Gawd, I miss Thailand so much.

sipi

Same sentiments here.  I am in the states with wife for some business and R&R.  I miss being home in Thailand versus here in California.  I am way to disconnected now.  Plus I am sick of the relentless Trump talk. People are obsessed. I also caught up some US TV. Lord every commercial is some pharmaceutical company pushing a new drug  and the side effects are worse then the ailment it's supposed to fix.  It's crazy.

8 days and counting.  My wife can't wait to go.......

5 hours ago, JAFO said:

Same sentiments here.  I am in the states with wife for some business and R&R.  I miss being home in Thailand versus here in California.  I am way to disconnected now.  Plus I am sick of the relentless Trump talk. People are obsessed. I also caught up some US TV. Lord every commercial is some pharmaceutical company pushing a new drug  and the side effects are worse then the ailment it's supposed to fix.  It's crazy.

8 days and counting.  My wife can't wait to go.......

+1

But I am not moving back to Thailand anytime soon and now I am just waiting for the Fiance visa to get approved.

I miss Thailand too. I am living in Southern California and the only thing that is better here is the weather. Even on the hottest days, I am comfortable and I don't mind the mild winters either.

I guess if I was rich, the food would be better, but eating out is mostly too expensive. I never cooked for myself in LOS and I ate better than in the USA for a lot less money. However, if you like cooking for yourself, the USA is cheaper for Western food - but restaurants no way!

On 3/10/2017 at 6:46 PM, Ulysses G. said:

I miss Thailand too. I am living in Southern California and the only thing that is better here is the weather. Even on the hottest days, I am comfortable and I don't mind the mild winters either.

I guess if I was rich, the food would be better, but eating out is mostly too expensive. I never cooked for myself in LOS and I ate better than in the USA for a lot less money. However, if you like cooking for yourself, the USA is cheaper for Western food - but restaurants no way!

I definitely prefer the weather here in Cali.  I do miss Thai food but enjoy the variety and cheap prices of food here.  I actually started cooking a lot more in Thailand because I missed the food from here.  It was actually a good thing for me because now I eat a lot less junk here.

That being said, there are a lot of other things that you simply cant recreate here.  I find my life back here so boring.  I used to go on vacation and travel in Thailand and SEA all the time.  Now that I am back home I rarely go anywhere or go out much.  Thailand has so much to offer in the travel department.

I love to hear all the positive comments.

The negative posters should read them all and one day after you leave, you too, may be writing similar content here.

A good mental reset is to leave for two weeks and then return to understand and appreciate how good you had it here.

That goes for all expats living in foreign countries.

I don't think I could ever go back. Here I go to my mail box and it is 99% of the time empty. Once a year a note from Social security. No fearing imminent stops by police for driving 2 K M over the limit or ridiculous fines for anything they can find. The constant blather of politics from victims of everything they can think of. The hideous amount of P C and nanny state interference in ones personal life. Sure the weather can be better in many places. Or the choice of food if you can afford it. It is probably better there if one has the money to live the hi so style. I was fortunate to see the many beautiful places and many of the attractions of much of the world so I don't yearn for more travel . I have had visitors here who hated the place. Just more proof that home is where the heart is.

After living here for 20 years + there is no doubt that Thailand certainly gets its claws into you.

I go abroad for work & to see family sometimes & after 3 days do not feel like I belong anymore in 

places I used to love, More than happy to get back to Thailand  even with all the small irritants this

country has

Thailand can have a lot of small irritants which mostly arise from stupidity or thoughtlessness. That's far outweighed by the positives of living here.

The GF is cooking fish for me tonight - after she's finished my washing and ironing. :smile:

I was going to go back to the USA for 2 months, but when Trump "won?" the election I cancelled my mainland trip and will visit my daughter in Hawaii, for 3 weeks. After that I am not going back as far as I can tell, becoming a bonafide expat. Up at the farm with a secure gate and the world on the other side. I am 72 now and I will leave it to the younger folk to sort it all out.

6 hours ago, nycjoe said:

I was going to go back to the USA for 2 months, but when Trump "won?" the election I cancelled my mainland trip and will visit my daughter in Hawaii, for 3 weeks. After that I am not going back as far as I can tell, becoming a bonafide expat. Up at the farm with a secure gate and the world on the other side. I am 72 now and I will leave it to the younger folk to sort it all out.

When I made my decision  not to live in the USA, I chose hawaii as the closest I wanted to get to the mainland  -  I have a house on Oahu that has been rented out to the US Navy for almost 10 years, have no desire actually live in it, just an investment that has paid off.............

41 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

When I made my decision  not to live in the USA, I chose hawaii as the closest I wanted to get to the mainland  -  I have a house on Oahu that has been rented out to the US Navy for almost 10 years, have no desire actually live in it, just an investment that has paid off.............

Yeah! Hawaii would have been a good place to get in early and make an investment on property there. Just about any investment their would have paid off big time. Just about anytime would have been a good time to enter to.

Well, maybe except on December 7th, 1941. That wasn't the best day their or to buy property. But I bet you could get some good fires sales the next day though.

4 battleships sunk
4 battleships damaged
2 other ships sunk[nb 2]
3 cruisers damaged[nb 3]
3 destroyers damaged
3 other ships damaged
188 aircraft destroyed
159[3] aircraft damaged
2,403 killed
1,178 wounded[4][5]
4 midget submarines sunk
1 midget submarine grounded
29 aircraft destroyed
64 killed
sailor captured[6]
Civilian casualties
68 killed[7][8]
35 wounded[4]
3 aircraft shot down

Some fire sale....maybe a bit inappropriate for anyone to say especially an American.....

