Gawd, I miss Thailand so much.

sipi

As time has gone on now I realize that the variables about why one stays or goes is near endless.  No one model fits all.  I have found location and those people's POV are quite interesting.  

In the end we all do what we feel is best for ourselves and families. Again I don't think the US is a bad place. It's just not for me anymore. I felt so much more relaxed as soon as I landed back in Thailand Thursday.  

Thailand is the best place.

There are pros and cons ...  but the positives shore out way the negatives.

No nanny state

No TV adds about funeral cover, insurance.

No same shit programs over and over

At least I can afford to eat out most of the time.

Complete opposite for me. In the USA now and waiting to close on a new house. Unfortunately for several reasons I have to go back to Thailand soon and stay for around 7 months before I can leave for good. At least my savings grow while I am in Thailand so there is a bright side. 

Time me to go on skeleton mode when I get back and spend as lirrle as possible in Thailand. Unfortunately my elite card can't be sold or transferred. 

I am loving it over here and have never been happier in my life. Although unlike some people I never left my country because I hated it or couldn't afford it.

for those that miss it I wish you the best of luck getting back asap just giving perspective from the flip side of the coin.

10 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Complete opposite for me. In the USA now and waiting to close on a new house. Unfortunately for several reasons I have to go back to Thailand soon and stay for around 7 months before I can leave for good. At least my savings grow while I am in Thailand so there is a bright side. 

Time me to go on skeleton mode when I get back and spend as lirrle as possible in Thailand. Unfortunately my elite card can't be sold or transferred. 

I am loving it over here and have never been happier in my life. Although unlike some people I never left my country because I hated it or couldn't afford it.

for those that miss it I wish you the best of luck getting back asap just giving perspective from the flip side of the coin.

Can  appreciate  your thinking in   some  ways. But I am  curious  about  why  you   were in Thailand  before?

I've drunk(en) more Mekhong outside of LOS, than when there... :burp: 

... but the supplies in the larder are bordering on extinction.

you don't have to be there 24/7/365 - if missus can:

chop up her own som tam,

brew up tom yum, and

cook up puu nim

6 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Can  appreciate  your thinking in   some  ways. But I am  curious  about  why  you   were in Thailand  before?

My Husband is an system designer for insurance systems on contract in Bangkok. I had visited Thailand many times and thought Bangkok would grow on me. The longer I have stayed in Bangkok the less I have liked it. 

So I am not really a typical example of many people that move here. At this point I am just in it for the money. When the contract its up we will move to our newly purchased house in the USA. Not looking forward to the long flight coming up in a few days.

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Grauwulf said:
4 battleships sunk
4 battleships damaged
2 other ships sunk[nb 2]
3 cruisers damaged[nb 3]
3 destroyers damaged
3 other ships damaged
188 aircraft destroyed
159[3] aircraft damaged
2,403 killed
1,178 wounded[4][5]
4 midget submarines sunk
1 midget submarine grounded
29 aircraft destroyed
64 killed
sailor captured[6]
Civilian casualties
68 killed[7][8]
35 wounded[4]
3 aircraft shot down

Some fire sale....maybe a bit inappropriate for anyone to say especially an American.....

Oh come on now history is in the eyes of the victors. If the US had done the same to the Japanese fleet it would have been touted as the biggest strategic maritime victory of all time. Thank your deity of choice it wasnt the Japanese dropping 2 nukes on a civillian population then eh? And crowing about it like they did something good.

14 hours ago, anotheruser said:

My Husband is an system designer for insurance systems on contract in Bangkok. I had visited Thailand many times and thought Bangkok would grow on me. The longer I have stayed in Bangkok the less I have liked it. 

So I am not really a typical example of many people that move here. At this point I am just in it for the money. When the contract its up we will move to our newly purchased house in the USA. Not looking forward to the long flight coming up in a few days.

Ah ok. Thanks for the  explanation.

On March 20, 2017 at 2:59 PM, anotheruser said:

If you are a woman, I can see why you would not like Bangkok. I like it, but only for a few days at a time. 

On 3/14/2017 at 10:40 PM, nycjoe said:

I was going to go back to the USA for 2 months, but when Trump "won?" the election I cancelled my mainland trip and will visit my daughter in Hawaii, for 3 weeks. After that I am not going back as far as I can tell, becoming a bonafide expat. Up at the farm with a secure gate and the world on the other side. I am 72 now and I will leave it to the younger folk to sort it all out.

