Tips On Motivating Thai Staff

Coming late to work should not be very significant if the job is well-done.

I do not agree.

How can you create a working environnement with values such like : customers satisfaction, quality, delivery time etc, if on this point you keep the "mai pen rai" attitude ?

It's a mistake. Allowing "a la carte" working hours in Thailand will be seens as a weakness from the boss. Absolutly not like a "performance management" like in Western companies.

I should add : like japanese companies, every point must should be "thought", even small one like uniform for personel for instance.

Evil lives in details. Details are extremely important in Thailand, in order to give a frame.

Evil lives in details. Details are extremely important in Thailand, in order to give a frame.

:o Took me a moment to get it cclub, sorry, the phrase is "The devil is in the details". You had me stumped there for a minute :D

I am afraid I can't help much with an office environment here but as with many things, I think alot of what you do depends on the person you are dealing with.

We have one staff who is very loyal, hardworking and reliable. We treat her very well, with praise, bonuses and days off when needed. Another staff who got the exact same treatment rewarded us, instead, with a lackadaisical attitude towards work, shoddy work and many unauthorized days off.

Taught me one thing, each person is an individual and must be treated as such.

When I newly got assigned here, I had 2 Thai staff and with the same problem. I tried (patiently) for months to correct the situation, but to know avail.

I eventually got rid of them, and then I did ALL THE WORK MY SELF.

Do you know what? My workload increased by only 20%, but my STRESS DECREASED by 80%.

Good trade off don't you think?

Take note. We were 3 in the company. I got rid of 2. My workload should triple right? Well, it only increased by 20%!

That's how inutil and useless they were!!! 2 out of the 3 people (the 2 Thais) were only contributing 20 points of work, and the boss (me) was contributing 100 points of work!

(Not to mention, my sales increased too because I could now go out "on the field" and make sales calls myself, instead of staying in the office trying to "whip" them in to shape and prevent the female one from just chatting on MSN the whole day. As for the male employee who was supposed to be "on the field", I can't help but wonder now what he was doing "on the field" before I started making the sales calls myself).

As for the comment earlier that Filipinos would be better... Well, they CAN be better but you have to pick them well.

I don't mean to be elitist or racist here but unfortunately, it's a big factor with Filipinos. They are divided into lower and upper classed Filipinos.

You can usually tell the level of education by the type of English they speak. The upper classed educated ones have an English accent which is either neutral and slightly American if not completely American.

The lower educated ones either have a thick Filipino accent or a "fake" American accent (meaning they try too hard and over-exaggerate the American accent, and it's not natural).

What is the connection? If you hire the lower classed ones in "groups", they can tend to sometimes act "union-like" and "band together" to fight the boss for higher pay etc.

One of the main reasons why many multi-national factories uprooted from the PHilippines (despite english speaking labor) and relocated to other parts of Asia was because of the culture of labor unrest, protests, strikes, etc.... and they were much more "militant" than people from other southeast asian countries.

Just be careful.

Cheers,

D

Things seem to be SLOWLY getting better, they are becoming more receptive and I am getting some feedback; I am using a lot of what i like to call KIDOLOGY; in that I am suggesting ideas that they implement and then when I ask them to make slight modifications i then incinuate that it is their own idea. Also lots of praise for the work then have do to date :o (wherever that is)

Also when a group of them disappear at lunch time I now know where they go as they invited me for the first time today! :D Naturally i went along and now I know what i'm eating for the rest of the week.

The getting in late 15 minutes is still happening so how to address that? :D I dont want to lose the small amount of trust and respect I seem to have been given to date so for now I am going to let that sit on the back burner

Update: One of the Managers has gone on leave to go 'up country' to his family for the New year, although there is a rumour around the offie that he will not come back. I'm not sure about the specific reasons but from what I can gather he had a gripe about the end of year bonus. The CEO decided that end of year bonus will be paid in the Middle of January, the reason being is that in the past they have received their bonus and not returned! The CEO has been here a number of years and his decision is not in question IMO.

All other members of staff apart from one are getting on with their jobs and are receptive to my instructions.

I have asked the CEO to deal with the one member who spends her time on messenger or on her mobile and has done done any of the tasks I have asked of her. Also she gossips endlessly and causes a bad atmosphere. Last chance saloon for her.

The CEO has spoken to her (diplomatically) today but is ready to get rid in January if there is no significant improvement. She has been here 6 months and she acts as if she has been here a lifetime.

