Woman claims rape at Bangkok massage parlor and says police refused to prosecute

webfact

Woman claims rape at Bangkok massage parlor and says police refused to prosecute

ra1.jpg

File photo: Surawong Road

BANGKOK: -- A woman has gone onto a Bangkok expat forum to claim that she was raped on Sunday by a male masseur at a well known massage parlor near Patpong.

Jessica Siobhan alleged that at 3pm on Sunday she was raped by a male member of staff at the Tarntawan Massage opposite the Meridian Hotel in Surawong Road.

She said that despite shouting "no" in Thai and English she was held down and raped. The attack only stopped when she kicked her attacker, she claimed.

She said it was an "awful experience" and she felt "violated".

But after she went to the police her ordeal continued, it was claimed.

She said on Bangkok Expats on Facebook: "I was in the police station with a room full of hostile male police until after midnight.

"The man that raped me was laughing and making "you're dead" throat gesticulations at my boyfriend", she alleged.

She further claimed that the police sided with the massage place and blamed her for choosing a male masseur when there were females available.

She claimed that her alleged attacker was not charged just made to apologize.

She warned other expats to not go to the massage parlor in question.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-13

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Rape is a terrible crime, and should never go unpunished.

Reading this thread, something not quite correct.

She went for a massage ok, but females available to provide the service and she chose male. WHY?

maybe she was not expecting to be raped by anyone

22 minutes ago, colinneil said:

She went for a massage ok, but females available to provide the service and she chose male. WHY?

I'm a man and prefer a massage by a female and never been raped.

One of my Western women colleagues was touched inappropriately by a woman massage therapist. She complained and almost had the woman fired, but <deleted>. Another friend (Thai woman) was propositioned by one (another woman). It's not the customer's fault if they are assaulted (weird that this statement needs to be made. Many massage men here - particularly around Patpong - are pretty effeminate-looking, and no doubt she felt safe choosing him if over the other women available at the time. 

Probably a communication issue. If she went to a happy-ending place for men and women and chose a male masseur then, unless she had the Thai to make clear she just wanted a man's touch but nothing more, the expectation would have been she wanted "full service".

I know it's not PC to say this but it's pretty stupid to go into a massage place in a country known for pay for pleasure, disrobe and ask for a man to knead your body in a closed room. Unless ... Nah, I don't think she was entirely innocent. My guess is she started out wanting full monty but got cold feet at some point.

Hmm most massage parlors around BKK and especially around Patpong and lower Sukhumwit are not really massage centered...
If you want a professional massage then either go to a spa for oil massage or somewhere where the local Thais goes for Thai massage.
Thai massage:

On Khao Sarn road 350-500B/Hour (if you go for the places that really focus on massage and not the ending...)

At Watpo 260B/Hour

Around On Nut 100-200B/Hour (last time I was there I was the only foreigner and there were more than 10 Thais getting massage in the shop at the same time)

Today, living outside BKK I have 2 choices in the city... 100 B/hour for Thai massage with no option of a happy ending or 150 B/Hour for Thai massage with no option of a happy ending... AC or no AC that's the difference :)

On 3/13/2017 at 11:08 AM, colinneil said:

Can I ask why not?

Maybe she likes a strong hand giving her massage, obviously male masseurs might be stronger as female masseuses.

So by choosing a male masseur she invited to be raped?

As to why she wanted a male, I have a female friend that is a US marine ( she is NOT gay believe me ) who prefers a male massage her ...  A male will use the power of his hands the way she wants -->> non sexual,  also have a Japanese female friend that prefers a male masseuse for same reason.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

She further claimed that the police sided with the massage place and blamed her for choosing a male masseur when there were females available.

Case closed. I guess the male masseur just figured she was there for the same same. Rape is bad but she sure stepped into a pile of doggy do by going in and having a male attendant. 

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Stronger hands?  On the Infrequent occasions I have a massage I ask for the strongest masseur.

Just a guess.

In general, if a foreigner goes to the RTP (Royal Toy Police) it rarely ends well here. They are really not much of a law enforcement agency. More of a revenue collection agency. So, where is the money in this case? And how often do you think Thai men get charged with rape, and serve prison terms for it? Would a foreign woman have any credibility here, with regard to her claim of rape? 

I have heard of very few cases, where a foreigner ended up satisfied, after involving these fabulously incompetent, poorly trained, and indifferent police. 

