Brexit and the £

Theresa May is to make an unscheduled statement in Downing Street at 11:15 BST after her Cabinet meets......? Devaluation of the Pound because banks leaving ..? Snap general election..? (to delaying or reversing Brexit ..? )

BBC assistant political editor Norman Smith says broadcasters usually know what is about to be announced, but on this occasion they do not.

:hmm:  :shhh:  :clueless: 
http://www.bbc.com/n...litics-39627690...

Elections June 8 !! it is

Edited by david555
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, lungbing said:

Quote  ..? Devaluation of the Pound because banks leaving ..? Snap general election..? (to delaying or reversing Brexit ..? )  Unquote.

Scaremongering a bit there aren't we?

Only partly ...:smile:.....even on Bloomberg they gambled on the banks leaving problem or elections .....they where speculating much for a short time .:shock1:.....I hope I did not scaremongering you too much ......as soon I knew I put...... elections !

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:36 AM, 503726 said:

If there was a snap election, my bet would be the rate would jump 10% or so.

I meant if there is a snap election and the conservatives win well, my bet is that the rate would/will jump by 10% so about 44 Bhat to the £ that Friday.

What does anyone else guess rates will be?

What is the chance of May not getting a good majority?

(and there has not been a war with N Korea by then)

Edited by 503726
Significant after thought

The Tories will win because there is no credible alternative.

The Lib Dems will gain because there is nowhere else to go for the EU remainers.

The Scot Nats are at such a high point in seats and votes that they might stand still or even decline, particularly since income tax is now higher in Scotland under their government.

Any party brave enough to offer a second referendum might well see a surge in popularity but the only possibility of that is with the Lib Dems and they won't surge to the extent of gaining power.

Any prospect of a second referendum will see the pound gain in value.

This election will see the overthrow of Jeremy Corbyn and the possible return of David Milliband. 

Given a Tory win, and that looks certain, the pound will stay in the doldrums.

9 hours ago, 503726 said:

I meant if there is a snap election and the conservatives win well, my bet is that the rate would/will jump by 10% so about 44 Bhat to the £ that Friday.

What does anyone else guess rates will be?

What is the chance of May not getting a good majority?

(and there has not been a war with N Korea by then)

46 by next wed

All the election does is add some certainty to the duration of governement, it doesn't change the economic fundamentals. But the higher value Pound does increase borrowing costs and cause the FTSE to fall, I'm guessing the minuses will negate the plus and the whole thing will be a wash within two weeks and we'll be broadly back where we were yesterday.

11 hours ago, 503726 said:

BKK TT rate already jumped from the steady 42.5 up to 43.6 since the announcement.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

I'm guessing the minuses will negate the plus and the whole thing will be a wash within two weeks and we'll be broadly back where we were yesterday.

I tend to agree my assets are higher @ 43 baht. :laugh:

800,000 baht = £18,600.

800,000 baht cost and put aside when I first come was £10,800. :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

The Tories will win because there is no credible alternative.

The Lib Dems will gain because there is nowhere else to go for the EU remainers.

The Scot Nats are at such a high point in seats and votes that they might stand still or even decline, particularly since income tax is now higher in Scotland under their government.

Any party brave enough to offer a second referendum might well see a surge in popularity but the only possibility of that is with the Lib Dems and they won't surge to the extent of gaining power.

Any prospect of a second referendum will see the pound gain in value.

This election will see the overthrow of Jeremy Corbyn and the possible return of David Milliband. 

Given a Tory win, and that looks certain, the pound will stay in the doldrums.

How wrong can you be?  Check he exchange rate today which is 43.99 against the baht and has also risen against the dollar.  The election has strengthened UK's position in the EU negotiations (even the EU says that).  Whilst I don't see any meteorotic rise in the £ in the short term, I strongly believe we will see the position improve (yes there will also be fluctuations) over the next two years.

1 hour ago, robertson468 said:

How wrong can you be?  Check he exchange rate today which is 43.99 against the baht and has also risen against the dollar.  The election has strengthened UK's position in the EU negotiations (even the EU says that).  Whilst I don't see any meteorotic rise in the £ in the short term, I strongly believe we will see the position improve (yes there will also be fluctuations) over the next two years.

How wrong can I be about what ? If it takes the announcement of a general election to move the pound from 42+ to 43.99 do you really think that a Tory landslide and the completion of the Brexit negotiations will bring it back to 52 ! 

Labour Policy pledges:

* Triple-lock guarantee on pensions will remain until at least 2025

* Pensioners will keep benefits including free TV licences, bus passes and winter fuel allowance.

The period up to the general election will present an excellent opportunity to get politicians to include the removal of frozen pensions in their manifesto commitments.