Visa run to Vientiane from Bangkok

I was just on the phone with a company in Bangkok that arranges all inclusive visa trips to Vientiane . The price is 5500 and she said it includes everything, fees and all. She also said they have multiple vans leaving from their office all afternoon. It all sounds a bit wierd, im in Phuket and the visa trips from here are always booked in advance, she said to just show up and fill out a form and pay up and off you go no problem. Has any one done something like this? I like the idea of everything being arranged. Saves me the hassle with flights and hotels and what not. 

If you use the one UJ advised above they leave BKK at 8pm however do not get there any later than 7 to ensure you reserve your seat

They are legit, I have used them many times and they provide a good service

Just a correction on UJ's post, you pay everything to the drivers before you leave including the visa fee

Edited by darrendsd

3 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Don't worry if you want to use TVS,  just turn up, it's fine

So they have multiple vans aswell or? Im not gonna go all the way from Phuket and then not get a seat. But if its all flexible like the other company thats great

Would also be nice to pay the full amount to the company and not have to exhange for dollars and kips and I dont know what.

Edited by Kaalle

Just now, Kaalle said:

So they have multiple vans aswell or? Im not gonna go all the way from Phuket and then not get a seat. But if its all flexible like the other company thats great

They usually have 3 vans, as I said turn up early and you will be fine

If you are in Phuket, this is what I have done. 

Day 1

Book direct Air Asia flight from Phuket to Udon Thani. It's about 1900 baht.

At Udon Thani Airport, there is active van service to the border. 200 baht

Visa to Laos USD 30-40

Car from border to Vientiane 100 baht

Sleep. 650 baht / night for clean and secure air con room.

Day 2

Next morning tuk-tuk to Thai embassy. They'll take the 1900 baht fee for Single entry visa

Day 3

Collect visa after 1pm

Take a bus to Udon Thani from Vientane bus station

Room at Udon 550 baht

Day 4

Fly back to Phuket from Udon at 5pm. 2000 baht

There is a chance to fly one day earlier, if the transportation from Thai Embassy at Vientiane to Udon Thani is fast. I was not in a hurry and didn't want to risk it. 

I personally have pre-booked only flights to Udon Thani. Everything else just been ad-hoc things. Other transportations, hotels etc. Everything very easy. 

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, oilinki said:

If you are in Phuket, this is what I have done. 

Day 2

Next morning tuk-tuk to Thai embassy. They'll take the 1900 baht fee for Single entry visa

The Visa-Fee is only 1000 Baht for a single-entry Tourist Visa - and this is what I would do if coming from Phuket - certainly preferable to a "first come first serve" visa-service timed to flights.  The only downside, really, is having to haggle with a couple Laos tuk-tuks.

Edited by JackThompson

6 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The Visa-Fee is only 1000 Baht for a single-entry Tourist Visa - and this is what I would do if coming from Phuket - certainly preferable to a "first come first serve" visa-service timed to flights.  The only downside, really, is having to haggle with a couple Laos tuk-tuks.

You are correct about the cost. It was 1000 baht. I didn't check my notes until now and somehow was assuming that it would have been the same cost as extending the visa for further 30 days (or 1 year for non-o). Sorry about that mistake.

Anyway the best way to travel from Phuket to Vientiane is to take the afternoon flight to Udon Thani. It's early enough to cross the border to Laos and find accommodation there for the next day Embassy visit.  

9 minutes ago, mikebell said:

A supplementary question: if I took my TGF with me, does she need a passport on flight to Udon Thani or will Thai ID card do?  Ditto entry into Laos.

No need for a passport to travel domestically just a ID card.

She could enter Laos without a passport but would need to get border pass at an office shortly before the bridge. The fee is about 50 baht dependent upon where she applies for it. It will allow a 3 day stay in Vientiane.

She only needs her id card. To cross into Laos, she will need to get a border pass. This is not expensive, and easily arranged. The border pass allows up to a 3-day stay in Laos, but only in the Vientiane area. It cannot be used to travel, say, to Luang Prabang.

• 3 months later...

On an upcoming trip to Vientiane, I will need to get my SETV at the Thai consulate.   With my schedule, it is possible for me to submit the application either on Monday or Tuesday, and pick up the visa the following afternoon.  

Is Tuesday usually less of a busy day at the consulate?  If there is no difference between Monday and Tuesday, I would rather get it over with on Monday.  However, if Tuesday will mean shorter lines and an easier process, I guess that is when I should go. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

53 minutes ago, Soneva said:

On an upcoming trip to Vientiane, I will need to get my SETV at the Thai consulate.   With my schedule, it is possible for me to submit the application either on Monday or Tuesday, and pick up the visa the following afternoon.  

Is Tuesday usually less of a busy day at the consulate?  If there is no difference between Monday and Tuesday, I would rather get it over with on Monday.  However, if Tuesday will mean shorter lines and an easier process, I guess that is when I should go. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

Tuesday would be the best day to go, no visa companies go there on that day, I would advise against going on Monday as the visa run companies go on that day

Apply Tuesday, before 11 or 11 30 (not sure of the exact time) and pick up Weds afternoon

• Like 1

Tuesday would be the best day to go, no visa companies go there on that day, I would advise against going on Monday as the visa run companies go on that day

Apply Tuesday, before 11 or 11 30 (not sure of the exact time) and pick up Weds afternoon

Thank you so much for the advice. That's exactly what I'll do as my evening departure flight allows ample time to pick up the visa on Wednesday.

I can imagine the queue would be horrendous on Monday, so it would be a self inflicted wound if I voluntarily chose to do it on that day when I could just as well go on Tuesday;)

By the way, when do you think is the optimal time to arrive at the consulate? Is it advisable to go as early as possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 minutes ago, Soneva said:

By the way, when do you think is the optimal time to arrive at the consulate? Is it advisable to go as early as possible?

On a Tuesday ,I would suggest either around opening time, or between 10:30 and 11:00. The advantage of being early is mainly that you get a low number for collection on Wednesday, which can be important if you have an earlier flight.

• Like 1

On a Tuesday ,I would suggest either around opening time, or between 10:30 and 11:00. The advantage of being early is mainly that you get a low number for collection on Wednesday, which can be important if you have an earlier flight.

Thanks. I'll have to decide what the lesser of two evils is, waking up early on Tuesday, or getting a higher number for pick up on Wednesday...

I am taking the evening flight home, so that is not an issue. Does getting a higher number mean I can simply show up later to pick up my passport, or does that necessitate waiting longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, Soneva said:

Thanks. I'll have to decide what the lesser of two evils is, waking up early on Tuesday, or getting a higher number for pick up on Wednesday...

I am taking the evening flight home, so that is not an issue. Does getting a higher number mean I can simply show up later to pick up my passport, or does that necessitate waiting longer?

Just show up later on Wednesday.

• Like 1

No need for a passport to travel domestically just a ID card.
She could enter Laos without a passport but would need to get border pass at an office shortly before the bridge. The fee is about 50 baht dependent upon where she applies for it. It will allow a 3 day stay in Vientiane.

To add to Joe's comment. The office for your girlfriend to get the 3 day pass into Vientiane does not open until 8am yet the border opens at 6am so you will have to wait an additional two hours before she can cross the border.

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for the above advice re day of the week. Tuesday proved to not be crowded at all.

For future reference, which are the days to avoid at the Vientiane consulate, if possible?

I know Tuesday and Friday are optimal. How are the other days?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect