Time Up For Some 30 Day Visa Runners

Can anyone explain as have another 3 weeks before my visa runs out, which is a 3 months tourist visa. Do these new rules mean that i can't do a visa run at Cambodia, and mean i have to return to the UK, if so for how long before i can return back to Thailand.

I was here for 3 months starting in June, returned to the UK early Sept, and came back to Thailand 2nd week of November.

Thanks

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone explain as have another 3 weeks before my visa runs out, which is a 3 months tourist visa. Do these new rules mean that i can't do a visa run at Cambodia, and mean i have to return to the UK, if so for how long before i can return back to Thailand.

I was here for 3 months starting in June, returned to the UK early Sept, and came back to Thailand 2nd week of November.

Thanks

Hi,

got a VOA today(30 days) at Cambodia Border (Kap Choeng) after 3month "TR" visa from Lao ( Savannakhet), no problems, no questions.

Happy New Year.

... I have a multi-entry tourist visa.

NO, you don't :o

Hi ltdknowledge,

There is no such a "multi-entry tourist" visa. May be you have a Tourist Visa with double entry, 3-entry or 4-entry (max), but there is no "multi-entry" for Tourist Visa.

Happy New Year :D

Pattaya46

Sure. No problem with Thailand not allowing perpetual tourists or 30 days VOAs to stay forever. Logical.

But in the same time, they must make it MUCH easier for legitimate long term stay! Currently we really have an OYSTER POLICY.

-For spouses (financial requirements constantly increased)

-For foreign parents of Thai nationals (not allowed below 50 anymore if unmarried)

why do so many on this forum think that 30 day border visa runners contribute less to the thai economy/culture than those that visas not requiring them to do the border run every 30 days?

does having the tourist visa, or "other" marriage/retirment visa really put you onto the next level above that of the 30 day visa runner?

shiz i'm sorry but i think i met just as many rude & ignorant "other" visa holders as i ever met 30 day visa runners while in thailand. just because you are over 50 or can marry a local or get yourself a tourist visa i am not convinced it makes you any more worthy to stay in LOS as opposed to the 30 day border runner.

what is the tourist visa anyway? just a glorified 30 day border stamp times 2 with the chance of a 30 day ext?... yeah yeah i know, it is now the choice for any farang wanting to stay in LOS for longer than the duration of a vacation that isn't married or over the hill...er i mean 50... in reality it will be many ex-30 day border runners... so is this the next group that will be looked upon as not being worthy to stay in LOS... well you can always go knock up a local thai & marry her or turn 50 & to be viewed as being a "legitimate long term stay" visitor to LOS whose contribution to the local economy or culture is viewed as a worthy one!

sorry for the rant but it just makes me wonder why so many peeps with "other" visas think it is a GREAT idea that 30 day border runners are FINALLY being "dealt with" & not allowed to stay long term as was ok in the past?

Sorry, it's a multi entry non immigrant visa valid for 12 months with 90 days stay on each. Does this affect me, can i do the run toCambodia when my visa is due to expire?

Do a border run to Cambodia right before it expires, and then you'll probably get another 90 days. In this case, the one-year non-immigrant visa can actually have an effect of a 15 month visa.

Sure. No problem with Thailand not allowing perpetual tourists or 30 days VOAs to stay forever. Logical.

But in the same time, they must make it MUCH easier for legitimate long term stay! Currently we really have an OYSTER POLICY.

-For spouses (financial requirements constantly increased)

-For foreign parents of Thai nationals (not allowed below 50 anymore if unmarried)

why do so many on this forum think that 30 day border visa runners contribute less to the thai economy/culture than those that visas not requiring them to do the border run every 30 days?

does having the tourist visa, or "other" marriage/retirment visa really put you onto the next level above that of the 30 day visa runner?

shiz i'm sorry but i think i met just as many rude & ignorant "other" visa holders as i ever met 30 day visa runners while in thailand. just because you are over 50 or can marry a local or get yourself a tourist visa i am not convinced it makes you any more worthy to stay in LOS as opposed to the 30 day border runner.

what is the tourist visa anyway? just a glorified 30 day border stamp times 2 with the chance of a 30 day ext?... yeah yeah i know, it is now the choice for any farang wanting to stay in LOS for longer than the duration of a vacation that isn't married or over the hill...er i mean 50... in reality it will be many ex-30 day border runners... so is this the next group that will be looked upon as not being worthy to stay in LOS... well you can always go knock up a local thai & marry her or turn 50 & to be viewed as being a "legitimate long term stay" visitor to LOS whose contribution to the local economy or culture is viewed as a worthy one!

sorry for the rant but it just makes me wonder why so many peeps with "other" visas think it is a GREAT idea that 30 day border runners are FINALLY being "dealt with" & not allowed to stay long term as was ok in the past?

