The battle to save Bangkok's 'Green Lung'

webfact

The battle to save Bangkok's 'Green Lung'

Reuben EASEY

AFP

Bangkok (AFP) - Leaping out from Bangkok's vast concrete sprawl is a kidney-shaped green space, home to hundreds of plant and bird species, and where cars are outnumbered by bicyles.

But residents and campaigners fear the unique ecosystem and character of the city's so-called "Green Lung" is under threat as developers lure locals with lucrative land deals.

Bang Krachao is an artificial island formed by a canal and a bend in the meandering Chao Praya river.

The area stands apart on Google Maps: a swathe of greenery in an otherwise concrete jungle of traffic-choked streets, towering condos and sprawling factories.

Full story: https://www.yahoo.com/news/battle-save-bangkoks-green-lung-041306432.html

-- YAHOO! NEWS 2017-03-02

I've been bicycling through the area for a few months now, and it's appalling how much new construction is going on.  I'd give it a few more years and it'll be just another BKK concrete slab, with even worse traffic than the rest of Bangkok because they're trying to perpetuate the illusion that it's a protected area and they're not widening the 1-1/2 lane roads.  Fine for scooters and bicycles, but a few cars could gridlock a lot of the roads.  

Given the degree of government corruption leading to both knowingly and unknowingly illegal development in many of Thailand's "green areas" including the construction of wats, homes and hotels, Bang Krachao seems a likely candidate for the same. The Prayut Government should investigate the legitimacy of land deeds and construction permits for Bang Krachao.

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Given the degree of government corruption leading to both knowingly and unknowingly illegal development in many of Thailand's "green areas" including the construction of wats, homes and hotels, Bang Krachao seems a likely candidate for the same. The Prayut Government should investigate the legitimacy of land deeds and construction permits for Bang Krachao.

Better do it quick.  Even if they tear down the encroaching development, most of the damage has already been done- and it can't be undone in our lifetimes.

I thought the Royal family owned a huge part of this area. There was even a Thai Visa story on how it will be protected a few months ago ( I can't find it now). This is really a great FREE area to visit and just a boat ride across from the Klong Toei slum ( which is an interesting area to bike around on the way to Ban Kra Chao). This is an area that really should be protected. I hope someone stands up and fights for it. 

I'd also add that, if you haven't been bicycling there, it's a great place.  I procrastinated for years but loved the place when I finally threw my bike on a 20 baht longtail from the Khlong Thoei port.  No bike?  There's hundreds for rent right at the pier.  Don't like to pedal or sweat?  They rent scooters and it's as safe a place to ride a scooter as any I've seen.  Two beautiful parks (one's a Siamese Fighting Fish exhibit) within a 3 minute pedal or 10 minute walk from the landing and a very popular "floating" market about 20 minutes in by bicycle.  (I'm not a fan, but 10,000 people can't all be wrong)  Lots of riverside temples, and no lack of places to get a bite or a soft drink.  Lots of families with their kids on bikes.