SETV conversion

Hello,

I am looking at the option of entering Thailand on a SETV obtained in London, then converting in Thailand to a Non O, based on retirement. My 800k baht will already be in place in a Thai bank prior to the conversion. My three questions are -

1/ What documents  are required to convert from the SETV to a multiple entry Non O, and when during the 90 days(extended from 60 to 90) of my SETV visa should I apply ?

2/ What documents are required to apply for the 1st extension (of the Non O) and when during the life of the Non O should I apply for this extension ?

3/ What documents are required for subsequent yearly extensions, and when should you apply ?.

Many thanks in advance....

1. You would not apply for a multiple entry non-o visa.

First you would apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry. The fee for it is 2000 baht. You could apply for it at any time during the 60 day entry up     to the last 15 days of it or the 30 day extension of it. You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply.

You need a completed TM86 form. Copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry stamp and TM6 departure card. A letter from the bank to confirm your account, the balance and that the funds were transferred from abroad. Copies of you bank book pages.

The change cannot be done at all immigration offices. Where would be applying for it?

2. Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you would apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. The 800k baht would have to be in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply. You would use a TM7 form for the application. Same copies of your passport. You would need a bank letter and copies of your bank book. The fee is 1900 baht.

If you want to travel you need to get a re-entry permit. A single re-entry permit costs 1000 baht and multiple 3800 baht.

Thank you for the quick reply. My local immigration office which I would hope to use is Chiang Khan. If they can not do the conversion then it would be a trip to BKK. Do you know if Chiang Khan can do this please ?

19 minutes ago, Putmak said:

Thank you for the quick reply. My local immigration office which I would hope to use is Chiang Khan. If they can not do the conversion then it would be a trip to BKK. Do you know if Chiang Khan can do this please ?

Chiang Khong cannot do the conversion, You would have to make 2 trips to Bangkok to get the visa/entry stamps 15 days apart.

You could also apply at the consulate in Savannakhet Laos. You would need proof of retirement and the bank book showing the 800k baht to apply.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Chiang Khong cannot do the conversion, You would have to make 2 trips to Bangkok to get the visa/entry stamps 15 days apart.

You could also apply at the consulate in Savannakhet Laos. You would need proof of retirement and the bank book showing the 800k baht to apply.

The 2 trips to Bangkok would not present a problem, but i'm sorry but i don't understand what you mean "to get the visa/entry stamps 15 days apart" ??

5 hours ago, Putmak said:

The 2 trips to Bangkok would not present a problem, but i'm sorry but i don't understand what you mean "to get the visa/entry stamps 15 days apart" ??

You must apply for the conversion in Bangkok which is then under consideration. 15 days later you must return to Bangkok to collect your 90-day non immigrant entry. This is a prerequisite to applying for your one year extension (during the last 30 days of that 90-day entry) at your local immigration office.

Got it !....many thanks BritTim. Just to confirm my understanding then, the application for the conversion can only be made in Bangkok , and then if successful return 15 days later to collect. BTW, which office in Bangkok would i need to visit please ?.    

35 minutes ago, Putmak said:

Got it !....many thanks BritTim. Just to confirm my understanding then, the application for the conversion can only be made in Bangkok , and then if successful return 15 days later to collect. BTW, which office in Bangkok would i need to visit please ?.    

Your understanding is correct. Your local office is not allowed to do it and, in that situation, it must be done in Bangkok. The application is made at Chaeng Wattana. If they accept the application, in practice, being granted the non immigrant entry is almost 100% guaranteed.

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Your understanding is correct. Your local office is not allowed to do it and, in that situation, it must be done in Bangkok. The application is made at Chaeng Wattana. If they accept the application, in practice, being granted the non immigrant entry is almost 100% guaranteed.

Great, many thanks. However not wishing to complicate the issue, i have just been reading elsewhere that applying for a single entry Non Imm O maybe easyer to do in Penang, or Vientiane. Do you have any thoughts on this option at all ?  

1 hour ago, Putmak said:

Great, many thanks. However not wishing to complicate the issue, i have just been reading elsewhere that applying for a single entry Non Imm O maybe easyer to do in Penang, or Vientiane. Do you have any thoughts on this option at all ?  

It is often best of all to get a single entry Non O in home country before coming to Thailand, but that can difficult in a few countries. Once here, if the two visits to Bangkok are easy for you, the trip to a consulate outside Thailand is probably not a better option just to have the correct type of entry in your passport. However, someone who has never been to, say, Penang (especially if the Bangkok trips would be a pain) might find it more fun to combine a short holiday with getting a Non Immigrant O visa. Really, it is up to you.

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It is often best of all to get a single entry Non O in home country before coming to Thailand, but that can difficult in a few countries. Once here, if the two visits to Bangkok are easy for you, the trip to a consulate outside Thailand is probably not a better option just to have the correct type of entry in your passport. However, someone who has never been to, say, Penang (especially if the Bangkok trips would be a pain) might find it more fun to combine a short holiday with getting a Non Immigrant O visa. Really, it is up to you.