I am with you on this, for some reason men who are married to a thai or are over 50 think that they give more to thailand.

Well said totally agree. Some people get a different visa and, all of a sudden they are better than everyone else. What is up with this visa snobbery?

Deep down, sometimes I feel this country would have been much better of if it been colonialised by the brits.

Not just for our sake, but for the Thais as well.

Why not colonized by the Yanks? :o

It has been colonialised by the Yanks, I cant walk without tripping over a 7-11.

7-11 of Thailand isn't American owned its just been licensed by Thai companies which tend to be mostly Thai owned with little foreign ownership participation. They are simply licensing the image and concept for brand awareness and retail system. The only control Southland corporation of America has is oversight to insure they are protecting the brand image by following the licensing agreement.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

I honestly think it doesn't make any sense at all.

Thailand has obviously decided it's going to support itself via tourism.

So what's it gonna be ?

Want tourists, or don't want tourists ?

Ahhh, now I see, they only want wealthy tourists, as it's only them who can afford

flying across the planet for a stamp in their passports.

Thailand has finally decided it doesn't need bagpackers anymore.

Guest houses, restaurants, travel agents are all going to loose out on the new rules.

Good move ?

Offcourse not, but then again, I never get surprised by anything here anymore.

Thai legislations are a joke.

It's almost like a news paper, new rules everyday.

Why didn't they get it right the first time ?

It's the old "Eat the cake and still have it" syndrome with these people.

Greed unlimited.

For all of you who has managed to comply with the new rules, good for you.

But don't be to smug about it, cause tomorrow (with the new rules), you might be on a plane out of here to, cause you doesn't qualify anymore.

Edited by friend2

Deep down, sometimes I feel this country would have been much better of if it been colonialised by the brits.

Not just for our sake, but for the Thais as well.

Why not colonized by the Yanks? :D

It has been colonialised by the Yanks, I cant walk without tripping over a 7-11.

Sorry, dude, those aren't Yanks. Rebels south of the Mason-Dixie line! :o

The whinging is getting to me - again.

You know, many of us who do have regular year-long visas, work permits, etc do actually have some sympathy for 30-day-runners - you're here cause you like Thailand, fair enough. So please drop the snobbery-us-versus-them bit ok?

The issue is more complex than just saying guys married to Thais or those over 50 are being favoured. Thailand extends an exception to those over 50 under certain conditions - especially that they bring in a minimum amount of hard currency each month. That benefits Thailand. A tourist can come to Thailand for up to 90 days - that's pretty generous don't you think?

Name me a G8 country that lets you live there year round without a specific visa in order for you to do so legally? In the US they've got vigilantes riding around border areas ready to shoot 'wetbacks' and they've got those ICE or INS stormtroopers ready to kick in doors and deport people. Yuo're lucky you got away with these border runs as long as you did.

As for foreigners married to Thais, this country is actually quite resrictive, allowing that foreign spouse only to 'visit' for purposes of seeing their wife and kids. Visit?

If a Thai married an American, Canadian, Brit, Aussie, etc, they would be able to move to those countries permanently AND work in any bloody profession they so chose. So the "O" Visa for married guys is much more unfair than limiting perpetual tourist visas don't you think? I'm married to a Thai our kids were born here, and not only am I not allowed to own a family home to house my Thai-born family (ok a condo in a 51% Thai-owned joint is ok), but I am deemed merely a 'visitor'.

All these laws have been put in place to protect the elite thai merchant class from foreigners moving here and building a better mousetrap.

Get used to it- it will probably get more restrictive in the future once Thailand has to start competing with the real world - and realizes that it can't.