The problem is that Thai police is fed up with female tourists crying rape when it's false or unjustified most of the time - this is really unfortunate for genuine victims who have difficulty seeking justice from the attacker. I don't know if this situation is real or not, I wasn't there, but IMO she should have chosen a female employee.

Whatever happens, a man never has the right to rape a woman, but women should also take necessary precautions to not put themselves in situations where they could be vulnerable. Both sides have an equal share of responsibility.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Maybe she wanted to push the envelope and the wheels fell off the wagon. 

Maybe she wanted a proper massage from someone stronger than a woman.  Maybe she'd had women give her massages and found them too soft.

After reading through these posts,

it's pretty easy to see why the lady who reported her experience to the local Police,

had such a hard time getting them to press charges.

I can totally see the guy giving the massage,

threatening the boyfriend, while he stood by his girlfriend, 

even in front of the Police,

as this is typically how the locals deal with accusations placed against them.

As the Police,

from my experiences;

are always on the side of their own citizens;

unless there's a chance that the press might get involved,

or they see this as a chance to improve their image in some way,

for doing their jobs.

Anyone whose lived here for some time, 

knows this to be true...

The responses here on this site,

seem to be completely looking at possible ways to share the responsibility onto the victim.

My position is,

that regardless of why the female customer wanted a male masseuse to provide her with a massage,

is irrelevant really,

and we can't expect the customer to know that the location she was in,

was less than desirable for the kind of true service she may have been truly seeking i.e. thai massage.

She appears to be a victim of what she hadn't signed up for.

The irony of the whole thing is,

she was probably charged for this, 

and paid to avoid even more issues with the owner of the place.

Then there's the issue of how when things negative do truly occur, 

Thailand is known to come after foreigners trying to report it on social media, 

as the country looks at these negative posts about their beloved country, 

as simply a smear tactic, which should be censored at all cost.

I truly hope this female is being completely forthcoming and honest about her claims, 

and if so, feel for the female who had such a negative experience, 

while her guard was down,

as she was only trying to experience what little Thailand really has to offer, 

aside from visiting it's temples.

Which is what the officials are claiming the tourist come here for in the first place, 

not the seeding side, which they also claim they are trying to clean up, 

to protect their image as a whole.

The male posters on this site should at the very least, 

try to look at it as what it would feel like if this had happened to your girl friend?

The male posters wouldn't likely be spending their efforts on how to share the blame, 

but more on how it needs to be sorted out, yes?

As well as how to sort through the ordeal with their partner?

Hopefully the boyfriend is standing by his lady, 

the alleged victim here, and not second guessing her as well.

It's going to be a long flight home...

She should be able to get massaged by anyone she chooses, however the story has it wrong, from the Facebook thread:

They blamed me for using a male masseuse despite the fact that I was told there were no females. 

I always choose a female.

I don't expect sex or anything.

Just don't like being massaged by men.

This woman has the right to choose who massages her without being raped for making that choice.

Doesn't have to explain or justify why.

3 hours ago, The Dancer said:

Probably a communication issue. If she went to a happy-ending place for men and women and chose a male masseur then, unless she had the Thai to make clear she just wanted a man's touch but nothing more, the expectation would have been she wanted "full service".

I know it's not PC to say this but it's pretty stupid to go into a massage place in a country known for pay for pleasure, disrobe and ask for a man to knead your body in a closed room. Unless ... Nah, I don't think she was entirely innocent. My guess is she started out wanting full monty but got cold feet at some point.

You're right on one point only...it's not PC to victim blame.

It is wrong however to say those criticising those who victim blame are being PC.

Victim blaming is just wrong.

3 hours ago, The Dancer said:

She must have had oil massage naked, very tempting for the masseur if she was a looker.

But not right.:post-4641-1156693976:

Ive seen many a Japanese video.  Male guys always end up having sex with female clients....................lol.    What does a girl think when they have to strip buck naked for a massage is going to happen.

PS im not a fan of RAPE.

3 hours ago, chuang said:

She must be wearing bikinis....

For Men, for oil massage you have to remove everything except a towel. Sometimes they give disposable underwear, they are very uncomfortable.

For women no idea, but she did not explain what she was wearing. But there is a possibility of rape, but the problem is how to prove, until and unless one of his balls damaged from the kick.

Police definitely want to close the case with a huge compensation. Probably lady boys safe for women ?

Archived