Eddie 'the Eagle' recreates Calgary Olympic glory with first ski jumps in nearly 20 years

webfact

Eddie 'the Eagle' recreates Calgary Olympic glory with first ski jumps in nearly 20 years

By Dave Dormer, CBC News

53-year-old stuck the landing on the 18-metre, 38-metre and 70-metre jumps

CALGARY: -- Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards flew above the skyline once again Sunday, nearly 30 years after jumping into the hearts of Calgarians during the 1988 Winter Games.

The British ski jumper who finished dead last in the 70- and 90-metre events at the Calgary Winter Olympics — but gained worldwide fame in the process — returned Sunday to jump once again to showcase the sport along with members of the Altius Nordic Ski Club.

"Relief, absolutely relief," he said, after sticking the landing on six jumps.

"It's lovely to come back to Calgary ... but I've not done much jumping over the last 20-odd years. So I was a bit nervous but I was glad I got two [landings] on the 18-metre jump, two on the [38-metre jump] and two on the [70-metre jump] and I thought, 'I'll quit while I'm ahead, I'm still in one piece and I'm happy.'"

Full story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/eddie-the-eagle-calgary-ski-jump-1.4011014

-- CBC news 2017-03-06

34 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

' Dead last'. What is that?  Eddie the embarrassment who seemingly, never goes away.

Adjective[edit]

dead last (not comparable)

1. (idiomatic) Finishing in last place in a competition or (in sports) the standings, often by a considerable margin to the next-to-last-place finisher or after an exceptionally poor showing or season.

He is 53 and just stuck the landings in a discipline that the majority of the world would not consider attempting, embarrassment to who?  1508595.GIF

11 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

' Dead last'. What is that?  Eddie the embarrassment who seemingly, never goes away.

How is he an embarrassment?  If memory serves, when he was in the Olympics, he was British champion and record holder. 

He was our best. 

OK, against the best in the world, he wasn't much, but again, he was our best, not an embarrassment.  He tried and put his all into it.  I'd shake his hand any day.