I have asked the CEO to deal with the one member who spends her time on messenger or on her mobile and has done done any of the tasks I have asked of her. Also she gossips endlessly and causes a bad atmosphere. Last chance saloon for her.

I might be missing something here, but as a Manager, surely its your job to sort her out, I believe the expression is "you dont buy a dog and bark yourself". If the rest of the staff see the CEO intervening on what is really a Managers role, they might not have respect for you, whereas, if you do the talking, what ever the outcome, the staff will see that YOU are the manager...

Not wishing to have a go, just putting my 2 cents in

I might be missing something here, but as a Manager, surely its your job to sort her out, I believe the expression is "you dont buy a dog and bark yourself". If the rest of the staff see the CEO intervening on what is really a Managers role, they might not have respect for you, whereas, if you do the talking, what ever the outcome, the staff will see that YOU are the manager...

Not wishing to have a go, just putting my 2 cents in

I hear what you are saying and yes anywhere else I would not tolerate it; I have been in Management a number of years and have gained ample experience in dealing with staff, motivating, hiring, disciplinary hearings, firing etc. The reason for the post is to find out other posters experience in dealing with behaviour of staff staff, what is tolerant and what is not, given the small wages they get. However I am relying on advice from the CEO who, I might add Is also a long standing friend and ex-colleague; I am providing him with information and together, at this point we are deciding the best plan of action.

It is not a large company, the office consists of 8 staff and 12 field staff, generally it runs well, I have been here now only a month and as a Manager I have to assess all aspects of how to move the company forward.

I do not want to just get rid of people, I would rather try to re-motivate them and, if, after I have tried and failed then I will take appropriate action.

Hah! If these people can ride motorbikes weaving in and out of traffic at high speed, then clearly death or the avoidance of death doesn't motivate them.

Fire them all and find some motivated Americans.

If you can show me 10 americans who speak perfect thai, would work for 8-12.000 Baht and have a workpermit.

Than OK. They can start working today.

Head off to your nearest Regent school and hire lots of part-timers. I'm sure some luk-krung teenager would love a job and they are probably smarter than most Thais.

True words of wisdom from an obviously well educated and informed yankee fellow.

Welcome to the forum. I can see you are going to supply us with lots of valuable info.

:o:D :D :D

Helicopter,

If that girl will be fired in January,

You should take advantage of the OPPORTUNITY TO SHOW AUTHORITY.

Ask the CEO that YOU (helicopter) be the one to terminate her, and make sure that the rest of the staff know that you were the one who fired her.

That'l show the rest of your staff who's boss. And the next time you give an order, it's show that you mean business.

*Note: Make sure you consult with your lawyer for advise on how to legally terminate an employee. Moreover, you said you've only been working there a month... make sure your Work Permit is in order before you do the firing.

Cheers,

junkofdavid

what is tolerant and what is not, given the small wages they get

I really dont see how that is relevant, this sort of states the less money you get, the more sh*t I will put up with, regardless of the slary and / or the size of the company, you must work together to be succesful. My lowest paid member of staff earns 8,000 baht a month and she has to follow the company policy and work hard as do the rest of the team, and by doing so, she is showing me her worth to the company, not just now but in the future, promotion & pay increases.

And I agree with Junkofdavid2, you must be the one that fires her if it gets to that, however be careful you are not seen as the Angel of Death and make sure you do some positive things as well

5 easy steps.

1. Hire Thai-Chinese staff, they are on average more motivated and less "arai gor dai".

2. Spend a lot of time being "demonstrably" nice and understanding and generous, it doesnt matter if you really are, its appearances that count. Tips - buy breakfast for everyone once in a while (its cheap for the mileage you get), bring key execs out for lunch, publicly remember someone's birthday, remember, food and good humour are great tools in this culture.

3. Never raise your voice, but be firm on your requirements. You do so by communicating endlessly, and repeating yourself a lot. Smile when you are serious, and keep silent and sigh heavily when you are angry, they will get it.

4. Never take sides in their in-fighting, never get involved in gossip. Always let them know that you are above all the pettiness, and let them come to you for arbitration.

5. Reward good performance publicly, and use someone else to convey your unhappiness personally.

Once you acquire the "pu yai" status, they will move the earth for you, because in Thailand, people work for their leaders, and not companies.

