Time Up For Some 30 Day Visa Runners

Once again wrong information if Immigration is to be believed. It is the number of days in Thailand that is to be counted - not the number of entries.

So a falang living in Vientiane could theoretically pop over to Nong Khai every day for 90 days if he wanted? Or could spend a weekend in LOS every month for entire year with plenty of unused time left over, right?

Aloha,

Rex

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you working in thailand ? if so why cant you get a business and work permit?

if you have income from overseas, why dont you get a retirement visa - i guess you are over 50?

wow- what a situation...

amarka

Erm No.. and No..

Bzzztt.. Next genius please..

hi...

ok then mr genius,

tell me....

what you have been a tourist for 15 years...

or are you going to tell me you are rich and dont need to work - just cant afford a proper business....

dont be shy - lets have the details...

amarka

Yeah I am wealthy enough that I can live in my villa look over the ocean and drink Daquries all day.. For the rest of my life..

And why would I want a business.. I make more in interest than I spend 5- 10x over depending on how my investment portfolio does.. Bother with some little Thai thingand all the headaches of Thai miss management.. Not me my friend..

I have only been here 5 years mind.. I am 33 so was full time retired at 28..

As I said its not tough.. Just tell a clerk to make a shelf company for you and get a non imm B.. Let clerks make some baht and just dont trade the company.. But it is a waste.. Would rather just pay 100k to immigration per year.. Surely they want the money.. Looks like theres enough uses for it.

Just seems kinda stupid that Thailand wants me to go.. Surely 2 mil a year into the economy and no chance of taking anythign from Thailand is a win win for them.. But they make no 'legal' way to stay here..

It is their choice, their country, get over it

I will.. Lets face it you would have to be seriously mentally deficient not to be able to outfox this superb bit of Thai legislation and implementation..

But I will still comment when I see Thais doing things detrimental to Thailand.. It may be thier country, it may be thier rules, but they are not beneficial to Thailand economically and all to simple to ignore.. Lose lose situation !!

Once again wrong information if Immigration is to be believed. It is the number of days in Thailand that is to be counted - not the number of entries.

So a falang living in Vientiane could theoretically pop over to Nong Khai every day for 90 days if he wanted? Or could spend a weekend in LOS every month for entire year with plenty of unused time left over, right?

Aloha,

Rex

That is the design. Only those using for long stay should be affected.

(clue.. Get a second passport.. wow that was tough)..

Get a second passport and use that! These are definitely the words of a genius! How many people who do not have dual nationality can get a second passport legally? 'Lose' your passport and then file a false police report, a false declaration to your embassy and pick up your new passport. Then, because you still have your old passport with the entry stamp in it, use it to leave the country. That, as I said before, is a touch of genius and now all you have to do is explain why you are leaving the country on a VOID passport.

are you working in thailand ? if so why cant you get a business and work permit?

if you have income from overseas, why dont you get a retirement visa - i guess you are over 50?

wow- what a situation...

amarka

Erm No.. and No..

hi...

ok then mr genius,

tell me....

or are you going to tell me you are rich and dont need to work - just cant afford a proper business....

amarka

Yeah I am wealthy enough that I can live in my villa look over the ocean and drink Daquries all day.. For the rest of my life..

And why would I want a business.. I make more in interest than I spend 5- 10x over depending on how my investment portfolio does.. Bother with some little Thai thingand all the headaches of Thai miss management.. Not me my friend..

As I said its not tough.. Just tell a clerk to make a shelf company for you and get a non imm B.. Let clerks make some baht and just dont trade the company.. But it is a waste.. Would rather just pay 100k to immigration per year.. Surely they want the money.. Looks like theres enough uses for it.

Just seems kinda stupid that Thailand wants me to go.. Surely 2 mil a year into the economy and no chance of taking anythign from Thailand is a win win for them.. But they make no 'legal' way to stay here..

hi -

well done - and i really mean that....

looks like you are in a very good position, as a business man myself i can appriciate what you are saying...

yes there should be a visa for people like you who can afford to live off their own income, irrespective of age .....

nice to hear a success story instead of all the usual moaning....

amarka

(clue.. Get a second passport.. wow that was tough)..

