Tips On Motivating Thai Staff

The situation is this: I am in a position of Management with a Thai Company that has international business interests, I have only just started work here (1st month) and there are various administrative procedures that need implementing as well as existing ones that need re-vamping.

I have communicated both verbally and via email to the admin team regarding these matters and to date I am still waiting for positive feedback; There is some in-fighting between female members of staff, I have been told this is due to one employee being new and older than other existing longer serving and younger employees and this new employee feels she is not getting respect she deserves as she is older. I have explained that it is because she is the 'new kid on the block' is this right?

This is having an effect on people doing what they are supposed to do.

A couple of these employees have also started to turn up for work late, with each day its getting later, should I say something? how should I approach this? I get the impression I am being 'tested out'.

The CEO (farang) is out of the office a lot and the other manager (Thai) is very laid back and although I contain my frustration, all these matters are FRUSTRATING :o

Please don't say "This is Thailand, get used to it", I am aware that Thai culture is very different and I am not trying to make it change. But, by the same token they need to understand that I have a job to do; In order for me to do my job efficiently I need everyone to be pulling in the same direction (teamwork).

I would welcome comments from Falangs in a similar position.

The situation is this: I am in a position of Management with a Thai Company that has international business interests, I have only just started work here (1st month) and there are various administrative procedures that need implementing as well as existing ones that need re-vamping.

I have communicated both verbally and via email to the admin team regarding these matters and to date I am still waiting for positive feedback; There is some in-fighting between female members of staff, I have been told this is due to one employee being new and older than other existing longer serving and younger employees and this new employee feels she is not getting respect she deserves as she is older. I have explained that it is because she is the 'new kid on the block' is this right?

A couple of these employees have also started to turn up for work late, with each day its getting later, should I say something? how should I approach this? I get the impression I am being 'tested out'.

The CEO (farang) is out of the office a lot and the other manager (Thai) is very laid back and although I contain my frustration, all these matters are FRUSTRATING :o

Please don't say "This is Thailand, get used to it", I am aware that Thai culture is very different and I am not trying to make it change. But, by the same token they need to understand that I have a job to do; In order for me to do my job efficiently I need everyone to be pulling in the same direction (teamwork).

My wife and me had a hard time bringing our office in working right, but slowly it gets better, but I can not help, beside giving you the feeling that you are not allone.

In my opinion it helps a little bit if the buerocratic steps are reduced and if there is less staff with own respondsibilities, but well.......

I have to do it, I must say it: "This is Thailand, get used to it"

Hah! If these people can ride motorbikes weaving in and out of traffic at high speed, then clearly death or the avoidance of death doesn't motivate them.

Fire them all and find some motivated Americans.

If you can show me 10 americans who speak perfect thai, would work for 8-12.000 Baht and have a workpermit.

Than OK. They can start working today.

Hi Heli,

I am in a similair position.

What I did is have a meeting with the whole team first and explained why I am in Thailand.

Yes to increase sales and reduce cost (as always).

Our customers can be divided in 4 service levels (from survey) so what I did is I developed a training program that covered those 4 levels.

Then I assesed their skills and made a "roadmap" for each one of them connecting required service level and salary.

I also made a test that requires a minimum score of 75% before going to the next level.

So now my Thai staff knows what I expect from them, they know what tools are available and they know what salary comes with that as well as carreer path.

The GM here keeps playing badminton with some customers and goes to visit temples with them but I do not care, I know he will be history some day.

Alex

Hi Heli,

What I did is have a meeting with the whole team first and explained why I am in Thailand.

Our customers can be divided in 4 service levels (from survey) so what I did is I developed a training program that covered those 4 levels.

Then I assesed their skills and made a "roadmap" for each one of them connecting required service level and salary.

I also made a test that requires a minimum score of 75% before going to the next level.

So now my Thai staff knows what I expect from them, they know what tools are available and they know what salary comes with that as well as carreer path.

The GM here keeps playing badminton with some customers and goes to visit temples with them but I do not care, I know he will be history some day.

Alex

and this worked? they now turn up on time, only have the lunch break they are entitled to, actually have some sort of work rate........................

Hah! If these people can ride motorbikes weaving in and out of traffic at high speed, then clearly death or the avoidance of death doesn't motivate them.

If you can show me 10 americans who speak perfect thai, would work for 8-12.000 Baht and have a workpermit.

No still would not employ them Filipinos much better, harder working just as vocationally skilled.

Edited by The Philosopher

Hi Heli,

Alex

Alex is right on the button they are motivated by face and money.

Head off to your nearest Regent school and hire lots of part-timers. I'm sure some luk-krung teenager would love a job and they are probably smarter than most Thais.

Head off to your nearest Regent school and hire lots of part-timers. I'm sure some luk-krung teenager would love a job and they are probably smarter than most Thais.

True words of wisdom from an obviously well educated and informed yankee fellow.

Welcome to the forum. I can see you are going to supply us with lots of valuable info.

I ran a 4 star resort and increased it to a 5 star locally, as Ops Manager and Acting GM. There are a few things you need to do first up.

Knowing their arai godai attitudes, you need to use it to your advantage.