Been reading this for a while now and I feel its getting worse with your managment tacktics. As you have only been there for a short time and so much has changed I dont think you will survive that long.

Should you last till next years Christmas than Dinner is on me.

Happy New Year

5 easy steps.

1. Hire Thai-Chinese staff, they are on average more motivated and less "arai gor dai".

2. Spend a lot of time being "demonstrably" nice and understanding and generous, it doesnt matter if you really are, its appearances that count. Tips - buy breakfast for everyone once in a while (its cheap for the mileage you get), bring key execs out for lunch, publicly remember someone's birthday, remember, food and good humour are great tools in this culture.

3. Never raise your voice, but be firm on your requirements. You do so by communicating endlessly, and repeating yourself a lot. Smile when you are serious, and keep silent and sigh heavily when you are angry, they will get it.

4. Never take sides in their in-fighting, never get involved in gossip. Always let them know that you are above all the pettiness, and let them come to you for arbitration.

5. Reward good performance publicly, and use someone else to convey your unhappiness personally.

Once you acquire the "pu yai" status, they will move the earth for you, because in Thailand, people work for their leaders, and not companies.

I have to agree with Raybkk. Sorry to the OP but "been in management for a while" - I'm sure, but you've stayed at the same level, I think.

Regardless, good luck and I believe that this thread from thedude has some good ideas that you could consider.

A very obvious point - Keeping money back (especially Xmas / New Year bonuses) is clearly a bad idea. This will not motivate your staff or any staff anywhere in the World. If the CEO is worried that they won't come back to their jobs then there is clearly a bigger problem that needs adressing. Just blackmailing the employees will not help the situation. Quite the reverse will be true. It looks exceptionally bad on the new manager - YOU.

(a prediction could be that they all spend the next few weeks, before receiving their January bonuses, looking for new jobs! Wouldn't you?)

The New Year update is he has NOT come back, it got a bit messy TBH and I am frustrated in that I was initially asked to deal with it, so I began to; First I asked the CEO whether he wants to keep this guy YES or NO, he said YES.

SO I spoke to the guy in question and asked what his frustrations were, he was very vague and was going on about a time some months ago (before I started) when the CEO was away on business for a week and his Thai Partner (who, BTW is financial controller) took control, it appears that she got a rush of blood to the head, started throwing her weight around and bossing the staff and generally upsetting everyone. Adding to this the bonus issue and promises that were made to him and broken, but again he could or would not give me specific examples.

The CEO returned and was and still is seemingly oblivious to the mayhem his partner had caused in his absense..Apologies for my vagueness but I am just relaying what this manager said to me. I mentioned all this to the CEO who then said 'he is playing mind games with you, the thais like to do this, stay out of it'.

The guy has not returned, the CEO is not bothered now; 'He's gone so thats it'.

The troublesome girl in the office is also being vague saying things like, 'you only been here two months, you will understand when you are here longer'

....I can't wait....

5 easy steps.

Excellent 5 steps!

I hope you don't mind me adding 2 more...

6. Create a fun working environment

7. Join in with the staff's work load - It can be hard if you are busy, but try and spend 30 mins each day with a member of staff and get involved with what they are doing. This gives you 30 minute personal time with this person and will also earn you a lot of respect showing you are willing to graft/chip in with the jobs.

I've been managing staff in Thailand for a year now and I'm sure that if you follow the above 7 points, you will see a huge improvement.

Hah! If these people can ride motorbikes weaving in and out of traffic at high speed, then clearly death or the avoidance of death doesn't motivate them.

Fire them all and find some motivated Americans.

If you can show me 10 americans who speak perfect thai, would work for 8-12.000 Baht and have a workpermit.

Than OK. They can start working today.

Well, I guess that just about says it all. You get what you pay for.

My 24-year-old Thai sis-n-law started @ B27,000 right out of university for a Thai company. Who would want to work for you?

The situation is this: I am in a position of Management with a Thai Company that has international business interests, I have only just started work here (1st month) and there are various administrative procedures that need implementing as well as existing ones that need re-vamping.

I have communicated both verbally and via email to the admin team regarding these matters and to date I am still waiting for positive feedback; There is some in-fighting between female members of staff, I have been told this is due to one employee being new and older than other existing longer serving and younger employees and this new employee feels she is not getting respect she deserves as she is older. I have explained that it is because she is the 'new kid on the block' is this right?