To each their own & always good to be where you feel happy but....

To use Trump as a reason to live in another country AND to choose to live in a military dictatorship as the alternative where you have

to check in every 90 days like a prisoner & ask permission to stay each year, have basically no rights what so ever...well like I said happy your happy but find your reasoning odd at best.

Trump is no more than a sound bite same as Obama was. There are checks and balances in our system for a reason...unlike the system or lack of system in Thailand

On 3/17/2017 at 5:18 PM, steven100 said:

Thailand is the best place.

There are pros and cons ...  but the positives shore out way the negatives.

No nanny state

No TV adds about funeral cover, insurance.

No same shit programs over and over

At least I can afford to eat out most of the time.

Same deal here & do agree pros & cons both sides

Having lived both sides & am now back in the US with wife we have to say there is waaaay less nanny state here

Yes I see cops but unless they have a valid reason they do not & will not stop me & look for a reason like Thailand

Same with all the immigration BS (my wife has dual citizenship so she has nothing hassle here either unlike I did in Thailand)

But I could live with that but LOS just kept sliding downhill in our opinions

TV ad's? Dunno dont do TV we use roku sticks & internet these days

shit programs?? Again we watch what we choose from all over the world free...not TV same as when we lived in Thailand & didn't watch shit programs there...but better speeds here

to stream interesting content

True about it is way cheaper to eat out in Thailand...but quality long term is questionable at times

but my wife is a great cook & we also get great Steaks here for so cheap it is better to stay home & BBQ with some Belgian Beers & salad etc.

To the OP I do hear you though when we first moved we did miss Thailand for a month...then each day passed & we said...you know....

you cant beat this & that etc etc etc...Now more healthy from better foods & better ability to exercise due to less extreme heat & overall

we do smile & say hmmmm

Good Luck though & hope you get back to LOS soon

Edited by mania

On 3/10/2017 at 4:46 PM, Ulysses G. said:

I miss Thailand too. I am living in Southern California and the only thing that is better here is the weather. Even on the hottest days, I am comfortable and I don't mind the mild winters either.

I guess if I was rich, the food would be better, but eating out is mostly too expensive. I never cooked for myself in LOS and I ate better than in the USA for a lot less money. However, if you like cooking for yourself, the USA is cheaper for Western food - but restaurants no way!

I remember you left CM right before we did.

Must have been harder for you as you were there a lot longer than we were if I remember right.

We were there 5 years & at first sad to go but after we settled back into our home which we kept here it is great.

Agreed about the restaurant prices to eat out are a terrible value compared to Thailand

Even when we don't mind paying we are mostly disappointed so we mainly cook at home. Once in awhile lunch or Chinese dinner out

But as you say if you like cooking as my wife does then great meals at home for super cheap.

Giant pork roast is like $6 here & steaks are very reasonable. Beer not that we drink much is a better value here because it is really good beer

for 270 baht a six pack or so on sale at places like Safeway etc.

Good Luck

Edited by mania

5 hours ago, mania said:

I remember you left CM right before we did.

Must have been harder for you as you were there a lot longer than we were if I remember right.

We were there 5 years & at first sad to go but after we settled back into our home which we kept here it is great.

Agreed about the restaurant prices to eat out are a terrible value compared to Thailand

Even when we don't mind paying we are mostly disappointed so we mainly cook at home. Once in awhile lunch or Chinese dinner out

But as you say if you like cooking as my wife does then great meals at home for super cheap.

Giant pork roast is like $6 here & steaks are very reasonable. Beer not that we drink much is a better value here because it is really good beer

for 270 baht a six pack or so on sale at places like Safeway etc.

Good Luck

Resturraunts are a terrible value? Here is a meal from a place called District 36 for three people.i had a Cobb salad which weighed around 5 pounds cost was $11. In Thailand you get a tiny one with hardly any blue cheese bacon eggs etc. for around 280 Baht. Oh don't forget to add generous amounts of Haas avocado.

Certainly not one with organic greens from California. That aside I had. 3 glasses of wine, wild Canadian walleye, my friends had peppercorn steak Deburgo, Root Stout short ribs. 

I also washed it down with a Remy VSOP which isn't my favorite but it is what they had. The other people had a peanut butter mousse pie and a chocolate tiger cake for  dessert.

Total cost was around $112 all in. 

Go to some crappy English pub in Sukhumvit and you won't get that kind of wine and drinks and food for 3,800 Baht for 3 people. 