On 3/15/2017 at 8:02 AM, williamgeorgeallen said:

thailand is a fantastic place but it wears thin if you buy property or have a business there. i just left after 10 years and will head back to escape the nz winters in the future. i prefer it in moderation.

Had a plan to spend NZ summer in Auckland (or poss Nelson) then head to Thailand for the NZ winter, but that never materialised, so been here (Thailand) for 10 years with just the occasional trip back.

On the trips back I get to missing Thailand............can't win!!

On 3/15/2017 at 2:07 PM, williamgeorgeallen said:

thailand is very much like a beautiful woman. you want her so much but live with her long enough, deal with her bull$h!t and  she does not seem so desirable any more.

So  when  you  abandon what  you  desired so much  what  do  you  go  back to?

4 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

So  when  you  abandon what  you  desired so much  what  do  you  go  back to?

my son turned 5 so we moved back to new zealand for him to start school. the schools are excellent, and free.  have only been back 6 months but seems like it was a good move. new zealand has to be the best country in the world to bring up kids.

In UK for family visits, great to see the family,  but everything else ...... meh.

UK TV - wall to wall cheap entertainment, endless repeats of Top Gear and ads for on-line gambling.

Tax collecting 'smart' motorways - 60, no 50, ah it's changed to 40.....  flash! ah cr@9.  And 20 MPH speed limits - I can run faster than that!  It's all like an automated version of a Thong Lor police stop, but £200 not 200 THB.

Plastic bags are evil, parking is a crime, <deleted> are freaking gigantic, burkas are compulsory, and how can putting out the rubbish be so flipping complex! Blue box for plastic, red box for paper, green bin for vegetation, curb the bins on the correct days or you will be exterminated.

And you need a mortgage to get a taxi, or eat out, or have a foot massage,  and a happy ending is the last episode of a season of Corrie.

The sky is any colour you want so long as it's grey, and you voted for Brexit, get over it.

On 3/15/2017 at 2:07 PM, williamgeorgeallen said:

thailand is very much like a beautiful woman. you want her so much but live with her long enough, deal with her bull$h!t and  she does not seem so desirable any more.

For me that sums up long term relationships and marriage anyway.......not related to just Thailand!!!

17 hours ago, Familyonthemove said:

In UK for family visits, great to see the family,  but everything else ...... meh.

UK TV - wall to wall cheap entertainment, endless repeats of Top Gear and ads for on-line gambling.

Tax collecting 'smart' motorways - 60, no 50, ah it's changed to 40.....  flash! ah cr@9.  And 20 MPH speed limits - I can run faster than that!  It's all like an automated version of a Thong Lor police stop, but £200 not 200 THB.

Plastic bags are evil, parking is a crime, <deleted> are freaking gigantic, burkas are compulsory, and how can putting out the rubbish be so flipping complex! Blue box for plastic, red box for paper, green bin for vegetation, curb the bins on the correct days or you will be exterminated.

And you need a mortgage to get a taxi, or eat out, or have a foot massage,  and a happy ending is the last episode of a season of Corrie.

The sky is any colour you want so long as it's grey, and you voted for Brexit, get over it.

And  now  a genuine sense of humour is only  available in  cans. 

19 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

my son turned 5 so we moved back to new zealand for him to start school. the schools are excellent, and free.  have only been back 6 months but seems like it was a good move. new zealand has to be the best country in the world to bring up kids.

I don't know about New Zealand but I guess it is similar to Australia  so I do agree with you

If   away from Thailand in my country of origin for  any duration I do miss it. Not because I miss the  small irritations of the  way Thai society functions in contrast  to my Westernized expectations or perspective but  because  I miss  my Wife and  family primarily. 

If and  when I travel outside  Thailand it is mostly to  other  SEA locations  for  business. SEA is still reasonably relatively unregulated and unconstricted in terms  of small business investment initiatives. Unfortunately the  Western  world  has  regulated such initiative to near death .Thailand is the least accommodating  in this respect but although  restrictive  for   farang  has  the same  elements.

I  can easily understand the people with young children who would conclude that Thailand  does not provide the quality educational objectives they as  parents would desire  for their  children. It may also be as much concern from the Farang parent who fears the tainting of those same children by Thai social and cultural influences.

I will probably  never live  long  enough to see if  that will  actually  make much difference in  overall outcome.

I have the same questions  about the  majority of  my  grandchildren of  mixed  race who were  born and  live  in a  western  culture.

So  having  relinquished "parental control"  of  my  children  when  they  became  parents I opted  to venture  away  from the mind  numbing  boredom  of regulated  existence 20 years ago. 

After travelling to many parts of the world I am somewhat still to my surprise a willing prisoner to  my  relationship in Thailand . The  University  of Life provides the  best education too late about  what is  of true  value.

( So there  is  my  rave of the  day   and I  hope  it  does  not   offend  too much  the  Orwellians)

4 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

I don't know about New Zealand but I guess it is similar to Australia  so I do agree with you

australia is a great country and i had a hard time choosing between oz and nz. i really enjoyed living in brisbane before moving to thailand. my parents are in nz on a nice farm so nz won out in the end.