Divorce Lawyer Recommendations

Biker Boy

I am preparing to file a divorce in Thailand and am searching for a lawyer. I would like a lawyer that  has a mastery of the law, can navigate the system, access data relative to the case and is easy to work with. Most importantly, I am not interested in high dollar international legal firms. Have consulted a number of them and their fee structure is ridicules. and competency is questionable in some cases.

Any help would be much appreciated including both good and bad experiences. Thanks in advance to any of you the chose to help. Much appreciated.

Edited by Biker Boy

May I give you one bit of advice mate.....whichever lawyer you choose to represent you just make sure you have got a "good" interpreter that you can trust, because it is so important for you to understand what is going on and to be able to get across your thoughts and feelings, to both your lawyer and the court.

HL

Edited by happylarry

On 3/4/2017 at 4:04 PM, happylarry said:

May I give you one bit of advice mate.....whichever lawyer you choose to represent you just make sure you have got a "good" interpreter that you can trust, because it is so important for you to understand what is going on and to be able to get across your thoughts and feelings, to both your lawyer and the court.

HL

... very good advice for any business deal in Thailand.  Some language schools can provide 

Sorry, I know I have an ulterior motive of course, but I do not agree with Jim's suggestion.

if I was going to court and gambling with what is possibly a large amount of assets then I would want an interpreter who is A) experienced and well versed in the workings of the law, and B) will be accepted by the judge as an official and licensed interpreter. Not just somebody who can speak some English and works or learns in a language school.

Remember we are not just talking about a person explaining the English word for a Thai word etc. We are talking about a person who can put over your thoughts and feelings in the best way possible for the judge and the court to take your side in the case. Yes your lawyer will put your case for you but when you are on the stand it is the interpreter who is the most important person in the court room at that time.

HL 

21 hours ago, happylarry said:

Sorry, I know I have an ulterior motive of course, but I do not agree with Jim's suggestion.

if I was going to court and gambling with what is possibly a large amount of assets then I would want an interpreter who is A) experienced and well versed in the workings of the law, and B) will be accepted by the judge as an official and licensed interpreter. Not just somebody who can speak some English and works or learns in a language school.

Remember we are not just talking about a person explaining the English word for a Thai word etc. We are talking about a person who can put over your thoughts and feelings in the best way possible for the judge and the court to take your side in the case. Yes your lawyer will put your case for you but when you are on the stand it is the interpreter who is the most important person in the court room at that time.

HL 

In addition to which the average person won't be familiar with legal terms and phrases.

Blackcab, thanks for your comments. I agree completely. Therefore, I delayed filing and have been studying Thai legal code. I am not an expert, but have some clue regarding items that may influence my case. Thai law is very similar to USA law. There are some aspect which can protect a foreigner, I thine, if you know those codes exist. I plan to discuss those with which ever lawyer I decide to go with.

thanks again.