Lunch Buffet - Bangkok

strikingsunset

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite lunch buffet in Bangkok is at the Holiday Inn at the Chit Lom BTS station. Nice layout with ample room. Food is well presented and has everything you need. Cost is just under 400 baht I believe. Best to make a reservation, but I never do and always get seated. Good deal. Much better than the Ibis on soi 4. The Grand Majestic on soi 2 is also nice but too small. Which means that without a reservation you will be seated outside, and you don't want that as it is way too hot. Bon appetite. 

Don't expect much for 400 baht per head it will be around 3 star hotels but still a very good deal - you will find a basic selection of Thai food, western food such as beef, fish, chicken, pasta. Salad bar and dessert. Drinks are normally not included, so be sure to add extra 100-200 baht per head.

If you are looking to spend over 1500 per head then it will place you in 4-5 star hotel range, there will be better ingredients such as seafood - large shrimps, mussels, lobsters, crab, sushi / sashimi. Roast beef / grill salmon / steak / lamb chop.

Check hotel websites for promotion, many will regularly have 50% off if you go in on weekdays.

5 hours ago, likeke said:

My favorite lunch buffet in Bangkok is at the Holiday Inn at the Chit Lom BTS station. Nice layout with ample room. Food is well presented and has everything you need. Cost is just under 400 baht I believe. Best to make a reservation, but I never do and always get seated. Good deal. Much better than the Ibis on soi 4. The Grand Majestic on soi 2 is also nice but too small. Which means that without a reservation you will be seated outside, and you don't want that as it is way too hot. Bon appetite. 

Holiday Inn right next to Chidlom BTS is indeed very nice for the price, and they do both lunch and dinner buffets, not much difference between the two, though the dinner price is a bit higher. Just be aware, while the food is good and the selections plentiful, there's not much western food on offer there except for a pasta counter. It's mostly Thai dishes, curries, roast chicken or ham, Thai salads, some Chinese stuff like noodles, and then very nice fruit and desert sections.

So, if the family is looking for mashed or baked potatoes, steak or hamburgers, ribs, lasagna, pizza, etc., Holiday Inn's buffet is not the place for that.

Ibis is nice for a very bargain place. Food is OK, but much smaller selection and plainer surroundings. Mostly Thai and sometimes Indian entrees.

The Grand Majestic probably has a better selection of western items to go along with their Thai and Indian choices, including a basic Japanese and sushi section, nice fresh seafood choices, and usually some western/European hot entrees. But as noted, the room is relatively small, so a reservation is usually a good idea. I think the food there is better overall than the Holiday Inn, but I like both for different reasons.

If you want to spend a bit more, the Landmark Hotel near Nana BTS usually has some number of different come with 4 people, and pay for 2, deals, including their Sunday Roast buffet (which I think is also offered Sat. evenings now) offering in the Huntsman Pub in the basement. And that's where you'll get your fill of pork loin, beef, chicken, western side dishes, gravies, etc.

Another thing you can consider is to download the Eatigo app on your smartphone, which is a discounted online restaurant reservation service, that offers up to 50% off regular prices. And then check the various hotel buffets that may be located near where you're planning to stay. The app makes it pretty easy to search by restaurant or hotel name, food type, location, etc. And if you're willing to go a specified times, there are some very good deals to be had. And most of the major hotels and their buffets seem to be represented there.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Could I hijack this topic and ask about the best buffet dinner in Bangkok for around 6pm?

I really like the Pullman King Power buffet for around 1,000 baht a person.

This includes seafood, some foreign cheeses, and all the usual stuff (sushi, warm food stations, desserts).

4 hours ago, mike324 said:

Check hotel websites for promotion, many will regularly have 50% off if you go in on weekdays.

My experience is that 99% of the hotel websites are never updated and rarely show the buffet options.

Huge waste as that would be the first place to look...

5 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

My experience is that 99% of the hotel websites are never updated and rarely show the buffet options.

Huge waste as that would be the first place to look...

True, websites don't show much. Most update on their facebook pages nowadays. I guess best to search facebook page or call in.

Example

https://www.facebook.com/Holidayinnbangkoksukhumvit/

18 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

I really like the Pullman King Power buffet for around 1,000 baht a person.

This includes seafood, some foreign cheeses, and all the usual stuff (sushi, warm food stations, desserts).

There is no way I would pay 1000 Bt to feed one person even if I was a millionaire. What is the profit margin in that?

The human stomach can only take so much.

There is no way I would pay 1000 Bt to feed one person even if I was a millionaire. What is the profit margin in that?

The human stomach can only take so much.

Only 25 euros for a 10 course dinner?

Try that in North America or Europe.

My preferred Bangkok buffet remains the Suvarnabhumi Novotel buffet starting at 18h, approx 1k baht op.

Last time i had the best Tom Kha Kai ever there, plus lots of smoked salmon, shrimp, crab, mussels, sushi and sashimi, plenty of small appetizers, I'll pass the choices of main dishes to mention the breads, cheeses and delicious deserts. Isn't it a shame to be the first at the place to cut out a piece of cake from one of the many delicious looking bakeries?

Not bad at all the King Power buffet though.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

18 minutes ago, tartempion said:

Only 25 euros for a 10 course dinner?

Try that in North America or Europe.

My preferred Bangkok buffet remains the Suvarnabhumi Novotel buffet starting at 18h, approx 1k baht op.

Last time i had the best Tom Kha Kai ever there, plus lots of smoked salmon, shrimp, crab, mussels, sushi and sashimi, plenty of small appetizers, I'll pass the choices of main dishes to mention the breads, cheeses and delicious deserts. Isn't it a shame to be the first at the place to cut out a piece of cake from one of the many delicious looking bakeries?

Not bad at all the King Power buffet though.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I can only eat western food, most of that stuff you mention, I would not eat it for free. I am happy with one of the 250Bt buffets you get in Pattaya, one at the Lek hotel and another one further down Second Road on the opposite side. I was hoping there might be something similar in Bangkok.

Best Beef outdoor restaurant on Sukhumvit Road between On Nut and Phrakanong BTS stations. About 250 baht per person.

All you can eat, cook at your table buffet on charcoal grill plates -- sliced beef various cuts, sliced pork various cuts, chicken strips, some seafood such as shrimps and calamari, side dishes like fried rice or french fries, your choice of raw veggies to cook such as onions, corn, cabbage, mushrooms, etc.

31 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I can only eat western food, most of that stuff you mention, I would not eat it for free. I am happy with one of the 250Bt buffets you get in Pattaya, one at the Lek hotel and another one further down Second Road on the opposite side. I was hoping there might be something similar in Bangkok.

The other place you are referring to is in the Apex Hotel.     You should try Anton's in Naklua.     It's a Grerman buffet, not hardly gourmet, but pretty good for B250.     Naklua  Road Soi 27.      It's about a half km in soi 27.

37 minutes ago, Spaniel said:

The other place you are referring to is in the Apex Hotel.     You should try Anton's in Naklua.     It's a Grerman buffet, not hardly gourmet, but pretty good for B250.     Naklua  Road Soi 27.      It's about a half km in soi 27.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind the next time I am in Pattaya.

A relevant point would be where are the inlaws from? 

If it's Issan then they will turn their nose up at anything not from that region. 

Seen it many times around the city over the years, trout faced parents looking at Western food as if it was dog shit, then hoofing all manner of unmentionable things into their face hole and eating  it open mouthed with the maximum amount of noise.

Finish off that image with them spitting chicken toe bones out onto the table, plate or a spoon.

Nice...  

23 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The Grand Majestic probably has a better selection of western items to go along with their Thai and Indian choices, including a basic Japanese and sushi section, nice fresh seafood choices, and usually some western/European hot entrees. But as noted, the room is relatively small, so a reservation is usually a good idea. I think the food there is better overall than the Holiday Inn, but I like both for different reasons.

Tall Guy,

Is the Majestic lunch buffet still in the dining room located somewhere on one of the upper floors?  I remember it as being a very good buffet for the price (as long as you didn't want coffee) but hard to find. Last time I went it was B399/pp, is that still the price?

23 minutes ago, dddave said:

Tall Guy,

Is the Majestic lunch buffet still in the dining room located somewhere on one of the upper floors?  I remember it as being a very good buffet for the price (as long as you didn't want coffee) but hard to find. Last time I went it was B399/pp, is that still the price?

