Thai govt will attract sport tourists to stimulate tourism

webfact

Govt will attract sport tourists to stimulate tourism

BANGKOK, 2 March 2017 (NNT) - The Ministry of Tourism and Sports is urgently stimulating the tourism revenue growth by attracting sport tourists while leading Thailand as the hub of gems and jewelry of the world. 

Minister of Tourism and Sports Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul on Wednesday spoke about Thailand's current tourism situation. She said the number of tourists so far this year was more than six million people and the tourism revenue was 318 billion baht. This year, the target tourist group is sport tourists. This group of quality tourists travel with their families, have high purchasing power and stay in Thailand for a long time to see and join in various sporting events, said the minister. 

Mrs. Kobkarn added that the ministry is preparing to lead Thailand to be the center of gems and jewelry of the world once again. Thailand has an advantage in terms of design and there are many popular places where the products are made such as Yaowarat and Charoen Krung, said the minister. 

Asian tourists, especially Chinese, Indian and ASEAN tourists, are the target group of a plan to develop the country as the gems and jewelry hub.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-03-02

Im sure those sports  tourists will love Thailand roads for "cycling" after all what could possibly go wrong.......maybe they should try running in Thailands countryside after theyve had their rabies injection and  full medical insurance in case they trip on an uneven road surface, they could try shooting, it  seems  popular here now seem to read about shooting daily  in the paper, or  maybe fencing although machetes seem more popular, maybe included in the taxi on the way to their hotel so they could make an early start??

Finally the ever  popular Thai tourist kick boxing where local Thais enjoy friendly fracas with the  tourists.

Have  I missed anything..probably..................oh  YES they could also bring their kids Thais love kids games like Blind Mans  Buff played here with a  twist at school with  hands bound as  well as eyes and of course they all enjoy a good wrestling session in class too

It's all boil down to labor costs, 10-15 years ago we had workers at our

diamonds polishing factories receiving salaries of 5,000-8,000 baht a month,

nowadays it's 3 times that much while the price of the finished gems remain

stagnated, and workers are hard to come by, so to say that Thailand will

become the center of gem and jewelry center of the world is a folly....

Can't help but wonder how some of the other more recent brilliant ideas of attracting tourists is going.

1. Durian flavoured Kit Kat's

2. Visiting rusting naval depots.

3. Tracking down Pokemon Go.

OK lets be serious for a minute then we can laugh. Thailand has how many world class sporting venues.  mmmm.None

At national level how many sporting facilities does Thailand have? A couple at best.  How many parks, sporting grounds, running tracks, has Thailand got that can be used by tourists. A few. Obviously the person at the TAT has been smoking funny cigarettes. Now I can laugh.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:.

Totally inept and unsustainable. Grandeurs way above reality. Why don't the TAT get a Dusit poll to show they are the hub of sports. I can see it now. Thailand will be hosting the Olympic Games, The World Cup and oh yes the Tour de France ... again.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Buying Gemstones in Thailand aimed at ordinary tourists, sounds great.

What could possibly go wrong with that ?

Thailand has a very very good name about gems selling to tourists...also Rolex watches or golden jewelry.

My wife inherited a bracelet from my european grandma, when i brought it to her she immediatly said that is was fake...my grandma has never known that but yes it was bought in Thailand 30 years ago.

Also the thai half marathon is very special, it can also be 30km...isn't it funny? Sporters would love to come try that...

Edited by fruitman

2 hours ago, kannot said:

Im sure those sports  tourists will love Thailand roads for "cycling" after all what could possibly go wrong.......maybe they should try running in Thailands countryside after theyve had their rabies injection and  full medical insurance in case they trip on an uneven road surface, they could try shooting, it  seems  popular here now seem to read about shooting daily  in the paper, or  maybe fencing although machetes seem more popular, maybe included in the taxi on the way to their hotel so they could make an early start??

Finally the ever  popular Thai tourist kick boxing where local Thais enjoy friendly fracas with the  tourists.

Have  I missed anything..probably..................oh  YES they could also bring their kids Thais love kids games like Blind Mans  Buff played here with a  twist at school with  hands bound as  well as eyes and of course they all enjoy a good wrestling session in class too

Spot on mate i couldnt have put it better myself.

How many tourists have you seen cycling in Bangkok?  Take a walk on Sukhumvit road at any time of the day and night observing different characters, many from Africa, and tell me if that compare with Singapore, a real quality tourist destination. 

The advantage of non quality tourism is that the money goes directly to the poor instead of 5 stars hotels and shopping malls.  When The Ministry of Tourism and Sports will understand this?

Xtreme sports tourists maybe. Come to Thailand try the Pattaya and Phuket plunge or the Bangkok bungiless bungy jump.

Maybe try out your driving skills on the Thai roads.

Why not get a kick out of being beaten up 5 on one in a street brawl.

Or get mugged by  ladyboy.

Get scammed by everyone you meet.

Why not try a jetski or a longtail cruise to an island. You may be late home for dinner, if you make it at all.

See how many drainage grates you can walk on with falling through.

Yes, Thailand is the hub of Xtreme sports even without trying.

Edited by Reigntax

29 minutes ago, yimlitnoy said:

The advantage of non quality tourism is that the money goes directly to the poor instead of 5 stars hotels and shopping malls.  When The Ministry of Tourism and Sports will understand this?

They and their cronies don't want to understand this. Five star hotel owners want to get richer and they're the people with political clout.

Thailand is genuinely the hub of Muay Thai and perhaps this is the sport they are thinking of, as its camps do attract tourists of the highest quality!!!!!

Edited by madmitch

Thailand's search for quality tourists is akin to  Ponce de León's search for the fountain of eternal youth.  It aint going to happen soon!  As one pundit said.. take care of the ones you have and the rest will follow.  Fix immigration, secure the roads, clean up the streets, clamp down on the scams, clean up the environment... and the rest will follow.

I have worked in professional sports in America most of my life..I have been exposed to modern updated professional facilities to support the needs of the professional athletes....Aside from Thanyapura in Phuket, Thailand is an embarrassment if it thinks it will attract top athletes from around the world...What a ridiculous idea of a HUB...Please go back...go way way back to the drawing board and rethink, if that's possible, what you're saying...Believe me folks..This place has a long long way to go before this idea gets off...This is just another pipe dream...Stop making stupid remarks on things that you know are currently impossible to do

Maybe a Formula 1 race on the Rattanakosin island, or the start of the Tour de France might be good ideas. Or a Standard Chartered half marathon of 30 kilometers.  How about the Futsal debacle in the newly build Futsal Arena. 

I will believe this TAT statement the day Ineptitude becomes an Olympic discipline.

How many tourists have you seen cycling in Bangkok?  Take a walk on Sukhumvit road at any time of the day and night observing different characters, many from Africa, and tell me if that compare with Singapore, a real quality tourist destination. 

The Ministry of Tourism and Sports answers like many others to a certain "interest group". That group couldn't give a "monkeys" about money going to the poor, but they have lots of interests in 5 star hotels and shopping malls...

“…stay in Thailand for a long time to see and join in various sporting events

How about wheel chair racing on the sidewalks of Bangkok and Chiang Mai?    The carnage would make Muay Thai look like tiddlywinks.

Image result for image person running into a pole

Edited by jaltsc

5 hours ago, webfact said:

She said the number of tourists so far this year was more than six million

That is 100,000 a day...........If true then they certainly did not come through Swampy............

Deluded

Deranged

Demented

Desperate

Dazed

Disturbed

The list is endless........