Well said totally agree. Some people get a different visa and, all of a sudden they are better than everyone else. What is up with this visa snobbery?

Some people choose to be compliant. Some don't ( well didn't )

Some people choose to be compliant. Some don't ( well didn't )

Untill a recent moment, I was a scumbag myself (VOA) for almost 4 years. I am uttermost lucky I got a regular job with WP (almost a miracle in my case).

Anyway I still continue to think the following :

VOA WAS (past tense) a valid and legal option in the past, right now it's not true anymore. People choosed to use that options not becausse they looked to be criminal, but simply because for some it was the only one existing.

Right now, a part of the expat community is simply invited to leave the country. I do claim that part is not the nice fellas who are sponsorising the sex industry in Thailand, nor those who currently buy shoes for buffalos. //deorgortory comments to specific group removed - lopburi3//

The expats that are kicked out Thailand is the kind of 35 y old, who invested his money in a real business or more simply who tried to restart his her life here. Those people are kicked simply because they are a pain in the a*** for the local : they do not waste money in bar fine and short time hotel. they mostly do not bother themself by hiring 4 lazy peoples just because they could got a WP , the VOA was taken care of that and saved them a lot of money and headhache. In more , cherry on the cake, mostly if they go, they will not be able to move back 100% of their investment, there is also laws who do not allow you move freely YOUR money outside Thailand.

For me, I was on the departure 3 month ago, then I got a job. So my situation have changed but not my vision on that very problem. The motto is still the same : Thailande love your money but dislike you.

And I would suggest a visit to an optician as your vision is anything but 20/20. The staying/working on a visa free entry was never a valid or legal option. It was tolerated but abused and for that reason there is now an attempt to remove that loophole. As for the derogatory comments on a group of people please review forum rules before posting again.

And I would suggest a visit to an optician as your vision is anything but 20/20. The staying/working on a visa free entry was never a valid or legal option. It was tolerated but abused and for that reason there is now an attempt to remove that loophole. As for the derogatory comments on a group of people please review forum rules before posting again.

I dont know how much it was never a valid legal option or even tolerated but abused..

I havent been on VOA's now for a few years.. However a couple of years back a non imm B was expiring and the penang triple tourist visa looked more workload in extensions etc so I put a shirt and a smile on, and went to my immigration office.

I asked them about going for another non imm B with an invite letter.. No no just do visa run Ranong.

I asked them the details of extending tourist triples to get 9 months from the 6.. No no more expensive just go Ranong easy.

I asked about ED visa if I was studying language.. No no.. Why farang want make problem.. Go bus Ranong 1 time one month.

I asked about non imm O and the investor amounts and types of accounts they accepted.. Go bus Ranong 30 day stamp.

Basically I was trying every legal avenue I could think of, I was doing my best to establish a framework to increase my permanence and all they wanted, all they suggested, the complete push of their advise was 'why bother with all this complex stuff, why bother getting anything, just get on the bus Gus'..

So when you go to the immigration office (mine is hyper friendly BTW) trying to find out the information of how best to do what I figured should be done and the people in charge of giving information and advising you what to do simply push the option of visa runs is it really the farangs fault that so many people have in the past thought it was the best solution ??

Q for those more knowledgeable than l.

l left Thailand on a tourist visa, on December 16, after being on a tourist visa for 75 days. l have begun a new job in China, but have been told l must take annual leave in February as the company will be closed for Chinese New Year. l want to return to Thailand for 28 days, only. Can l get a visa on arrival to cover my 30 days, since l have not been out of the country for the requisite 90 days ?

l was on a tourist visa for most of last year, as it was easier to do it that way, between trips to Australia and Korea. The above dates are relevant because of the law that was enacted / activated on October 1. l will check with the Thai consulate in Hong Kong, but thought l would try here first, to see if l can get some idea of what is going on, before then. Cheers all.

I dont know how much it was never a valid legal option or even tolerated but abused..

I havent been on VOA's now for a few years.. However a couple of years back a non imm B was expiring and the penang triple tourist visa looked more workload in extensions etc so I put a shirt and a smile on, and went to my immigration office.

