Criminal Background Check For Retirement

9 hours ago, chopper23 said:

To all negative members I forgot to mention that I didn't murder, rape, child molester are hurt anyone and everyone at some point in there life makes a bad judgement  in there life some get caught some don't and later I found out that the lawyer was working with the prosecutor so she can get a better deal or a murder case for another person. So for some of you members acting like you so great and mighty and perfect. Someone said if you don't something good to say then keep your mouth shut. To the positive members on this site you guys and a lady yall are the coolest members of all again THANK YOU!

You are not helping yourself by being so vague.

Were you incarcerated? Yes or No?

What was the felony conviction for? Dishonesty? Violence? Drugs?

The answers make a BIG difference. If you are waiting for the answer that you want, fine, here it is Yes, you can go and live in Thailand.  However, if you want an honest  opinion, based upon what the law actually says, then  you will need to be more forthcoming. "Bad judgement" is not a felony offense. DUI and killing someone is. Theft from one's employer is. Bank robbery is. Beating someone up is.  The fact that some people are talking out their  a$$ isn't going to change the reality. At the end of the day,  I sleep snug in my bed. It's you that has to get this right since your mistake could land you in a detention center and a deportation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

The answers make a BIG difference. If you are waiting for the answer that you want, fine, here it is Yes, you can go and live in Thailand.  However, if you want an honest  opinion, based upon what the law actually says, then  you will need to be more forthcoming. "Bad judgement" is not a felony offense. DUI and killing someone is. Theft from one's employer is. Bank robbery is. Beating someone up is.  The fact that some people are talking out their  a$$ isn't going to change the reality. At the end of the day,  I sleep snug in my bed. It's you that has to get this right since your mistake could land you in a detention center and a deportation.

8 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

If you're using Vientiane, Laos to get a Non O visa be aware that they are now requiring criminal background checks.

That is because they incorrectly using the requirements for a OA visa shown on their website.

They will accept a police clearance certificate done here though is what they told a member when he tried.

• Like 1

OP - this may have been mentioned in previous posts, not sure.  you could probably get the thai elite visa w/o a criminal background check.  flying in on a visa exempt entry plus a 30 day extension would give you plenty of time to apply and get the card.  i don't remember the cost for the long term version (20 yrs) but the 5 year card is 500,000thb.

8 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The Thailand Elite membership application forms ask if you've ever been sentenced a term in prison, this disqualifies you from becoming a member as does being bankrupt at any point.

I guess this way it excludes minor convictions where being sent to prison was not deemed necessary by a judge / magistrate, etc.

There's very little use of the concept of 'felonies' outside of the US in recent centuries, it's all about the punishment - if you were sent to prison then it matters, if not then it looks like it doesn't matter.

This is the relevant part of the form which I filled in back in 2014 :

thailand-elite.jpg

Edit : As I've noticed with immigration related matters in the past offences involving negligence are almost always excluded which I find very strange. I guess negligence is ok even if you did years in prison. I wonder exactly what negligence means in this context.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is because they incorrectly using the requirements for a OA visa shown on their website.

They will accept a police clearance certificate done here though is what they told a member when he tried.

I'd really like to find out if he was successful with a local police clearance certificate from Thailand vs from the country of residence.  Luckily I was able to get another TV (4th one from Vientiane).  I did get the dreaded black warning stamp though.

Snapseed.jpg

Edited by Roger Lee
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

I'd really like to find out if he was successful with a local police clearance certificate from Thailand vs from the country of residence.  Luckily I was able to get another TV (4th one from Vientiane).  I did get the dreaded black warning stamp though.

I don't think he has tried yet. It can take up to 30 days to get one here and it can only be applied for in Bangkok.

If you can get or have a income letter you embassy you should go to Savannakhet or Penang for the visa.

If using the 800k baht option they want proof you are retired from your embassy. The income letter satisfies that requirement.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

The Thailand Elite membership application forms ask if you've ever been sentenced a term in prison, this disqualifies you from becoming a member as does being bankrupt at any point.

I guess this way it excludes minor convictions where being sent to prison was not deemed necessary by a judge / magistrate, etc.

There's very little use of the concept of 'felonies' outside of the US in recent centuries, it's all about the punishment - if you were sent to prison then it matters, if not then it looks like it doesn't matter.

This is the relevant part of the form which I filled in back in 2014 :

thailand-elite.jpg

Edit : As I've noticed with immigration related matters in the past offences involving negligence are almost always excluded which I find very strange. I guess negligence is ok even if you did years in prison. I wonder exactly what negligence means in this context.

Thanks you so much  Ubonjoe, some of the members ask if I have been incarcerated the answer is NO!! never been to jail or prison, I had to do community service

My take from all this for the O.P. is that he can legally enter the retirement status system in Thailand but that he still shouldn't apply for an O-A visa in the U.S. 

Instead go with the common route of starting with a single entry O visa, then retirement extension. 

Once in the system there is always the chance an investigation by Thai immigration could reveal the criminal conviction, but the fact that it wasn't a violent or sexual crime, and didn't involve prison time makes it less likely that the OP would be subject to deportation.

With Thai immigration, there are no 100 percent guarantees to anyone. 

I would request that Ubonjoe comments on this subjective opinion.

Cheers. 

Edited by Jingthing

Thank You JingThing, I am coming in on a tourist visa and apply for 30 day visa and then apply for annual extension visa. My monthly income is $2300 dollars in five year $3000 dollars could I do it that way. Thanks to all the positive members. AGAIN NEVER BEEN TO PRISON I HAD TO DO COMMUNITY SERVICE 100 HOURS.

Thank You JingThing, I am coming in on a tourist visa and apply for 30 day visa and then apply for annual extension visa. My monthly income is $2300 dollars in five year $3000 dollars could I do it that way. Thanks to all the positive members. AGAIN NEVER BEEN TO PRISON I HAD TO DO COMMUNITY SERVICE 100 HOURS.

