Thread Killers

F4UCorsair

Most of us come to Thai Visa seeking information, sharing experiences, offering opinions, and most of it is good natured, even sharing a bit of light hearted banter on issues of the day.  Sometimes it gets a little robust, but mostly doesn’t cross a line where it becomes offensive or lacking respect.

There are, however, a few who come here for no reason other than to score points against other members, browbeat others for holding a different position using sarcasm and thinly veiled abuse, displaying massive disrespect, egos, ignorance and aggression................they are the ‘Thread Killers”.

We notice that when they attach themselves to a thread, they are unrelenting, swamp the thread with posts, they know everything, from world politics to business plans, and everything in between, and those holding a differing point of view, know nothing (how could any be so rude a to differ??), and within a short time, those on the receiving end lose interest and the thread withers.  There is no position but their position/s.  They frequently make verbose posts, lifted from Wikipedia and other internet sources, without acknowledgement, attempt to be humorous at the expense of others, and generally behave anti socially.  They demand links to support another poster's position, but offer none supporting theirs. People can have a view without it being supported by an online source.

That a thread comes to an end is a normal course, but the Thread Killers expedite the process because those contributing tire of being told they are wrong, even if they’re not, being browbeaten over their held position, and just drift off looking for less aggression.

The Thread Killers make the thread a verbal fight to the death, adopting a wolf pack mentality, and soon there is nobody left on the thread but the couple of Thread Killers, who are in total agreement, so there can be no further discussion.  There aren't many, but there doesn't need to be because even a couple can make coming here an unpleasant experience

Surely we should all be able to come here, voice an opinion, without others ridiculing it, and causing the recipients to not bother signing in to TV?   By all means, differ, because a cross section of views is good for all, but without the disrespect, sarcasm, ignorance, and arrogance, and to those who know everything and are ALWAYS right, realize that you will sometimes be wrong, and be prepared to accept that.

I’ve noticed a few long time members no longer posting, and I’m sure the Thread Killers are the reason, as it will continue to be.

Edited by F4UCorsair

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My visiting and posting has reduced significantly due to what you pointed out above F4UCorsair (I know a few others as well as we have talked). I enjoy threads with some adult like discussion and opinions. In fact I like reading others points of view(Even if in total disagreement with mine), However the 6 to 10 that come on and do nothing but become combative and attack people ruin what could be possibly a good discussion. Most threads valuable content is done by the end of page 2.

I am surprised that the Mods do not take a more aggressive stance as they see who they are and they bounce around in any thread derailing it. I was a mod on a forum before back in the states and once I identified posters that behaved poorly they were banned. One PM warning, next round OUT. TV seems to have a high tolerance for poor poster behavior. The best action is ignore the Thread killers type as hard as it may be. I just consider the source.

Edited by JAFO

19 minutes ago, JAFO said:

My visiting and posting has reduced significantly due to what you pointed out above F4UCorsair (I know a few others as well as we have talked). I enjoy threads with some adult like discussion and opinions. In fact I like reading others points of view(Even if in total disagreement with mine), However the 6 to 10 that come on and do nothing but become combative and attack people ruin what could be possibly a good discussion. Most threads valuable content is done by the end of page 2.

I am surprised that the Mods do not take a more aggressive stance as they see who they are and they bounce around in any thread derailing it. I was a mod on a forum before back in the states and once I identified posters that behaved poorly they were banned. One PM warning, next round OUT. TV seems to have a high tolerance for poor poster behavior. The best action is ignore the Thread killers type as hard as it may be. I just consider the source.

You can also block posters yourself if you like you will never see them again. (somewhere in settings)

Personally I like a heated debate (but only in certain threads), but without the posters your mentioning (i might be classified as one) there will be far fewer posts and without those posts the content is boring too. Vibrant long threads are often caused by controversial topics without opposing points of view there is little to discuss.

As for asking for proof of a statement, I don't find that strange if its about hard numbers or facts. How can you have a discussion about facts if one person pulls numbers out of their head and says their true without any supporting evidence, while an other poster takes the time to find the right numbers. 

Yes, I would tend to agree. I think its that blurred line between facts and opinion, or when one becomes the other, that creates a lot of the conflict.

To a certain extent, we are all journalists in this information age. Everyone has the ability to send information, via forums, social media etc, to thousands of people with a couple of key strokes. 