Thanks, the Non O from the UK is (i think ) a non starter, as although i am over 50 and retired i do not have a state pension yet. (or Thai wife). The two trips to BKK would be fine. Just 45mins flight away, so no probs. So yes i think this would probably be the best option. Many thanks for your prompt and clear replies. All the best, cheers.     

Hello,
I am looking at the option of entering Thailand on a SETV obtained in London, then converting in Thailand to a Non O, based on retirement. My 800k baht will already be in place in a Thai bank prior to the conversion. My three questions are -

1/ What documents  are required to convert from the SETV to a multiple entry Non O, and when during the 90 days(extended from 60 to 90) of my SETV visa should I apply ?

2/ What documents are required to apply for the 1st extension (of the Non O) and when during the life of the Non O should I apply for this extension ?

3/ What documents are required for subsequent yearly extensions, and when should you apply ?.

If you are going to go to the trouble of getting a visa from the London Embassy why not get the visa which fits your requirments?
A single entry 'non Immigrant O-A long stay' is what they call it. It costs 50 GBP. On entry you will get 90 days stay. You then apply to have it extended to a one year stay at your local Immigration Office, with proof of funds. You can then continue to get permission to stay stamps for one year each on the anniversary of your entry to Thailand.
Surely that is a lot less trouble than what you are planning.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

49 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

If you are going to go to the trouble of getting a visa from the London Embassy why not get the visa which fits your requirments?
A single entry 'non Immigrant O-A long stay' is what they call it. It costs 50 GBP. On entry you will get 90 days stay. You then apply to have it extended to a one year stay at your local Immigration Office, with proof of funds. You can then continue to get permission to stay stamps for one year each on the anniversary of your entry to Thailand.

A OA visa allows a one year entry and they are only issued as a multiple entry visa.

You are describing a single entry non-o visa that is not available in the OP"s case in the UK. The are only available to those 65 or over and drawing state pension.

3 hours ago, Putmak said:

Vientiane at this time is not a good place to try and get a single entry non-o visa. They have turned people away recently after telling them they need medical certificate and police certificate.

I mentioned Savannakhet Laos in a earlier post. Penang is also a good place to get the visa. Both want proof you are retired if using the 800k baht for financial proof. Many people have gotten a income letter from their embassy to use for the proof of retirement.

42 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

would be easier if possible which it is not, read up on non immigrant 'O' visa's and the non immigrant 'O''A' visa's two different birds

All this terminology is confusing. I refer to a Non Immigrant visa for people over 50 years of age and pensioners.
which I take to be the standard visa for people who intend to apply for a retirement extension in Thailand.
it is No. 4 on the embassy's price list. Non Imm. valid for three months, single entry length of stay 90 days. 50 GBP
I am not using a computer so don't nit pick on the phrasology. Also I pointed out to the embassy that they have more visas on their pricelist than they mention in 'types of visa' and they referred me back to information pages. The art of communication by the written word seems to have been lost by them.
That is the visa that I intend to apply for because it looks as if it were designed for my purpose, come to Thailand provide proof and extend the visa to one year.

Hello,

My reply was to you Putmak. Why don't you get the visa you need and save yourself a lot of trouble?

I have a motive for concerning myself with your case because in September I will need to do what you are doing and would be reassured if you managed without the inconvenience you plan.

I assume that you have been staying in Thailand on short term visas so are probably accustomed to 'jumping through hoops' but now that you have the opportunity to stay without a lot of travel and expense, why not take it?

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

All this terminology is confusing. I refer to a Non Immigrant visa for people over 50 years of age and pensioners.
which I take to be the standard visa for people who intend to apply for a retirement extension in Thailand.
it is No. 4 on the embassy's price list. Non Imm. valid for three months, single entry length of stay 90 days. 50 GBP

Best not to look at only the fee page. From: http://new.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa#section5

Category "O"   To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)

That means you must be 65 or over for all intents and purposes.

The next option is the OA long stay visa that is only issued as a multiple entry visa.

Category
"O-A"

To applicants aged 50 and over who wish to stay in Thailand for an extended period without the intention of working. 

6 hours ago, tgeezer said:

My reply was to you Putmak. Why don't you get the visa you need and save yourself a lot of trouble?

I have a motive for concerning myself with your case because in September I will need to do what you are doing and would be reassured if you managed without the inconvenience you plan.

I assume that you have been staying in Thailand on short term visas so are probably accustomed to 'jumping through hoops' but now that you have the opportunity to stay without a lot of travel and expense, why not take it?

Many thank for your replies and interest. My situation is I will be living in Thailand long term, but wish to return to the UK as and when I need. As far as I can see I have 3 options. They are :-

1/ Apply for the Non O-A in London( over 50, retired, but not over 65 with state pension)

2/ Apply for the Non O in Thailand( can't apply for this in London because not 65 and not married).

