Brexit and the £

On 3/8/2017 at 10:24 AM, theoldgit said:

You may not be going back, and I'm pleased to hear that, but I'm aware of a few that have either done so or are seriously considering it.
I'm also aware of a few people who now cannot meet the financial requirement to extend their stay here, and may have very little option.
A friend of mine, a retired banker who is pretty worldly wise in these matters, also shares my view that the GBP has a lot further to fall yet, and is certainly hedging at the moment. 

Wow, you trust the word of a banker?  :sleep:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/11/2017 at 7:08 PM, taipeir said:

Eh Britain signed up for everything in the first place what are you talking about?

Don't you know your own history?

Britain even moaned through the entire time it was in the EU looking for opt outs for this and that and it never joined the euro zone.It was also Tony Blair who opened full immigration rights to Eastern Europeans before other European countries.

Sick of you moaners see how long your precious Britain lasts most likely it'll be England and Wales within a few years. Scotland and Northern Ireland didn't sign up for getting dragged out of the EU.

How will it get better exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really love the Brits deep down, don't you?  Scotland and Northern Ireland "didn't sign up for being dragged out of the EU"  but nor have they signed up for being dragged out of the UK and nor will they.  Nicola's dream is just that...a dream.

Emilymat said:

"In my view, the refusal of Mrs May's government not to  give the employment guarantee to EU citizens currently working here, is a scandal. I don't buy all this nonsense about pensioners in Spain needing to  be  protected at the same time. It's a moral issue."

If it is a moral issue, then the EU should give a reciprocal guarantee for UK citizens working/living in the EU  Mrs May is not going unilaterally to give away a key negotiating position prior to commencement of the Article 50 talks.  Had she done so, what would you say if all the Brits in the EU countries were forced to return home?

15 hours ago, jadee said:

After the go ahead for triggering Article 50 went through the Lords, the pound dipped to 1.21 against the dollar. The fun hasn't even started yet as negotiations have yet to begin. If the EU is more hardline than expected, the pound will react negatively.
I wonder to what extent staunch Eurosceptics in the UK factored in the possibility of harsh negotiations. If the Brexiteers were willing to sacrifice economic prosperity for more control, there are plenty of EU citizens willing to do the same and punish the UK. 

There are also plenty of EU citizens who would very much like to follow the UK's example but they are not being given the chance in a simple "in or out" referendum as happened in the UK and the EU's so-called leaders will do everything in their power to make sure that they never have the chance to do so, as they fear the outcome.

8 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I'll have something that you are smoking bro' - but I'd rather have good pounds. To all the  Brexiteers - thanks for nothing - maybe you can make up the 20% I missing out of my wallet next time I'm shopping.

20% missing from mine too but makes no difference to the belief that Brexit was in Britain's long term interest and nothing will shake that view.

5 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

There are also plenty of EU citizens who would very much like to follow the UK's example but they are not being given the chance in a simple "in or out" referendum as happened in the UK and the EU's so-called leaders will do everything in their power to make sure that they never have the chance to do so, as they fear the outcome.

pound will rebound this week.....73B to the pound.....Happy Now!

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:08 PM, taipeir said:

Eh Britain signed up for everything in the first place what are you talking about?

Don't you know your own history?

Britain even moaned through the entire time it was in the EU looking for opt outs for this and that and it never joined the euro zone.It was also Tony Blair who opened full immigration rights to Eastern Europeans before other European countries.

Sick of you moaners see how long your precious Britain lasts most likely it'll be England and Wales within a few years. Scotland and Northern Ireland didn't sign up for getting dragged out of the EU.

How will it get better exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will you promise that? An England all on its own, without the hangers on?.....I don't care any about the currency drops, just for a bit of peace from the whingers.

Emilymat said:

"In my view, the refusal of Mrs May's government not to  give the employment guarantee to EU citizens currently working here, is a scandal. I don't buy all this nonsense about pensioners in Spain needing to  be  protected at the same time. It's a moral issue."

If it is a moral issue, then the EU should give a reciprocal guarantee for UK citizens working/living in the EU  Mrs May is not going unilaterally to give away a key negotiating position prior to commencement of the Article 50 talks.  Had she done so, what would you say if all the Brits in the EU countries were forced to return home?

The problem with that is it is not clear if it is in their remit to do so. Once the UK leaves the EU the rules governing what rights individual EU nations give to UK citizens becomes a national issue.
17 hours ago, lannaman said:

My pension is down by 20% as is every Brit's.

For now until the recovery, that I feel will surely happen, we just have to cut back.

We had three vehicles in my Thai family, so I've just sold my truck, I can use Honda Wave and wife's car when she's not using it, I've said I'll pay half insurance costs.

If I'm stuck, then there are always taxis which are relatively cheap.

I'm ordering a folding bike which will easily fit in a car/taxi boot, so I can still be mobile in town.

So Brits, for now just cut back and enjoy the simple things in life!

Despite this I'm still fully behind Theresa May.

