Contractor dies in circular saw accident

webfact

Contractor dies in circular saw accident

2am.jpg

PIcture: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A building contractor died after he fell from the roof of a house when a circular saw cut into his mouth and neck.

Phrapadaeng police found 54 year old Suwan Ladee from Samut Prakarn dead in a pool of blood next to the house that was being renovated. Near the body was the circular saw he had been using, Thairath reported.

He had a ten inch long cut to the bone from the left side of his mouth round his neck.

Nan, 23, a Cambodian working on the renovation of the two story house said that his boss had already cut two protruding lengths of wood and was working on a third when the saw slipped from his grasp and plunged into his neck.

He fell from the house and was already dead.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-01

Calling a moron who jury-rigs a circular saw blade onto a electric hand grinder with all guards removed a contractor is an insult to contractors.

This was not an unexpected outcome & this is not a circular saw

Edited by mania

They make a 4" circular saw blades which fit perfectly into an angle grinder. I always assumed that was what they were for. But I have one and have used it that way. I nicknamed it the mangler, because it was very hard to control and it caught edges and jumped when you least expected it. I have since got a reciprocating saw to do those kinds of jobs.

I can see how you can get your throat cut with one of these setups.

A Deadly tool if used in correctly, that has been banned from many sites and mines in Australia,

the power in rotation head , requires tremendous grip strength to control if the blade or disc becomes caught and can drive  the grinder in any direction,

Sadly,

A Short cut that never worked.

21 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

They make a 4" circular saw blades which fit perfectly into an angle grinder. I always assumed that was what they were for.

They also fit the 4" concrete/tile cutters which, whilst they don't have a full spring-loaded blade guard, do have most of the blade covered and are controllable with one of these fitted. I have one and it's great for small work where the big power saw is just too much.

I don't think I would ever dream of putting one on an angle-grinder.

The contractors and workers practice unsafe working methods all the time...almost every electrical tool they use has been bastardised in some way....bare cables held into power outlets with nails....cables joined with tape to make them longer...and angle grinders used for everything....and this example...a 7" or 9" grinder with a saw blade....was only a matter of time!

3 hours ago, mania said:

Calling a moron who jury-rigs a circular saw blade onto a electric hand grinder with all guards removed a contractor is an insult to contractors.

These circular saws are made for hand grinders, but i have only seen those for sale in Thailand and always wondered who would use them since they are so dangerous.

This is what you get if you won't invest in decent tools and a hand grinder is all you have. Good it happened to the boss himself though, i bet he also gave it to his workers to use.

When we had our stainless carport made i saw them making cardboard circles, big ones, to use on the handgrinders for polishing the welds... They are soo inventiv. Also welding with sunglasses is a Thailand only way of working.

The guy responsible for safety on the constructionsite should be kept responsible for this. And thailand should stop selling those circularsawblades for grinders.

15 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

The contractors and workers practice unsafe working methods all the time...almost every electrical tool they use has been bastardised in some way....bare cables held into power outlets with nails....cables joined with tape to make them longer...and angle grinders used for everything....and this example...a 7" or 9" grinder with a saw blade....was only a matter of time!

Oh was it a big grinder? Can't see it well, they sell circularsawblades for the small ones but for big ones i haven't seen them.

But also real circularsaw tables in Thailand are very crappy and homemade. Those things can't cut straight but nobody cares.

This is what you get if there are high importtaxes on good tools from Japan/Germany

Edited by fruitman

6 minutes ago, fruitman said:

But also real circularsaw tables in Thailand are very crappy and homemade. Those things can't cut straight but nobody cares.

This is what you get if there are high importtaxes on good tools from Japan/Germany

My Makita  table saw cuts straight.

15 minutes ago, fruitman said:

And thailand should stop selling those circularsawblades for grinders.

I don't recall seeing saw blades marketed specifically for grinders. There are a myriad of power saw manufacturers and an equal number of hole sizes, it's no surprise that you can find a blade that will fit a grinder, but that doesn't mean it was meant to.

If the victim had retained even the primitive guard that came with the grinder it may (just may) have been enough to save him. But guards "get in the way", which is why I'm forever putting angle-grinder guards back on when the chaps have finished with them :(

I also provide gloves, eye protection and welding masks, these are invariably in exactly the same place when the chaps pack up. No amount of "persuading" makes any difference, but at least I've done my bit.

"A building contractor died after he fell from the roof of a house when a circular saw cut into his mouth and neck."

I'm sure his union rep will give the builder hell for not following safety procedures.

