Six monks defrocked after they were tested positive for drug use

snoop1130

Six monks defrocked after they were tested positive for drug use

general4.jpg

Six monks at a temple in Suphan Buri province were on Tuesday defrocked after they were tested positive for illicit drug use.

The defrocking of the six monks followed a raid of the temple in Tambon Sa Kaew, Muang district of Suphan Buri by about 20 policemen, defence volunteers, local administration officials and military personnel.

Before the raid on Tuesday, residents living in the neighbourhood of the temple had lodged complaints to the police and local officials, accusing several monks of engaging in drug use and trafficking.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/six-monks-defrocked-tested-positive-drug-use/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-2-28

I can't understand why my wife's mother wakes up every morning at 4 am to cook for the monks.

When there's some religious budhist day in our moobaan they organise a huge monkparty where my wife brings loads of food in special baskets. Not cheap food and all in small packs cause the monks can't share one big pack for some reason. So they get minipacks of fruitjuice and plastic cups with water and so.

I never cared if she goes there but it's getting ridiculous lately. And the more salary she gets the more she gives to the monks.

At those special days there are 100 tables and chairs ont he streets under tents, all my neighbours go there pulling trolleys and carts full of gifts for the monks...it's not something small here.

I don't understand why it goes downhill so fast. Same goes for the police. I thought the new sheriff in town would keep the ropes short.

Edited by fruitman

A friend of mine owns a teaching agency and works as a teacher at one of his schools he has contracts with. It's a government school next to a temple. He told me than on a lunch time he would go visit the temple where novice monks lived and listen to them play guitar, chat in English and chill out with them. Anyhow he said he got to be good friends with the novice monks who were in there 20's. One day he smelled weed. He knew the smell because he'd smoked his fair share back in Blighty. "Can I have a smoke?". They agreed as long as he kept it quiet. So he spent the next year at the school smoking weed with the monks nearly every lunch time. So it definetely goes on. Oh my mate. He moved to a new school after a year. I think the school didn't renew his contract cause they knew he was stoned all the time.

14 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

It's becoming a big problem. I blame the Abbots.

First there was sitting meditation. Then there was walking meditation.... and now there is dancing meditation. I say congratulate the Abbot for embracing diversity!!!

Looks like too many in the monkhood nowadays believe that they can use the temple grounds as their own private stash house.
This is religious grounds and should be respected as that. Glad to see that the ones that take part in these unlawful societies of creeps start to get caught.

22 hours ago, PatOngo said:

The institute loses more credibility by the day!

Don't you recognise propaganda and its sources when you see it? The junta is currently struggling to quash a large religious sect, so are currently keen to score any points over the monkhood. Obviously they couldn't manage to pin any drug use on the Dhammakaya group so these guys would do instead. It's all to give the people the impression that monks are not untouchable.

10 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

Don't you recognise propaganda and its sources when you see it? The junta is currently struggling to quash a large religious sect, so are currently keen to score any points over the monkhood. Obviously they couldn't manage to pin any drug use on the Dhammakaya group so these guys would do instead. It's all to give the people the impression that monks are not untouchable.

Before the raid on Tuesday, residents living in the neighbourhood of the temple had lodged complaints to the police and local officials, accusing several monks of engaging in drug use and trafficking.

5 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Invites the question how would residents would know about this? The report is very sparse on detail. Note how they also throw in that the monks were guilty of trafficking too, just for good measure.

True or not, this article is all in the timing. Normally it's the sort of news that is kept quiet if possible, because it looks bad for Thailand. Not right now, when the junta wants to press the case that monks are not untouchable.

Certainly it has had the desired effect on everyone in this thread.