Sit down with the HR manager and tactfully create a plan between you and him/her on how to motivate them. HR knows everyone very well. Maybe HR is in with them, maybe not. If HR is a good person, they will know to separate work from somtam and karaoke evenings with the staff.

The first meeting should have been a carrot and stick meeting. Your expectations of them and the company. Now that a month has passed, it takes another 2 for them to trust you. Workers showing later and later? Write one up, then post a memo where all staff can see stating the working hours and 3 tardiness and you get written up.

They hate it. Some will just outright go home because "their mother is sick" and never come back. Expect losses in staff. But at the end, the cream of the crop stay and you are the falang jai dee.

Come off too strong, and they retreat into their little world and smile stupidly to everything you say and nothing is done. You only have a short window to gain their trust. Strange country.

I managed between 90 and 120 depending on season. It was a tough job. But you will be surprised how soon you find out who are your friends and who are the "mafia" within the org.

Never go to a lower employee directly. Use their supervisor to get things done. Have weekly meetings with each department, alone, and give your mandates and give them the impression that it is their idea to do something, not yours.

Now, it appears that you are being tested and you are failing. They see others walking over you and they will see that you are weak, even if you are not. Occasionally, a written warning works wonders then followed with a memo. You need to do this about twice a month. They forget easily.

Teamwork works best when you are the teamleader. Leave it to them and it all goes pear shaped. It was nearly impossible to crosstrain the departments. It took better part of 8 months for all HD to agree to it. Now, after I left, and due to lack of qualified staff on the island, guess what, they are working in different departments. But after I left....sigh.

Good luck.

As in most Thai businesses, working with the Thai staff together is a hard to achieve project. When a Foreigner gets introduced to a Thai company with the messege "he is the new head" the Thais will challange you all the way through untill you show them in a Thai way that you can produce and help the company achieve the Goals as in this case you will have to show that you can achieve the Thai company gets the wanted foreign business interest. Once you have succeeded in that they will show respect.

I have seen it to many times that certain Foreigners get introduced to a certain department and failed....one slip is enough to let the gossip start, especially if you haven't been to nice from the beginning by changing rules and regulation without showing them that you can produce too. Never underestimate the Thais in their workplace. They love work more than sitting at home. Its their workplace that keeps them going, all colleges are friends. Once that workplace gets interrupted by nasty rules and regulations they will stop listening.

Keep it sweet, work like they do and dont change to much, especially if they have worked with their methods for years. Become friends with them first...once they have accepted you in full you can "together" achieve Goals. And THAN change for the better...cause once they have accepted you, you are their true leader. But not without showing them that the company needs you and depends on you to get foreign business interest going. If you have no results with getting your companies goals going, you will be at loss from day one.

Its hard however to exactly pin-point your problems as you didn't mention clearly what departments you are leading and the kind of business the company is involved in.

I took over from an Australian manager of a small resort on Ko Samui. I inherited two Thai staffers who work on the grounds and keeep the bungalows clean. My Western standards of cleanliness is higher than what the Thai's are used to.

What I do is start a job, get about 30-40 % into it knowing the Thai staffers are watching, then I hand the shovel or rake or whatever to the senior Thai staffer and ask him to finish the job and have the other guy help you (Up To You To Do It) This generally works. Also I withhold 15% of the pay each month with the promise that at the end of the year this 15% will be given in one lump sum plus a 5% earned interest. This keeps them here and prevents "run-a-ways".

I think when you show you are willing to do the grunt work as a manager then hand it over to a staffer to finish gives them a sense of self respect and they gain face as well.

There is a fine line between being "equal" to your Thai staffer yet you must always keep a respectable distance and formality being the manager so you don't lose their respect for your senior position.

Cultural differences are there but I've discovered humans are basically the same in Arabia, Thailand, or Zanbouli Land. Respecting their humanity yet letting them know you expect a high level of performance assures loyality. An occasional unexpected reward for a job well done goes a long way also. I give a 100 Baht note occasionally to good performance but I don't do it often to where it is expected. That 100 Baht as small as it is goes a long way.

Hi Coptor,

I have long years of management experience in third world countries.

First, if you ever get frustrated (or nervous) because of cultural differences then you have to consider that you are not fit for an axpat managerial job in such a country.

Second, the most common mistake i know of is of farang managers trying to apply western standards. Wether the 'standards' apply to preformance, productivity, organisation, or whatever... in Thailand (or other third world country) it is just different. You have to know and accept this.

Now what can you do get the job done properly in the company?

