people buy a house or a condo to make it their home, there are several posters who live in 20m Baht and upwards, houses, better than paying 100 to 120,000 Baht a month rent, especially if you are going to be here a long time.

The majority of the rent don't buy brigade live in small units, not many would be paying over 50,000 a month rent.

• Like 2

"  that long thread about a Phuket guy that was taken by the lawyer, and thought he could use the "law" to regain his property."

and it doesn't even end there(and in fact there are two different foreigners with their own different stories) because they are effectively prisoners in Thailand with their passports having been taken from them just for trying to fight fraud and to get their properties back!

Any potential investor in property in Thailand should read the following full transcript of a documentary the BBC prepared where they interviewed these guys.if this doesn't put you off nothing will.

I asked him what he would say to those considering retiring and buying property in Phuket.

"Don't. Don't come here. The system of law is nowhere near as strong as you think it is going to be, there is no protection for you, and there are gangs of people victimising you. The lawyers have very little in the way of ethics or professionalism."

Edited by Rimmer
Link to another forum removed

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Another rational post! :) My experience with ownership has been positive. I rented a couple of years in my building before I bought. Got all my stuff here, got it fixed up as I like it. Very quiet & safe w/ double-glazed balcony windows & airtight bombproof security door (highly recommend http://www.scorpiondoors.com/). And, contrary our Glutters' predictions, my place has doubled in value since I bought it; I've even have had an unsolicited offer to sell. But I bought to live in long-term, not as an investment, and have no desire to move or leave our beloved cesspool. Ownership is never perfect but guess I'm man enough to deal with problems and overcome or work around them.

I don't talk up real estate here but would be in fact be glad of a CONDO CRASH as I'd buy another unit or two. My issue w/ the Glutters & doomsters is simply all the hot air, fallacious and tendentious arguments, silliness, ignorance, BS, and rationalizations. Makes for much amusement. Remember, it was I who codified the shrewd, street-smart TVF Poster Three Primal Laws Of Survival In Thailand. :)

" would be in fact be glad of a CONDO CRASH as I'd buy another unit or two "

maybe you will get your wish sooner than you think:giggle:

• Like 1