Stupid Farang Standards: According to safety standards, all sawing and other mechanical procedures must be preformed on the ground on a secure platform/workbench , while wearing safety gear, by a qualified journeyman or apprentice under the supervision of such journeyman.

Thai Standards: "Somchai, stay on the roof, press the button and aim the round thing that looks like your mother's teeth towards the long stick. "

Edited by jaltsc

40 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

My Makita  table saw cuts straight.

Yup those are very good but i have never seen a Thai working with one.....they build their own.

35 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I don't recall seeing saw blades marketed specifically for grinders. There are a myriad of power saw manufacturers and an equal number of hole sizes, it's no surprise that you can find a blade that will fit a grinder, but that doesn't mean it was meant to.

If the victim had retained even the primitive guard that came with the grinder it may (just may) have been enough to save him. But guards "get in the way", which is why I'm forever putting angle-grinder guards back on when the chaps have finished with them :(

I also provide gloves, eye protection and welding masks, these are invariably in exactly the same place when the chaps pack up. No amount of "persuading" makes any difference, but at least I've done my bit.

They sell a lot of tools to mount on small grinders, one day i bought all of them in homepro.....sanding discs, polishing stones, circular saws and some more. They were all next to eachother for sale, i didn't even know what they were then but they were cheap so i bought all. Never dared to use the circularsaw blade though...i also have never seen a sawmachine for those small discs so i guess they're for grinders.

I don't give contractors any tools again when working on my house...they don't give it back and ruin it...i still have my aluminium ladder here full of screws which a stealworker drilled into it just for fun.  Heck i even don't want to have any workers near my house anymore, will do it myself. If they're gone i 'm always busy repairing their damage and doing their job properly myself according to western standards. I want it perfect.

Gloves in my size don't exist in thailand haha. 

One day a specialized granitecompany came to make my kitchencounter from granite. They had to cut the stove-hole in the granite and that stove came with a template for cutting. I showed it to the somchais and told them to cut exactly inside that hole in the cardboard template. Of course they wouldn't do so, stupid farang-tricks....They cut the whole too big but were lucky it still fit.

They also had to make a nice smooth edge along the countertop, that took them 5 hours nonstop polishing on my driveway...i expected they had done that already on a cnc-machine in their workshop...of course not. They do that by hand, 2 guys with grinders for 5 hours nonstop.

Thai really love grinding machines and use that for everything. They also tried to use one to cut steel in my livingroom, next to the expensive sofa's and new tv. They really have no idea at all how to use them and what damage they can cause.

A contractor from the neighbour paid me 1000 baht cause he had burned sparks into my tile-floor and also in the windows of another neighbour.

9 minutes ago, fruitman said:

...i also have never seen a sawmachine for those small discs so i guess they're for grinders.

Here you go https://www.homepro.co.th/product/1043479

It even came with a 4" circular saw blade. No spring-return guard, but at least it's manageable and the handle keeps you away from most of the blade.

1043479.jpg

4 hours ago, mania said:

Agreed, That Grinder looks savage

10 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

I wonder if he was following the Method statement ?

Arrgghh, Method Statements (useless ones from local contractors), the bane of my life :(

Ten pages of how to drive to the site, one line on how to set up the crane and lifting kit, nothing on how to perform the lift :(

6 hours ago, mania said:

Yet is standard  procedure as soon as  a  new one is removed from the box, 1. remove safety guard,

2 use electric extension cord  bell wire with 2  bare  cables shoved into a socket somewhere.

I dont use any workers here anymore, gave that up years ago, however my staff boy still tries this crap regularly, they always think it wont  happen, no idea how to cut anything with these saws had to show  him that whatever hes  cutting needs to fall down from the blade not up as sure as shit  stinks he would try and cut something in the  middle with the piece of metal/wood folding up on  itself biting onto the saw blade and smacking him in the face or similar to what happened here...........cretinous is an insult to cretins

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yup those are very good but i have never seen a Thai working with one.....they build their own.

They sell a lot of tools to mount on small grinders, one day i bought all of them in homepro.....sanding discs, polishing stones, circular saws and some more. They were all next to eachother for sale, i didn't even know what they were then but they were cheap so i bought all. Never dared to use the circularsaw blade though...i also have never seen a sawmachine for those small discs so i guess they're for grinders.

I don't give contractors any tools again when working on my house...they don't give it back and ruin it...i still have my aluminium ladder here full of screws which a stealworker drilled into it just for fun.  Heck i even don't want to have any workers near my house anymore, will do it myself. If they're gone i 'm always busy repairing their damage and doing their job properly myself according to western standards. I want it perfect.