My Uk govt pension is down, but my QROPS is not although originating from a UK SIPP  it is fully invested in US stocks so effectively dollar denominated

Maybe this was luck but felt US vs UK the safer bet medium term, can always switch back

52 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Emilymat said:

Is it a key negotiating position

The UK gov have already said they are going to transfer any Eu laws into the domestic sphere. It is assumed that any guarantees the UK give will have to take effect into UK law, the realm of parliament.

What as happened to the British values, are we going to expel EU citizens(who are innocent) because no guarantees are forthcoming

6 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

UK ,  will  have  Thai sex tourists  galore ,  ex tuk tuk drivers .

Fear not , USD will fall ,  thanks DT .

28 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Just been on UK news Toyota are investing a quarter of a billion pounds in their south Derbyshire plant.

but the car giant’s boss has called for continued tariff- and barrier-free access between the UK and Europe.

18 minutes ago, sinbin said:

Does it matter how much the Pound drops? Sacrifices have to be made and if that's the price I have to pay for a Brexit then so be it. Bye bye EU.

If you are happy to make the sacrifices then good for you.... but will you also make more sacrifices and pay the people who are suffering from this decision of yours, people who did not want to leave the EU?  I don't think so. 

4 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

If you are happy to make the sacrifices then good for you.... but will you also make more sacrifices and pay the people who are suffering from this decision of yours, people who did not want to leave the EU?  I don't think so. 

It's called democracy, accept it. I had to when I voted NO in the 70's. 40 years of living in a system I didn't want to live in but had to accept it. I never moaned.

Edited by sinbin
1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

With Bangkok underwater there will surely be a helluva lot of refugees...

Refugees All welcome  to live in  Great Britain , 

SS ,   UK , aka Utopia ,  not work have pay / house / NHS.

Stupid farlangs , number ONE .

Edited by elliss

I really don't get some of you guys regards Brexit and the rights of EU nationals working in the UK blabbing on about moral issues, the right thing to do etc.

It's as simple as this. Theresa May wanted to discuss this with the EU for nationals working in the UK and was told outright and flat, there would be no agreements, no talks, nothing until Article 50 was triggered. Her hands were tied! End of. So now, some on here want us to give all the rights to EU nationals working in the UK with nothing guaranteed in return regards safety and security of UK nationals living within the EU? Yes, sure, great idea!

Some people on here want Britain now to agree to any form of bullying and threatening and blackmail from the EU, who cannot stand the thought they are being defied by the UK. That's it, that's all. Hence the constant rolling out of ' Britain cannot cherry pick what it wants from the EU " etc etc how many times do we have to listen to that mantra??? We now, we've heard it dozens of times.

Facts are these: Britain imports far MORE FROM THE EU THAN IT EXPORTS. So, who will lose out? and THEY KNOW IT!

Any silly visa restrictions or taxes demanded by the EU will be reciprocated immediately by the UK. They know that too. It will hurt the German car manufacturers who export a great many to the UK, The French champagne mob, where the UK is the biggest customer. These are small examples but on and on it goes, tit for tat.

The rest is just hot air to prevent other countries telling them to stuff the EU up their jacksy!! Regards the GBP. Yes, one thing the markets hate is uncertainty. They like to see from one end of the field to the other, they hate fog. It has been stated by a great deal of economists that the GBP is trading 15-20% below its real worth at the moment. It is expected to rise. When? If I knew that I wouldn't be sat here typing this, but it shouldn't be too long in the distant future.

Nobody knows but it will bounce back unless some unforeseen catastrophe, that only affects the UK and no other country in the world, happens. These events always move in cycles.

We have  also been waiting 40 years for audited books and accounts of EU ministers and MEPs spending to be vetted and held up to scrutiny, guess what? It hasn't happened yet, and those gaining the most from it, like those fat greedy slobs in the House of Lords and Brussels are hell bent on making sure it doesn't.

The Brexit vote was the people against the elites and ho are now getting their voices heard.It is also filtering through into Germany, France, Holland, Italy, Greece etc I am not saying there will be a massive change of policy. The EU will bumble on from crisis to crisis delaying and putting off decisions as it always does. BUT. They have learned now how their rose tinited views on migrants and recklessness especially with migrant lack of integration is adversely affecting the Western way of life.

2 hours ago, roo860 said:
3 hours ago, Naam said:
but the car giant’s boss has called for continued tariff- and barrier-free access between the UK and Europe.

Never mentioned that on BBC 2 news.

Japanese carmaker Toyota (7203.T) said it plans to invest 240 million pounds to upgrade its car plant in central England for future output, but retaining tariff-free access to EU markets after Brexit remained crucial.

Toyota said last week that it could delay a decision on whether to build its next-generation Auris model in Britain to see the outcome of Brexit negotiations.

But van Zyl warned that it was important for the government to secure unfettered access to Europe for British-built car exports as part of a Brexit deal.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-toyota-idUKKBN16N16T

here's the full beef.