What Do You Like About Thailand?

chinadarling

Donz quoted;

'There is quite a few of them sort of Farangs in Thailand, they all just paraniod that everyone hates them"

Them sort Farangs? What are you talking about? You are generalizing and dividing the farangs between us and them! Please get a grip of yourself. There's no place for rascist comments on this forum!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donz quoted;

'There is quite a few of them sort of Farangs in Thailand, they all just paraniod that everyone hates them"

Them sort Farangs? What are you talking about? You are generalizing and dividing the farangs between us and them! Please get a grip of yourself. There's no place for rascist comments on this forum!

What are you talking about man?

maybe you just donta understanda my speaka engrish propelly??

I love it because it is

- Interesting. You always spot something that surprises you. Be it five people and a dog on the same motorbike, a spontaneous parade by some obscure Chinese cult, a fruit you have never seen before, a colourful insect, a weird person (farang or Thai, the place is full of weirdos of all sorts).

- Beautiful. There are so many scenic spots all over the country, well worth going to.

- Different. Spice of life.

- The same. People still feel pretty much the same thing inside, they just manifest it differently.

- The contradictions. In no country have I felt so much kindness, and along the same lines, in no other country have so many people been so intent on fleecing me for a few extra bucks. There really are all sorts of people here, and it makes life more exciting, although tiring sometimes.

- Cheap. I can eat excellent food for a fraction of the price it would cost back home. I can afford to have a new car, rent a decent house, and generally not worry too much about money. A lot of time back home was spent thinking about money.

- Wholesome family entertainment.

Excellent post! :o

I love it because it is

- Interesting. You always spot something that surprises you. Be it five people and a dog on the same motorbike, a spontaneous parade by some obscure Chinese cult, a fruit you have never seen before, a colourful insect, a weird person (farang or Thai, the place is full of weirdos of all sorts).

- Beautiful. There are so many scenic spots all over the country, well worth going to.

- The same. People still feel pretty much the same thing inside, they just manifest it differently.

- The contradictions. In no country have I felt so much kindness, and along the same lines, in no other country have so many people been so intent on fleecing me for a few extra bucks. There really are all sorts of people here, and it makes life more exciting, although tiring sometimes.

- Cheap. I can eat excellent food for a fraction of the price it would cost back home. I can afford to have a new car, rent a decent house, and generally not worry too much about money. A lot of time back home was spent thinking about money.

Excellent post! :o

Agreed! :D

I love it because it is :o

- Interesting. You always spot something that surprises you. :D

large.jpg

Be it five people and a spontaneous parade :D

large.jpg

a colourful insect, ;)

large.jpg

and me also

large.jpg

a weird person (The Farang and the place is full of weirdos of all sorts).

large.jpg Like me "Kan Win"

large.jpg

Opps wong photo

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Opps once again wong photo, taken in U.S.A :D

- The contradictions. In no country have I felt so much

kindness,large.jpg

along the same lines,

large.jpg

in no other country have so many people been so intent on fleecing me for a few extra bucks.

There really are all sorts of people here,

large.jpg

and it makes life more exciting, although tiring sometimes. :bah:

large.jpg

- Cheap. I Kan eat excellent food for a fraction of the price it would cost back home. I Kan afford to have a new car, rent a decent house, and generally not worry too much about money. A lot of time back home was spent thinking about mokey.

large.jpg

Hope we answered your question OP. Without “meadish_sweetball” I could not have done this.

Thank you “meadish_sweetball

Yours truly, :bah:

Kan Win :o

P.S. Happy Days :D

Thailand has been home for over 25 years and I love it more than 100% of any other options as home. Sure there are times when I am upset about issues ( politics ) but not to the degree of hate. The occassional Thai jerk :D or taxi driver from hel_l, bar girl with attitude, hawkers overcharging, parking, driving, police, lining up at ATMs, etc... are common and should be considered norms for not liking Thailand or any other piss bucket in today's world. Expats don't always wanna be here and others do. The wife, kids, job, not like home, etc... will dish out pain during a 4 yr tour, but others surf in out with comfy ops. Wordy, but in all I respect the Top to the bottom in the Kingdom of Thailand and the many Thais who are my family, friends, employer and/or enemy. :D

Thailand is best for me and my family. :D

:o

Thailand has been home for over 25 years and I love it more than 100% of any other options as home. Sure there are times when I am upset about issues ( politics ) but not to the degree of hate. The occassional Thai jerk :D or taxi driver from hel_l, bar girl with attitude, hawkers overcharging, parking, driving, police, lining up at ATMs, etc... are common and should be considered norms for not liking Thailand or any other piss bucket in today's world. Expats don't always wanna be here and others do. The wife, kids, job, not like home, etc... will dish out pain during a 4 yr tour, but others surf in out with comfy ops. Wordy, but in all I respect the Top to the bottom in the Kingdom of Thailand and the many Thais who are my family, friends, employer and/or enemy. :D

Thailand is best for me and my family. :D

Oh yeah, that reminds me...for every taxi driver who is rude, aggressive, refuses to pick you up when you really need to get home, or takes you half-way around whoop-whoop pretending not to know the way, there's one who re-instils your faith in people by being polite, friendly, helpful, and giving you back at least some of your change. Same with hawkers, etc.

the things i love about thailand,

1. noodle soup

2. red BBQ snapper for 100 baht

3. the sensational eye candy ( thai and falang) :D

4. rambuttri street ( dog <deleted> alley)

5. rambuttri village inn. ( 450 baht )

6. ad the 13th. ( blues club )

7. MBK.

8. weekend market ( 100 acres)

9. towers of brown frothy ale ( german ale ) at the night market

cricky's punters i could go on for ever as the old pollyanna is starting to surface. :D

so in conclusion i just frigging love it all. :o

cheers punting friends :D

Its people have characteristics you would hardly find anywhere else. These include:

-Respectful

-Patient

-Calm

-Humble

Are we in the same country? :o

Really. That sounds like the talk of a visitor, or newbie, not of an expat.

