Thai govt 'unlikely' to get Shin sale tax

webfact

Govt 'unlikely' to get Shin sale tax
By THE NATION

1f44529ea0cf8162ef5092f4a00ae2a9.jpeg

Thaksin

Deadline on issuing tax summons stops it from collecting tax from Thaksin family

BANGKOK: -- THE Revenue Department admitted yesterday it was unlikely to collect taxes from the family of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra regarding their controversial sale of Shin Corp shares in 2006. 

This is due to the fact that the five-year tax summons limit will expire at the end of this month, the agency said.

The admission came although the Revenue Department has been under considerable pressure from the Office of the Auditor General.

Auditor-General Pisit Leelavach-iropas has threatened to take legal action against the head of the Revenue Department over this case involving tax disputes with the former prime minister’s family.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30308259

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-08

"This is due to the fact that the five-year tax summons limit will expire at the end of this month, the agency said. "

So the taxman could not get the job done in 5 years ! think they should be done negligence,or did they believe it

was just an honest mistake.

regards worgeordie

They had 5 years to do it, so just don´t see the value of the news.
On the other hand, this man is as elusive as a well known abbot, and it would probably cost more than the worth of taxes to even get a talk with him.

QUICK Prayut!

If there ever was a reason to invoke Article 44 to delay the statue of limitations, this is it.

And send the head of the Revenue Department to an inactive station.

Hey, I should be hired as an advisor to the NCPO - dumb ideas require pathetic leadership.

23 minutes ago, aussieinthailand said:

Seems to me that the Auditor General, The Revenue Department,  and the courts can not agree.

You have to wonder how much in bribes it cost them, while they skate off with more billions stolen from the Thai people.

Tax Commission rejects call for extension of tax summons to demand 16 billion baht tax from Shinawatra family

102_Taksin.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Tax Commission yesterday decided to not extend deadline for the tax summons as requested by the Office of the Auditor General (OAG) to pressure the Revenue Department to collect 16 billion baht tax from the Shinawatra family for the 73 billion baht sale of Shin Corporation's shares to Singapore's state-owned telecom Temasek Holding in 2006.

The meeting was chaired by the Finance Ministry’s deputy permanent secretary Prapas Kong-ied.

The meeting was held as the 10-year statute of limitation of this tax dispute case will expire end of this month.

Mr Prapas explained that under Article 19 of the Revenue Code, the Revenue Department is empowered to issue a tax summons for additional tax payment within five years after tax payment forms have been submitted.

Failing to enforce the tax summons within the five-year deadline, no further issuance of tax summons be allowed by the deoartment, he said.

He said the resolution reached by the Tax Commission would be published in the Royal Gazette and would be applied to all tax dispute cases.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tax-commission-rejects-call-extension-tax-summons-demand-16-billion-baht-tax-shinawatra-family/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-08

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

They had 5 years to do it, so just don´t see the value of the news.
On the other hand, this man is as elusive as a well known abbot, and it would probably cost more than the worth of taxes to even get a talk with him.

Wrong, they know where TS is as he never makes a secret of his whereabouts unlike the ex-abbot

2 hours ago, robblok said:

NACC is totally inept and should have hurried this up.. they have failed so often on so many cases even cases like this that are supposed to have high priority with them as they are about the Shins. 

And why?

Obvious, they are all very frightened of this man, and they should be! 

Just now, scorecard said:

IMHO one ultimate point, wouldn't trust any of this family with 5Baht.

Looks to me like with the registered wealth, and with the rice-scheme bill, this family will need all the 5 Bath:s they can get a hold of.
Come on, Give a tip!

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And why?

Obvious, they are all very frightened of this man, and they should be! 

I think many officials are indeed afraid to go after him and others as they could be in trouble when the winds of power change... better to make sure you don't ruffle any feathers either on either side. 

I don't fully grab how the nominee thing worked here in this case... but Thailand sure still loves nominees.

I do fully grasp that whenever I buy or sell Thai securities of any kind using my US broker... the securities are put in the name of a nominee without even for the asking.... and that all I ever needed, or my Thai girlfriend who wasn't even on a valid visa at the time... needed to open a brokerage account at that particular broker... was a US drivers license and a Social Security number.  which are very very easy to get.

hmmmm..... how do they figure out the "foreign" buy and sell.. if it is the bank or broker that is foreign and all the rest of it tells you is what kind or how many drivers license tests somebody managed to pass.  I need prescription glasses for mine.  I wonder if that is what gave Martha Stewart away for insider trading?

Edited by maewang99

5 hours ago, robblok said:

NACC is totally inept and should have hurried this up.. they have failed so often on so many cases even cases like this that are supposed to have high priority with them as they are about the Shins. 

They do have a poor record. But remember which family's political party vehicle has been in power for a lot of the time since 2006. If you were the revenue or NACC would you have wanted to progress this when the Shins were in power - maybe not.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The admission came although the Revenue Department has been under considerable pressure from the Office of the Auditor General.

Auditor-General Pisit Leelavach-iropas has threatened to take legal action against the head of the Revenue Department over this case involving tax disputes with the former prime minister’s family.

Yes Thaksin still has the old mojo working. 

22 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

They do have a poor record. But remember which family's political party vehicle has been in power for a lot of the time since 2006. If you were the revenue or NACC would you have wanted to progress this when the Shins were in power - maybe not.

I would not.. I think the problem is that many lower civil servants are afraid for fallout if power changes. 

23 hours ago, halloween said:

You have to wonder how much in bribes it cost them, while they skate off with more billions stolen from the Thai people.

Well if any of them can produce proof irrefutable that a crime has been committed, then cool let justice be done,  

Oh wait what's that?  the whole post is about they can't find proof and time is running out,    Stiff  s.....t baby.

Seems to me that a reasonable thing to do would be to stop the clock on the statute of limitations for the time the suspect is out of the country.  Start the clock again when they're back in country.

That would also apply to people on the run for running down cops in their Ferrari's.

18 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

OK you asked the question,  "which family's political vehicle has been in power for a lot of the time since 2006." 

Thaksin was removed in 2006 by coup. followed by mark in 2008 - 2011,  then yingluk 2011 2013 coup now the Chan-o-cha family 2014 until now (almost 3 years) so you tell us who's family has been in power for a lot of the time since 2006.....?