3/ Thailand Elite Visa. Ok costs 1 million up front, but 800k baht in the bank for options 1&2 is kind of dead money anyway, so not much difference. 90 reporting, but no extension hassle each year, free to come and go as you please, etc....

So what do I/will I do ?....just doing the prep' and getting my ducks lined up....

Good luck with you plans too.....cheers.

20 minutes ago, Putmak said:

1/ Apply for the Non O-A in London( over 50, retired, but not over 65 with state pension)

2/ Apply for the Non O in Thailand( can't apply for this in London because not 65 and not married).

Those are both good options.

The OA visa would allow you to travel as much as you want to for two years. Just be sure you do an entry just before the visa expires and then get a multiple re-entry permit to keep that  last entry valid after the visa expires.

You can get a multiple re-entry after you get the one year extension of stay. You would only have to be here to apply for your next extension.

Many thank for your replies and interest. My situation is I will be living in Thailand long term, but wish to return to the UK as and when I need. As far as I can see I have 3 options. They are :-
3/ Thailand Elite Visa. Ok costs 1 million up front, but 800k baht in the bank for options 1&2 is kind of dead money anyway, so not much difference. 90 reporting, but no extension hassle each year, free to come and go as you please, etc....

So what do I/will I do ?....just doing the prep' and getting my ducks lined up....

Good luck with you plans too.....cheers.

1. Being over 50 you qualify for a retirement visa, if you are prepared to show a minimum of 800000 Bt for two months before extending then all you need is a visa which can be extended for a year. There must be such a visa available from London, there certainly was twelve years ago when I did exactly that at the age of 65. Many people deposit the 800000Bt and keep it intact but it isn't a condition.
3. The Thailand elite visa is one million baht spent to save on extention and reentry permit fees, you still need to spend the 800000 baht for living expenses each year, in theory.

I have been happily spending five months in Thailand every year for the past twelve on a retirement visa extension and one re-entry permit each year, I could have travelled more if I had wanted to using a multi re-entry permit. You can do the same for a little under two years with the oft recommended Non imm A-O but in the end you still need an extension to stay longer.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Those are both good options.

The OA visa would allow you to travel as much as you want to for two years. Just be sure you do an entry just before the visa expires and then get a multiple re-entry permit to keep that  last entry valid after the visa expires.

You can get a multiple re-entry after you get the one year extension of stay. You would only have to be here to apply for your next extension.

23 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

1. Being over 50 you qualify for a retirement visa, if you are prepared to show a minimum of 800000 Bt for two months before extending then all you need is a visa which can be extended for a year. There must be such a visa available from London, there certainly was twelve years ago when I did exactly that at the age of 65. Many people deposit the 800000Bt and keep it intact but it isn't a condition.
3. The Thailand elite visa is one million baht spent to save on extention and reentry permit fees, you still need to spend the 800000 baht for living expenses each year, in theory.

I have been happily spending five months in Thailand every year for the past twelve on a retirement visa extension and one re-entry permit each year, I could have travelled more if I had wanted to using a multi re-entry permit. You can do the same for a little under two years with the oft recommended Non imm A-O but in the end you still need an extension to stay longer.

Taking everything into consideration, with my 3 options i think the Non O-A from London is looking favourite. At least the hoops i will have to jump through to initially get the visa will be UK hoops....!. Regarding the 800k baht "dead money in the bank", at least its still in the bank, and its still my money, as opposed to splashing out 1 million on the TE visa....So i guess that makes sense.  Either way you still have to do the 90 day report, so no advantage their either. And 1 day a year in an immigration office for the extension renewal is no great hardship.

So thanks for your thoughts and advice, i am pretty sure which way i shall approach this now.....The next can of worms to open is, shall i maintain a property in the UK as a "bolt hole" should all of the wheels fall off in Thailand.....or not ??...    

I keep my bungalow in UK because I stay there for seven months. A brother an sis in law keep an eye on it and run the car a few times. I have just noticed I said 65, I was actually 60 so less than pension age when I got a 90 day visa. I don't like that AO visa because it is more than required. It seems to be designed for people who are not prepared to prove their financial status. The O visa says married, and pension letter from which an age restriction has been assumed, but I believe that it is only a précis, additionally the 800000bt option should also be available for an O visa. If you review the application forms I think that becomes apparent.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

5 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I keep my bungalow in UK because I stay there for seven months. A brother an sis in law keep an eye on it and run the car a few times. I have just noticed I said 65, I was actually 60 so less than pension age when I got a 90 day visa. I don't like that AO visa because it is more than required. It seems to be designed for people who are not prepared to prove their financial status. The O visa says married, and pension letter from which an age restriction has been assumed, but I believe that it is only a précis, additionally the 800000bt option should also be available for an O visa. If you review the application forms I think that becomes apparent.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

ok, thanks.