Unless he was thinking about Canada when he said that.

I like the lack of Christian influence here.

Dont come to Chiang Mai, this is Jesus freak central!

They don't really bother anyone.

Just stiff the Thai servers in restaraunts on any tips! :o

I bet the Israelis are big tippers

There aren't many Israelis here getting paid big bucks to convert Buddhists to Christianity. :D

• 4 weeks later...
I think one of England's greatest literary figures, Samuel Johnson, said it best long, long ago...

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave Siam. No, Sir, when a man is tired of Siam, he is tired of life; for there is in Siam all that life can afford."

OK, he actually referred to London, but my point remains the same :o

You had me going on that one!

I was thinking, how could one of England's greatest literary figures come up with bs like that...then I scrolled down and sighed with relief.

Thailand, Pattaya especially has become a victim of its own success, farangs have told farangs back home how cheep it is and how friendly the people are, now the farangs have come here in their thousands and the prices have rocketed and the smiles have all but disapeard.

Edited by undercover

Thailand, Pattaya especially has become a victim of its own success, farangs have told farangs back home how cheep it is and how friendly the people are, now the farangs have come here in their thousands and the prices have rocketed and the smiles have all but disapeard.

Every good place in the world is the same, where is next ?, Pattaya is not Thailand anymore and that is from 10 years ago, but there is more to Thailand than Pattaya. Where ever you go and live its upto you to choose what you want and how to live your life. Im always happy where I work, but Im more than happy to come home to live in Thailand.

:o:D

I think one of England's greatest literary figures, Samuel Johnson, said it best long, long ago...

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave Siam. No, Sir, when a man is tired of Siam, he is tired of life; for there is in Siam all that life can afford."

Jet: Yeah...Samuel Johnson in Siam? My brain's chugging (alzheimers settin in?)...qualtrough's lyin'...

OK, he actually referred to London, but my point remains the same :D

Got me. :o:D

Edited by Jet Gorgon

there are places i'll remember-all my life though some have changed-some forever not for better-some have gone and some remain-all these places have their moments-with lovers and friends i still can recall-some are dead and some are living-in my life i've loved them all---------but ofall these friends and lovers-there is no one compares with you-and these memories lose their meaning-when i think of love as something new-though i know i'll never lose affection-for people and things that went before-i know i'll often stop and think about them-in my life i love you more--------------though i know i'll never lose affection-for people and things that went before-i know i'lloften stop and think about them-in my life i love you more-in my life i love you more----------john lennon/paul mccartney.

Some love it.....

Some hate it.....

Some have never even been here.....

Some live here, some don't.....

There are all types on TV, some can't get over the fact that Thailand isn't like where they originated from!

Personally, I love it, will never move back to the states. Yea, it can be corrupt, who cares. Do I miss home? No, been gone so long, I don't even think about it anymore.

Oh lord, yes. I've been outside the USA for so long that I would feel like an alien in my birth country.

Had some very good experiences in LOS and also some that were bad.

Basically my adopted home, or home away from home, is in Bangkok. Most of the people I care for are there.

Will be going there for retirement in about 2 years or so.

No place is paradise, there are always some problems wherever you chose to live.

But as for me, in spite of the ocassional problem, Thailand is where I chose as "home".

Any place I hang my hat is home.

:D

Its people have characteristics you would hardly find anywhere else. These include:

-Respectful

-Patient

-Calm

-Humble

Are we in the same country? :o

Really. That sounds like the talk of a visitor, or newbie, not of an expat.

Unless he was thinking about Canada when he said that.

I've been here for 4 years now and I would agree with the first 3 characteristics, but I've met very few thai's who were humble. Perhaps, the women are a little humble, but the guys, almost never.

In business there is a passive aggressive behaviour that is more obstructive to progress than anywhere else I've ever worked (which is about 13 countries now).

A bit of humility and less confidence in the 'Thai way and culture' would go a long way, but similar things could be said of some european cultures (perhaps all!), and definitely Americans!

As Larry Wall says; 'There's more than one way to do it' ..... providing it works, which is the problem in Thailand, so many things just don't work.

Things I love about Thailand are the relaxed attitude to life and rules & regulations. The tolerance and willingness to see past external appearances to value an inner beauty (there are many many farang here who would have been looked down on in their own countries but here can be themselves and get the respect of the Thai people). I love the food, though I'd really like some decent bread, cheese & wine. Plus I'm tired of always having to specify 'not sweet'.

Beaches are ok, but there are better in many, many other countries.

There are lots of positives and negatives in Thailand, but on balance the people are nicer here than most places, even if it is often superficial.

Perhaps what is best about Thailand is it's potential, which is probably why so many farangs on this forum rant about the negatives. It is so sad to see that potential going unfulfilled.

One other thing is that the more you understand the language, the better Thailand gets, because you start to see some of the motivations (kriengjai etc). Learn to speak and read Thai fluently and things will make more sense (mea culpa here, but it's on my NY resolution list!)

I see a lot of complaining on here. Does anyone actually like Thailand?

Came here 21 years ago .... fell in love (with the country) and the love affair is still burning passionately and probably will until I shuffle off this mortal coil!!!!!!!

Well I for one can say I love Thailand, the people the climate and Thai food, it's a beautiful country with a lot of different scenerys, and a lot of activitys.

I love how honest and hardworking the people are. But most of all how helpful the people are.