Tragedy as three Korat schoolchildren drown celebrating exam success.

rooster59

Tragedy as three Korat schoolchildren drown celebrating exam success.

aHR0cDovL3BlMi5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzQzNi8yMTgxNTU4L25ld3MxMC5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

Three teenagers drowned in a Korat reservoir yesterday after going to play in the water to celebrate a 14 year old girl's end of term exam result.

M1 student Woranuch,14, had placed 6th in the grade at Jakarat Withaya School in Tha Chang sub-district.

So along with nine friends they had all gone to celebrate the end of term and her success at the Krok Mai Daeng reservoir.

But Woranuch got into difficulty in a section of water that was too deep and she could not swim. Two male friends, 14 year old Wuthinan and 17 year old Aphiwat, heroically swam to her aid.

But Woranuch was panicking and she dragged her two friends down with her.

Chalerm Prakiat police were called to the scene by some of the students who said that three of their friends were now missing.

Divers were brought in and all three were found dead under the water. Woranuch and Wuthinan were still in school uniform when they were found.

The bodies were sent for autopsy and would thereafter be released to relatives for cremation ceremonies, reported sanook.com.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-11

Tragic. Unfortunately many Thais don't know how to swim. According to the swimsafe.org website 7 Thai children die from drowning everyday. 2,645 per year. About 50% of these drownings, according to the website's stats, are between the ages of 1-4. I wonder what the figures are in Thailand regarding drownings in khlongs(canals)/dams/reservoirs. I've been in a khlong or two and there bloody dangerous and now it's school holidays for some or about to be for the rest and the temps about to skyrocket, these places will be full of people who can't swim, many who have had way too much to drink.

12 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Tragic. Unfortunately many Thais don't know how to swim. According to the swimsafe.org website 7 Thai children die from drowning everyday. 2,645 per year. About 50% of these drownings, according to the website's stats, are between the ages of 1-4. I wonder what the figures are in Thailand regarding drownings in khlongs(canals)/dams/reservoirs. I've been in a khlong or two and there bloody dangerous and now it's school holidays for some or about to be for the rest and the temps about to skyrocket, these places will be full of people who can't swim, many who have had way too much to drink.

Holy sh!t, i was aware of 'too many' but that number is truly mind-blowing ... 

Have a look at the pic of following recent related topic, how many Thai-kids you counting ...?!

Drowning is the most common cause of death of Thai children under the age of 15. The usual contributing factors: lack of parental supervision, lack of education, fatalism, lack of self preservation. The girl could not swim and went to a reservoir. I ride my bike past a new reservoir just south of Hua Hin and regularly see kids playing by the side. Only a matter of time I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, bangkokorbust said:

Surely those figures are not right.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

If it's important enough for you to comment, then I feel it equally important that you consider Google a very close friend. Use it...! You will be surprised what you will find. Those numbers ARE RIGHT...!

13 minutes ago, fish monger said:

Those numbers ARE RIGHT..

Yes the figures are correct---however that does put Thailand 2nd from Bottom for swimming deaths for the region covered. Vietnam--32 children die every day --Bangladesh 46 die everyday,

There are a lot of inland swimming deaths in the Thai rural areas most rice farms have a lake built --extra water for the rice--these have no real easy way to get out, (mud sides etc) especially when the water in them has dropped .

There were 420 water-related deaths from accidents  across the UK .(these are all age groups)

That figure sounds good doesn't it--but if you come from there you would know that if its a really great summer there might be a 6--or even 8 week period where you would want to go swimming.

So times that by 6 or 7.....

Edited by oxo1947

57 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Yes the figures are correct---however that does put Thailand 2nd from Bottom for swimming deaths for the region covered. Vietnam--32 children die every day --Bangladesh 46 die everyday,

There are a lot of inland swimming deaths in the Thai rural areas most rice farms have a lake built --extra water for the rice--these have no real easy way to get out, (mud sides etc) especially when the water in them has dropped .

There were 420 water-related deaths from accidents  across the UK .(these are all age groups)

That figure sounds good doesn't it--but if you come from there you would know that if its a really great summer there might be a 6--or even 8 week period where you would want to go swimming.

So times that by 6 or 7.....

I'm wondering what the numbers are for the US...I'm almost afraid to look it up....:sad:

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

She didn't pass the common sense test of life on how to stay alive...

She goes into deep water in her school uniform not equipped with the skill of the ability to swim...

She probably rode her scooter there w/o a helmet the wrong way to get to the swimming hole...

There are consequences for stupidity....and nothing will be learned from this case sadly... 

Yes the impetuousness of youth. RIP to the girl and brave lads. I personally witnessed one of these swimming deaths when I was young. A youngster tried swimming in one of these runoff ponds that accumulate water in a farmers field tragic. 

10 minutes ago, Get Real said:

No shit!?

Lol... yer.. I know

and who would have guessed, but if you excluded alcohol , drugs and pre existing health problems etc from the equation (most deaths in the 20 to 25 age group), then the rate drops significantly.

Are we assuming the two boys knew how to swim let alone strong enough to rescue a human...

first common sense rule of survival and rescue - don't become a victim yourself...

emotion on over common sense assessment and you have more victims...

and yes critical thinking plays into it even more so in times of an emergency...

just not smart....

16 minutes ago, SGD said:

That is the root cause of this.

Despite finishing 6th in a list of students, this was not intelligent enough not to go "swimming" in a reservoir when you can't swim.

Sad but Darwinism at its best here.

Far worse for the other kids who went in to save her and also drowned. Perhaps if they were better educated (and assuming they could actually swim) then they would have known not to enter the water in full uniform.

This from an ex national level swimmer and lifeguard.

A bit OTT with the Darwinism comment... esp from someone motivated enough to learn / be a lifeguard

but otherwise.... more or less correct, and as you know, rescuing a swimmer in trouble, isn't as straight forward as it may seem, (as others suggest) but requires knowledge and training

unfortunately, without this knowledge and training, even two would be rescuers, with poor swimming skills, can go down as well, in a drowning persons panicked death grip.

its all rather sad, really... and perhaps a result of a society that seems to prize "white skin" keeping them from getting into the sun, and water, in appropriate swimming gear.... perhaps an argument in favor of the seemingly unpopular burkini etc etc.

Children lost their lives by tragic accident. I dont see what is to be gained, and it certainly isnt clever, by insulting the poor girl that lost her life.

Any further derogatory remarks will be removed.

Most of these drowning victims are in rural areas, parents can't swim, chances for children to learn are minimal. 

How many swimming pools in rural areas? 

Maybe bring it in as part of the school sports curriculum. 

Unfortunately the opportunity for most Thai to learn are few.