I asked them about going for another non imm B with an invite letter.. No no just do visa run Ranong.

I asked them the details of extending tourist triples to get 9 months from the 6.. No no more expensive just go Ranong easy.

I asked about ED visa if I was studying language.. No no.. Why farang want make problem.. Go bus Ranong 1 time one month.

I asked about non imm O and the investor amounts and types of accounts they accepted.. Go bus Ranong 30 day stamp.

Basically I was trying every legal avenue I could think of, I was doing my best to establish a framework to increase my permanence and all they wanted, all they suggested, the complete push of their advise was 'why bother with all this complex stuff, why bother getting anything, just get on the bus Gus'..

So when you go to the immigration office (mine is hyper friendly BTW) trying to find out the information of how best to do what I figured should be done and the people in charge of giving information and advising you what to do simply push the option of visa runs is it really the farangs fault that so many people have in the past thought it was the best solution ??

I agree with you 100%

Unless you are on very good terms with the immigration authorities,

(Your wife's uncle just happen to work there, etc).

Don't expect to get all the avenues laid out before you.

Their lazy as hel_l, and just hates doing anything out of the ordinary.

After making visas here for several years, i've seen it with my own eyes,

foreigners being ignored, one after the other.

It's Thaistyle.

In the good old days you were asked to bring a bottle of fine whisky at each

visa renewal.

Not anymore, but it's still expected, if you know what I mean...

If they don't ask for it, it's not extortion.

They just ignore you until they see you in a "favoureable light".

Q for those more knowledgeable than l.

l left Thailand on a tourist visa, on December 16, after being on a tourist visa for 75 days. l have begun a new job in China, but have been told l must take annual leave in February as the company will be closed for Chinese New Year. l want to return to Thailand for 28 days, only. Can l get a visa on arrival to cover my 30 days, since l have not been out of the country for the requisite 90 days ?

l was on a tourist visa for most of last year, as it was easier to do it that way, between trips to Australia and Korea. The above dates are relevant because of the law that was enacted / activated on October 1. l will check with the Thai consulate in Hong Kong, but thought l would try here first, to see if l can get some idea of what is going on, before then. Cheers all.

I don't believe your are from a country that has visa on arrival privilege (15 day visa) but probably from a country allowed 30 day entry without visa. You should not have any problem doing that. Tourist visa entries are not limited to the 90 day limit in any case - only the visa free entry are being counted toward that limit.

I would suggest you , as you are a moderator, to keep your saying staight.

During at least 3 years I got a VOA From the immigration officer sitting in Aranyaprathet (never the same person). I do suppose that person did know better than me or you what was legal, or are you pretenting the immigration did not know what he /she was doing? Or are you assuming I corrupted the whole Aranyaprathet immigration office in the goal to get an 'illigitime' visa every month?

If not, then it was legal option , as it was gived by an immigration officer during his/her duty without any fake information given by me.

I don't see why any foreigner would be against other foreigners using VOA's to work in Thailand and I think some people are confused between a LEGAL issue and a MORAL one. It has always been ILLEGAL to work on a VOA, but as far as MORAL issues are concerned, the issue seems to be at worst in a grey area...

1) Sure, foreigners working with VOA's don't pay taxes, but they also usually get paid much less than those holding work visas. In either case the tax bracket for most people working on VOA's would probably be around 10% or so. :o

2) Many foreigners working on VOA's were language teachers or performed another job that didn't jeopardize employment for many Thais (i.e. filling a knowledge labor gap). In fact, perhaps VOA labor helped Thailand more than it hurt it.

3) Working and living on VOA's doesn't sound like such a comfortable solution, so why be jealous of those who did it (especially since anyone could have done it)? If you get caught you can be deported or go to jail or pay a fine, you have to cross the border in and out of Thailand once a month, you can't get a monthly plan for a cell phone, cable TV, ADSL, buy a car, etc. (unless your landlord or Thai friend helps you out). :D

So the point is, unless you are an immigrations officer (or possibly a Thai citizen) why would you complain about people who work on VOA's? There's great people in every visa category and shitty people too. Stereotyping a whole category of people is never accurate. :D

I for one was never allowed to get VOA's in the first place because of my nationality. I never earned 1 satang on a Tourist visa, but that was my choice. Laws and rules are meant to be bent. Regardless of wealth, most people bend laws in one way or another throughout their life. As long as you're not hurting anybody with your actions (or go to jail or worst)...

