Retirement Visa / Credit Card Question

I am thinking of getting a credit card from Bangkok Bank ...

If I want 800,000 Baht credit I need to deposit 800,000 Baht in an account .

Can this account be used as showing 800,000 Baht for my Visa renewal ? 

Thanks in advance 

Good for you if you were able to get the bank to understand that you want a prepaid credit card. I've found there are many advantages to having a prepaid credit card in Thai Baht. I could tell they don't get that question from Thais. I went to several banks and each required different amounts of minimum deposit guarantees. From what I gathered with lots of misunderstanding is that the deposit is frozen and to use the card for credit you have to deposit more money and recharge as you use the card. So the argument could be that if you could get the bank to give you a letter of deposit it might work but you also might be the first to ever try this.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I normally just use my debit card .. but as I need to have 800,000 in an account and if this were accepted by immigration it would give me more flexibility ..

I assume the account would be linked to my current account which would be debited monthly for any outstanding balances .. 

The bank said interest was 1.2% , I think , on the account .

" I assume the account can be closed and funds used .. "

Yes, but I just doubt if that can be accomplished in a single day.

Besides, if it looks in any way like something other than an ordinary savings account or fixed account then it is very likely that an IO would say no.

3 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Not immediately. The account is used as security for CC transactions and even when you cancel and return your CC, the bank will wait for some time (2-4 weeks) allowing for outstanding transactions to arrive.

Furthermore: with my SCB CC, I did not get the passbook, it is stored with the bank, therefore I can NOT use this fixed acct for retirement purposes.

The CC is linked to the savings acct for direct debit.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Oh well .. Just a thought ..

I have to go to immigration next week anyway so will see what they say  .. 

Edited by churchill

You are talking about getting a "secured" credit card...secured by the deposit you make....but that account tied to your credit card would be locked for credit card possible speeding.  Therefore the funds are not readily available which is a requirement for the extension of stay approval.  Seriously doubt that's acceptable to immigration.   

You are talking about getting a "secured" credit card...secured by the deposit you make....but that account tied to your credit card would be locked for credit card possible speeding.  Therefore the funds are not readily available which is a requirement for the extension of stay approval.  Seriously doubt that's acceptable to immigration.   

I did my 1year last month went to explain BKBs new system ,but the Officer said OK ,we know all ready,it's Fine.Only got a card to get my Passport ,don't like them much

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

33 minutes ago, chanwit said:

The banks told me I can cancel the credit card and retrieve the security deposit anytime.

And I think you will find there will be an approx 30 day delay after card cancellation in order to get all the money as the bank wants to ensure no late arriving credit card charges arrive after the date of card cancellation.

Also, if the letter the bank provides for the annual extension of stay or the passbook does not provide any indication the funds are locked/not immediately available, I don't see how immigration would know it's any different than a regular savings account.    

Edited by Pib

I have a BBL credit card secured with a fixed account (less than 800000 TB). The bank book is a normal fixed account book and I have full access to the funds, of course I must meet the terms of a fixed account (loss of interest if withdrawn before the maturity date) as well as the card would be canceled if I withdraw all the funds. As far as immigration is concerned it is a normal fixed account. 

• Like 2

I have a BBL credit card secured with a fixed account (less than 800000 TB). The bank book is a normal fixed account book and I have full access to the funds, of course I must meet the terms of a fixed account (loss of interest if withdrawn before the maturity date) as well as the card would be canceled if I withdraw all the funds. As far as immigration is concerned it is a normal fixed account. 

That's interesting, will visit the bank tomorrow to request for a CC.