In saying that, we all have a responsibility to fact check, check sources, state something as opinion and most importantly be polite, ethical, non judgmental, not prejudiced etc. Most importantly, realize others have different opinions and are entitled to them.

One of the best statements one can use on Thaivisa is IMO (in my opinion).

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

You can also block posters yourself if you like you will never see them again. (somewhere in settings)

Personally I like a heated debate (but only in certain threads), but without the posters your mentioning (i might be classified as one) there will be far fewer posts and without those posts the content is boring too. Vibrant long threads are often caused by controversial topics without opposing points of view there is little to discuss.

As for asking for proof of a statement, I don't find that strange if its about hard numbers or facts. How can you have a discussion about facts if one person pulls numbers out of their head and says their true without any supporting evidence, while an other poster takes the time to find the right numbers. 

I fully agree with you. I enjoy heated controversial charged discussion's,  that not's the issue I think the OP was getting at. There are posters that go out of there way to derail threads and make personal attacks on others because they cannot manage an adult conversation where opinions differ. 

FWIIW, I do not have any one on ignore and will not. I have personal self control not to engage with them when those certain posters behave poorly. Ignoring them does not address the underlying issue.

24 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, I would tend to agree. I think its that blurred line between facts and opinion, or when one becomes the other, that creates a lot of the conflict.

To a certain extent, we are all journalists in this information age. Everyone has the ability to send information, via forums, social media etc, to thousands of people with a couple of key strokes. 

In saying that, we all have a responsibility to fact check, check sources, state something as opinion and most importantly be polite, ethical, non judgmental, not prejudiced etc. Most importantly, realize others have different opinions and are entitled to them.

One of the best statements one can use on Thaivisa is IMO (in my opinion).

Facts can be twisted, and we all got different points of view of how things have to be interpreted. We can read the same stuff and have a difference of opinion on what it means. You can interpret something the way you want and someone else can do differently. Only when we are talking real raw facts (like a car can go a certain speed)  can there be agreement. 

I have given up on people agreeing to how I see things and and disagree how others see their stuff. It all depends on your point of view and your background. I just accept it.. and of course at times have a lot of sport of debating it. But you can't convince people to change their mind its almost impossible.

So I think i'm agreeing with you that we just have to accept that other people can see things differently and as long as we don't bash someone's brain in for their other opinion then its ok. A heated discussion is always better than violence, i would never ever turn violent. Unfortunately (not talking about people on this forum) there are quite a few people who turn violent for real when someone does not share their opinion.

The OP obviously hasn't been to many other forums who are laden with abuse

and expletives galore without one iota of respect to anyone,

TV forums are by that measures,  demur and well behaved as a church mouse

and if every now and that we get the odd hot heads and the  unruly, it's only

add spice to bantering, otherwise, TV will be one dull forum.... 

11 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Forums are forums. There will always be the few that stir it up out of boredom, anger or just for the wind up. That's where the self control comes in. I really enjoy many posters on this site even a few pointed brash ones, like I do on a few motorcycle and drone sites I visit. But there are always the few. Every site has them. Sure they increase volume but they are counterproductive, usually post off topic then get quickly riled up when someone calls them to the mat on their stupidity or nonsense. 

Regardless You better have a thick skin joining most sites or you will likely lose it. TV is easy reading compared to some Drag Racing forums I used to visit....Man they can get downright nasty but I enjoy reading them. However there was zero tolerance for violence, violent threats or any post towards family or friends. Those posters were banned immediately as they pose a risk. You have to keep your composer.

38 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I've been a contributor to several forums, and aware of the rules.  The rules are what keep it civilized, the way it should be.

If you are in any doubt about what's permitted and what's not, check the Thai Visa Forum rules.

I agree that some forums do get a bit robust at times, but perhaps their rules aren't as well defined at those on TV?

I find the condescending, patronizing, know it all, ignorant, arrogant, sarcastic posters, and the way they swamp a thread, more of an issue.

My position is that I see no reason for disrespect or a lack of civility when posting.  

Edited by F4UCorsair

Because of the people that the OP is taking about, TV was very close to being shut down at one time a long time ago.  In fact, a warning about it was posted many years ago by George just about the time a certain Bangkok News Source (not to mention names) picked up TV in their Forum column.  Things were fairly calm for awhile. But as the OP pointed out there are still several who still need to proclaim their expertise on every subject posted especially when we do have a few resident subject experts on this board.  I just love it when some one tells Ubon Jo he's wrong when it comes to Immigration issues.   Then they will add their snide remarks throwing out what they think is humor as insults.  Add to it those who don;t even live here throwing out their Thai bashing comments. Just enough to get by the Mods. 