This is having an effect on people doing what they are supposed to do.

A couple of these employees have also started to turn up for work late, with each day its getting later, should I say something? how should I approach this? I get the impression I am being 'tested out'.

The CEO (farang) is out of the office a lot and the other manager (Thai) is very laid back and although I contain my frustration, all these matters are FRUSTRATING :o

Please don't say "This is Thailand, get used to it", I am aware that Thai culture is very different and I am not trying to make it change. But, by the same token they need to understand that I have a job to do; In order for me to do my job efficiently I need everyone to be pulling in the same direction (teamwork).

I would welcome comments from Falangs in a similar position.

You're not being tested out. You're being shown up. They are doing this to prove to you, everyone else, and (most importantly) themselves that your imagined position of supremacy in the office or anywhere in this entire country is purely farcical. Like children they will dig their heels into the ground and defy you while giving you that cutesy little giggle with a hand over their mouths. They will swap tales on lunch hour of your sordid excursions into the red-light districts. They will eventually say they saw you there with someone.

Your tale of the two women (younger/longer service vs. older/fresh-start) is classic. The older one doesn't give a rat's behind what you think the reason is. Don't you know where you are? Older is better and wiser in this country (whether it's true or not). I'd put it to her thus: In my country, I could be 25 and hiring a landscaper of 50 to cut my grass and trim my hedges. If I don't like his work he's out. Here, you'd be committing a mortal sin. You'd have to evade him, fail to pay him, until he finally gets the hint that either he's not to come around anymore or it's not worth his while. You never tell someone here they're not good enough, they failed, they did wrong, raise your voice, show anger, etc. Most of them can't handle it.

You say that you know Thai culture is very different and that you're not trying to make it change. Of course, you're trying to make it change. That is the job that you say you so desperately need them to understand. You need to make them change in order to achieve a common goal. They do understand your job and they could care less about your fate. You're trying to make them good little worker bees just like in the country you come from. They don't work like that here. Look around you. Do you frequently see impeccable attention to detail anywhere you go other than some temple carvings or rehashed past-era art? They'd rather get paid and disappear to get drunk or hang out at the mall until they run out of money and THEN go back to work. But guys like us keep coming over here trying to make them be something different, whether you're running an office, a factory, or teaching a critical thinking class at university. Of course, you're trying to make Thai culture change and if you don't see that, then you've failed to see the point. That's why it's called Imperialist Capitalism. PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh my God

Edited by Bottlerocket

I know this is slightly away from the original topic, but when I first started work here (seven months ago) I was amazed at the non-work activity happening during working time on office computers.

At the start of December we moved offices and introduced a new way of working, which included a ban on all forms of internet messengers (unless for emergencies or work use), and all forms of non-work related surfing apart from during lunch time.

I was worried how the staff would react because I know some of them spent a lot of time chatting during the day, but I have to admit I am very pleased and surprised by their attitude and they way they have adapted. They seem really committed and understand the new, more professional way of working, and I have seen an increase in productivity too.

I wonder how long it will be maintained?

You probably all are going to kill me after you have read this, but this is what I arrived at after 2 years having my own company here in Thailand and employing up to 20 staff members.

I have a company which is in one part a manufacturing company, one is a sales office for internet sales and one is a programming office, so I got all different areas under one roof.

The last two years I had tried EVERYTHING possible under the sun to motivate my staff, make them understand their responsibilities, show them a way to climb up...it might sound very frustrating but the reality is...I GAVE UP trying to find an alternative way to improve the working quality of my staff.

We tried to work in groups, have a whole range of managers through already, daily meetings and discussions, bonuses, company holidays, liberal working hours, games, karaoke....the result was that my staff stole money, gave a sh%# about working hours, were fighting with each other about absolute nonsense things, got sick every second day, starting complaining about wanting more money, even having sacked in a big bonus the day before, disappearing after getting the wages, not coming back from lunch, lying to me about work done, which had been found hidden...the list could go on and on.

Most of my programming staff (salery between 20.000 and 45.000 baht) and my office staff (8000 to 20.000 baht plus bonus) have graduated from university.....

to cut the whole story short: IT <deleted>$%#% doesnt work being nice and kind and good and hoping that some of them might finally wake up and show some responsibility for work or try to step up in their life....sad, very sad, but true. I love this country, love this people, but having to deal with them as staff is the worst nightmare possible.