Come on a tourist visa sure but then the first step is a conversion to 90 day O visa in Thailand or you can also get a 90 day O visa in Laos or Penang. Get your income letter from the US embassy in Bangkok or Chiang Mai consulate. When you said tourist visa did you mean a 60 day visa you get in the US from Thai embassy or consulate or did you mean a 30 day entry stamp? You will not be applying for 30 day extensions. Not sure where you got that idea from.

You can also enter on a 30 day stamp but then there is more time pressure to get the 90 day O visa.

Your income is enough for the pure income method. You don't even need a Thai bank account right away for immigration purposes.

Agree that is best. Start with a 90 day O from the US and then there is only one step left being the annual extension at your local Thai immigration office in Thailand. Also of course you need the income letter from the US embassy or consulate in Thailand for the annual extension application.

• 2 weeks later...
Agree that is best. Start with a 90 day O from the US and then there is only one step left being the annual extension at your local Thai immigration office in Thailand. Also of course you need the income letter from the US embassy or consulate in Thailand for the annual extension application.

Since I had to get a tourist visa at Vientiane, Laos due to a non-O refusal because I didn't have a police check or a medical statement, what are the steps to convert the TV to a non-0? This will most likely be done locally at Jomtien. Or would I be better off going to Savannakhet? I have a nearly one month old income statement notarized by the US Consulate already.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

53 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Since I had to get a tourist visa at Vientiane, Laos due to a non-O refusal because I didn't have a police check or a medical statement, what are the steps to convert the TV to a non-0? This will most likely be done locally at Jomtien. Or would I be better off going to Savannakhet? I have a nearly one month old income statement notarized by the US Consulate already.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

To do a change to a non immigrant visa at Jomtien you would have to have the signature on your income affidavit certified by the department of  consular affairs in Bangkok.

Savannakhet is an option since you have the income affidavit. 

• Like 1

To do a change to a non immigrant visa at Jomtien you would have to have the signature on your income affidavit certified by the department of  consular affairs in Bangkok.

Savannakhet is an option since you have the income affidavit. 

Thanks ubonjoe!

How soon can I apply with certified income affidavit at Chon Buri?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Thanks ubonjoe!

How soon can I apply with certified income affidavit at Chon Buri?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

You can apply at any time during the 60 day entry from the tourist visa up to last 15 days of it or the 30 day extension of it.

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:43 AM, ubonjoe said:

You should try to get a single entry non-o visa from one of the honorary consulates in the states. Just your passport, application form and the $80 fee would be needed. List of them is here. http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

The Portland consulate has been reported as being helpful and accept mailed in applications.

You could then apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry the visa will allow.

Hello again thanks you so much for your information, I was looking on the site thai consulate here in Houston for the O non visa don't have to have a reason to go there for the 90 days like volunteer work or medical etc..

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:43 AM, ubonjoe said:

You can apply at any time during the 60 day entry from the tourist visa up to last 15 days of it or the 30 day extension of it.

Oh one more thang is do I have to book a around trip on non O Visa

8 hours ago, chopper23 said:

If you have a valid visa of any sort, you don't need a round-trip ticket.  Only if you are entering Thailand on a visa-exempt stamp.

Hello again thanks you so much for your information, I was looking on the site thai consulate here in Houston for the O non visa don't have to have a reason to go there for the 90 days like volunteer work or medical etc..

It is not unusual for consulates to not show one for being 50 or over. I suggest you contact them about getting the single entry non-o visa. I have gotten visas from them before and found them to be helpful.

No you don't. If you have any type of visa you do not need a return or onward ticket.

Sorry for my, maybe, silly question: if  understand correct, immigration didn;t keep or know if someone is a criminal or chased by police? I mean if i am serial killer i can go to the Immigration, doing what i have to do with my visa, and free to back to kill? As i wrote, sorry for the silly question

26 minutes ago, Ian1980 said:

Sorry for my, maybe, silly question: if  understand correct, immigration didn;t keep or know if someone is a criminal or chased by police? I mean if i am serial killer i can go to the Immigration, doing what i have to do with my visa, and free to back to kill? As i wrote, sorry for the silly question

If you had an arrest warrant out for you it could be flagged in your immigration record and they would get you when you went in to do something. It has happened already.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2017 at 8:34 AM, ubonjoe said:

It is requirement to get a OA long stay visa for retirement at a embassy or consulate in you home country.

See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

I'm confused. I *thought* you told me an O visa (good for a year) was sufficient for a "retirement visa". I got this below in NYC and had to show proof of income:

O.Visa.2017.jpg

2 minutes ago, dblaisde said:

I'm confused. I *thought* you told me an O visa (good for a year) was sufficient for a "retirement visa". I got this below in NYC and had to show proof of income:

Not sure how you managed to get the multiple entry non-o at the consulate in New York. They normally will only issue a non-oa that requires a medical certificate and a background check.

You could apply for a one year extension at immigration during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries for your visa if you can meet the financial requirements.

On 3/2/2017 at 8:34 AM, ubonjoe said:

>>You could apply for a one year extension at immigration during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries for your visa if you can meet the financial requirements.

What you mean by "a one year extension at immigration" is what's commonly known as a "retirement visa", right? Because that's my intention. It's where you submit a TM-7 along with SSA income affadavit from US embassy, proof of bank account (I have SSA and Kasikorn == 800K+), and perhaps something verifying residence, though I've stayed in a hotel for the last 8 years as a day-to-day so I may need something from the landlord.

I just don't want them to tell me I need an O-A.

I was told here I didn't need any "crime free" or "disease free" verification to get "resident visa" (though I'm both).

Edited by dblaisde