Speaking of mods, I once considered it. Don't have the time.  In my opinion, all Mod's need to be totally impartial no matter which Forum they moderate and how strongly they feel about any subject personally.  Hard to do isn't it?  This goes for any group board not just here.

At one time we had a fare cross section of Thais that posted here.  Notice that they have left too? The board is very useful for conversation and exchanging information that may be useful to both long time residents and newcomers.  Didn't we open up a special Forum just for the common banter and insults?  If so that's were the snide remarks need to go would you agree?  JMHO which means nothing.

8 minutes ago, Mrjlh said:

At one time we had a fare cross section of Thais that posted here.  Notice that they have left too?

I think the Thais with poor English skills left and no wonder with the "gramma police" jumping on any small mistakes.

To many Members think they own the site and internet,  Every body may have diffrent views and opinions. But some of the Comments are just down right rude, Some members spend all day cutting and pasting things to prove their point,  I for one  are Dyslexic, and have been pilled for spelling mistakes, also English is not some people first language, So good on them for trying to put there point of view across, 

It takes 2 secs. to start reading a post and decide if it's worth continuing.  If not, move on to the next one, rinse and repeat. So, I would much rather err on the side of freedom than censorship.

Lighthearted and even off-topic contributions can spice up a thread  making it more fun to rappel down. A post by post learned discussion is  all good but sometimes after a hard day's work we crave a wee bit more spirit. And as I said it takes not more than a moment to sidestep the stupid and mean-spirited.

And at the end of the day we are all anonymous so who gives a rat's ass what anyone says of someone.

All jokes aside IMO....When some threads had some humour in them, which was allowed back then....More people got interested and followed longer.....Now, no one is game to enjoy, for fear of being banned. So that allows the Crap posters to move in and take over.

I read this forum still, but never take the interest i used to. 

On 2/28/2017 at 2:20 PM, Kwasaki said:

Use the ignore facility simple easy way solution. :thumbsup:

I received a personal message from a member, who threatened to put me on his ignore list, because I had the audacity to contradict him.  He did.  :cheesy:

Op, you're right on the money.  Some of the hardcore posters, in the World News forum, are out of control.  Their non-stop posts overwhelm certain threads.  They will sound the 'off topic alarm', or cast aspersions toward any poster/group who doesn't echo their obsessive beliefs.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:09 AM, F4UCorsair said:

Surely we should all be able to come here, voice an opinion, without others ridiculing it...

We should be able to, but invariably we're going to get somebody saying "you've got to respect my beliefs!", when the poster is talking about how vaccines cause autism, anthropomorphic climate change is a conspiracy, genetically engineered food gives us cancer or any of a number of topics where the reality has no bearing on the poster's opinion.  If somebody voices a nutty opinion, it deserves to be ridiculed.

Hopefully this post doesn't kill the thread.

Edited by attrayant

On 2/28/2017 at 9:39 AM, F4UCorsair said:

'Killer Threads' would have an entirely different meaning!!

What you describe in your OP are the average facebook users. These are people that are seeking an audience and on facebook they give 2 options, either agree or shut the <deleted> up. On TV the only ways they have of gaining attention and an audience is to overpower all the other posters and dominate the threads. If the threads get closed down, so be it they don`t care. We often meet these types in real life, the know it alls and those who like to dominate any discussions and conversations. TV is not unique.

On 2/28/2017 at 11:34 AM, johng said:

I think the Thais with poor English skills left and no wonder with the "gramma police" jumping on any small mistakes.

On occasion I am a grammar policeman but I never have a go at non-native English speakers. It is easy enough to recognise them by the word choice and style.

I do not really see the harm in it, the standard of spelling and grammar is largely dismal to embarrassing and if people took note of being corrected instead of taking offence it could only help them.

Just ignore them and enjoy the responses which are interesting and informative. 

In the meantime I recognize their names and as soon as I see a reply from a particular member(s) I just skip it and continue scrolling. 

It's bad here, but it's worse when you meet them in real life. 

15 hours ago, rijb said:

I received a personal message from a member, who threatened to put me on his ignore list, because I had the audacity to contradict him.  He did.  :cheesy:

That's very funny especially the PM threat. :biggrin: