How to Get Fat in Thailand

Inspire

How to Get Fat in Thailand

Orlando Barton

bart-main8.jpg

When I first came to Thailand, everybody was skinny. Not just the Thais, but foreigners too. Getting fat wasn’t nearly as easy as it is today. Pizza Hut and Subway had come and failed miserably. Thais just didn’t warm up to bread and cheese. KFC was just starting to get some traction but cakes, pies and even ice cream were alien concepts. For Thai people, all those little neon-colored bites of “stuff” made from coconut and sugar and who knows what else called “kanom” were what Thais considered desserts. And, the portion size was small.

Pair that with the fact people did a lot more walking than they do now. No Skytrain. No MRT. No Uber. Even escalators were a rare sight. Living in Bangkok was a sweaty and tiresome endeavor. I lost 6 kilos the first month I lived here.

But have no fear … I’ve gained it all back and then some … thanks in no small part to Western dietary habits hitting Thailand like a big syrupy wave. Cakes, pies, cookies … even entire shops dedicated to the worship of cupcakes. Every major fast food vendor is has arrived and invaded all corners of Thailand. KFC fried chicken, Mc Donald’s big Macs, Burger King onion rings, Pizza Hut stuffed pizza, Carl’s Jr. triple-burgers, Subway foot long sandwiches, Starbucks Grande Ice Coffees, Dunkin Donuts by the dozen… all we are waiting for is Taco Bell. You know your country’s waistline is going to hell when you walk into a shopping mall and are greeted by the vulgar aroma of Krispy Kreme donuts.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/get-fat-thailand/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-03-05

the problem is sugar is added to almost everything. i cut processed sugar out of my diet, cut right down on the carbs and lost 5 kgs. Even though i was eating a lot of fruit (not bananas), meat and cheeses. At my village restaurant where i go for lunch, they now know not to put any sugar in my stired  mixed veggies etc but they kept putting the same amount of salt in it until i told them!!

Eat like a pig and you get fat. Maybe some self control and discretionary eating would help. Accept the blame for your fat.

BTW, Taco Bell is ok with me. Bring it on.

There is a reason why I avoid the Inspire Pattaya website and it has to do with its great journalism.

the problem is sugar is added to almost everything. i cut processed sugar out of my diet, cut right down on the carbs and lost 5 kgs. Even though i was eating a lot of fruit (not bananas), meat and cheeses. At my village restaurant where i go for lunch, they now know not to put any sugar in my stired  mixed veggies etc but they kept putting the same amount of salt in it until i told them!!

No Bananas,is there reason for that.??.Im a Nana Addict.[emoji205][emoji529]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Ace of Pop said:

No Bananas,is there reason for that.??.Im a Nana Addict.emoji205.pngemoji529.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

nothing really wrong with them, but can be a bit higher in sugar  than some other easier avaiable fruits, so had to control how much i ate. The trouble with me is that if i have one, then i'll have 3! Sort of the chocolate of fruit for me. :) i was  told not to eat them for a while to try and control my blood sugar levels (as well as not to eat grapes). it is interesting that slightly less ripe bananas are better than fully ripe (less sugar and 'healthier' starch)

https://www.verywell.com/carbs-in-bananas-2241762

The general advice i read was to limit fruit intake on a low sugar diet, but i ignored that as i love to eat fruit, and i still lost weight and my blood sugar levels are okay. So i think the sugar/carbs in fruit (fructose) are balanced out by other things in the fruit; talking about whole fruit, not juicing or blending.

Yeah, sounds like you lead a sheltered life. I came here in 1967; there were plenty of overweight people, Thais and farangs. There are definitely more porkers today, but as you say, there are more fast/garbage food places.  Back then, there were plenty of good restaurants; Western as well as Thai, Indian, and Chinese. Does anyone remember Nick's No 1--Nick and I got along well, I'd bring him good french Wines from Vietnam and he'd make me his personal favorite; thick medium-rare Kobe steak, stuffed with Roquefort cheese. After he died his family moved the restaurant to a site off Soi Asoke near Sukhumvit--never went there much, the food had changed so--it closed long ago.  Many of the hotels and foreigner bars served Western food, as they do today. There was a good Western-style restaurant on Patpong 2, a good Italian on Silom, and a fantastic Indian near the Oriental hotel. The restaurant at the Golden Palace on soi 1 Sukhumvit had a brilliant American breakfast, great burgers and fries, an excellent Pork Cordon Bleu, and tolerable spaghetti. The major foods missing were the garbage fast food joints; I don't eat in those places, lousy food in my opinion.