Get a second passport and use that! These are definitely the words of a genius! How many people who do not have dual nationality can get a second passport legally? 'Lose' your passport and then file a false police report, a false declaration to your embassy and pick up your new passport. Then, because you still have your old passport with the entry stamp in it, use it to leave the country. That, as I said before, is a touch of genius and now all you have to do is explain why you are leaving the country on a VOID passport.

Dont know about your country but mine and most will give you a second passport simply.. all you need is a valid reason..

Visiting Cuba and America ?? valid reason..

Visiting Isreal and anywhere else in the middle east valid reason..

Ask your embassy this..

I must carry my passport on me at all times in Thailand correct (yes)

OK I want a Libyan visa and theres no embassy in Thailand.. It has to be posted.. Now what ??

Mine smiled and issued me a second passport..

Touch of genius..

I actually hold 4 passports but thats another story..

You know.. If I actually had any faith at all in the promises of Thai systems I wouldnt mind a lifetime use and 5 years visa's for 1mil..

I dont care about golf, I dont care about the biz intros, I guess fast track immigration would be ok..

But 1 mil for lifetime 5 year visa's.. OK sure I would bite..

The the fact is its backed up by the promises of a Thai company.. who have already backed out of many initial promises (land).. And the pet project of the head waiter..

I know how much after sales service you usually get in asia, once the money is paid the service is concluded.. And I have my doubts about its lifespan say 10 years out..

Don't forget though, the Elite card was a pet project of Thaksin. Most of the companies' owners are Thaksins friends, that provide services for Elite members.

I was thinking about buying one just for the golf, but decided against it for one reason, without Thaksin that company is finished.

I think you would have to be completely insane to buy one of those things now, think about when the current contracts run out, it is going to be very difficult for the Elite company to negotiate new contracts without Thaksin standing behind them.

There have been stories of consulates in western countries refusing to give tourist visa as a resulf of missunderstanding of the rules, this has happened when the ocnsulate has looked in the passport and noted that the applicant has already been in thailand for an amount of Days, As a result tourist visa has been turned down becasue the consulate believes the passport holder would be staying in the kingdon to long. Thus confusing a VOA and tourist visa

Confusion reigns, that's for sure. I got myself a 2-months tourist visa (for the record: at a Thai consulate in Switzerland, my current home base) in order to stay 5+ weeks starting this past November, and asked what the situation would be if I would apply for another tourist visa for April '07. I was told that I'd only get a 1-month tourist visa (?! -- I might as well do a VOA, which doesn't set me back THB 1,500).

Actual stay doesn't count; it's the visa's validity that does (i.e. my 5+ weeks count as 60 days, out of 90).

:o

Some folks are apparently pretty worked up about this.

IMO probably better to price the visa runners out rather than legislate them out entirely. Baby steps. Up the purple ink stamp price to 2900, 3900, 4900, etc. first and see how the numbers and side effects (if any) work out first.

wow- what a situation...

amarka

Erm No.. and No..

hi...

ok then mr genius,

tell me....

amarka

I will.. Lets face it you would have to be seriously mentally deficient not to be able to outfox this superb bit of Thai legislation and implementation..

But I will still comment when I see Thais doing things detrimental to Thailand.. It may be thier country, it may be thier rules, but they are not beneficial to Thailand economically and all to simple to ignore.. Lose lose situation !!

Ohh pleeease

LiningLOS, I think your English class is ready, you'd better get back to work.

I think the value of the western farang is about to be understood.

The value of the western farang who comes here to do legitimate business or has the financial resources to obtain a retirement visa or comes as a tourist is already understood and Thailand continues to welcome them.

The western farang who hasn't the resources to do anything other than scurry across the border every 30 days before returning to some work that generates minimal income but no foreign exchange is also understood, which is why they want them to go home.

They are on the way to get rid off the "users" and other rif-raf. A retirement visa, should be affordable to the ones who real want to live here.

Stamps or days? Wait and see Lopburi, wait and see......

I hear ya Lopburi - however for someone (not me by the way) who has stayed here for years by doing 30 day visa runs, there clearly will be no difference between the number of stamps and the number of days.

Of course, there are going to be some great arguments between imm and business men who (say) come here 6 or 7 times within a 6 month period, each visit being for only a week.......

