Video: Impatient driver goes for gap that wasn't there and pays the penalty

webfact

Video: Impatient driver goes for gap that wasn't there and pays the penalty

4am.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

BANGKOK: -- A ghastly accident video has been posted to Facebook that shows a Toyota pick-up hurtling off the Kanchanapisek expressway (Route 9) on Sunday.

The blue vehicle can be seen going fast on the inside then it cuts across and tries to go between a taxi and another vehicle, Manager Online reported. 

The driver loses control and collides with a wall as the vehicle disappears over the bridge.

Another video shows the wreckage below as the vehicle lays on its roof as local people and medics attend the scene.

Manager reported that four occupants of the vehicle were taken to hospital but their condition was not reported in the story.

The accident footage was on the Facebook page of Adithep Wongwien and had been viewed almost half a million times by yesterday.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-07

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Until there are severe civil and criminal penalties enforced Thais have no fear for their actions and mandatory consequences....

the part i don't get is their inability to value their own life let alone others...

the gov needs to address that question of why not....

Edited by cardinalblue

Just another day on Thailand's roads where law enforcement does not exist, but vehicle operators without legitimate licenses/road knowledge do. Is there any question why Thai roads are murderous?  But hey!!! those in-charge are insulated from the carnage so....... no worries; just poor people and foreigners killed.... no need to change. 

Flying pigs, now flying pickups.

Just another day on Thai roads.

Many drivers here do not know how, and have never been shown to read the road.

Most drivers here ( my wife included ) only see what is directly in front of them, they never look a few vehicles in front to see gauge what is/will happen.

Crazy, they just don't seem to care.

A lot of times I'll overtake people on the open road on my bike only to have them fly past me when I get to a village and slow to 60.  They just hurtle through at the same speed they were previously doing.  

Do they think their vehicle acts like a magical safety barrier?  

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Incredible footage ... the guy in the blue truck was diving too fast and not only endangered himself but other people. Luckily, the other drivers did not pay a price for his recklessness and stupidity. 

maybe better if he had of paid the price,  next time it may be you or me.

14 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Looks like he refused to slow down and allow the taxi to merge. Instead he tried to go around the taxi and got boxed.

The taxi seems not to have noticed the approaching danger either. Of course all taxis are invincible as we well know.

I agree that the blue pickup was driving in an irresponsible manner, however the taxi driver did not appear to make any attempt to ensure the lane was clear before moving from his own lane to join the highway.  It is the responsibility of the driver joining the highway to ensure that they can do so safely and without endangering other vehicles travelling at higher speed than themselves.  From simple observation the taxi appears t simply pull into the next lane to the right as quickly as possible before the end of the feeder lane.

29 minutes ago, akirasan said:

Crazy, they just don't seem to care.

A lot of times I'll overtake people on the open road on my bike only to have them fly past me when I get to a village and slow to 60.  They just hurtle through at the same speed they were previously doing.  

Do they think their vehicle acts like a magical safety barrier?  

yes.

7 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

I agree that the blue pickup was driving in an irresponsible manner, however the taxi driver did not appear to make any attempt to ensure the lane was clear before moving from his own lane to join the highway.  It is the responsibility of the driver joining the highway to ensure that they can do so safely and without endangering other vehicles travelling at higher speed than themselves.  From simple observation the taxi appears t simply pull into the next lane to the right as quickly as possible before the end of the feeder lane.

Agree. The taxi driver has to accept some blame as he was at fault as well. Thai law 'give way to the right'

3 minutes ago, DGS1244 said:

Agree. The taxi driver has to accept some blame as he was at fault as well. Thai law 'give way to the right'

It's not just 'give way to the right' whe you want to change lanes and enter a different lane you must also ensure it's safe to do so. The taxi driver clearly didn't.

The blue pick may have been driving faster than other vehicles around him but undertaking IS a legal manouvre on a three lane carriageway in Thailand so wasn't breaking any laws. We have no idea of telling whether he was breaking the speed limit but, assuming he wasn't, he was continually driving in the same lane so has priority over vehicles wanting to enter that lane. His mistake was lack of awareness in not anticipating the illegal move by the taxi driver.

25 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

Fully agree, It looks to me that the taxi pulled onto the highway from the slip road straight in front of the pickup. However, having said that, the pickup driver is undertaking traffic, driving too fast in the inside lane, and most importantly, as we all know, has no inclination or training to read the road ahead. Or maybe it was the "Me,Me,Me, Mentality" .......this is my bit of road so s*d off......

Red plates on the pick-up as well. Brand new and now straight to the scrap yard. Oh, and I love the way the taxi stops in the middle of lane 1 rather than pull onto the shoulder. Obviously clueless. TIT.

Edited by Wiggy

1 hour ago, selftaopath said:

Just another day on Thailand's roads where law enforcement does not exist, but vehicle operators without legitimate licenses/road knowledge do. Is there any question why Thai roads are murderous?  But hey!!! those in-charge are insulated from the carnage so....... no worries; just poor people and foreigners killed.... no need to change. 

Sadly yes, two incidents in as many days have made we consider whether I should give up the motorcycle. Coincidentally both vehicles sporting Bangkok plates here in Pattaya. Nothing but impatience, aggression and lack of consideration.

Wise up you stupid stupid people.

Serves him right. I'm just glad no innocent road users were injured and  I hope he gets nothing from his insurance company. 

So much for "sabai sabai". 

Edited by djayz

6 minutes ago, djayz said:

Serves him right. I'm just glad no innocent road users were injured and he  I hope gets nothing from his insurance company. 

There were three innocent people in the car with him though.

1 minute ago, djayz said:

Serves him right. I'm just glad no innocent road users were injured and he  I hope gets nothing from his insurance company. 

The blue pickup driver did nothing illegal, he had right of way. It was the taxi driver that made the illegal manouvre and caused the accident

11 minutes ago, DGS1244 said:

It's really not about 'give way to the right' it's about merging. The taxi who seems to be going a fair ol' speed cuts into traffic from the merging lane,  it seems without slowing and the fkd head in the pickup who does have the right of way but must be going 140kph+  doesn't slow down and slams into him. Merging traffic must yield but both go for the same piece of road and you can see the result. Inconsiderate, selfish Thai driving.

4 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

There were three innocent people in the car with him though.

Very good point. I wonder 1) how many of those passengers were so preoccupied with their phones/games that they even noticed just how fast he was driving and/or 2) how many of them told him to slow down a little. 

Edited by djayz

31 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

You think the taxi is responsible for this? Nonsense. He had nowhere else to go! This pickup overtaking at high speed on the inside is a prime (but not untypical) example of crap and dangerous driving. Slower drivers should occupy the nearside lanes but they just won't do it here, either. Most of the vehicles in the VDO are doing something wrong but the pickup won 1st prize. I hope they are OK but the driver should be banned for life. Driving tests here a joke (even if you take one).