Dutch military "gravely neglected", advisory panel says

webfact

Dutch military "gravely neglected", advisory panel says

REUTERS

r15.jpg

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte of the VVD Liberal party campaigns for the 2017 Dutch election in The Hague, Netherlands, March 8, 2017. REUTERS/Yves Herman

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - The Dutch military has been "gravely neglected" under Prime Minister Mark Rutte's government and even if spending is increased, it will not be in a state of "basic readiness" until 2021 at the earliest, a key government adviser said on Friday.

In a scathing report less than a week before a national election, the Netherlands' Advisory Council on International Affairs advised any incoming government to boost spending to the European average for the coming four years, and to the NATO norm of 2 percent for the subsequent four.

NATO has previously criticized the Netherlands for inadequate military spending, notably on ground forces and operational support. The Dutch spend a little more than 1 percent of GDP on their military, versus the European NATO average of around 1.4 percent.

The Dutch vote in a national election on March 15.

(Reporting by Toby Sterling; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-10

Elections all over Europe and the Hawks start to fly.

US wants a higher spending, we don't......but imho we should.

We always were a reliable member of NATO so inevitable!

On 3/10/2017 at 2:52 PM, hgma said:

Trump has the whole of NATO spooked. Of course like the US the Dutch could cut back on school lunches for the needy a hiring freeze on civil servants and a clampdown on honest laborers to help pay for the madness. And it is sheer madness. Now Asia is talking about becoming nuclearized. Planes and bullets first people last. What oh what is happening in the world today??

On 3/10/2017 at 2:52 PM, hgma said:

Regardless of what you might want, the Netherlands like all other NATO members signed up and pledged to spend a certain amount as part of being a NATO member.

They haven't honored their contractual commitment. 

Like Germany and several others, they were happy to let others pay whilst avoiding their own obligation.

The US, and others like the UK who do pay are quite right to demand others do the same. Or loose the benefits of membership of course.

I remember when Dutch military forces were not required to cut hair, salute officers or obey commands. The Dutch navy was once the envy of the world, now Holland thinks it is up to others to defend their country. They are a token military force now at best. It would take a generation of training to re instil military discipline to the rabble that now exists. I would not require them to boost spending on their own forces, rather to contribute some dollars to those that may choose to defend them.

13 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

I remember when Dutch military forces were not required to cut hair, salute officers or obey commands. The Dutch navy was once the envy of the world, now Holland thinks it is up to others to defend their country. They are a token military force now at best. It would take a generation of training to re instil military discipline to the rabble that now exists. I would not require them to boost spending on their own forces, rather to contribute some dollars to those that may choose to defend them.

My last posting was at a very high level NATO HQ, my boss was Dutch, he rarely worked a full week, simply did not turn up when he felt like it. Some of my subordinates were Dutch, same principle applied. The word discipline meant nothing to them, and the senior officers allowed this to go on for years and years. The HQ would have collapsed without the UK,USA and Canadian input. 

20 minutes ago, stereolab said:

My last posting was at a very high level NATO HQ, my boss was Dutch, he rarely worked a full week, simply did not turn up when he felt like it. Some of my subordinates were Dutch, same principle applied. The word discipline meant nothing to them, and the senior officers allowed this to go on for years and years. The HQ would have collapsed without the UK,USA and Canadian input. 

The Dutch politicians, police, immigration and military have sold their country since WW11. It is no longer Holland. It is a part of EU where all other countries have to pay for the honour of having Holland a part of their phoney state. The only thing left of Holland is the language and that is rapidly declining. Belgian is also gone. And who is moving in?   

3 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Take your pick of any Nth African or East EU countries. Islam was booted out of Europe centuries ago. Now Europe invites them in, no security checks on all who have thrown their ID papers away. I loathe Trump, but he is right about one thing. EU has sold its culture, religion, and future. And they are paying pennies now for their defence. Eu as a major economy will go down the gurgler. They have so many useless economies attached to them. Another useless country with no real economy is Scotland, and if accepted, they will drag EU down even further. And Putin smiles, soon Eu will not be able to defend itself, especially if they use the useless Dutch to lead the fray.

8 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

Dutch have gone soft due to the wacky  baccy and no redemption on militaria

I don't know why Holland has gone so soft. Perhaps it is because they found out in WW11 that you can surrender your country and then rely on other countries soldiers to sacrifice themselves to once again free your country. Either way, the military in Holland is a disgrace.

1 minute ago, boike said:

Dutch Marines and Special forces are still the envy of many nations. Ask those who served with them.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Maybe Zimbabwe would find any Dutch forces in high regard. Lets talk about real special forces. UK, US Aust, NZ, Ruskie, China. These countries have real special forces. I was unfortunate enough to be attached to a Kiwi front line Infantry unit. I thought I was fit, tough and ruthless. They taught me a lesson. I have worked on the side with special forces. Holland is held with total scorn.

3 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

Maybe Zimbabwe would find any Dutch forces in high regard. Lets talk about real special forces. UK, US Aust, NZ, Ruskie, China. These countries have real special forces. I was unfortunate enough to be attached to a Kiwi front line Infantry unit. I thought I was fit, tough and ruthless. They taught me a lesson. I have worked on the side with special forces. Holland is held with total scorn.

PS. Don't insult a Native New Zealander. Especially if they are military trained. I am an Aussie and touched on some contacts with the Aussie SAS.  Did some exercises with them. They are really good, I thought I was good. Kiwi SAS may be almost the best if you talk about tough. Maybe the US has better support, but man on man, god forbid anyone that comes up against an angry Kiwi. They are not the worlds best rugby, the toughest game in the world for nothing