I think counting the days is gonna be a lot harder than imm imagined. Then again, TiT.

Folks, I currently have 4 marker pen entries in my passport. I was not refused entry on the fourth. The Immigration officer glanced quickly at my other entry stamps and issued a new one without comment.

From this I conclude that it is "number of days", as was clearly stated by some official about 2 1/2 months ago.

Why speculate when there is proof by existence ??

The Dweeb

i still dont see why this is such a huge problem...

i think they are right to do what they plan to do.

if your legally here, then fine. show your work permit, visa etc.

people who are here legally will have everything they need.

people who are here illegally then you deserve what you get for doing what you do.

most people here when they are back in their own country's probably didnt like all the immigrants in their own country...

look at the uk... do you agree with whats going on there??

no...

well your doing the exact same as them over here...

in the end, if they do enforce it, ( prays they do ) then the people here legally with permits, visa's etc will reap the benefits.

i cant wait for teacher wages to go up when there is a shortage of teachers...

myself and my farang girlfriend are more than laughing at this scenario...

sitting on a years permit, and a 3 year contract i dont see what we need to worry about.

apart from going with the highest bidder to hire us.

I agree with your statement, that the home countrys are doing, and why shouldn't LOS do the same! Best for all around.

The western farang who hasn't the resources to do anything other than scurry across the border every 30 days before returning to some work that generates minimal income but no foreign exchange is also understood, which is why they want them to go home.

And how about the wealthy young farang ?? Putting >2mil baht into the Thai economy per year ?? Wont marry, have money why work ??

Whats my visa class ??

Of course its not hard to scam a B visa or similar but bit of a joke no ??

No no no, you do not have to worry about anything at all. Maestro, the moderator of this forum has stated that the elite program solves your visa problem and those of other like persons. Thanks maestro, you are a tremendous help to so many folks like Livinlos. problems solved

You know.. If I actually had any faith at all in the promises of Thai systems I wouldnt mind a lifetime use and 5 years visa's for 1mil..

I dont care about golf, I dont care about the biz intros, I guess fast track immigration would be ok..

But 1 mil for lifetime 5 year visa's.. OK sure I would bite..

The the fact is its backed up by the promises of a Thai company.. who have already backed out of many initial promises (land).. And the pet project of the head waiter..

I know how much after sales service you usually get in asia, once the money is paid the service is concluded.. And I have my doubts about its lifespan say 10 years out..

I actually started coming to Thailand because of the golf. Now I am in the process of buying a condo on Phuket (off- plan - what a legal quagmire - another story).

The Thai Elite deal sounds perfect, because for an avid golfer, it makes some sense, and a lifetime of 5yr visas is enticing.

I have the same issues you relate. Just how reliable is this promise. I saw some article recently that said only 1756 (or some such number) had actually paid the million THB. Some spokesperson said that they company is liquid and viable forever. That sort of statement is usually made the week before bankruptcy proceedings begin. Also, I have not been able to determine just how secure the government underwriting of the 5*5*... visa is.

Anyway, for the time being I am still in reviewing my options, so any insights or info would be useful.

ciao

Dweeb

I think I will have to think about the retirement visa, what type of proof do I need to show i have income? just money going into a thai account should be enough! How does one get retirement income officially if only 50, most counties it 62 - 65 now unless its through a CO. ?

Dont know about your country but mine and most will give you a second passport simply.. all you need is a valid reason..

Visiting Cuba and America ?? valid reason..

Visiting Isreal and anywhere else in the middle east valid reason..

Ask your embassy this..

I must carry my passport on me at all times in Thailand correct (yes)

OK I want a Libyan visa and theres no embassy in Thailand.. It has to be posted.. Now what ??

Mine smiled and issued me a second passport..

Touch of genius..

I actually hold 4 passports but thats another story..

I am British so can only speak from a British viewpoint. Libyan visas are strictly controlled and are mainly issued to workers. Saudi Arabia do not issue tourist visas unlike other GCC states and you have to be sponsored and approved for either business or work. If you are Moslem wishing to perform either Hajj or Umrah then you are subjected to your country's quota system. If you have a Saudi visa in your passport and wish to travel to Israel then you will be issued with a temporary passport valid for 12 months, I cannot comment on the US/Cuba visa

These changes had been introduced by the immigration bureau nationally as it was felt the discretion of the 30 days stamp on arrival was being abused by foreigners trying to turn it into an unofficial residency permit.

