Looking for a worthy cause in Chiang Mai

DumbFalang

Yesterday the wife's sister took some of our Strawberries to an abandoned kids home in Pattaya and I am looking for a similar worthy cause in Chiang Mai.

AbandonedKids.jpg

Doesn't have to be kids - just any worthy organisation that would allow us to give away our Strawberries this afternoon. I look forward to your suggestions ;-)

3 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

If you are promoting and distributing your strawberry's all over Thailand for free, you must have a reason for doing so. So what is it? Genuine charity from the goodness of your heart or touting for business?

You're such a killjoy, aren't you?  Why find fault with someone who is in the business of growing such beautiful strawberries and wants to share them with a worthy charity or group at the high of his harvest?  Also, it gives us a chance to learn about organizations worthy of our support from other ThaiVisa.com members who are more involved in the community than you.

Now, back to the OP.  Perhaps if you have some kindness and available strawberries again, you could consider sharing them with the elderly.  You have the multi-national folks at Dok Kaew Assisted Living Center http://www.mckean.or.th/service/dok-kaew/  at McKean  and in the S.E. corner of the Old City, a Thai gov't facility for the elderly, Ban Tammapakorn,  http://en.gplace.com/ban-thammapakorn-chiang-mai-elder-aid-center

37 minutes ago, NancyL said:

You're such a killjoy, aren't you?  Why find fault with someone who is in the business of growing such beautiful strawberries and wants to share them with a worthy charity or group at the high of his harvest?  Also, it gives us a chance to learn about organizations worthy of our support from other ThaiVisa.com members who are more involved in the community than you.

I`m not finding fault in anyone, I asked a perfectly straight forward question. My experience of Thailand, this is the land where no one does anything for nothing, there is usually a method behind it. Before I praise the OP for being so generous I would like to know is this for charitable or business purposes? Or is he promoting or just advertising his good deeds?

My girlfriend wants me to buy a lum yai farm and would be interested how the OP gets around the legalities if he is running a fruit growing business. 

14 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

If you are promoting and distributing your strawberry's all over Thailand for free, you must have a reason for doing so. So what is it? Genuine charity from the goodness of your heart or touting for business?

a   dIspicable  view from a  ??? ,  take heart D/F,  not to many  of these ???around

9 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I`m not finding fault in anyone, I asked a perfectly straight forward question. My experience of Thailand, this is the land where no one does anything for nothing, there is usually a method behind it. Before I praise the OP for being so generous I would like to know is this for charitable or business purposes? Or is he promoting or just advertising his good deeds?

My girlfriend wants me to buy a lum yai farm and would be interested how the OP gets around the legalities if he is running a fruit growing business.

,just poor  buttering up,   your previous post,  which was absoulately dispicable to a very honourable gesture by D/F

from your posts on the board, you certainly appear to know everything

AND

now you have the audacity,   to ask  D/F,   for his assistance in legalities of his business set up etc etc, you certainly got some front

its a True Colours  good morning to all

6 minutes ago, evenstevens said:

a   dIspicable  view from a  ??? ,  take heart D/F,  not to many  of these ???around

,just poor  buttering up,   your previous post,  which was absoulately dispicable to a very honourable gesture by D/F

from your posts on the board, you certainly appear to know everything

AND

now you have the audacity,   to ask  D/F,   for his assistance in legalities of his business set up etc etc, you certainly got some front

its a True Colours  good morning to all

Hard to believe but I agree with you!  1508537.GIF

Yes, this is one of the rare times when I agree with E/S, too.  If Cyberfarang lives in a Thailand where "no one does anything for nothing", then it's probably because he himself "does anything for anyone for nothing".

I know many, many people, both Thai and foreign who go above and beyond frequently to help others.   I've often been delighted in the kindness shown me by Thai people who have given me favors, large and small, without expecting anything in return.  And come to think of it, foreigners, too.  Sometimes Hubby and I come home to find someone unknown to us has left a treat for us by the door of our condo, without any clue as to who in the building (or who got access to the building) left some nice food treat, homemade soap, or download of a movie we'd like.  Of course, Cyberfarang would probably be cynical and say we shouldn't eat food from unknown sources, the soap indicates we need a bath and we shouldn't watch bootleg movies.

I have a business outside of Thailand that provides me with enough money to live a comfortable life in Thailand. The fruit farm is my wife's business just in case I snuff it prematurely ;-)

The Strawberries are, to my knowledge, the only ones grown in Chiang Mai without the use of dangerous pesticides. That makes makes them special to me and I'd rather give the ones we can't sell away to needy people than turn them into Conserve.

I totally understand the scepticism of giving them away - I'd be scepticle too. All Thai Visa members are welcome to come and meet me and the missus at the farm and hopefully anyone that does would be able to judge for themselves if we are charitable or not.

I'm trying to arrange an open day for Thai Visa members as soon as Strawberry season is over and we have some spare time. You can have a free for all on the Mulberry and Lychee trees. Plenty of other interesting plants too - if you're into that sort of thing.

sorry about my slow responses - we are mad busy.

I would also like to see the operation there..., when I'm next in CM.
I have had my own small organic farm back here in Farangland for many years..., and I used to be interested in getting a place somewhere just out of CM to grow fruit and veg....., but I'm not so keen on the less than clean n green environment there..., and potentially, some law and/or envious neighbour stopping me from working on my own patch of dirt.
Good luck to you mate.

Op good to see what you are doing.

Many people like cyberfarang, selfish and always trying to put down other peoples generosity.

Recently a TV member jpduggan posted about wanting to help hill tribe people.

Some members ridiculed him about his plans.

Well for all you selfish buggers, he has helped a hill tribe village, given a lot of much needed things to poor people.

Well done Jim.  I have ireceived photos of his good deed.

OP keep up the good works ignore negative people who only think of themselves.

On 3/4/2017 at 6:51 PM, canthai55 said:

Would like to see your operation. With a bunch of TV posters ... that I do not know 555

Not a problem. It is a 'closed farm' in that we do not allow random tourists to go in and pick fruit as they bring along diseases from other farms they may have visited (let alone eat fruit without paying for it and toss the ones they pick that don't meet their strict criteria).

PM me or InBox the missus on her Facebook page and we'll gladly give you or any other TV member a tour.

4 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

I would also like to see the operation there..., when I'm next in CM.
I have had my own small organic farm back here in Farangland for many years..., and I used to be interested in getting a place somewhere just out of CM to grow fruit and veg....., but I'm not so keen on the less than clean n green environment there..., and potentially, some law and/or envious neighbour stopping me from working on my own patch of dirt.
Good luck to you mate.

You can overcome all of those hurdles if you know a few good people and have a respectful attitude towards the locals. Come and visit us and we'll see if we can help.

We have 'adopted' a young Tai Yai family and a hill tribe family. Many months after we provided the hill tribe family with a rent free home and a rai of land to help with their business, they are still totally confused as to why we do it. Apparently we treat them better than their own families do, when in reality all we do is treat them as equals.

Our young Tai Yai couple just had a baby in January and have presented us with a bit of a dilemma. We want them to stick together as a family but they are thinking about sending the baby back to Mum in Burma. Since our 4 kids left home a couple of years back, we tend to interfere in other peoples lives a bit (where kids are involved) so we are trying to keep our opinions to ourselves this time. We are going to start a new farm for them in April/May and provide them with the materials to build their own home. They currently live in a 'box' among other Tai Yai in the village so hopefully a new home might affect their decision positively.