Closest border to bkk

You could go the the crossing at Ban Phu Nam Ron in Kanchanaburi province to Myanmar. Fee for transport across no mans land and the Myanmar border pass is 960 baht.

Next is a crossing to Cambodia. The nearest crossing is Poi Pet but I suggest going to Ban Laem since is a friendlier crossing. There have been reports of Poi Pet telling people that cannot do another crossing there with a multiple entry non-o visa like you have.

The fee for a Cambodian visa on arrival $30 or up to 1500 baht.

You can cross the border, enter the other country and turnaround come back to Thailand. 

• Like 1

You will get a 90 day entry.

It is not that busy of a crossing so anytime is good. 

You will pay the 960 baht at travel agent after the Thai departure immigration. You will then take a van or pickup to the Myanmar side. Reports are the driver will take your passport and handle everything to get your arrival and departure stamps for Myanmar while you wait.

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, stevymac said:

Best way to get from bkk to ban phu Mam Ron? Can take train there?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The crossing is 70 km from downtown Kanchanaburi. The train won't get you much closer - will need a bus or minivan service for the last leg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevymac said:

Ubonjoe u know of any good reputable travel agents on the Myanmar side? Do I need to pay for a visa when entering Myanmar?

When doing an in/out border hop, you just get a (limited time, limited radius) border pass on the Myanmar side. The cost varies depending on the location, typically $10 to $20 or so, with sometimes the need to pay for travel through no-mans land.

If you wish actually to travel in Myanmar, you have the option of applying for an e-visa, only usable at some entry points, or (cheaper) getting a visa at the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok.

Edited by BritTim

I haven't done it in a while but previously I have done the day trip border run to Cambodia and the border for a visa from Bangkok.

You leave by van from Bangkok early morning (6 a.m. typically WIth two "comfort and toilet stops") on the way, spend an hour at the border to get your new visa stamp, eat a quick lunch, and then return to Bangkok by same mini-van.

takes about 12 hours total including the stops each way.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
correct typo

In mid-Feb I went to Poi Pet for 1 yr 'O' M visa 90 day in & out renewal and was told that I must stay out at least 1 day. I was let thru "this time as it was my 1st " but not to try it again.

I had previously done this several times over many years on multiple entry tourist visas, last April being the most recent.

now no more.

7 minutes ago, 38YEARS said:

In mid-Feb I went to Poi Pet for 1 yr 'O' M visa 90 day in & out renewal and was told that I must stay out at least 1 day. I was let thru "this time as it was my 1st " but not to try it again.

I had previously done this several times over many years on multiple entry tourist visas, last April being the most recent.

now no more.

The is a Poi Pet rule. You can do it as at an out and back at most other crossings (not in the south though).

22 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Does anyone know if I can ride my bike across no-mans-land to get my Burmese stamp? I'd hate to pay nearly 1,000 Baht for a 4km return trip...

Thanks.

I don't think they will but you could try.

The 960 baht it costs includes 500 baht for the border pass to Myanmar.

1 minute ago, stevymac said:

I'm doing just a quick out in border run for an extra 90 days. Anyone know any good hotels to stay in in kanchanaburi? Cheers guys

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I've stayed at Sabai @ Karn several times... 14.0392308, 99.5119668

5 hours ago, 38YEARS said:

now no more.

In addition to Poi Pet, note that some IOs at Airports are reported to be less friendly to people entering on Non-O Multiple visas now.  Other land-crossings might become less friendly in the future - or not - who knows - but best to be prepared for anything and make it worry-free. 

I would suggest taking a copy of your marriage certificate, 20K Baht in cash or travelers checks, proof of where you live/stay in Thailand, and proof of your source of income (unless you have a Thai work-permit).  The cash is a is a legal requirement for entry on 60-day (TR) and 90-day visa-entries, so not having it provides a justification of denial of entry.  The rest are to answer any of the IOs questions to their satisfaction - to avoid or at least offset being called a liar, illegal-worker, etc.

Most likely, and unless something has changed at these crossings recently, you will need none of this - but it cannot hurt to be prepared.

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

In addition to Poi Pet, note that some IOs at Airports are reported to be less friendly to people entering on Non-O Multiple visas now.