Forget about western standards or benchmarks ... they are way out of reach :o

Instead, consider that motivated people are also preforming people. To get employees motivated to do things right and well for you you should limit their workload and responsibilities to what they can easily handle so that they feel comfortable with it. Thai employees have a lot less productivity then western ones. Each one wil be different but in generally you will have to overstaff if you don't want to create excessive stress. This is because the capability of employees to embrace large areas of work and or responsibilities is quite limited. However, don't worry about hiring more people to further reduce stress because labour cost is only a small fraction of total cost. So overstaffing is not really a problem. Except for that it won't fit in western benchmarks and consultant's audits :D

HOwever, make it clear that there are also house rules to follow, like work times and some deadlines to be achieved. Employees who wil not match those will be laid off. Let them know that But give them better work conditions then average. Too many companies wil pay clerical staff the 'going' salary (roughly 6,000 B per month) then complain for lack of motivation. Well try to give them better the average conditions so that they will think twice before risking loosing their job. For example you can arrange an health insurance scheme for your employees and include also their family in the scheme after they have been in duty for 3 years for example. But there are many other things you can do like housing plan, school support for kids, pension plan etc... Choose that option that is financially most profitable for the company (based on tax deduction for example) Rememeber that buying power is low in Thailand and social security is non existant. So anything improving that will work. Try to make your employees happy people who think they work for the best company in town. And fire those who are never happy :D) With time you will also have the best employees in town.

I am in exactly the same situation as the original poster, Heli. My take on this is the 95 per cent of Thai's don't think of work as the start of a career - most lack ambition to better themselves and move up the ladder. There are exceptions for sure and I apologise for that sweeping statement, but I am speaking from my own seven months of experience here.

The thing is, for me at least, I have to adopt 'Western' standards because we are involved in publishing a 'Western' magazine - and the one we are licensing shortly will hopefully be the first of many.

Money isn't everything. Even with a very generous commission and easy targets most of the sales staff are falling short. That's down to their lack of ability to sell advertising in a tough sector - and it's something I am addressing.

I recent put an ad for additional staff (we're looking for 20+ in the next few months if anyone is interested) stating 'If you are ambitious, dedicated and hard-working then get in touch' ... and the sum total of replies was three!

I've been brought in the make my company an International publisher and that means adopting International standards. We will get there but it's a slow, hard process. <smiles>

Andy.

:o

We have only just moved here 3 weeks ago, my first time in Thailand, no first hand experience but I have read up a lot on Thailand, culture etc, I must say though reading about somewhere then experiencing are world apart!

"I am still waiting for positive feedback"

Hold your horses, Opie, you've only been there a month. Lower your expectations. Perhaps your ideas are bunk, and the staff is trying to save your face by not providing feedback.

I'm holding them but they be chomping on the bit :o

Perhaps my ideas ARE bunk, either way I have asked for their comments good or bad and will welcome constructive critisism, at this moment in time I would welcome ANY feedback. you are right though I just need to get in pace with them and chill a bit. Thanks

I am in exactly the same situation as the original poster, Heli. My take on this is the 95 per cent of Thai's don't think of work as the start of a career - most lack ambition to better themselves and move up the ladder. There are exceptions for sure and I apologise for that sweeping statement, but I am speaking from my own seven months of experience here.

The thing is, for me at least, I have to adopt 'Western' standards because we are involved in publishing a 'Western' magazine - and the one we are licensing shortly will hopefully be the first of many.

Money isn't everything. Even with a very generous commission and easy targets most of the sales staff are falling short. That's down to their lack of ability to sell advertising in a tough sector - and it's something I am addressing.

I recent put an ad for additional staff (we're looking for 20+ in the next few months if anyone is interested) stating 'If you are ambitious, dedicated and hard-working then get in touch' ... and the sum total of replies was three!

I've been brought in the make my company an International publisher and that means adopting International standards. We will get there but it's a slow, hard process. <smiles>

Andy.

:o

As with all learning it would be good to start at the beginning and work your way up from there.

On that note, have you considered reading the book titled "working with the Thais - A Guide to managing in Thailand" by Henry Holmes and Suchas Tangtongtavy. You can buy it in the Kinokuniya book store (top floor Isetan) in Central World.

The book is a little outdated with its pictures (1970's springs to mind) but the concept of working with the Thais, what motivates them and being their Farang Manager is well covered.

If all else fails, just bring in some kanom for them to munch on.

Edited by Casanundra

As with all learning it would be good to start at the beginning and work your way up from there.

On that note, have you considered reading the book titled "working with the Thais - A Guide to managing in Thailand" by Henry Holmes and Suchas Tangtongtavy. You can buy it in the Kinokuniya book store (top floor Isetan) in Central World.

The book is a little outdated with its pictures (1970's springs to mind) but the concept of working with the Thais, what motivates them and being their Farang Manager is well covered.

If all else fails, just bring in some kanom for them to munch on.

Thanks for the Book tip ... BTW what have you decided re your should i stay or should i go thread? :o

Thanks for the Book tip ... BTW what have you decided re your should i stay or should i go thread? :o

That would be telling but let's just say that an opportunty that satisfies both requirements presented itself whereby I am now able to reap the benefits of both worlds...

Edited by Casanundra

In my opinion, I think you should attempt to befriend your employees. Whether they are Thai or farang, a good move would be to involve yourself with their work problems. Coming late to work should not be very significant if the job is well-done. Otherwise, I think you can attempt to approach the concerned personnel personally and talk to him/her about any issues or problems they are currently facing.

By realizing you care for them and for their issues, these staff will pay more respect to you, their job, and the organization.

That would be telling but let's just say that an opportunty that satisfies both requirements presented itself whereby I am now able to reap the benefits of both worlds...

Sounds Intriguing... glad to hear you have agreed a happy medium :D