So I have to respectfully disagree that food is expensive in America unless you don't value the quality of what you are eating.

Here is a picture of the meal and also a picture of a $16 14" pizza Withe ground beef, graziano sausage, green peppers, onions, pepperoni. black and green olives. It weighs like a kilo.

If you like chicken feet sure Thailand is cheap, noodle soup for breakfast again you save. However good quality food and drink in Thailand is expensive and I don't mean the fried eggs your missus makes just to your taste served with a bottle of Chang.

Sorry I didn't realize I only  had a pic of a pizza I had already dug into. Even a pizza like the last pic which is lots Mozza and frozen is 2 pounds of frozen pizza and is better than any Italian shop in Phuket $7 in any shop or gas station, quite a favorable price compared to what Thailand offers. 

Home made sausage, pepperoni, half pound of cheese and something else I can't remember. Also the oven I cooked it in is cheap compared to the prices for those in Thailand and does a good job.

Try that in a toaster oven in a condo in Pattaya I am guessing the oven I used would cost more than $2,000 in Thailand if not more.

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

Edited by anotheruser
mixed pictures up by mistake.

On 3/23/2017 at 2:55 PM, anotheruser said:

Resturraunts are a terrible value? Here is a meal from a place called District 36 for three people.i had a Cobb salad which weighed around 5 pounds cost was $11. In Thailand you get a tiny one with hardly any blue cheese bacon eggs etc. for around 280 Baht. Oh don't forget to add generous amounts of Haas avocado.

Certainly not one with organic greens from California. That aside I had. 3 glasses of wine, wild Canadian walleye, my friends had peppercorn steak Deburgo, Root Stout short ribs. 

I also washed it down with a Remy VSOP which isn't my favorite but it is what they had. The other people had a peanut butter mousse pie and a chocolate tiger cake for  dessert.

Total cost was around $112 all in. 

Go to some crappy English pub in Sukhumvit and you won't get that kind of wine and drinks and food for 3,800 Baht for 3 people. 

So I have to respectfully disagree that food is expensive in America unless you don't value the quality of what you are eating.

Here is a picture of the meal and also a picture of a $16 14" pizza Withe ground beef, graziano sausage, green peppers, onions, pepperoni. black and green olives. It weighs like a kilo.

If you like chicken feet sure Thailand is cheap, noodle soup for breakfast again you save. However good quality food and drink in Thailand is expensive and I don't mean the fried eggs your missus makes just to your taste served with a bottle of Chang.

Sorry I didn't realize I only  had a pic of a pizza I had already dug into. Even a pizza like the last pic which is lots Mozza and frozen is 2 pounds of frozen pizza and is better than any Italian shop in Phuket $7 in any shop or gas station, quite a favorable price compared to what Thailand offers. 

Home made sausage, pepperoni, half pound of cheese and something else I can't remember. Also the oven I cooked it in is cheap compared to the prices for those in Thailand and does a good job.

Try that in a toaster oven in a condo in Pattaya I am guessing the oven I used would cost more than $2,000 in Thailand if not more.

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

Well I think its all about perspective and ones point of view. Its so hard to compare in many cases and the back and forth justifications will never end. 

I like that we have the option to come to the US and visit now versus paying the cost to live in California and pay outrageous taxes. my friend just bought a basic 3 Bdr 2 bath house in an older part of Pleasanton. $895K (31,325,000 baht). This is typical. Now he is burdened with a $3K a month mortgage plus property tax at 1.75% until he dies or sells. Do the math on a 30 year loan at say 3.5 to 4% over that duration.

One night while on our visit there we went out to dinner with another couple to a modest sushi restaurant. For the 4 of us with 2 drinks for our wives  and a tall hot sake for my buddy and I to share was $151 with a tip. Was the food good....It was Sushi. Was it worth $151....No way. 

So it all depends on what one wants from life, how much they want to spend for all the conveniences that  they claim to like but only used  just a fraction of.

Here is totally the opposite. I have a nice piece of land in a nice area with a modest home that is paid for in full. Life is outstanding and I have personal financial freedom most never achieve living in the US unless they are the elite 1%. Most die with a tremendous amount of debt. 

But again, I want to be clear. I do not have an ill feelings towards the US. If it wasn't for the fact that I grew up there and invested properly I wouldn't be able to enjoy the life I am now. Its called making your money work for you. 

