Virus protection

Spaniel

8 hours ago, Chicog said:

Avast only recently - and not for the first time - screwed up lots of PC's with a broken update (threads are here).

Avoid them.

Maybe this will help.

https://www.thebalance.com/best-free-antivirus-1356634

This past month, I had a problem with Windows Update not installing.  Every time I opened my computer, it would start the update download and install, but never complete it.  Finally solved it with a system restore and turning off updates.  I do use Avast AV.  Could this Win 8.1 update problem have anything to do with the Avast broken update you mentioned?

I haven't had any extra anti virus protection since Windows 8. 

Have now Win 10. 

Windows defender is enough for me. 

But can understand if one is unshure if downloading lots of freewares....?

Edited by hakancnx

Free versions can be fine for many people, but I find that it's cheap enough to get better anti-virus protection with quite a few more features for very little money. I tried Avast, and although pretty good, there were far too many false positives for me. 

Here's the most recent ratings from PC Magazine:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

I use Norton and I'm very satisfied. I've also used Kaspersky and liked it, as well as Bitdefender which I liked, but for me, it increased my boot-up time from about 30 seconds to about two minutes which was completely unacceptable. 

If you find the Thai download site for the various antivirus vendors, the prices will be considerably less than the US or European sites. For example, Norton (Thailand) Security Deluxe charges 2199 THB (approx. $62 US) for two years and 5 devices, while the US site charges $99.99 US for the same product.

http://buy-static.norton.com/norton/ps/3up_th_en_navnis360_brandnfr.html?om_sem_cid=hho_sem_ic:th:ggl:en:b|kw0000004480|177109601244|c&country=TH

1 hour ago, helloagain said:

Google your question and up comes kaspersky. Best for the last 3 tears. If you mean free then google it. Use with adwarebytes

Ive been using Kaspersky for the last 4 years, no problems and doesn't slow down your pc or try to control all your web use & programs like the dreadful mcafee & Norton does.

AVG acted like it was a virus itself and blocked my computer from working. I had to turn the power off to get rid of whatever it was doing.

Foolishly trying to download Baidu wifi app resulted in all sorts of unasked for windows opening up all the time. I found out about it by using Exterminate it, deleted the files from the registry myself which is always a delicate procedure.

4 hours ago, hakancnx said:

I haven't had any extra anti virus protection since Windows 8. 

Have now Win 10. 

Windows defender is enough for me. 

But can understand if one is unshure if downloading lots of freewares....?

I havent had any virus protection since I moved to apple mac. Once you have mac you will NEVER go back

Avira was good ... but for us still holding on to winXP , avira is leaving us in the cold. They don't support XP anymore while their older free software still works , but you can't update the vdf ( virus def files) anymore because avira doesn't allow license renewal.( they do have the new vdf files available for download, but the manual update says license expired )  The trick of replacing the hbedv.key file with a new one ripped from a new installation package , doesn't work anymore.

Contacting them via email , they respond by lying and telling that they refuse to give another key file , which is a < 1 KB file , easily modified by them to extend the free license.

So I'm looking too for a new free AV which supports XP sp2 .... AVAST should?

20 hours ago, dddave said:

This past month, I had a problem with Windows Update not installing.  Every time I opened my computer, it would start the update download and install, but never complete it.  Finally solved it with a system restore and turning off updates.  I do use Avast AV.  Could this Win 8.1 update problem have anything to do with the Avast broken update you mentioned?

Over the years I've had a few experiences with MSE (I assume that's what you're referring to) not wanting to successfully finish  downloading a regular update.  It's always resolved itself over the course of the next few days or after the next round of monthly update.   (Win 7)

I use MSE + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro + Spybot S&D (free) + WinPatrol (free) + CryptoPrevent (free).   If anything happens that raises a red flag with me, I'll do a full MSE scan immediately and then perform one or two "online" AV scans from reputable providers.  Your single most important defense however is keeping Windows itself, as well as some key apps (e.g., Adobe Reader, MSOffice, browsers), updated/patched.  To a hacker, security update releases remove vulnerabilities but are also an announcement and an opportunity to target users who aren't prompt in installing their updates and companies that need time to test the updates before rolling them out.  The hacker now KNOWS the vulnerabilities that at least DID exist the day before the release of the updates and can pretty safely assume some users will be pokey about getting the updates installed.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:50 PM, Chicog said:

Avast only recently - and not for the first time - screwed up lots of PC's with a broken update (threads are here).

Avoid them.

Maybe this will help.

https://www.thebalance.com/best-free-antivirus-1356634

I use Avast for years and have never had, up till now, any problems with them.

That said, Avast has now a lot of extra baggage which I uninstall and only keep the shields and the scans.

If you keep all of it Avast will reduce your PC to a crawl.

All anti-virus and firewalls have problems for that matter.

Anyway, thanks for the link.

16 hours ago, cooked said:

Foolishly trying to download Baidu wifi app resulted in all sorts of unasked for windows opening up all the time. I

BAIDU is a really nasty app. If they have your credit card #, they will open accounts for all sorts of paid services like enhanced listings without asking permission.  Very difficult to back out of as well.  All the servers are in Eastern Europe and the site is owned by a shadowy Russian.