Now, I copied the THAI SYSTEM and, yes, it is working if one doesnt expect too much

COME ON TIME OR YOU WONT GET PAID

BE SICK, ONE TIME A MONTH OR YOU GET FIRED

NO CHATTING ON THE MESSANGER, PHONE CALLS TO A MINIMUM

LUNCHBREAK 12 to 1, buy your meals yourself, nothing free anymore

INSTEAD OF 5 RESPONSIBLE AND EDUCATED PEOPLE IN THE OFFICE - have 15 sitting around working little and 2 supervisors checking every move

DOUBLE WAGES...no way, same as everyone else

DAYS OFF, HOLIDAYS...just the bare minimum

FRIENDS WITH THE BOSS...he doesnt want to know your name even anymore

BONUS...yes but not for staff as they would just quit anyhow

Every mistake which causes the company loss will be deducted from your wages

Climbing up the ladder...which ladder? Forget it

Constant surveilance through cam

Security guard in front of the door checking bags to reduce theft

Sounds like in a f#$#$ faschist system. But thats what I had to arrive at AFTER 2 years of company experience here in Thailand. 3 times my company almost had to close down, due to grave neglectance or theft by staff....

I wish I would have another way...

Now with the new laws and the military junta, let the economy crash, let Thailand become not any longer the country with the lowest unemployment rates in the world, let people beg for jobs like in the west...maybe then something will change...until then MICKEY MOUSE STATE...and sorry, they don't deserve it better..

Now kill me...

The New Year update is he has NOT come back, it got a bit messy TBH and I am frustrated in that I was initially asked to deal with it, so I began to; First I asked the CEO whether he wants to keep this guy YES or NO, he said YES.

SO I spoke to the guy in question and asked what his frustrations were, he was very vague and was going on about a time some months ago (before I started) when the CEO was away on business for a week and his Thai Partner (who, BTW is financial controller) took control, it appears that she got a rush of blood to the head, started throwing her weight around and bossing the staff and generally upsetting everyone. Adding to this the bonus issue and promises that were made to him and broken, but again he could or would not give me specific examples.

The CEO returned and was and still is seemingly oblivious to the mayhem his partner had caused in his absense..Apologies for my vagueness but I am just relaying what this manager said to me. I mentioned all this to the CEO who then said 'he is playing mind games with you, the thais like to do this, stay out of it'.

The guy has not returned, the CEO is not bothered now; 'He's gone so thats it'.

The troublesome girl in the office is also being vague saying things like, 'you only been here two months, you will understand when you are here longer'

....I can't wait....

Forget about the guy who left. He's gone now and you can't change that, and he's gone because of problems that we're around long before you came into the picture. The CEO sounds like a bit of an ass. Is he Thai or non-Thai?

Don't expect too much feedback in Thailand. It's generally not given. Positive or negative. (Unless you've had an appearance change, then your Thai staff will tell you aaaaaall about it, god love 'em :o ).

Don't expect much of a welcoming party either. You're a foreigner, you're different, you don't understand their ways, you expect strange things, the easiest way to deal with you is to pretend that you're not there. Don't be suprised if this is the reaction you're getting. It's a pretty xenophobic place, and you've got to be the one to break that down, slowly, with positive examples of how a foreigner handles things, instead of the usual throwing-up-of-hands-oh-my-god-these-people-are-so-<deleted>-dumb and having a hissy fit or embarassing someone (probably yourself, in their eyes), which will just reinforce their view that foreigners are jai roon roon, behave unpredictably, and are difficult to please (so-lets-not-bother-trying).

The girl who is saying 'you've only been here two months, you will understand when you are here longer' is pretty much on the money. It's the truth. How long are you in this job for? You can't come here and change everything straight away. You can't even come here and change everything in a year. You have to fit in with the system, get to know everyone, the company, how it operates, what it's problems are and how they got there. When you understand the workplace, and they understand you, you can start making changes. Not before.

Are you the only manager.. as in does the company heirachy go something like this: CEO -> manager (you) -> all other staff ?

Is the CEO someone you can seek guidance from? If there are other managers, what are the norms with their staff, eg using computer for non-office work, coming to work late etc.

In my experience it's very normal to begin the day with breakfast together and THEN start work... at about 9:30... but staff would think nothing of working on a Saturday if need be. If you start imposing foreign rules, they won't go down well. Maybe you could start work breakfasts.. insist everyone comes at 9am, and starts the day with breakfast together. Or ask them for their ideas for what to do.

