Koh Phangan rogue cop returned to island "on holiday" after being given "inactive post" for extorting tourists

webfact

I am married to a Thai, lovely lady and still happy, from Buri Ram in 2013  and visit Patttaya often when I go to Thailand. I met her in 2013. She now lives in Australia with me since then. At times I thought of living longer in Thailand and buying a business BUT after 2 years of reading all this corruption and so called inactive posts etc etc and Rich Ferrari sh..t being able to kill some cop a couple years ago and get away with it, or a Buddha who flys in a Jets charged with corruption, takes 2500 law officials to surround a temple and thats when he isn't even there etc etc etc. I would have to be brain dead or insane to invest 1 bloody Baht in this country, So good luck to Thai's future economy and  Gross National Product especially when it relies on tourists and Falang married to Thai sending family money. Exchange rate currently 26 Baht to $1 Au . Should be 90 Baht to $1Au  based on this Thai system.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

"The case has forced the chief to admit there are some bad apples in his barrel but he claimed that "almost 100% of his force were upstanding honest cops"."

Those so called upstanding honest cops are anything but simply because they know who the corrupt ones are but do nothing about them. Upstanding and honest is not about turning a blind eye to corrupt partners. Absolute and total reform is the only way to change the RTP.

Serpico?

7 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

Absolutely, TAT should go and witness for themselves the queues at the "Visa on Arrival" counter in Hanoi or HCMC.

Plus the visa process is easier (if you need a visa to enter), very easy application on-line normally approved within 24 hours. 

Isn´t this what we hear about every week now? How would it be with a real investigation into the force, when the ruling government already know how bad it is?
This is just one of the things that has to show itself in the light. Wouldn´t it be better for the image of Thailand, if this was taken seriously and looked at before a loss of face is created?

Does anybody else see the parallels between how Roman Catholic Church authorities used to deal with complaints by members of the public about instances of paedophilia or sexual abuse involving their priests and Royal Thai Police authorities' usual responses to complaints by members of the general public about illegal activities by their representatives in the field?  

Villainous priests removed to other posts were able to continue on their merry venal ways.  Only the victims of their hypocrisy suffered any consequences.  The Church did not care about its obligations or resposnibilities.

It took a generation or two but recently the Church looked around and realised nobody wanted to become part of their parishes any more; any moral authority,  integrity or community influence the church once enjoyed as a public institution had just about disappeared.  Any trust or faith had virtually evaporated in communities where it counted.

How long before the Police and responsible authorities in Thailand recognise they're on a downward spiral in their own society and will, eventually, have to confront the illegitimacy of their arrogance and deal with harsh consequences they could have easily avoided simply by fulfilling basic community expectations?

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

Tourism operators on the island said that the gang were well known and several of them had been let out of jail after serving time for drugs offences and attempted murder. They were in league with the rogue cop - named as Suriyan Ranjuan or "Jiap" in extorting tourists in drugs deals.

Just how much jail time are these low-lifes being given? I have a feeling it depends how much money you have and how much "pull". The Thai police love to make an example out of some luckless falang caught with a few ecstacy pills or a half ounce of marijuana, by giving them what amounts to a life sentence, but a Mr Big caught with a pick-up load of yaba is out in 6 months.

small crime is punished hard big crime is paid off , what is new?

small laws are enforced big laws ignored

making to much fuzz over small things

and avoiding all big problems, ,Thai style!

talking b******t on tv every day , about changes that will never happen

highest mountain in thailand not "doi Inthanon , but the huge mountain of  b******t spoken on TV

The locals on Phangan said he was well known for being involved in many cases there.

Apparently a heavy criminal known for years.

Specialized in kidnapping, blackmailing, extorting and drug trafficking.

Why this scum sit not in prison?

Only because he wear a royal police uniform?

Disgusting.

Thailand really need to build up a new police force.

Same old story.It goes to the top.Put in inactive post.Dont say we are also involved.We send you to the mainland.People forget about you in a couple of weeks.Then you can come back.I hope the people who comment on here about crime being the same in other countrys.Read this.Crime the same.Justice is not.There is only justice for farangs etc etc.And some of them have done nothing wrong.And he,s given flowers for what.young people dont care about danger.Untill it happens to them.You will hear no more about this case.As normal .It will be coverd up.How many thousands put it down to bad experience.Say nothing and leave.And this is the best way.How about the other way and complain.You can end up in a thai jail for 2 years waiting for a court case.False evidence against you.Us ,older.more wiser .We try to warn you.It did not take long to catch them.Because they knew who has always been doing it.only that its in the western media.they try to show that the culprits have been caught.and now it is all safe to go back.BE WARNED.

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yet more proof that the admin of BIB has absolutely no genuine or serious interest in cleaning up corruption within their ranks. Look at how they (did not) handle this guy.

Always inactive posts. Almost never prosecuted and sent to jail. Why???

And you'll notice, we almost never hear of what happens to these guys AFTER they're sent to inactive posts. It's not like they stay there forever. Probably in most cases, a brief cooling off period and then back to robbing, stealing, extorting, etc.

They probably hold off with prosecution as the bent cop would sue for defamation.

5 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

What the heck?? Can I believe this absurdity?

This criminal given a pat on the back asks for holiday time (!!) instead of being hauled off to jail in chains as an example of what the upholders of law and order cannot do!

The chief of police has the bl**dy nerve to state his rotten cops are fine upstanding honest men.

You (pay to ?) become a cop in Thailand to soak the locals and foreigners and enrich yourself. 

Every single day we see examples of what a totally lawless country this is. 

Hang on a minute. I thought Thailand was a bastion of virtue and Buddhist values. And all the women are virgins. Thats what the TAT brochure says anyway. 

At  face  value  this  story  does indicate  a  very  sad  lapse  in the  system. 

But to my thinking there  is something  missing  in the true  details. Probably  never  to  be  made  known despite the offered story  that  a policeman removed  from  active  duty  was  given leave to  take   " holiday  time"  to return  ( in uniform or  not???) to the location where his  activities leading to  the original cause  to  be made  inactive  whilst being under investigation.

In  any event  this  definately is  a situation  that  deserves   very  very  much  public expctions.

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

Agree; jailed.

IMHO, in many situations, police who break the law should be subject to higher penalties. Interested to hear what others think. 

ALL the islands, especially the smaller ones, ARE literally the Wild Wild West, with police and mafia and drug dealers ALL in bed with each other (and it's the same on our island as well, the cops supply the drug dealers and accept bribes from them, and a former VERY high-ranking official from two other nearby provinces who owns property here is involved with importing massive quantities of "ice", heroin and other drugs every week )

and the FUNNIEST (and most untrue) thing i've heard in weeks (quote from OP): 

Chief Apichart said all resources were being employed to hunt him down. "There are some rogue policemen in the Surat force," he admitted, "But almost 100% of my men are upstanding honest cops doing a good job".

He said anyone found guilty of misdeeds would be prosecuted with the full force of the law without fear or favor.

:laugh:

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The locals on Phangan said he was well known for being involved in many cases there.

Apparently a heavy criminal known for years.

Specialized in kidnapping, blackmailing, extorting and drug trafficking.

Why this scum sit not in prison?

Only because he wear a royal police uniform?

Disgusting.

Thailand really need to build up a new police force.

in Chiang Khan 2 years ago, i was partying with several Thai friends (including a very rich guy whose father is a big executive of a major bank) for a week; on the 3rd day, a big cop from somewhere in Isan (i know where, but will not identify) came and joined the party- first thing he said, in Thai, was (and my friends translated just in case i didn't understand, but i did) "I am big Thai police, police here in Thailand can do ANYTHING under the sun"...

he was a gregarious and extroverted guy, we had oodles and boodles of fun partying (drinking, eating, laughing) together-

after several days of partying, we went 30 km away, just over the Lao border (i know, because my Thai cell phone wouldn't work, no signal, but will not further identify who, what, where, etc) and continued the party; after several hours, the Lao boys we were partying with left, and most of us went to sleep- several hours later, in the middle of the night, we were all woken up and were told we had to go immediately- i was told later by the friend that had originally brought me to Chiang Khan that there was a big drug deal that the cop & the rich guy had orchestrated together, and since we were all in the same vehicle, we had to leave when the deal was concluded...

here on our island it is just as bad...

10 hours ago, BrainLife said:

Cops do not get prosecuted or jailed for the simple reason they know too much about other bad cops. The only other option is death by cop to silence a caught one, which is also bad for the cop mafia.

Yeah. Wondering if this latest 'polly' gunna squark or croak.

Almost every cop I met were corrupt.  They always try to find ways to get money off me instead of issuing me with an official ticket.  So what else do they do that is corrupt?  Extortion?  Kidnaping?  Protection of criminal activities?  Illegal drugs?  Gambling den?  Where does the corruption stops???

1 minute ago, ThaidaGwaii said:

Almost every cop I met were corrupt.  They always try to find ways to get money off me instead of issuing me with an official ticket.  So what else do they do that is corrupt?  Extortion?  Kidnaping?  Protection of criminal activities?  Illegal drugs?  Gambling den?  Where does the corruption stops???

When does the general impose 44 and start a completely new RTP with completely new modern policies and practices, and punish and offenders with 1 strike your in jail?

4 hours ago, jenifer d said:

ALL the islands, especially the smaller ones, ARE literally the Wild Wild West, with police and mafia and drug dealers ALL in bed with each other (and it's the same on our island as well, the cops supply the drug dealers and accept bribes from them, and a former VERY high-ranking official from two other nearby provinces who owns property here is involved with importing massive quantities of "ice", heroin and other drugs every week )

and the FUNNIEST (and most untrue) thing i've heard in weeks (quote from OP): 

:laugh:

And don't expect any follow up by the newly reformed, and now more professional media!

16 hours ago, scorecard said:

Seems this cop and his history of similar illegal activities is well known to the local folks and to the police.

Obvious question: why was he not arrested, investigated, seriously punished (if guilty) years ago?

Seems that his supervisors are also need to be investigated and punished, perhaps even more seriously punished in terms of serious  dereliction of their force management responsibilities. 

Of course the 'overseers' need incrementally bigger punishments !

But they all need Real wages.

Wages that make "the Risk" less enticing.

But that may affect the power and wealth  of the Oligachy ....

well i have to say that i personally know a few absolutely honest cops but the rest seem to belong to a totally different class of cop who think that because of their position that they are totally immune  from any sort of repercussions when they break the law ,this guy seems to be sticking two  fingers up to the entire police force an to thai law 

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The chief said that most problems on the island stemmed from the

inability of Thai police to administer justice to their own.  This story shows the value of 'inactive post' punishments.

23 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

Another Detriment for travel to The Land of Smiles. Soon stories like these will become more and more in the forethought of people looking for an island holiday. With Cambodia and Myanmar getting their act together attractive alternatives will be presenting themselves with increasing frequency. Will the Thai authorities wait until numbers drop like a rock before attempting real change?

Thai authorities (RTP) are the reason why the tourist number drops, as long as they can keep on with extortion and ripping off tourists they don't want to change anything. 

Agree; jailed.

IMHO, in many situations, police who break the law should be subject to higher penalties. Interested to hear what others think. 

Absolutely so! Otherwise how can we feel safe. We employ these people to serve and protect us. Why should they be treated more favourably than an ordinary citizen, in fact the punishment should be double that of anyone else.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Archived