Experience this week in Phuket obtaining a driving license

RandG

This week, my wife (German passport / UK driving license) and I (British Passport / UK Driving license) went along to the

Phuket Land Transport Office to get Thai driving licenses for cars (no motorbike). We arrived about 07:30 and found about 15 Thais in front of us. Doors opened a few minutes after we arrived.  There is a bit of too'ing and fro'ing required between the first "Information Desk" and Desk 6, but basically they took the following from us:

Copy of Passport page, copy of our O-A retirement visas issued in London, residence certificate from immigration, medical certificate we had obtained a few days before (THB 100 from a doctor in Chalong) and a copy of our UK international licenses obtained from a UK Post Office  (£ 5.50)when we last in the UK (no interest in actual UK license). We had to fill in one form while we were there (just full name and phone number).

Next step was to queue up in one of the downstairs rooms where we had the test for reaction time (basically foot on an accelerator pedal and then brake when a green light changes to red. In the same room, there is a test where miniature traffic lights change at random intervals between Green / Amber (Yellow) / Red, which you just need to call out. While this is happening, other applicants are crowding around watching. When you enter this room, put your bundle of papers from Desk 6 into the blue tray in the middle of room. This is used to control the "queue" and your name is called out when it is your turn.

After this, we went back to desk 6 where we paid THB 205 and given a queue number. 10  minutes later we were called to desk 5 where they took our photographs, paid a further THB 110 and a few minutes after that, our driving licenses popped out of a printer. Again, put your bundle of papers into the plastic tray to fix your place in the queue.

By 08:45, we were out of the Land Transport Office, with our licenses. All very painless. These "temporary licenses" are valid for 2 years, after which we can apply for 5 year licenses. All the staff spoke sufficient English for us to communicate with no problems and were very helpful.

Although we did not want motorbike licenses, we understand that to apply for both a car and motorbike license, you need to take 2 original residence certificates, 2 original doctors certificates, and then 2 copies of passport / visa / international license.

Good luck to other applicants.

Although we did not want motorbike licenses, we understand that to apply for both a car and motorbike license, you need to take 2 original residence certificates, 2 original doctors certificates, and then 2 copies of passport / visa / international license.

For 2 licenses 1x original residence certificate and 1x original medical certificate suffice.

It only went smooth because you had the international licenses also.  If not you would have been told to come back at a later date (several dates actually) for the 2 movies, the written exam and the practical which is very difficult for some people since the camera/computer system has been installed.  Phuket has recently cut backlog so my GF got through it in a week.  The international license will save you a world of pain. I highly recommend getting it by any means necessary (mailing from a friend over seas or whatever). ALSO, best to apply for motorbike and car at the same time even if you think you might not need one or the other because if you don't apply at the same time you must do the entire process twice.

Same thing in Mukdahan last month. Onley they did not want my international driving licens, only the original licens.

I asked for a car licens, AND a motorbike licens. I have never had for motorbike before.

20 minutes after I was handed a car licens, and a motorbike licens. No test, part from the reaktion test.

As an expat who needs to renew my Thai license more often than other expats, thanks for the post.

That said, it changes week to week, and is not uniform with DLT Offices in other parts of Thailand. 

I personally know a guy, who admitted to me, he has never been on a motorbike in his life, and who went to the DLT Office in Issan (I forget which one) and during the process they asked him if he also wanted a motorbike license, and of course, he said yes, and walked out with both licenses - no video, no computer test, no practical test, and no doctors certificate, and 5 years.

I immediately asked, "How much did that cost you?"  He replied, '"Normal price."  Go figure.

Edited by NamKangMan

7 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

I personally know a guy, who admitted to me, he has never been on a motorbike in his life, and who went to the DLT Office in Issan (I forget which one) and during the process they asked him if he also wanted a motorbike license, and of course, he said yes, and walked out with both licenses - no video, no computer test, no practical test, and no doctors certificate, and 5 years.

They did'nt ask if he could drive a motorcycle because for a Thai everybody can drive a motorcycle before he or she can walk.

Normal procedure here.:cheesy::cheesy:

On 3/11/2017 at 10:17 AM, ThaiWai said:

It only went smooth because you had the international licenses also.  If not you would have been told to come back at a later date (several dates actually) for the 2 movies, the written exam and the practical which is very difficult for some people since the camera/computer system has been installed.......

Where does one obtain an international drivers license?

15 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

In the USA you can get them for $15-20 (I don't remember exactly) at AAA Automotive Association of America) with a valid state drivers license, they are good for a year.

51 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

From yr home country. In the UK, either from a main Post Office, or by post from the AA. Do not know about other countries.