There was only one report of that happening at Don Mueang. You are doing a bit of scare mongering based upon one report and he was not denied entry.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There was only one report of that happening at Don Mueang. You are doing a bit of scare mongering based upon one report and he was not denied entry.

That is true - just one case so far there - plus Poi Pet.  We can hope this will not go further.  I don't think it's scaremongering, because I noted ...

11 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Most likely, and unless something has changed at these crossings recently, you will need none of this - but it cannot hurt to be prepared.

If it were me in the OP's shoes, I'd rather have the heads up - to have everything the possibly rogue IO at Don Muang wanted to see.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone compiled a simple (or maybe not so simple) matrix to indicate which borders/ transport modes and embassies/consulates are best for different situations? (Edit- and just as importantly- the ones to avoid)

It seems to vary based on the visa type, how many historical entries, marital status, and whether Jupiter aligns with Mars this week. 

Edited by impulse

6 minutes ago, steve187 said:

is ban pakard good for a border hop, out on a expiring non 'o' 60 day wife extension, back on a first time visa exempt. need 8 days extra for a change of flight date.

It should not be a problem.

You could get 7 days after paying 1900 baht for an extension that is declined.

It is noted that you can get a 60 day extension ( above comment ) on an expiring non "O' m visa, but I seem to have read in these posts that a 1 year " O " M visa may be extended for a second year, totalling a 2 year visa period.

This would not be a marriage or retirement extension.

How does this work ?

if so, what are the requirements, cost and forms to be used.

the original non "O" M visa was based only on one of my daughters' signed copies of their Thai ID cards & Thai birth certificates.

the consulate lady said that the visa name of marriage is a bit of a misnomer as it is actually based on " FAMILY "

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It should not be a problem.

You could get 7 days after paying 1900 baht for an extension that is declined.

just trying a avoid a red stamp, my visa expires on the 28th  i fly 5am on the 6th, flights were really expensive/ hard to find around the 28th

2 hours ago, stevymac said:

I'm doing just a quick out in border run for an extra 90 days. Anyone know any good hotels to stay in in kanchanaburi? Cheers guys

I thought the Good Times Resort was a good place to stay. Clean rooms, good staff, tasty food. 1400 baht including breakfast.

Just got back from a border hop at Phu Nam Ron. Very easy and cheap

Can get train to Kanchanaburi from Bangkok Noi (Thonburi) 100 baht.

Bus from K'buri bus station was only 50 baht (one-way). Van to return was 80 baht. Note that bus station is not walkable from train station or bar area. Motorbike taxi 30 baht will get you there.

As stated 960 is 'all-in' fee for border hop. You sit in car on the Myanmar side while agent takes your passport into small shack and returns with entry/exit stamp.

I get the impression that it would be difficult to take your own car across. Unconfirmed.

Left K'buri on 10 AM bus and was back at hotel by 3 PM. Hidden gem IMO

Thanks for the report. I'll ask nicely about taking my bike through to get my entry stamp... Last time the immigration guy said 'no' but the customs guy said 'ok, and it is up to me.' Let's see. I'll head out this week.

1 hour ago, 50BahtLeo said:

Just got back from a border hop at Phu Nam Ron. Very easy and cheap

Can get train to Kanchanaburi from Bangkok Noi (Thonburi) 100 baht.

Bus from K'buri bus station was only 50 baht (one-way). Van to return was 80 baht. Note that bus station is not walkable from train station or bar area. Motorbike taxi 30 baht will get you there.

As stated 960 is 'all-in' fee for border hop. You sit in car on the Myanmar side while agent takes your passport into small shack and returns with entry/exit stamp.

I get the impression that it would be difficult to take your own car across. Unconfirmed.

Left K'buri on 10 AM bus and was back at hotel by 3 PM. Hidden gem IMO

So asking nicely no longer works! Without official paperwork, Thai vehicles cannot be taken over...

This crossing is busier than it was 3 years ago, much busier. I asked the Customs' boss and he politely explained how things have changed and he can't get away with it anymore, "It is too busy here now."

If you can avoid it, don't go in the first few days after a major holiday! The Q of Burmese was 100 long when I got back across! There is no specific window for non-Burmese foreigners, so I had to wait a 30+ minutes to get through...

It took precisely two hours from Central Chaeng Wattana to the border, 90 minutes to cross and get back, and precisely two hours to get back. At 27 Baht per liter, I spent 440 Baht on fuel.