What's the hype with "green tea?"

SiamBeast

On 15/04/2017 at 9:45 AM, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Lets balance your comment out by a positive, it is full of anti oxidants and any food or drink should be taken in moderation. As for caffeine taken in moderation and its effect on the average person its debatable. For you with your condition you should drink red bush tea from South Africa, it is medicinal and caffeine free.

Do you mean Rooibos tea? Don't know if my spelling is correct. ?

It's not hype it's been around for a few hundred years. It's a very powerful antioxidant and antiinflammatory drink. 

If you drink the real green tea, that is. Not the commercial watered up version. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pieceofcake22 said:

Stating facts apparently bring out trolls to bark their way into oblivion. 

parrotting unsubstantiated claims pertaining to a proven hype is another way towards oblivion.

Edited by Naam

Everywhere, I see people (both Thai and foreigners) drinking the so-called "green tea" that is extremely popular in Thailand. Even my wife came back home today with a bottle of green tea for me, "drink this, it's good for you and your health, it's tea".

Just wondering, is there any campaign currently running to let Thais know that green tea is just a sugary drink with empty calories and no nutritional value?

I think that's one of the main reason of obesity in the country and the #1 misrepresented drink around. Just food for thought.

I buy the pre brewed ITO EN Green Tea unsweetened, no sugar, from Tops each bottle has about 60mg of caffeine

And

Raming Green Tea Organic leaves, which I boil myself

I drink them as a source of caffeine, doesn't taste too bad, better than the caffeine tabs and less harsh on my prostate (suffer from prostatitis)

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 minutes ago, Naam said:

repeating unsubstantiated claims pertaining to a proven hype is another way towards oblivion.

Mostly everything seems unsubstantiated in the eyes of ignorant beings who, without any basis, not only refuse to encourage others to take a healthier route because they do not possess the discipline to carry a healthy lifestyle themselves but go out of their way to debate facts. Naysayers, they say nay and that's all they say. Thank you for proving my point, keyboard warrior. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2017 at 7:34 PM, SpokaneAl said:

Thai people seem to like to ascribe medicinal properties to a variety of food and drink. I have been eating at Thai restaurants with the family and someone will encourage me to eat a particular soup or dish because the vegetables are good medicine. In most cases it appears to me that the more bitter the vegetables, the stronger medicine they supposedly provide.

I look in wonder each new year as people spend a great deal of hard earned money buying those fancy wrapped holiday packages for other family members, which include a supply of small bottles of something that one is supposed to drink each day.  When they gift someone a thirty day supply I am guessing that is supposed to inoculate that person for the rest of the year.

To be fair, many Westerners are just as bad.  Look at the silly concept of "super foods," people thinking taking huge amounts of vitamin C will cure their cold, and all those ridiculous diets ("Paleo," etc.)...and don't get me started on the absurd belief that we need to eat certain foods/drink certain drinks in order to "detox"....!   Just saying, when it comes to food beliefs with absolutely no basis in science, many Westerners are right up there with Thais.

Edited by Chou Anou
  • Like 2

On 4/25/2017 at 8:13 PM, pieceofcake22 said:

Unsweetened green tea aids in cutting weight granted that you eat clean for the most part. It's also good as an after meal drink because it assists with better digestion

"Cutting weight?!?"  Hahahaha...I rest my case (see my post above).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

Just saying, when it comes to food beliefs with absolutely no basis in science, many Westerners are right up there with Thais.

Let me guess, you don't live a healthy lifestyle ? Too many kilos to carry on ? It's easy to make fun of people who wants to take care of their body and live healthy .  The diet is a part of it. And science is also telling us that. 

Haha, give it up, you don't know anything about me...and I'm not the issue here anyway.  The issue is Westerners who believe in silly superstitions with no basis in science like "foods will detoxify your body," "food (or drink) will cut or melt fat off your body," etc.  Does green tea contain antioxidants?  Sure it does.  But my point is, no food is "magic," and no food is a "superfood."  I fail to see why that would upset you and cause you to try to attack my lifestyle (??? really--think about that for a second), which you know absolutely nothing about and which has no relevance to this discussion whatsoever...unless, of course, you believe in the superstitious nonsense I'm criticizing and you're trying to ignore the message and just attack the messenger.  Someone commented on how Thais are superstitious when it comes to food, and I was merely pointing out that many Westerners are just as superstitious.

• Like 1

It was just a question , since you don't seem to believe in the effects of green tea.  Super food I don't believe in that hype but I do believe in green tea. 

SO do you think the Japanese and Chinese were drinking "fake tea" for 1000's of years ? I think you can search for scientific articles online to prove youre wrong.

Edited by balo

There is green tea ice cream here along with any brand of green tea imaginable to mankind.

I love it for the taste and refreshment value when combined iced with peppermint, was in a KTV bar the other night and they were mixing it with Vodka but that's the Chinese. 

35 minutes ago, balo said:

SO do you think the Japanese and Chinese were drinking "fake tea" for 1000's of years ?

i don't know about fake tea but i know about fake aphrodisiaca and ailment cures (e.g. tiger penis and testicles, rhino horns, bear penises,) in which godzillions of Asians believe since thousands of years. :coffee1:

From bear testicles and tiger paws to crocodile jaws and snake heads, these are just some of the bizarre animal parts being sold in China's so-called medicine markets.

Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) claims all manner of ailments including back ache, poor memory and even cancer can be cured by the natural world.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

getting back to the pleasing taste of genmaicha or green tea with toasted rice went to foodland soi 5 in BKK the other day where they have 200g packs of loose tea with japanese on the package and in a little box in english: 'every day's genmaicha with uji matcha'...there's preparation instructions on the back in english...

all 'superfood' considerations aside, if you've never had it try it, you'll like it...so pleasing in fact that if you drink alot and go on the wagon I've found it serves as an effective substitute/placebo...instead of mixing a drink when ye get outta bed make some genmaicha and then keep a pot goin' thruout the day...'every day's genmaicha'...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Matcha tea from Japan do have health benefits but the powder is expensive to buy here in Thailand. Still 1 kilo if you can find it costs around 1500 baht and will last for months. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Cloggie said:

If you are looking for a drink WITHOUT sugar, it's water or Green Tea - not much choise in Thailand unfortunately....

If you're looking for sugar with green tea added, it's the green tea ice cream from Dairy queen.  I tried it and it a disgusting mess!

• 4 weeks later...