1 hour ago, taichiplanet said:

nothing really wrong with them, but can be a bit higher in sugar  than some other easier avaiable fruits, so had to control how much i ate. The trouble with me is that if i have one, then i'll have 3! Sort of the chocolate of fruit for me. :) i was  told not to eat them for a while to try and control my blood sugar levels (as well as not to eat grapes). it is interesting that slightly less ripe bananas are better than fully ripe (less sugar and 'healthier' starch)

https://www.verywell.com/carbs-in-bananas-2241762

The general advice i read was to limit fruit intake on a low sugar diet, but i ignored that as i love to eat fruit, and i still lost weight and my blood sugar levels are okay. So i think the sugar/carbs in fruit (fructose) are balanced out by other things in the fruit; talking about whole fruit, not juicing or blending.

Blood Sugar , avalid reason, mines perfect, dont know why,i was never careful about diet.Cholesterol was biggest prob found from my long overdue blood test, and too little exercise.Lost 5Kilo this month by just walking a bit more, no intention of doing anything at my age i cant sustain. Good Health n stick to it.

Blood Sugar , avalid reason, mines perfect, dont know why,i was never careful about diet.Cholesterol was biggest prob found from my long overdue blood test, and too little exercise.Lost 5Kilo this month by just walking a bit more, no intention of doing anything at my age i cant sustain. Good Health n stick to it.

i lost 2kg in one week onli stop drinking cola light

Verstuurd vanaf mijn m3 note met Tapatalk

I know that mayonnaise isn't really that good for you but I checked a Thai brand of mayonnaise because I thought that it was sweet... had 20% sugar and I have never ever seen any western recipes for mayonnaise with sugar.

The same whit Thai bread that is awfully sweet with up to 15% sugar and that's for the white toast bread!
And you can find some packages that say no sugar added and then it's 10-15% high fructose syrup in it instead... but it's not refined sugar...

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Intake more calories than you use/burn and you'll get fat. Depends how active (or not) that you are. (Generally)

Unfortunately not always true.  The body has mechanisms to counter calorie deficits.  

I am quite slim.. I am 40, but can still wear the same size clothes as when I was 21 (32 inch waist).  However, just this year I have started to gain weight and can't seem to stop it. 

However, I think it must be an age thing, as I have got some fat on my belly and I can't shift it.

I don't overeat, and I don't eat cakes, sweets, chocolate etc regularly.  I hate sweet drinks, so never buy soda or other drinks with sugar.

I cycle EVERY day fro at least one hour.. sometimes many hours.. as I can't drive.. so the bike is my transport.... often with heavy backpack full of shopping.

So, how come I can not get rid of the fat on my belly?  I think I consume less than the daily amount of calories for a man, and I also do all that cycling.  Weird.  if I had the money I would get the fat taken out lol.  I see thin people eating cakes, doughnuts and drinking sugar drinks.. then eating big meals several times a day.  I only eat 2 times a day and one is just a small meal and the other is bigger.  I never snack either. 

The fast food outlets are beyond the pocket of many Thai people up here in the north east , however there are still many plump ladies to be seen . Their diet as said before contains too much sugar and salt . Pig fat , carnation milk and coconut milk are part of their regular diet , along with sweet cakes . They cannot go 2 hours without eating something it seems .  

MIL first drink in the morning ,  Bournville cocoa , 6 sugar cubes , half filled with carnation milk and hot water , to be eaten with a big fat croissant and chocolate filler . I tried to tell her how bad it was for her and to try to eat a cereal as I do but I was given the finger and the Thai equivalent of  go forth & multiply  ( difficult to understand her when she is speaking and laughing at the same time with her mouth full , get the picture ? ) 

I am quite slim.. I am 40, but can still wear the same size clothes as when I was 21 (32 inch waist).  However, just this year I have started to gain weight and can't seem to stop it. 

However, I think it must be an age thing, as I have got some fat on my belly and I can't shift it.

I don't overeat, and I don't eat cakes, sweets, chocolate etc regularly.  I hate sweet drinks, so never buy soda or other drinks with sugar.

I cycle EVERY day fro at least one hour.. sometimes many hours.. as I can't drive.. so the bike is my transport.... often with heavy backpack full of shopping.

So, how come I can not get rid of the fat on my belly?  I think I consume less than the daily amount of calories for a man, and I also do all that cycling.  Weird.  if I had the money I would get the fat taken out lol.  I see thin people eating cakes, doughnuts and drinking sugar drinks.. then eating big meals several times a day.  I only eat 2 times a day and one is just a small meal and the other is bigger.  I never snack either. 

In your case, you can do pretty much nothing I would think.

You don't seem to have any dietary bad habits and your one days cycling is probably more exercise than most get in a week.

14 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Beer?