Gloves in my size don't exist in thailand haha. 

One day a specialized granitecompany came to make my kitchencounter from granite. They had to cut the stove-hole in the granite and that stove came with a template for cutting. I showed it to the somchais and told them to cut exactly inside that hole in the cardboard template. Of course they wouldn't do so, stupid farang-tricks....They cut the whole too big but were lucky it still fit.

They also had to make a nice smooth edge along the countertop, that took them 5 hours nonstop polishing on my driveway...i expected they had done that already on a cnc-machine in their workshop...of course not. They do that by hand, 2 guys with grinders for 5 hours nonstop.

Thai really love grinding machines and use that for everything. They also tried to use one to cut steel in my livingroom, next to the expensive sofa's and new tv. They really have no idea at all how to use them and what damage they can cause.

A contractor from the neighbour paid me 1000 baht cause he had burned sparks into my tile-floor and also in the windows of another neighbour.

Theres  also the later  joy of steel slivers landing on your paintwork like dust and when it rains leaving lovely rust stains on the wall.............had to tell my kid which way to cut  steel and where.......well away from the house.........then have to tell him to pick up any shrapnel for fear of punctures in the pick up or  my foot.

3 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"A building contractor died after he fell from the roof of a house when a circular saw cut into his mouth and neck."

I'm sure his union rep will give the builder hell for not following safety procedures.

Stupid Farang Standards: According to safety standards, all sawing and other mechanical procedures must be preformed on the ground on a secure platform/workbench , while wearing safety gear, by a qualified journeyman or apprentice under the supervision of such journeyman.

Thai Standards: "Somchai, stay on the roof, press the button and aim the round thing that looks like your mother's teeth towards the long stick. "

My boy is  so  dumb he puts the blade on backwards and spends 20  minutes trying to cut some  half  inch plywood..............hilarious to watch

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Here you go https://www.homepro.co.th/product/1043479

It even came with a 4" circular saw blade. No spring-return guard, but at least it's manageable and the handle keeps you away from most of the blade.

1043479.jpg

This is a tilecutter, is this the one which should be used with the mini circular sawblades?

These ones also can have a double diamond cuttingblade for routing electric pipes in stone walls.

What's the advantage of using this machine with a mini circular sawblade? 

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

These circular saws are made for hand grinders, but i have only seen those for sale in Thailand and always wondered who would use them since they are so dangerous.

This is what you get if you won't invest in decent tools and a hand grinder is all you have. Good it happened to the boss himself though, i bet he also gave it to his workers to use.

When we had our stainless carport made i saw them making cardboard circles, big ones, to use on the handgrinders for polishing the welds... They are soo inventiv. Also welding with sunglasses is a Thailand only way of working.

The guy responsible for safety on the constructionsite should be kept responsible for this. And thailand should stop selling those circularsawblades for grinders.

They're not made for angle grinders, they just fit in them, the very small ones are made for biscuit jointers, the larger ones for hand held circular saws and small table saws, how can you stop something being sold that has a legitimate use but it being used by some in the wrong tool? 

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

Oh was it a big grinder? Can't see it well, they sell circularsawblades for the small ones but for big ones i haven't seen them.

Ever heard of JTEPA?  That's the free trade agreement between Thailand and Japan, zero tariff and duty on Japanese imports.  The only thing with any taxes are some grains and tobacco.

3 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

They're not made for angle grinders, they just fit in them, the very small ones are made for biscuit jointers, the larger ones for hand held circular saws and small table saws, how can you stop something being sold that has a legitimate use but it being used by some in the wrong tool? 

Oh yeah of course, i forgot about them, we call them lamello's. Expensive machines they are.

And what are those sanding discs which fit on the axle of the angle grinder for? And those stones discs?? They are about 1 cm thick.

4 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Ever heard of JTEPA?  That's the free trade agreement between Thailand and Japan, zero tariff and duty on Japanese imports.  The only thing with any taxes are some grains and tobacco.

Never heard of that but Makita tools are much cheaper in the USA.  Thailand only has very old models (since 2 years they have the 18V lxt-lines) while i already have that for a decade.

Why is Makita so expensive in thailand if there's no importtax? They do have cheaper machines of makita here but those have only 2 wires which is illegal to use in Europe. Also they don't come in a box or so.

I always like to see a thai professional at work in a mall or so...they never have makita's or any other high quality tools. Yes maybe a drill with hammerfunction and for heavy jobs they have a Hilti but that's about all they have.

Edited by fruitman