Exit the country every 30days an unofficial residency permit? LOL

I think there is no IM class visa anymore ?? Phased out the 3 mil this year ??

Anyway I refuse to bring into Thailand anything I wont walk away from.. Letting 10 mil rot in a Thai account instead of working for me isnt how I got rich..

If I decided to buy a Villa instead of rent, again I would want more security..

And Anyway it would be cheaper (then the lost return on 10 mil) to simply have clerks make a fake company for me.. Lets face it the rules are so shoddy and full of holes anyone with an ounce of sense can get through them (clue.. Get a second passport.. wow that was tough)..

My point is they are once again acting ass backwards.. They over react to Mark Carr and invent a system they cant control, cant really implement (the days not stamps) or that actually does anything.. So very Thai !!

Why a married person can support a couple for 400k yet a retiree has to be defined by double that in assets and an age.. So someone with a grand total of 20k USD and is 51 is ideal for retirement but a millionarre at 40 isnt.. Dont follw that..

Man, do you know how hard it is to get a 2nd passport if you are Australian ? It is not a slam dunk without the right "connections", trust me.

So, being a rich bastard, I like many others, need some other simple, legal way of enabling us to live, relax and enjoy Thailand without the constant drama ofd immigration hassles.

Sorry to disappoint the less wealthy on this board, but people like us are net gains for the Thai economy as we are foreign exchange importers. There is no valid reason not to have a visa type for people like us. I am sorry for not being over 50, but that day will come, but even then, why should I put 800K THB in a non working account. Next year it may be 3m THB.

yeah, I can teach, volunteer or whatever. Actually the volunteer thing is cool - I was going to do that anyway, because I have a social conscience and truly like much of thailand, the Thais and what the country has to offer.

Anyway, what we need is the "Thai Elite" program with better guarantees. Does anyone trust this program ???? As far as I can see, one should view it as a one-time 5year visa payment with free golf. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

Dweeb.

I think I will have to think about the retirement visa, what type of proof do I need to show i have income? just money going into a thai account should be enough! How does one get retirement income officially if only 50, most counties it 62 - 65 now unless its through a CO. ?

People get early retirement for a number of reasons. Police type service normally are allowed to retire early. Military can retire even earlier than 50.

Retirement income must be certified by your Embassy with a signature notary type seal. Immigration will also have to see evidence of that income. What they will accept is up to them and most normal evidence such as pay slips/tax records and such will probably work.

i did my 3d run, since october 1st, yesterday

two things stand out in my mind:

1) when checking in on the thai side there was very little hesitancy about stamping my passport with another 30 day satmp. but, i did, somehow, have the impression that they had my history well documented on the computer. my conclusion is that it wouldn't be all that difficult to enhance existing computer programs to track the number of days a person spends in thailand.

2) while talking with one of the shop owners on the burmese side, and this will apply to the thai side as well, she asked when i would be back. i had always responded automatically, 'in a month', but this time i realized that i won't be back there for 4 months! me and several hundred other farangs are going to make a big difference in the eating habits of several thousand thais and burmeses dependent on our continuing business month after month.

there is going to be a big drop in income for the next 4 months...

I always wondered why some permanent tourists stick to their believe that the Thai economy depends on their being or not being.

The value of the western farang who comes here to do legitimate business or has the financial resources to obtain a retirement visa or comes as a tourist is already understood and Thailand continues to welcome them.

Excellent comment!

Good call! All those impoverished falang who do not have two nickles to rub together disgust me! I say, hunt every last one of the bastards down and deport them! And let's start with those ridiculous Engarishe teachers who are here LEGALLY, but have the unmitigated gall to only earn 28K per month. Bunch of deadbeat, rif-raf!

YOU ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG

The only people the Thais can view in this light are the old or the working.

I am 37, not married to a Thai, Independently wealthy, do not work here in Thailand. I return to my home country, wish to stay here for 11 months of the year. There are no provisions for this situation.

Take your blinkers off, there are more than 3 shelves of long term visitors in Thailand.