On 3/27/2017 at 5:50 PM, JAFO said:

Well I think its all about perspective and ones point of view. Its so hard to compare in many cases and the back and forth justifications will never end. 

I like that we have the option to come to the US and visit now versus paying the cost to live in California and pay outrageous taxes. my friend just bought a basic 3 Bdr 2 bath house in an older part of Pleasanton. $895K (31,325,000 baht). This is typical. Now he is burdened with a $3K a month mortgage plus property tax at 1.75% until he dies or sells. Do the math on a 30 year loan at say 3.5 to 4% over that duration.

One night while on our visit there we went out to dinner with another couple to a modest sushi restaurant. For the 4 of us with 2 drinks for our wives  and a tall hot sake for my buddy and I to share was $151 with a tip. Was the food good....It was Sushi. Was it worth $151....No way. 

So it all depends on what one wants from life, how much they want to spend for all the conveniences that  they claim to like but only used  just a fraction of.

Here is totally the opposite. I have a nice piece of land in a nice area with a modest home that is paid for in full. Life is outstanding and I have personal financial freedom most never achieve living in the US unless they are the elite 1%. Most die with a tremendous amount of debt. 

But again, I want to be clear. I do not have an ill feelings towards the US. If it wasn't for the fact that I grew up there and invested properly I wouldn't be able to enjoy the life I am now. Its called making your money work for you. 

I agree with what you are saying in many ways as well. However to say only the elite 1% can ever live in the USA doesn't ring true. You can find $895K houses in many parts of Thailand as well. 

Outside of California and off the coasts you can easily find houses under $100k, I just bought one in great shape for $63K. I am actually on the deed as the owner as well.

Would  be fun to have a thread about what countries offer that you can not bring up the price of things. I guess I am lucky that I am fortunate enough that price isn't the top of my list when deciding upon places to live. Affordability is a consideration but I won't move some place solely because of that. Every thread here devolves into price. 

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are this man's lawful prey." - Unknown Author.

2 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are this man's lawful prey." - Unknown Author.

Attributed to John Ruskin.

2 hours ago, anotheruser said:

I agree with what you are saying in many ways as well. However to say only the elite 1% can ever live in the USA doesn't ring true. You can find $895K houses in many parts of Thailand as well. 

Outside of California and off the coasts you can easily find houses under $100k, I just bought one in great shape for $63K. I am actually on the deed as the owner as well.

Would  be fun to have a thread about what countries offer that you can not bring up the price of things. I guess I am lucky that I am fortunate enough that price isn't the top of my list when deciding upon places to live. Affordability is a consideration but I won't move some place solely because of that. Every thread here devolves into price. 

I too agree with what you are saying. While I use price as comparison to me its all about the quality of life and ROI. Honestly before my wife and I decided that it was better to move to Thailand we went off and looked at places off the coasts but only as far as AZ etc for a host of reasons. Location being # 1. Sure we looked at homes in the $100 to $200K range but the location was far removed from amenities we wanted and while I could adapt easily this would be a huge stress and burden on my wife to assimilate. It simply would not be fair as I respect her too much and would be terribly selfish. We knew we did not want to live in the Tornado belt. East coast was out of the question as I am done with the cold and shoveling snow was not my idea of fun as I get older. She had no desire either.  Back on the west coast you can find homes that are quite affordable but typically these are located extremely rural and there is no industry and usually the areas are not so nice so again back to the quality of life.

I guess as we age we think a lot more about financial independence yet still want to sustain ones quality of life they have grown accustomed too. The house we built in Thailand would have cost a small fortune in the US in an area where we would want to live. Here in Thailand it was but a small fraction with a very high ROI. That ROI is not about cost, but quality of life. I can retire any time I want and have been in that position now for nearly 6 years.  I work for fun. In the US this would not be possible or let me say extremely challenging.  Its very hard for a late 40 year old man(at that time) to be able to walk when he wants and yet still sustain his life style. Lots of sacrifices and compromises and I was not ready to pull up the barko lounger and watch TV reruns...LOL!

But to your point, Yes there are $800K USD homes in Thailand. I have viewed many in properties for sale when browsing but look at where they are and what one gets for it. Most are in top locations(BKK, Beach View, Mountain views, lots of land etc) But on average one can secure a very nice house in a very good location with many creature comforts with some land for $150 to $200K in Thailand and again no Mortgage Property tax etc.

In the end without question, one can make it work in the US. In fact most are fully conditioned to accept their debt position and work until legal retirement age.  

Edited by JAFO