Rejected entry at Savannakhet land border(SETV)

well here we go,

yesterday I was rejected at land border from entering Thailand on SETV. Reasoning -third back to back SETV . After being questioned by Immigration officer(i provided 20k(over 30 actually),flight ticket out of Thailand but no travel inventory) he decided that I am not a REAL tourist and denied my entry. I am staying with my girlfriend and told him that(she was with me,Thai)) was the reason i have no hotel bookings, which is the truth.... Didn't argue much just stayed calm and left back to LAO. My GF didn't take it so well, let's just say she got detained..I'm in Vientiane now and planning to go back home. I'm from EU, caucasian, like to think about myself as presentable and polite. To clarify, I DO NOT WORK here as I'm fortunate enough to not have to.

p.s. I'm a long time member of TV but can't locate my login details at the moment for obvious reasons 

Edited by trappedinlao
  • Like 2

Definitely upping the pressure. I was given an unusual grilling the other day on a SETV, pressing the button for supervisor, who takes you to see another one. I think as he was already dealing with someone else he just went ahead and processed it. 

Aren't people allowed 2 entries by land per year at the moment? Or is it that people with "x" number of visas are going to start being rejected entry? This person had a valid SETV, funds in hand, and onward ticket. So refused entry for no hotel booking? Seems so strange. No offence for writing this but did the gf start being rude before things could be presented to the superviser?

3 minutes ago, Essecola said:

Aren't people allowed 2 entries by land per year at the moment?

That is only for visa exempt entries not if you have a valid visa for entry and it is per calendar year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is only for visa exempt entries not if you have a valid visa for entry and it is per calendar year.

Yes sorry I meant visa exempt entries. So if you already entered with an SETV by land, that might wipe out one of the 2 exempts allowed per calendar year? Things are starting to get confusing lol

5 minutes ago, Essecola said:

Yes sorry I meant visa exempt entries. So if you already entered with an SETV by land, that might wipe out one of the 2 exempts allowed per calendar year? Things are starting to get confusing lol

No it shouldn't wipe out one of your visa exempt entries as you have a valid visa

• Like 1

@trappedinlao, since you have a valid visa, you can try the same border on a different day or a different land border.... Perhaps fly in?

In the mean time, can you provide a more thorough history of thailand entries in your current/previous passport for the last 3-5 years or so? Include any overstays. What type of visa? (visa exempt, setv, etc)

• Like 2

How many months have you been out of Thailand for in the last 12-18.
I would suggest:-
A tourist does not stay 100% of
the year or more in Thailand especially if the tourist is with a long term girl friend -in the eyes of immigration.

Sent from my S7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How many months have you been out of Thailand for in the last 12-18.
I would suggest:-
A tourist does not stay 100% of
the year or more in Thailand especially if the tourist is with a long term girl friend -in the eyes of immigration.

With a tourist visa you can't stay longer than 90 days in the kingdom. I never stayed longer than 90 days in Thailand. That means, no overstay.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JayBird said:

Are you saying that you had an unused SETV in your passport and were denied entry?

I thought legally that was not possible (as you had the visa)?

Having a visa does not give you automatic right to enter any country. Entry to the country is decided by the Immigration department where you enter.

A good few years ago my friend flew to UK with his Thai wife and on arrival at Heathrow his wife was having a hard time getting through even with the visa in her passport. He tried to intervene and was told to stay out of it as the final decision on entry was down to Immigration at the point of entry. She did eventually get through.

Having a visa doesn't grant you the automatic right to enter no matter how many people quote the rules as written.

18 minutes ago, JayBird said:

Are you saying that you had an unused SETV in your passport and were denied entry?

I thought legally that was not possible (as you had the visa)?

Having a visa gives no legal right to enter the country. The decision is down to the immigration officer who can deny entry for reasons listed in the immigration act or by ministerial orders.

Edited by elviajero

With a tourist visa you can't stay longer than 90 days in the kingdom. I never stayed longer than 90 days in Thailand. That means, no overstay.

Sorry what I intended to mean is back to back with less than a month between SETV entries.

It doesn't matter. But I visit my family every 1 or 2 years for 4-6 weeks. And this since almost 9 years. Never worked in Thailand. Just manged my investments by online banking. All my money comes from abroad. I'm glad to spend it in Thailand. Something wrong with that?

You are missing the point.
Mae bin Rai

• Like 1

Mae bin Rai

I know what you mean. However, I'm sure my next visa run will be successfull again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

I know what you mean. However, I'm sure my next visa run will be successfull again.

Positive attitude. That's what I like. Pretty sure mine's gonna work out just fine as well :)

• Like 2

Mae bin Rai

You know, I don't want to buy a elite visa. Even I could effort it. But who knows where I'm in 5 years. But, I would be willing to pay 100k for a 1year visa. Or 50k for a 6 month visa.

• Like 2

You know, I don't want to buy a elite visa. Even I could effort it. But who knows where I'm in 5 years. But, I would be willing to pay 100k for a 1year visa. Or 50k for a 6 month visa.

I don't care & this is off topic.

This is most odd.

Just 2 months ago I entered at Mukdahan. For those without visas (i.e. visa exempt) they were handing out a flyer stating only 2 visa exempts at land borders per calendar year (in line with govt. announcement) and then stamping them in.

It is only March. It is unlikely the OP is on his 3rd visa exempt land border entry.

So, either the report needs supporting evidence or Mukdahan have changed their approach.

12 hours ago, elviajero said:

That's no longer just the issue. They don't want people living in Thailand using tourist visas.

If you didn't receive a formal denial (letter/stamp in passport) then use a different crossing and you'll probably be let in. I personally wouldn't try flying in just incase the denial has been noted on the immigration system.

I was fairly sure that every entry point was on the immigrations system, so it would not matter where or how the OP tried to enter.

9 hours ago, alocacoc said:

It doesn't matter. But I visit my family every 1 or 2 years for 4-6 weeks. And this since almost 9 years. Never worked in Thailand. Just manged my investments by online banking. All my money comes from abroad. I'm glad to spend it in Thailand. Something wrong with that?

So you stay in THailand for 11 months a year, and you don't work but you manage your investments, all on tourist visa's and for 9 years

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

Actually, I think many immigration officials will see the long-term girlfriend as a good legitimate reason to spend extended periods in the country without working. The main reason for denying entry is because the official cannot comprehend why a visitor would be so transfixed by Thai temples and floating markets to want to spend years on end here visiting them. That is what leads to suspicions of illegal working, the most common reason, in practice, for denying entry.

There are no rules (either in the Immigration Act or ministerial regulations) that limit either the number of tourist visas people can have, nor the number of days people can spend in Thailand as a visitor. Perhaps, there are some officials (as there are some posters here) who believe such rules should exist, and invent reasons to exclude those who spend "too much" time here. However, IMHO, the officials ought to comply with the law, and only exclude people according to Section 12 of the Immigration Act 1979.

I always use my Thai GF as my Thai-contact on all paperwork, and have never had a problem.   Perhaps this particular IO has a daughter who was stood-up by a Farang?  Usually we farang pick up the pieces left by Thai guys who shirk their familial obligations - but I am sure there are plenty of cases where the Farang does the "knock up and run away" routine, as well. 

To the OP - how old are you, if I may ask?  Younger travelers seem to receive more scrutiny than older ones, from my reading.

Also - I would not "give up and go home" over this one IO.  Try another point of entry, and get an online hotel booking first (free), if you don't have a rental-contract in your name.  If possible, also have a bank-statement showing your finances come from overseas.  Cover ALL your bases - leave no question unanswered with evidence - and you should be fine. 

• Like 1