I haven't been there for some months. But yes, it's up on the 7th floor or so adjoining the hotel's rooftop swimming pool. You can sit inside in air con, or outside near the small pool. If memory serves, it's called Dine@7.

http://www.majesticgrande.com/dine-at-7.html

On 28/02/2017 at 8:07 PM, possum1931 said:

For something nicer than LEK or APEX, try the THAI GARDEN RESORT's nightly 399THB buffet at Pattaya Nuea Road.

They have a different theme every night so it never gets boring. Great value for money, and the environment is a lot more pleasant than at LEK/Apex

Monday - Italian

Tuesday - BBQ

Wednesday - Multi-Cuisine (???)

Thursday - German with roast pig

Friday - Thai

Saturday - International

Sunday - Steaks and skewers

keep in mind that a Filipino Live-Band will "entertain" you during your feasting, so if that's not your kind of thing, choose a table far away from those "artists"

On 28/02/2017 at 1:53 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Holiday Inn right next to Chidlom BTS is indeed very nice for the price, and they do both lunch and dinner buffets, not much difference between the two, though the dinner price is a bit higher. Just be aware, while the food is good and the selections plentiful, there's not much western food on offer there except for a pasta counter. It's mostly Thai dishes, curries, roast chicken or ham, Thai salads, some Chinese stuff like noodles, and then very nice fruit and desert sections.

So, if the family is looking for mashed or baked potatoes, steak or hamburgers, ribs, lasagna, pizza, etc., Holiday Inn's buffet is not the place for that.

Ibis is nice for a very bargain place. Food is OK, but much smaller selection and plainer surroundings. Mostly Thai and sometimes Indian entrees.

Been to the Grand Majestic many times, but sadly it has gone downhill a tad. Still good value for money, but less choices than before, the Pasta station has vanished, and more Asian food and less Western options nowadays. Though it is still very popular, and a lot more locals go there now than 6 or 7 years ago. Reservation indeed needed. plain Water is free, as is coffee (brewed to order) and tea - but they don't tell you that. For 399 still worth a try.

Same price at S31-Hotel at Sukhumvit 31 (sic!), the dining room has a bit of a canteen atmosphere, but the food is good albeit mostly Asian. very popular with locals too. Apart from water and coffee/tea, there are some other complimentary drink options in large dispensers (like a cold Chrysanthemum drink, for example). Last time I was there was in 2015 so not sure if it has changed

25 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

For something nicer than LEK or APEX, try the THAI GARDEN RESORT's nightly 399THB buffet at Pattaya Nuea Road.

They have a different theme every night so it never gets boring. Great value for money, and the environment is a lot more pleasant than at LEK/Apex

Monday - Italian

Tuesday - BBQ

Wednesday - Multi-Cuisine (???)

Thursday - German with roast pig

Friday - Thai

Saturday - International

Sunday - Steaks and skewers

keep in mind that a Filipino Live-Band will "entertain" you during your feasting, so if that's not your kind of thing, choose a table far away from those "artists"

Thanks, I will keep that in mind, the Tues BBQ seems interesting.

1 hour ago, siam2007 said:

Same price at S31-Hotel at Sukhumvit 31 (sic!), the dining room has a bit of a canteen atmosphere, but the food is good albeit mostly Asian. very popular with locals too. Apart from water and coffee/tea, there are some other complimentary drink options in large dispensers (like a cold Chrysanthemum drink, for example). Last time I was there was in 2015 so not sure if it has changed

Yes, I've been to the S31 Hotel lunch buffet more recently, and it also is quite nice IMHO. Kind of similar to the Holiday Inn Chidlom one overall, maybe a bit nicer, fancier food choices. I'm not sure about their current pricing, though, as it's seemed to bounce around.  They seem to do a lot of group tour business there, for some reason.

Last time I was there, they had a very nice salads and cold cuts section, a basic Japanese pre-made sushi and related stuff section, usually some selection of western entrees, a nice assortment of cakes and other deserts, etc etc.

We enjoy sampling the different and varied buffets in Bangkok. There is every option available from 399 baht to 1,500 baht plus.
The most enjoyable buffets in no particular order are as follows:

Mandarin Oriental
Anatara Riverside Siam (opposite RBSC)
So Sofitel Sathorn.

There are many offers available depending on time, day of the week and which particular credit card you pay with.

All the above three offer fine seafood, salads, Thai dishes, roasts including wonderful hams.