In fact, many laws are made by the powerful for their advantage and to keep the powerless powerless. The more money you have, the better legal protection (accounting, etc.) you can get. Some people may call this bribery, our societies have decided to call it THE LAW. :D

Edited by tamaique

So in your opinion its is going to be bad for thailand -if the thais feel they will be able to live in more harmony with fewer ferang then what is worng with that - life is more than about money - its about quality of life and it seems to me that this is the direction that the Thais are going - away from western avaricios behaviour

unbelievable what you can read on this board.....

post-36056-1168136535.gif

post-36056-1168136556.gif

post-36056-1168136567.gif

post-36056-1168136592.gif

Offcourse it must be a dilemma for them.

They don't want foreigners here, but they do want our money.

So, with the new legislation, they think it's worth to get rid of the poorest of the

farang bunch.

They don't need to see their faces anymore, ohh what a relief, PAI !!,

Now they can concentrate, on only squezzing the fruit with the most juice. :o:D

Offcourse it must be a dilemma for them.

They don't want foreigners here, but they do want our money.

So, with the new legislation, they think it's worth to get rid of the poorest of the

farang bunch.

They don't need to see their faces anymore, ohh what a relief, PAI !!,

Now they can concentrate, on only squezzing the fruit with the most juice. :o:D

"Think" being the operative word.

Most of us that the Thais consider rich, are at best only a small step above being poor back home. We wear cheap flip flops, shirts and shorts as its bloody hot here and thats what Thailand specialise in... Cheap clothing!

The people with the real money never have and never will bother Thailand in large numbers.

Clear 20,000 Farang bar hoppers and owners out of Pattaya. Who'se going to move in? Think rich people are going to be intested in anything off 2nd road?, Soi Bukhoa? Soi Chaiapoom?

Rich people don't want to see poor folk around, so all the Thais would have to go! None of that hawking round bars and in restrauants. Looking slim and attractive would piss off most of the white women no end so bye bye girls back to the farm. Would probably clear more thais out than farangs this one!

Anybody visualise Crazy Davina's international bar and diner. Truffle omelettes, roast Guinea Fowl, prawns in aspic (all with beans or tomatos) and watch video re-runs of Royal Ascot and Henley Reggatta all day!

Leave it alone and be careful what you wish for. If they get 50% of their wishes, that will be the existing foreigners out without replacing it with anything better. They will only go along with this <deleted> until they see a loss of revenue!! That, you can belive!

Many perpetual tourists have family and friends that they entice into the country. Brings a few baht in if nothing else.

Edited by Dupont

There are many quite different groupings amongst the Thai people. Consequently, when we come across one group about whom we could say "They want XX, and not YY", it is equally possible to find another group about whom we could say "They want YY, and not XX".

So, it is misleading to describe any one attitude to foreigners that we have come across as the definitive attitude of Thais to foreigners.

There will be some Thais who regret this ending of unlimited back-to-back 'permission-to-stay-for-30-days'.

At the other end of the spectrum, there will be some who applaud its ending.

And, in between, there will be a lot who are not greatly concerned, one way or the other.

Over the coming years, though, I would expect to see a worldwide growing resistance to approving of one's government letting in lots of foreigners. There seems to be a growing feeling that there is more to fear from admitting foreigners than there is to hope to benefit from it.

Of late, in Thailand, there seems to have been an increase in the number of single foreign men who, previously, stuck to Pattaya etc spreading out into provincial cities.

That cannot be expected to be a welcome phenomenon to those Thais who liked their provincial city as it was, and care and have 'clout' to keep it so.

It will be interesting to see what reactive happenings occur in the future, either from national politicians reacting to the concerns of those who bring pressure to bear, or from provincial authorities checking up on exactly who is residing, properly or improperly, on their patches.

IMHO after all is said and done, those who really want to stay will find a way to do it even if it means a greater effort.

Others will opt for a simpler way to stay in what to me are less desirable countries to live.

Edited by DFCarlson