The 7 tips you got above will serve you well. Try them out and see what happens. Chock dii.

5 easy steps.

Excellent 5 steps!

I hope you don't mind me adding 2 more...

6. Create a fun working environment

7. Join in with the staff's work load - It can be hard if you are busy, but try and spend 30 mins each day with a member of staff and get involved with what they are doing. This gives you 30 minute personal time with this person and will also earn you a lot of respect showing you are willing to graft/chip in with the jobs.

I've been managing staff in Thailand for a year now and I'm sure that if you follow the above 7 points, you will see a huge improvement.

Thanks listenup!

I'm working on 6 and will definitely try 7.

The thing about creating a fun working environment is that you need staff who are smart enough to understand the intention and not abuse it. Its a fine line to walk but definitely rewarding if you can pull it off. In terms of implementation i think it should definitely be a more 'advanced' step and not attempted until you have a handle on your staff and their motivations.

• 3 weeks later...

Here starteth the rant of a frustrated factory owner:

My factory has positions for 30 regular staff & 4 office staff. I pay all my staff after a grace period above award wages. I hold staff functions monthly. Unlike other companies I have a staff borrowing fund to help staff with financial dificulties (all contract signed of course).

If a factory worker needs money he will show up for work.

If he does not need money it is highly likely he will not come to work or be very late.

If he has something else to do he will do that first, even if it is only something like washing the dishes.

No amount of incentive programs (100% attendance 1 month - 500B etc) will make him come every day on time. (3 years implementation, no recipient)

Double pay only makes them lazier with reference to the opening line. (have money, not work)

The staff do not care about your business at all, even if you put profit sharing schemes under their noses. They will expect their share even when you haven't made a profit.

Does it make you wonder why so many Thai companies have security on the gates? It is to protect the business from the rampant employee theft rather from the rampagging customers.... great employee respect (not...)

Fining staff for no-shows or coming late just makes them quit.

The thai labor laws are of no assistance, an employee can take almost an un-limited number of days off, more than a months sick leave & then still request severence pay when you fire them.

Forget about investing in training (or Thailand if you can help it). All that will happen is the staff member once trained, (and has enough money) will go off to all your customers and tell them how much cheaper he can make the same quality product from his part-time - soon to become full-time business.

Forget about hassling, and harrassing the ex-staff member (even if its done by a member of the local law enforcement at your bidding) - because when you do all the other staff will quit. (mass protest)

Look to thai management style and emulate it (not): happy staff in Thailand =

- low productivity

- poor QC

- contracting customer base

- no profits

Is it any wonder that thai's are poor. All profitable business's I see in this country are run by either thai-chinese families or multi-nationals.

For anyone running a SME business in Thailand, get your radar out, the microscope going, watch your back, break out the cat-o-nine tails, don't pay salary in lump sums (hand it out in dribs & drabs, - joking...) & make sure you get all ID details from all your employees including weekly phone number updates tested in the office.

For anyone who knows a thai person (probably of chinese origin), who runs a SME, they will probably indicate all the above grievences, along with many more I havent listed. (Not just a stressed farang)

Cheers and havvagoodday,

Soundman.

you must motivate and keep them on their toes via surprise bribes

hand out 500bht discretley once in a while for a job well done

give out free phone cards

then they will keep on their toes in hope for papa to slip them a k

it sounds so stupid but it works.

you must motivate and keep them on their toes via surprise bribes

hand out 500bht discretley once in a while for a job well done

give out free phone cards

then they will keep on their toes in hope for papa to slip them a k

it sounds so stupid but it works.

Believe me, we have tried all that & more.

It does not work, the "surprise" is well received & works for about a day or two. Then everybody who didn't get a "surprise" starts getting their noses out of joint, & the moral level in the factory slips to a position lower than when the initial "surprise" was given, cliques form, gossip abounds & people start to quit.

All because you bought a phone card of 100B for a worker who put in a few days of hard work.

This scenario has happened many times in my factory.

You might say give every staff a little something out of the blue. The only problem is that they start expecting "little somethings" with greater & greater frequency. Fools gold.

Cat-o-nine tails, ball & chain, surveilance system, very loud PA speaker & good knowledge of Thai - Essan slang.

Soundman.