Here is another.

My friends is retired here and married. His daughter recently from the UK has had problems, so my friend has invited his daughter to stay with him here in Jomtien so she can take some time out of life. The only visa she can obtain is a 3 month tourist visa.

Her father is wealthy and can keep her financially. She will not be working, But after 3 months will need to return to England. Where is the provision for this.

This new rules will cost more than Thailand ever imagined. It will hurt many individual Thai families, local economies, business both small and large, government Tax.

Here is another.

Wealthy travelers, between commitments (maybe redundant with cash) in the west visits southeast asia with the thought of traveling throughout. Get to Thailand and decide to stay and not visit the other countries. After three months has to leave. Cannot be bothered to go back to their home country so just continue with their travels around asia taking spending money in other countries.

Here is another

Student 12 months traveling, same as above

GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE AND TRY TO UNDERSTAND THAT THE WORLD HAS MANY DIFFERNET PEOPLE WISHING TO TRAVEL THAT CANNOT NOW STAY IN THAILAND LONG TERM. And the biggest loser will be Thailand

Oh, great rich boy. Now let's see: I have a rich daddy too, but actually its much too hot in Thailand for me and I also easily get dark skin with that bloody sun shining all day long. I therefore would love to go to London, rent a litte pent house (daddy pays, okay) and enjoy the miserable whether there 11 months a year. Of course I would not even think about working, that's something for proletariats. Now tell me, can I do that? Will I be permitted into the UK for eternity just because I have some cash left over? Please understand that a british retirement visa would not work for me. First I'm only 37 and second remember I never made part of the working people so there's nothing I could retire from.

Guys please make the mirror test. Would your country allow what you ask Thailand to allow? If not then just accept it. And for gods sake, don't come with your third world bull sh... now.

And how about the wealthy young farang ?? Putting >2mil baht into the Thai economy per year ?? Wont marry, have money why work ??

Whats my visa class ??

Of course its not hard to scam a B visa or similar but bit of a joke no ??

Over 50 with 800,000 can get visa, under 50 with the same money cannot

Married to a Thai with income can get visa, GAY or not married with the same money cannot

Have a bigger income than the pension requirement but below 50 cannot

At some consulates obtaining an O visa under the age of 50 is very difficult.

Blinkers off and look, the world is bigger than the over 50 and working people

Really sad to say, sound like money can't buy everything.

wow- what a situation...

amarka

Erm No.. and No..

hi...

ok then mr genius,

tell me....

amarka

2 million per year, that's not even a nice car. You dont' think it will hurt the economy if you waste your money somewhere else?

wow- what a situation...

amarka

Erm No.. and No..

hi...

ok then mr genius,

tell me....

amarka

The farang who spends 2 million a year without doing any work is the only the top of the iceberg. The bigger part does not fall into your win win theory. And it is the bigger part that Thais will get rid of. Maybe you can look at yourself as a victim of a rule not primarly created to affect you, but unfortunately still affecting you. May it help.

The farang who spends 2 million a year without doing any work is the only the top of the iceberg. The bigger part does not fall into your win win theory. And it is the bigger part that Thais will get rid of. Maybe you can look at yourself as a victim of a rule not primarly created to affect you, but unfortunately still affecting you. May it help.

That may be true,but there are plenty of people that spend between 500,000 to a mil that will have an influence on a portion of the Thai population.

It's all academic really,as the people that make these laws (Chinese Thai??)don't want people here unless they are high end etc.They couldn't give a fat rats ar$e if there were thousands of people spending 2 mil a year.So what.Out they go.(As long as it doesn't effect them personally of course.) :o

Regarding the two passport thing... if these new visa regs are truly unjust, surely they'll (whatever country's embassy) be glad to issue you a second passport if you just tell them the truth. "I just need it to try to get around the new Thai visa runner crackdown... how much will the fee be then?"

Their choice? Their country? I am not going to go into the rights and wrongs of the new policy here as I have commented on other threads. I just want to point out that this policy is being implemented by an unelected Government selected by the Military as the result of a coup which removed from power a democratically elected goverment who had a legal mandate to govern, like them or not. The Thai people have no say in this or indeed any other law this new government decides upon.

Whos country? Whos choice?